• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Ok for some reason this is bugging me. For the first social link for Futaba

Minor Social Link spoilers

And I mean literally the first one that you get for free when Futaba messages you and says she wants to pick up a game and to meet her in akihabara. One of the conversations choices after you find her says "are you a r word" what is that r word? I can't for the life of me remember it but it stood out to me because I had to look up what it meant.
remora

Finally romance the best girl
Makoto
. I might go for Hifumi as a side waifu because I love her social link. Her chunni-ness is such a
turn on

So if i date 2 girls, how does the valentine scene go?
Do I get beat up by my two waifu?

Finally romance the best girl
Makoto
. I might go for Hifumi as a side waifu because I love her social link. Her chunni-ness is such a
turn on

So if i date 2 girls, how does the valentine scene go?
Do I get beat up by my two waifu?

the 1-8 girls you didn't pick show up on 2-15, kick the shit out of you, but then best bro sojiro covers for your ass and all is forgiven

Jintor

i'm thinking about the slinks i experienced to date and the only one I can even see looking at on an NG+ is haru, maybe hifumi, maaaaaaaaaybe tae. everyone else feels... wrong to romance.

of course everyone compared to makoto feels super wrong to romance

what i'm saying is makoto is dope

Zafir

i'm thinking about the slinks i experienced to date and the only one I can even see looking at on an NG+ is haru, maybe hifumi, maaaaaaaaaybe tae. everyone else feels... wrong to romance.

of course everyone compared to makoto feels super wrong to romance

what i'm saying is makoto is dope
Heh yeah. I'm just doing a harem playthrough to see everything. I don't particularly think a lot of them feel right.

Sorry guys but the teacher stuff is ridiculous. She's an awful teacher who effectively sabotaged everyone else's learning so the MC can make lockpicks in class. Never mind the fact she's dating a student despite what happens at the start of the game.

I've not gotten very far with the reporter/writer but she's awful too.
She decides to cover up doing something wrong by "breaking who knows how many laws" in terms of saying that she's dating the MC.

Futaba seems like a sister, so enough said...

I'm going to see myself out before I get torched by everyone. :D

idk how anyone gets past 10/26 and calls Futaba "just a little sister". She manages too much on her own and has so much growth to be relegated to just a reference to the MC in some kind of contrived familial relationship. Despite social issues she isn't some little kid. Still just a teenager though. And shes the one
that stands up to Sojiro to defend Joker

Ignoring romance altogether, Futaba never comes off as a little sister to the MC

Weebos

Banned
idk how anyone gets past 10/26 and calls Futaba "just a little sister". She manages too much on her own and has so much growth to be relegated to just a reference to the MC in some kind of contrived familial relationship. Despite social issues she isn't some little kid. Still just a teenager though. And shes the one

Ignoring romance altogether, Futaba never comes off as a little sister to the MC

Yeah, I agree, I've seen people say that a lot and never got that impression. Maybe the Japanese voices make it feel that way more?

LotusHD

Banned

Yeah, I agree, I've seen people say that a lot and never got that impression. Maybe the Japanese voices make it feel that way more?

Well I'm not yet there, but meh, the game did everything in its power to make me feel that way and overall uninterested in her like that. So I am. (Playing w/ English dub, not that it'd matter)

Also CoD kid was totally alright too by the end of it.
I havent disliked any of the social links ive done yet. Even Devil ends up being a really good story by the end. There hasnt been any tutored kid or Ken here.

EDIT: Ann's was pretty lame actually...but not annoying like the 2 I mentioned above

Sylas

None of those things are things that a sister-figure wouldn't do. But I agree--her feelings towards Joker are more or less puppy love because he's the first person that's been genuinely nice (outside of Sojiro) to her in god knows how long. It's why I couldn't romance her. It'd be taking advantage of that fact and that's kinda grimey (beyond her being 15).

A.J.

Banned
What I don't get is how they seem to position Makoto as the canon pairing (main narrative scenes of closeness with Joker, her above average importance to the team, all her extra scenes with Sae, the "fake boyfriend" business) but then they totally botch her Confidant with an impersonal and highly externally focused B-plot and just the least emotionally justified romance initiation. It was a real disappointment.

Crazy to me that some modern S. Links are still spending so much time focusing on other people and not the relationship of the character and the MC.

I don't know. I think it makes sense for Makoto's link to focus on her helping other people since that is her thing.

kewlmyc

3 games in (featuring dating sim elements) and you think they would have implemented a way to break up with your current lover. Nope, just gotta be with her forever or cheat on her, no other way.

Astral

I feel like I can't go anything but the harem Route because aren't the girls all over you? It would feel bad rejecting them. It's also a lot less interesting being friends. I'll feel bad once Valentine's hits.

I feel like I can't go anything but the harem Route because aren't the girls all over you? It would feel bad rejecting them. It's also a lot less interesting being friends. I'll feel bad once Valentine's hits.
in main story scenes most of the girls dont really show much. Makoto and Futaba both kindve do but you can interpret that shit in a million ways. During Slinks though by rank 8-9 you manage to get hints from basically all of them. Letting them down gently can be pretty bad. Joker doesn't have much tact

Astral

in main story scenes most of the girls dont really show much. Makoto and Futaba both kindve do but you can interpret that shit in a million ways. During Slinks though by rank 8-9 you manage to get hints from basically all of them. Letting them down gently can be pretty bad. Joker doesn't have much tact

It was the same in 4. I would've felt like such an ass rejecting them all. I don't remember if it was like that in 3. I think it was with Chihiro at least. God I didn't have it in me to reject Chihiro. Not that I would've, but poor girl.

