• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Tactica has leaked. Persona 3 Remake coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One.

Gambit2483

Does Xbox really think Persona is going to make them relevant in Japan?

Or is this for the Western audience 🤔

I have to assume they are putting up a LOT for ATLUS to put this on Gamepass day n' date..

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

I have to assume they are putting up a LOT for ATLUS to put this on Gamepass day n' date..
Aren't they allowed to show a cool new remake of a classic? It ain't even a cash grab attempt. It's just "Look at this cool shit". Shame it leaked but all knew that Persona 3 remake was real.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Meaning GIF

I appreciate they're bringing more JRPGs to Xbox even if it's not the focus of the consoles primary audience.

Diversity in line up is never bad.

Ozriel

M$FT

I’m happy I just play games without worrying about it ‘moving the needle’ or about sales in another territory.

JRPGs don’t do crazy numbers on Xbox, so they’re unlikely to be paying a crazy amount of money for this.

Did you not watch the PlayStation showcase?
This seems like a trailer scheduled for the Xbox event. You wouldn’t see other platforms listed there.

Any source for this?

Maybe those core fans will grab gamepass or just buy it on pc or ps?

What I was saying is, some may just choose to get it in Game Pass instead of buying it on PS, Xbox, or PC.

I'm just curious how much B2P sales expectations on non-Game Pass (or non-Game Pass heavy platforms) plays into the payouts MS does for these sort of Game Pass deals.

Do you really think this is going to be Xbox exclusive? That's some next level cluelessness.

I never said or suggested that, lol.

Their source is that they read thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best post it in another thread.

Is it substantiated ? of course not, lol.

Gematsu pointed it out for Wo-Long, and they also said a similar embargo occurred with Scarlet Nexus.

So there is definitely a pattern for 3P games presented at Xbox conferences (Game Pass or not) that are multiplat, not having other non-PC platforms mentioned until 1-2 days later.

Those fans are still getting the games, no?
It's a Japanese franchise where 95%+ of sales are on PS and NSW, of course it's coming to non-Xbox platforms. This was likely supposed to be revealed at the Xbox Games Showcase in a few days so it only has Xbox logos for that reason.

Gambit2483

What a hot take.

Many will be happy about this, why are you trying to downplay it
MS runs a business. Every Gamepass deal they make is an attempt to move the needle or keep retention, as every subscription service does.

Was just wondering if this was the former or the latter...this is obviously, Great news for Xbox series owners (including myself)

I'm glad this is releasing early next year, along with FFVII Rebirth too, they're both dropping just before the absolute nuclear disaster of the US election sets off. I am genuinely pleased about this, but also sad that I'll probably end up in one of those "Gaming will kill you" videos after I play the hell outta three long ass JRPGs three months in a row. That's right, Dragon's Dogma 2 is guaranteed to release in the same time frame as well. Absolutely BASED year!

I'm not so sure about that. The way I'm seeing it, MS and Sega/Atlus probably have some baked-in expectation for B2P sales volume on non-Game Pass platforms. So ironically, the better the game sells on said platforms, the less it costs MS to get them as Day 1 in their service. Sega/Atlus are a special case as well because I think the Sega x Azure partnership from early last year is providing MS some gaming benefits GP-wise that might keep the upfront costs they're paying down, since they are compensating that through Azure-related stuff for Sega.

Which, hey, that's smart business. I do wonder how some of the more diehard Persona fans feel about it, since it's their willingness to buy the games at launch which ironically helps MS make these types of deals. It would ALSO be nice if it shuts up the people who constantly complain about Sony not needing to pay as much as MS for 3P deals because of larger market share, because the truth is Microsoft directly benefit from Sony's market share and B2P sales advantages for Game Pass Day 1 deals!

Which also would theoretically show that, no, they don't have to lean into acquisitions in order to "compete" but that is getting into another discussion best had elsewhere.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Did Sony prevent publishers and other platforms stating that their games are coming to other platforms for days after the event? No. The press releases mentioned the other platforms.

Microsoft appears to include a clause stopping publishers from discussing other platforms for a number of days after the announcement.

Who cares?..if they've paid the money to get it on gamepass and the publisher has agreed to the terms let them share their news.

This is exactly what people asked for. For Microsoft to secure third party deals.

Ev1L AuRoN

Nice addiction to Gamepass, it makes sense being on the service, I don't believe Persona has too many fans willing to pay on Xbox platform, gamepass is a nice way to get people to try the game and maybe be hooked in the series. I'll definitely buy day one on PS5. Hopefully it's not a 70US$ game.

P5T if it has a switch version, I'm getting it for it. I love Tactical RPG so I'm interested.

lachesis

I'm glad that Atlus is keep releasing things on Gamepass. I just hope someday Falcom will also release Xbox ports with their games.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Loving all of it, I loved Persona 5 so much I want to get more into the rest, but after they released P3P my hopes fell from the sky. Also that other game must be like "Persona 5 Devil's Survivor" or kinda. Loving it so much!

L*][*N*K

Banned
Wonder how it'll go over with some of the core fans in the fanbase not on Xbox. It's a risky move on Atlus's part.
I don’t think it is exclusive, the announcement is through Xbox’s event but I am sure it will come to everything at launch (or eventually at least), after Persona 4 on PC Sega realized how stupid it is to make a game exclusive and they stopped doing that.

