• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

I just like her as Becky because there's such a huge gap between how she's dressed and how she acts and talks. It's hilarious to me.

Also I got a thing for older ladies in pig tails.

real thing. It fades out before it actually happens just as they are going in though

Erica Lindbeck is great. She's Kaori in Your Lie in April's dub and turns in a fantastic performance there.
Oh, she did that? Nice! Top tier voice talent. I'm also lovin' the Yusuke and Ryuji English VA too, even though I was weirded out by Yusuke's voice in the trailers and previews.
Same, I'm not a fan of loud people for one thing...

I would never, ever have been friends with someone like Ryuji when I was a teenager, so that's part of my distain for him.
Yeah I guess that would be a part of it. Honestly though, I didn't really have any Ryuji's in my friend group and I'm finding him as one of the best characters in the game. SL Rank 8 with him right now.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I just like her as Becky because there's such a huge gap between how she's dressed and how she acts and talks. It's hilarious to me.

I just like the older ladies in general this round. then again it's probably because I am late 20s and not really interested in the culture of the younger generations as much

Was going for the Doc but.... Teach was irresistibly cute

I like that it feels like shes actually supporting you. My biggest problem with relationships in Persona games is that romancing someone doesn't really get brought up outside of the social links or a few in game events. Its nice that Kawakami actually has a presence
due to being able to call her for help. Also loved that scene where you go fishing with Ryuji and bump into her at the pond. That look on her face after I told Ryuji to call her "master" Kawakami was priceless.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah I guess that would be a part of it. Honestly though, I didn't really have any Ryuji's in my friend group and I'm finding him as one of the best characters in the game. SL Rank 8 with him right now.

I mean, it's easy for me to say I'd probably chill with Ryuji since he's such a bro and I'm aware that he has had a hard life. But if I didn't know anything about the guy, I'd stay far away....

I won't lie, her maid outfit does nothing for me. Never been my thing. And I hate the pig tails, I vastly prefer when her hair is all messy.

It's mainly her "Can't be bothered" attitude that has interested me from Day 1.

I like that it feels like shes actually supporting you. My biggest problem with relationships in Persona games is that romancing someone doesn't really get brought up outside of the social links or a few in game events. Its nice that Kawakami actually has a presence
due to being able to call her for help. Also loved that scene where you go fishing with Ryuji and bump into her at the pond. That look on her face after I told Ryuji to call her "master" Kawakami was priceless.
Yeah I noticed some of those events in P4/P4G but there seems to more and I appreciate that. Though I really want more of this in the future P6 or P5 Crimson edition. Moar events of hanging out with multiple people, MOAR!

Yeah I noticed some of those events in P4/P4G but there seems to more and I appreciate that. Though I really want more of this in the future P6 or P5 Crimson edition. Moar events of hanging out with multiple people, MOAR!

Itd be neat if they added ways to rank up skill points by going on dates or something.

I mean, it's easy for me to say I'd probably chill with Ryuji since he's such a bro and I'm aware that he has had a hard life. But if I didn't know anything about the guy, I'd stay far away....

I won't lie, her maid outfit does nothing for me. Never been my thing. And I hate the pig tails, I vastly prefer when her hair is all messy.

It's mainly her "Can't be bothered" attitude that has interested me from Day 1.
Oh then me too. I feel like our social groups wouldn't even collide. The Phantom Thieves are basically the sole reason these teens even hang with each other.

I guess that makes understand why he is so damn excited about the team, even acting stupidly about it. He is pretty loyal though.

mollipen

I just like the older ladies in general this round.

We need to be able to go back in time and romance the P3P teachers
especially as FeMC
:

ZlvKzFL.jpg

DGlztzp.jpg

bmof66B.jpg

Brakke

Banned
makotoneogaf7buh2.png

How tf is Becky "supporting" you when you're paying her a goddamn full time salary and half the times she comes over she just naps in your dang bed.

makotoneogaf7buh2.png

How tf is Becky "supporting" you when you're paying her a goddamn full time salary and half the times she comes over she just naps in your dang bed.

It's worth it later on when she's coming over every night to make curry and lockpicks while you're out doing other things.

Brakke

Banned
Who's paying $50 for mediocre curry when you can get down with Lady Death and snag some SP regen gear?

Becky is fleeting consumption, Tae is investment.

squall23

Where can I find a former failed politician that I can talk politics and conviction with?

Toranosuke is clearly the best non-party member since
he's one of the very few that figures you out with you having never actually done anything while also having no real personal problem.

Shengar

"Chuunis"? "Yamato nadeshiko"? My man's post here was translated by the same team that localized this game...

Yamato nadeshiko = Japanese ideal model of a woman. They usually have calm demeanor, like Hifumi. If you play previous game, Yukiko from Persona 4 also fall into the same category (until she laughs anyway).

Chuuni = Delusional in a juvenile/childish way. Think of it like some children or teenager play pretend by turning their grandpa walking sticks into sword.

Yamato nadeshiko = Japanese ideal model of a woman. They usually have calm demeanor, like Hifumi. If you play previous game, Yukiko from Persona 4 also fall into the same category (until she laughs anyway).

Chuuni = Delusional in a juvenile/childish way. Think of it like some children or teenager play pretend by turning their grandpa walking sticks into sword.

He knows what they are, he's just being a jerk.

so i finished the 4th dungeon, made a save and hooked up wit ann, just to see what going to happens....then I overwrote the save instead of reloading it -_-
am i screwed ? can i hook up with someone else without ruining everything ?

taco543

giphy.gif

But for real though I really love the whole story and build up of kawakami, and the drastic dynamic between her as kawakami teacher and her maid Becky. I was on a complete media blackout before the game came out so I knew nothing about the romance options in the game so when the game finally came out I was decided to romance Futaba then after I saw Tae I googled to see if you can romance her, then when I saw you can romance Becky and her story I finally decided.

Sounds like a real girlfriend amirite??? Lol

Meh, I am not digging her looks and her presumptuous assumption of 'I know why you're always visiting me, come on don't be shy' level 9 Confidant talk turn me off completely, to be honest.

I don't dig the fact that it's creepy as fuck that adult women are going after 16 year old boys, myself. Outside of the romance angle Tae and Becky are cool though.

I just maxed the Becky link on the non-romantic angle.
Her overall story was pretty cool, and it was nice to see her go from the POS she was at the start of the game to a teacher who actually cares. That douchebag couple got blown the fuck up when I went after them in Mementos, used Ose and did a Charge planning to follow up with Heat Wave, only for Futaba to attack buff everyone right before I did it. They got one-shotted for like 1200-1300 HP. XD

Also started the Shinya one.
His clothing making up the message "get smoked noobs" made me LOL. I'm feeling this is gonna be a case of "hang out with the kid because his home life sucks with nobody to talk to even though his mom works hard to support him" scenario.

I realized I haven't even started the Makoto link and I'm past Palace 5 lol. Haven't been bothered to max Charm and I don't really use her that much anyway. I should probably get it started soon though.

Meia

Ryuji's insta kill ability fucking SUCKS. I can't grind for money because of it

Agreed. Was so hyped for it when I saw it, getting Earthbound flashbacks of getting victory screens with exp and yen without having to fight trivial fights I could just Rush through, and instead it just gives whatever persona the fight had. This in itself wouldn't necessarily be bad, if you could actually swap out a persona you already have so you could choose if you want the new one, instead of just getting a "ROSTER IS FULL LULZ" message. >>

Don't even think there's a way to turn it off, either. I'd rather rush through a battle to get a few yen/exp if exploration is going to be stopped to clear the shadow from the field anyway.

I realized I haven't even started the Makoto link and I'm past Palace 5 lol. Haven't been bothered to max Charm and I don't really use her that much anyway. I should probably get it started soon though.

You'll want to max or at least get everyone in the Phantom Thieves at rank 9.

The rank 9 confidant skill helped me countless of times in later stages. (Left with 1 HP instead of KO after getting damage).

Agreed. Was so hyped for it when I saw it, getting Earthbound flashbacks of getting victory screens with exp and yen without having to fight trivial fights I could just Rush through, and instead it just gives whatever persona the fight had. This in itself wouldn't necessarily be bad, if you could actually swap out a persona you already have so you could choose if you want the new one, instead of just getting a "ROSTER IS FULL LULZ" message. >>

Don't even think there's a way to turn it off, either. I'd rather rush through a battle to get a few yen/exp if exploration is going to be stopped to clear the shadow from the field anyway.

Yeah Ryuji's ass ends up on the bench if I want to grind at the end of a palace day for extra exp/$$$

Finished a few more confidants

Priestess

Really enjoyed this, course I am a sucker for the whole pretend to be dating plot. Also has an interesting subplot with the sketchiness of host clubs and kidnapping and tricking teenaged girls. Makoto is really likable, much more than Fuuka and Yukiko, though i like them too, with a much more interesting backstory with a police officer father. Given how much of the story pushes her in the forefront, her leadership role, and yknow the cutscene where you save her at the end of the pyramid, it's hard not to think she's the "canon" love interest.

Her new persona sucks though. She was cool when she rode a motorcycle, now it's just a transformer

Emperor

Yusuke's confidant is mostly just a follow up on the Madarame incident, which was necessary. Pretty interesting stuff with the competition of the art world. Also a cool aspect is its one of the few confidants that force you into Mementos during their story segments.

Don't like how his new Persona is Susanoo.
You gave that Yosuke, remember, Atlus?

Devil

I liked this confidant. Ichiko was basically your Lois Lane/Vicky Vale. She was a fun character, and having Yukiko's voice actress do the voice was a fun little in joke. The backstory tie in to the main plot was cool.

Death

another cool confidant and fun character. Her treating you like a guinea pig was funny. Though I do wish her confidant tied in somehow to the main plot.

Temperance

A three-fer, people with a maid fetish, immoral teacher-student fetish and older woman fetish. This was a really dumb confidant but pretty funny. Her final skill is pretty useful and hilarious.

Fortune

CULTS. She was kind of whatever. Naoto was better, so was the doctor kid from Persona 3.

Heirophant

Discount Dojima. It was nice to see him mellow out, also nice to see Futaba show up a lot during the confidant. My only problem with it is that the game doesn't properly tell you that this confidant is gated by story progress.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Finished a few more confidants

Priestess

Really enjoyed this, course I am a sucker for the whole pretend to be dating plot. Also has an interesting subplot with the sketchiness of host clubs and kidnapping and tricking teenaged girls. Makoto is really likable, much more than Fuuka and Yukiko, though i like them too, with a much more interesting backstory with a police officer father. Given how much of the story pushes her in the forefront, her leadership role, and yknow the cutscene where you save her at the end of the pyramid, it's hard not to think she's the "canon" love interest.

Her new persona sucks though. She was cool when she rode a motorcycle, now it's just a transformer

Emperor

Yusuke's confidant is mostly just a follow up on the Madarame incident, which was necessary. Pretty interesting stuff with the competition of the art world. Also a cool aspect is its one of the few confidants that force you into Mementos during their story segments.

Don't like how his new Persona is Susanoo.
You gave that Yosuke, remember, Atlus?

Devil

I liked this confidant. Ichiko was basically your Lois Lane/Vicky Vale. She was a fun character, and having Yukiko's voice actress do the voice was a fun little in joke. The backstory tie in to the main plot was cool.

Death

another cool confidant and fun character. Her treating you like a guinea pig was funny. Though I do wish her confidant tied in somehow to the main plot.

Temperance

A three-fer, people with a maid fetish, immoral teacher-student fetish and older woman fetish. This was a really dumb confidant but pretty funny. Her final skill is pretty useful and hilarious.

Fortune

CULTS. She was kind of whatever. Naoto was better, so was the doctor kid from Persona 3.

Heirophant

Discount Dojima. It was nice to see him mellow out, also nice to see Futaba show up a lot during the confidant. My only problem with it is that the game doesn't properly tell you that this confidant is gated by story progress.
Ended up telling fortune to STFU out loud last night. Pissed me off somehow

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Still early with Ohya, but she might be my favorite. Wish her skills didn't suck so much.

Really want to advance her social link. But her skills are fucking useless and ive filled up charm and i dont want her as my characters waifu

Ill have to wait till new game +

Settled with Makoto for this playthrough ( makes most story sense ) and nifumi for NG+

And if i do NG++ ill go full pimp

Damn, no one here stanning for chihaya? I find the hiding accent schtick to be really cute.

Honestly, I like it much better when people don't hide their dorky/bumpkin accent.

I'd love there to be a theoretical physicist who's just like "Well ah reckon yer Personers are just a physical manifestation of the gestalt feelings of longing to belong what with someone and the anger at society's inability to pony up tah whatcher jawin' bout. Y'all"

The problem with Ryuji isn't so much that he's loud, is that he's such an idiot who gets pissed off way too easily. So many problems your group faces are either due to him or they get worst because of him. And he also flips the fuck out at everyone.

I didn't mind him as 'the brute' but yeah I would have loved to have been only regular friends with him and be besties with yusuke.

Brakke

Banned
He knows what they are, he's just being a jerk.

What nah! I googled them... just reminded me of some of the quiz questions in this. Like how in the world am I supposed to know about the legendary magistrate or whatever. Now my knowledge is 4 creeping on 5, I wish Becky let me skive off class more reliably.

Top Bottom