This is a big reason why I wish Atlus would just put in some confidants/social links that DON'T end in romance no matter what you do. It would've made extra sense given how many adult confidants there are, and you lose a) the inevitability of every woman throwing themselves at you and b) having to turn everyone down with some pretty cold lines. I mean, different writing could fix the second issue, but the first one's pretty hard to get around as-is.

This is a big reason why I wish Atlus would just put in some confidants/social links that DON'T end in romance no matter what you do. It would've made extra sense given how many adult confidants there are, and you lose a) the inevitability of every woman throwing themselves at you and b) having to turn everyone down with some pretty cold lines. I mean, different writing could fix the second issue, but the first one's pretty hard to get around as-is.
actually thats a new thing for P5, going full Harem. P4 only had 2 non party Slinks (actually 3 but only 2 per playthrough) that could turn to romance.

I wouldnt mind a party member that isnt an option because they fall for another party member, but then shades of not being able to get with Junpei in P3P

actually thats a new thing for P5, going full Harem. P4 only had 2 non party Slinks (actually 3 but only 2 per playthrough) that could turn to romance.

I wouldnt mind a party member that isnt an option because they fall for another party member, but then shades of not being able to get with Junpei in P3P

about p3p
you can even have the femc confess to junpei just to to be shot down

Pejo

Man, I really want to pick Ann, because she's got an ace design, but she just seems like a femme-bro. In fact, out of all of the romance-able girls I've run into in the game, only Makoto has any interest in the MC. Kinda strange for a waifu game, honestly.

I know... ; ;

and that was great, they really need to put some characters out of your reach, so they can have more deep relationships with other characters!

but no, now you need to be able to date everyone, or else some players will not be happy.... that's also why they removed the penalty that was in p3 if you date everyone...

so now i don't care, i just date everyone, be a dick, and laugh at the bonus scene
(also i was happy that i picked futaba for this moment, i retried the scene after that with an other girl, to see futaba's angry reaction... and she was the only one crying... my poor heart)

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I wonder how many of you that are "hot for teacher" have gotten past Level 8. Her's is a sad story and I felt bad about taking advantage.

I wonder how many of you that are "hot for teacher" have gotten past Level 8. Her's is a sad story and I felt bad about taking advantage.

Man, I don't think you have to wait until level 8 for that storyline to be sad. It's pretty much the only reason I'm kind of sort of okay with that confidant even existing, because
it stops being about titillation/sex comedy extremely quickly

Oh, hmm, I must've forgotten that. Maybe that's why it feels more in-your-face in P5.

Yea, I think thats why

P4 + G:
Chie
Yukiko
Naoto
Rise
Ai
Yumi/Ayane
Marie

P5
Ann
Makoto
Futaba
Haru
Tae
Sadayo
Ohya
Chihaya
Hifumi

So its 2 more in P5 than P4G, 3 mroe than P4.

I havent gotten to valentine's day, but hearing people say what happens, is it as strong of an "I fucked up" moment as P4G's individual rejection scenes
and that was great, they really need to put some characters out of your reach, so they can have more deep relationships with other characters!

but no, now you need to be able to date everyone, or else some players will not be happy.... that's also why they removed the penalty that was in p3 if you date everyone...

so now i don't care, i just date everyone, be a dick, and laugh at the bonus scene
(also i was happy that i picked futaba for this moment, i retried the scene after that with an other girl, to see futaba's angry reaction... and she was the only one crying... my poor heart)
As much as it disappointed me during my playthrough, it was to the benefit of P3P anyway, so i wouldnt mind seeing of that. Playing wingman for a party member would be pretty cool

There's no penalty in P3 for dating everyone. You're forced to date everyone who can be dated in P3 to do a max SL run (P3 doesn't have friend/romance choices at all). The penalty is for having people simultaneously in between the romance initiation and the rank 10 as part of the time management thing.

Junpei was only out of reach cause they already had so much of his character development and final persona intertwined with Chidori and P3P wasn't going to have the central plot diverge based on social links.

The one event in Ann's social link when Ryuuji also participates caught me by surprise. It's so rare for other members to pop into each other events, but I wish it happened more often.

Brakke

Banned
The best part about coffee is having Becky do it. You go out on the town, swing by a gun shop and having a dude do work customizing five guns, then you pop over to Akihabara to buy some fertilizer, then you come back home and swap out all the dirt in your houseplant, then you step out to watch a feature-length movie across the street... and you still have time to doze off at the counter waiting for Becky to finish boiling some dang water.

And then you just carry that coffee around in your bag for three weeks.

☕️

Ultimadrago

I agree with you. Though I somewhat see where people would make the connection. Girl with feelings of neglect/isolation lives under the same house with a father (figure) that also cares for the MC and learns to smile again thanks to the MC's intervention. Futaba hides behind the main character when they feel uncomfortable (stretching here, but I know that'd be a common bullet point). Um, they're also short?

The connection certainly seems more like projections of Dojima and Nanako from Persona 4 or "Short teenage girls only exist in anime to be little sisters". I won't say that there's no connections to any anime archetypes ever, that'd be disingenuous, but the label doesn't work for me this time. Of course, others are allowed to interpret relationships as they like.

(Anne pairs better with Ryuji than MC!)

is it as strong of an "I fucked up" moment as P4G's individual rejection scenes

I need to watch a compilation of this.

Ultimadrago

They are brutal, especially Naoto and Chie

Man, you weren't kidding. Ouch. The Persona 5 take is certainly more tongue-in-cheek by comparison. I appreciate the attempts for both approaches in their own ways.

I'm getting conflicting reports on this Valentines scene. Are your relationships gone after that point, or how does it effect them after that?

I've only seen evidence that everything goes back to normal/unchanged the next day. Don't take my word for it though.

Top Bottom