Who cares?..if they've paid the money to get it on gamepass and the publisher has agreed to the terms let them share their news.

This is exactly what people asked for. For Microsoft to secure third party deals.
I don’t have a problem with them getting deals, but to stop publishers talking about another version of the game that is releasing altogether for a number of days is very weird.

Is this a joke? I see, "Is it coming to Xbox?" when watching PS showcases just as much is not more.
But then after the show all the press releases, Xbox et al all mention the other versions. It appears Xbox stops publishers doing that for a number of days after their announcements.

If you can see the difference, well, that’s on you.

adamsapple

for MS yes because they own a subs services. but for Atlus they looking for their game potential profit.

Sega will be paid handsomely for putting the game on game pass day 1. They're getting paid for both sales and the game being on game pass.

Game pass stays the best deal in gaming.

Always.

Last edited:

Fabieter

This is a weird thing to get defensive over. This is definitely shady business. I know everyone is doing it and business blabla but this is something we should ms call out for.

Sega will be paid handsomely for putting the game on game pass day 1. They're getting paid for both sales and the game being on game pass.

These deals are only possible because there are multiple platforms where it will still be bought in droves anyway. If that goes away and subs are a primary way to consume games than we will see game development changing. I dont get why people are so shortsighted.

Last edited:
I don’t think it is exclusive, the announcement is through Xbox’s event but I am sure it will come to everything at launch (or eventually at least), after Persona 4 on PC Sega realized how stupid it is to make a game exclusive and they stopped doing that.

Just to be clear I wasn't trying to suggest Persona 3 Remake is Xbox-exclusive. That would be IP suicide for a JRPG 🤣. I was talking more about how core Persona fans on PlayStation would feel about these games going to services like Game Pass Day 1, or if somehow the same happens with Persona 6 (I don't think it will, but you never know).

Will it change their decision to buy the games Day 1 or just go get them in Game Pass, or wait until they show up on PS+, that type of stuff. Because IMO I don't think MS pays out the ass for these games in GP both due to the Sega x Azure strategic partnership, and because they alongside Sega/Atlus expect a certain amount of B2P sales from non-Game Pass platforms. So ironically the games actually selling on PS or Nintendo makes the deals cheaper for MS.

I just find that part both kinda funny and also kind of ironically twisted. But, at least it makes more sense than the people who keep believing MS should be able to get Game Pass Day 1 deals for 3P games Sony has marketing rights to. Those arguments never held up and when you look at some of these GP deals, the arguments demonizing Sony paying less for 3P deals don't hold up under even modest scrutiny, either.

Fabieter

Just to be clear I wasn't trying to suggest Persona 3 Remake is Xbox-exclusive. That would be IP suicide for a JRPG 🤣. I was talking more about how core Persona fans on PlayStation would feel about these games going to services like Game Pass Day 1, or if somehow the same happens with Persona 6 (I don't think it will, but you never know).

Will it change their decision to buy the games Day 1 or just go get them in Game Pass, or wait until they show up on PS+, that type of stuff. Because IMO I don't think MS pays out the ass for these games in GP both due to the Sega x Azure strategic partnership, and because they alongside Sega/Atlus expect a certain amount of B2P sales from non-Game Pass platforms. So ironically the games actually selling on PS or Nintendo makes the deals cheaper for MS.

I just find that part both kinda funny and also kind of ironically twisted. But, at least it makes more sense than the people who keep believing MS should be able to get Game Pass Day 1 deals for 3P games Sony has marketing rights to. Those arguments never held up and when you look at some of these GP deals, the arguments demonizing Sony paying less for 3P deals don't hold up under even modest scrutiny, either.

Iam on switch, pc and PlayStation. I dont boycott day one game pass games but more often than not I will wait to get them on some kind of discount or key store on pc. Wont be different with atlus. If publishers think this is sustainable so be it.

adamsapple

This is some odd gatekeeping here.

If you're* a "core" persona fan and you are on the PS eco-system, the game being on game pass shouldn't be an issue for you at all. You will still get it on the platforms you have, if interested.

If you're* someone whose going to pout and say you won't buy the game because of this decision, you weren't really a core fan in the first place, since nothing is being taken away from you.

* not you you specifically, in general the kind of folks who say things like "how dare they, I'm not going to buy the game now"

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Legit question but do people actually buy Persona on Xbox? I know Switch and PC, and obviously PS5 yes, but Xbox? I feel like Microsoft is marketing the games... for PS5, Switch, and PC lol.

Fabieter

Legit question but do people actually buy Persona on Xbox? I know Switch and PC, and obviously PS5 yes, but Xbox? I feel like Microsoft is marketing the games... for PS5, Switch, and PC lol.

Well you won't hear about the other versions for 48 hours after the announcement. :p

wtf?

XBOX customers can happily buy it or play it by subscribing from Game Pass, one way or another Sega and MS get money from that.

Btw, XBOX owner myself and I bought SH2 and P5 Royal despite being a Game Pass subscriber

reksveks

Xbox version will likely be play anywhere, it was nice also that the mods for p4g worked and that save transferred to the console version without any issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom