• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Playing FES atm and wonder about SL. Are they affected by time between meetings or by number of times I spend time with a person?
During a social link event (a meeting where you rank up the link) , you earn points by answering correctly during the multiple choice conversation options. Earn enough points to trigger the next social link event. If you didn't earn enough points to trigger the next event, you'll have to spend time (a meeting with no rank up) with the person to earn enough points before the next event will trigger. So if you want to maximize your social links, make sure you answer correctly during conversation (usually expressed as 3 musical notes over the character's head) to maximize your points at each event, and avoid the wasted "spend time" meetings. Time between events doesn't affect anything.

Also, does anyone know where this image/poster(?) is from?
8gW1pts.jpg

Thanks NichM and Spectrasonic

I'm in the middle of August and I'm enjoying myself greatly. It is completely different from anything I've imagined or expected and still as good as everybody was making it to be :) Except Tartarus ofc but good still overcome the bad.

I now know I won't be able to max all S-Links and it bothers me alot but I guess that is part of the game. Feels strange I don't have any S-Links with any of my partners although I see that at least 2 are doable
Fuuka and robot girl

I need to finish this before MGS comes or I'll never finish it :p In any case great game I'll be back with more thoughts later on.

P.S. Just wish I knew I could use evening time for SL or Charm/Courage/Academics. I always went to study in the evenings first few months :)

arue

Looking at that height chart, I'm 2 cm shorter than Fuuka and Naoto. :')

That's amazing. Great work, Arue. Love all the little details, like Shinji's absolutely terrified look as he's seeing the results of Fuuka's and Yukiko's cooking.
Thank you!

Sophia

Crazy, crazy idea, but maybe they made them taller in an attempt to appeal to an oversees audience?
There's any number of possible reasons, that one just sprung to mind.

I don't think so. I think writers just have a tendency to write their characters taller than average. Can think of a few other JRPGs where the characters are tall like that too.

I know this is a tad-bit off-topic, but I felt it fits here.

On August 17, 2015, four days after registering the previous domains, ATLUS CO.,LTD. has registered http://www.atlus.hk

For those who do not know, .hk is the TLD (top-level domain) for Hong Kong. This further hints at an Asian expansion of ATLUS outside of Japan, with domains for .asia and .tw being registered on August 13, 2015.

Here is the WHOIS for those curious:

Part of atlus.hk WHOIS said:

EDIT: www.atlus.sg discovered! Also registered on August 17, 2015. .sg is the TLD (top-level domain) for Singapore, which is another part of Asia. WHOIS below:

atlus.sg (Registered on August 17 said:

I don't think so. I think writers just have a tendency to write their characters taller than average. Can think of a few other JRPGs where the characters are tall like that too.

I can believe that. My exposure to Japanese media isn't as intense as most people here, I imagine.

MSMrRound

As a Singaporean, signs of a Atlus.sg sounds quite exciting. If it means there will be more support e.g local R3 English versions of various Atlus titles (so that I can play it on my local Vita and not miss out on potential themes and DLCs etc), I'm all for it.

Sophia

I can believe that. My exposure to Japanese media isn't as intense as most people here, I imagine.

All the characters in Xenogears, for example, are above average too. The hero's ethnicity is basically the game's version of Chinese and yet he sits at 5'8" (177 CM). Another character is pretty much Japanese, yet sits at 182 CM (5.9 and a half)

And then you've got Chrono Cross and it's 40 something playable characters. Most of the cast either sits at above 5'7", or they're insanely small (under 5'0", sometimes significantly)

TLDR: Writers don't know what average is. >_>;

how long does it take to max your stats in p3fes?

Also, does anyone know where this image/poster(?) is from?

i like how everyone is all up on yu and chie is just "whatever"

this also reminds me of something i was thinking after i finished p4,
are Rise and Yukiko the only of the main girls that showed interest in Yu before starting a lovers relationship?

Setsu00

how long does it take to max your stats in p3fes?

I only played P3P, but I was so inefficient that I didn't manage to max my stats til the end game. I would assume that you can do it faster.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it. We probably do enough hating Atlus round this place but a brand new shiny Atlus Asia would be a real slap in the face.

I mean it's cool that Atlus has enough success outside of Japan to actually warrant something like Atlus Asia, but I'm a bit jealous that they chose Asia over Europe. I don't know, it probably makes sense from an economic point of view, but still.

VegiHam

I mean it's cool that Atlus has enough success outside of Japan to actually warrant something like Atlus Asia, but I'm a bit jealous that they chose Asia over Europe. I don't know, it probably makes sense from an economic point of view, but still.

I'd like to see the numbers on that one. It's not that I don't believe it, I just don't want to accept it.

FluxWaveZ

I'd like to see the numbers on that one. It's not that I don't believe it, I just don't want to accept it.

Superficially, I imagine the Asian market as a whole has an aesthetic preference for the kinds of games Atlus makes relative to the European one. Establishing a presence in the same region as OG Atlus probably facilitates things compared to establishing one in another continent, too.

These domain registrations are interesting. Really wonder if they're a sign of something to come or if they're not going to lead to anything. It could be prep. work for the Asia specific version of the inevitable SCEJA conference that always happens.

VegiHam

Superficially, I imagine the Asian market as a whole has an aesthetic preference for the kinds of games Atlus makes relative to the European one. Establishing a presence in the same region as OG Atlus probably facilitates things compared to establishing one in another continent, too.

Is that the case? The first bit I mean. As I understand it France loves Anime stuff and JRPGs and China hate them. The last part makes tons of sense but I still don't like it.

FluxWaveZ

Is that the case? The first bit I mean. As I understand it France loves Anime stuff and JRPGs and China hate them. The last part makes tons of sense but I still don't like it.

I don't know about France, but where have you heard the latter? From the news I've been following concerning the full legalization of video game console sales across China and last month's PlayStation China press conference, it's been the opposite: they also like the anime aesthetic.

VegiHam

I don't know about France, but where have you heard the latter? From the news I've been following concerning the full legalization of video game console sales across China and last month's PlayStation China press conference, it's been the opposite: they also like the anime aesthetic.

Huh, news to me. I was just going of anecdotal stuff but fair enough guess it makes sense.

That said though I always just assumed Atlus didn't have the capability to expand. Now it seems there could've been an Atlus Europe but they just didn't prioritise it...

On a side note, in Hong Kong every kid watches Cantonese dubbed anime. Though I'd say the golden age of anime there led by Doraemon is over though.

Does Atlus not already publish in Asia? There's at least an Asian version of P4D listed on Play Aisa, and that seems like a fairly common thing in general. I'm also wondering how common it is for companies to have Asian specific divisions.

Does Atlus not already publish in Asia? There's at least an Asian version of P4D listed on Play Aisa, and that seems like a fairly common thing in general. I'm also wondering how common it is for companies to have Asian specific divisions.
Probably most non-Asian companies that want to go international, though recently there's a lot more of the opposite going on. There are a lot of North American companies being bought as regional subsidiaries of Chinese companies.

cj_iwakura

The translation of Midsummer Knight's Dream on Netflix is so inaccurate, heh. 'Toto' for Thoth, 'Aegis', 'Tower of Destruction', obviously a literal translation from someone who didn't play the game.

The visuals and music are so on point, though. They actually made Strega's Personas look menacing.

Wow, that was a chilling ending. They gave Shinjiro so much more character.

I hope we still get Akihiko's monologue in 3. That was the best moment in the game, that scream.

chrixter

I'm doing my best to stick with Persona 3 FES. About 20 hours in, near the end of June. The plot hasn't hooked me yet because it's barely progressed. The main cast so far isn't as compelling as I'd hoped. And Tartarus feels like a chore since I've yet to receive any payoff for grinding these blocks other than the sense of accomplishment from being able to push further.

This is... very different from my experience of P4G, which I loved from the beginning. Memory tells me it felt better paced with more frequent storytelling, plus the characters were immediately likable and their interactions highly entertaining. Finishing dungeons felt rewarding in their resolutions of individual character arcs, which were all interesting. So I expected something similar from P3 (I don't hold any of the differences in gameplay mechanics against it).

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying it enough to continue and I do plan to beat it. P4G took me 100+ hours and I'm only 20 into P3... I'm just kinda bummed that I'm experiencing this large of a gap in quality between 3 and 4 when both are so highly regarded. Like, it's baffling to me that I have yet to establish a single social link with anyone at the dorm when those are the characters I want to interact with the most. The game HAS to pick up significantly eventually, right?

Koriandrr

Atlus Europe will never exist, right? ;-;

I honestly don't understand why they haven't done that. All the other Japanese companies have at least a tiny EU office to avoid making these mistakes. And I'm pretty sure they'd find people begging to work for them here, myself including.

The translation of Midsummer Knight's Dream on Netflix is so inaccurate, heh. 'Toto' for Thoth, 'Aegis', 'Tower of Destruction', obviously a literal translation from someone who didn't play the game.

They kinda switch between localised terms and transliterated ones, which is a bit hm.

cj_iwakura

I'm doing my best to stick with Persona 3 FES. About 20 hours in, near the end of June. The plot hasn't hooked me yet because it's barely progressed. The main cast so far isn't as compelling as I'd hoped. And Tartarus feels like a chore since I've yet to receive any payoff for grinding these blocks other than the sense of accomplishment from being able to push further.

This is... very different from my experience of P4G, which I loved from the beginning. Memory tells me it felt better paced with more frequent storytelling, plus the characters were immediately likable and their interactions highly entertaining. Finishing dungeons felt rewarding in their resolutions of individual character arcs, which were all interesting. So I expected something similar from P3 (I don't hold any of the differences in gameplay mechanics against it).

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying it enough to continue and I do plan to beat it. P4G took me 100+ hours and I'm only 20 into P3... I'm just kinda bummed that I'm experiencing this large of a gap in quality between 3 and 4 when both are so highly regarded. Like, it's baffling to me that I have yet to establish a single social link with anyone at the dorm when those are the characters I want to interact with the most. The game HAS to pick up significantly eventually, right?

I think it's because you're going from the improved P4 to the very Tartarus-focused P3. That said, I loved P3, and still favor it over P4 for many reasons. There's a lot more pressure to succeed in P3, I think, and I think the cast is stronger too.

Hatchtag

Banned

I was in a similar boat but with P3P. Started with P4G, loved it. Played P3P for about 10 hours, wasn't hooked in, dropped if for over a year. But recently I picked it back up and now I'm already in November.

My tips:
-If you're not going to 100% it on your first run, skip the dungeon requests aside from the Old Documents and rescuing humans. These irritated the shit out of me with some of their backtracking. It makes the Tartarus more of a chore than it has to be, so skip it if you want.
-You really only have to complete each floor once. The bosses are a lot easier than in P4. You don't need roughly 10 levels a dungeon like you do in that game. 8 is more reasonable. Sometimes even less.
-Not very specific spoilers about who you can s-link and how:
You can't establish s-links with the same gendered SEES members. You can with the girls, but they're locked by time and stats Fuuka in June with max Courage and joining a club, Yukari in July with max Charm, Mitsuru in November with max Knowledge.
-The plot should hook you in around July or August since that's when
you have all party members and plot threads really start developing for them.
-Do the Tartarus close to the end of the month since some events that will improve gameplay (light spoilers of gameplay elements that are also in P4G:
characters joining a party and ultimate personas unlocking)
often won't happen until later in the month. Also, you'll get bigger s-link exp bonuses when fusing this way and won't have to keep going back for humans that wonder in.

Overall P3P's got a cool story and stuff. Its gameplay is inferior to P4G in damn near every way (no s-links with half the party members + the tartarus being too much of a chore), but the atmosphere and story make it worth playing.

Theodoricos

Those are some of the reasons why it's harder to go back to P3 after playing P4. It's also why it's preferable that people play P3 first.

Definitely do keep playing it, though. The final arc makes it worth it!

arue

My tips:
-If you're not going to 100% it on your first run, skip the dungeon requests aside from the Old Documents and rescuing humans. These irritated the shit out of me with some of their backtracking. It makes the Tartarus more of a chore than it has to be, so skip it if you want.
Well since chrixter is playing FES, there's no such requests in that game. They were added in P3P.

Persona 3 is really slow in the beginning and the plot doesn't really get interesting until the summer vacation. I dropped the game after I reached June because Tartarus was too much of a slog. Picked it up half a year later to finish it and it ended up to be one of my favorite games ever.

Try to endure the boring months because the plot gets better (imo) later on. There's nothing you can do about Tartarus, unfortunately.

Sophia

Well since chrixter is playing FES, there's no such requests in that game. They were added in P3P.

Hatchtag recommending to do them is interesting too, seeing as they were specifically added to give the player more to do in Tartarus besides merely hitting the top. >.>

FluxWaveZ

Calling it now: Most people voted correctly for Poll #010 (results).

A lot of people said "pessimistic," but I just think it was realistic, and it was actually one of the easier polls for me to make a decision on. September would be a bit harder, though...

I was in a similar boat but with P3P. Started with P4G, loved it. Played P3P for about 10 hours, wasn't hooked in, dropped if for over a year. But recently I picked it back up and now I'm already in November.

My tips:

Also make sure to do Elizabeth's date requests, since missing one will lock you out of subsequent ones, along with powerful personas and the weapons you can make with them.

Lunar15

One thing I'm definitely doing for P5 is avoiding any and all reviews/threads about reviews.

After seeing a few people in the Metal Gear community already start to shit the bed over generally positive reviews, I think it's best if I just shut it all off for P5. I already know that I'm buying the game due to sheer goodwill and love for the franchise so I'd rather just go in with as few expectations as possible. If I don't like it, I don't like it, and I don't want to be an unreasonable asshole who calls out reviews of games I haven't played just because I want it to be good and well received

I just really hope other Persona fans don't make the same mistake and just start acting like idiots about reviews before they even get to play the game. Review threads are almost always embarrassing.

One thing I'm definitely doing for P5 is avoiding any and all reviews/threads about reviews.

After seeing a few people in the Metal Gear community already start to shit the bed over generally positive reviews, I think it's best if I just shut it all off for P5. I already know that I'm buying the game due to sheer goodwill and love for the franchise so I'd rather just go in with as few expectations as possible. If I don't like it, I don't like it, and I don't want to be an unreasonable asshole who calls out reviews of games I haven't played just because I want it to be good and well received

I just really hope other Persona fans don't make the same mistake and just start acting like idiots about reviews before they even get to play the game. Review threads are almost always embarrassing.

I remember when MGS4 came out and the fan outrage over 9/10 reviews. I'll definitely be avoiding any further concrete info about Persona 5 outside of a release date.

Lunar15

I remember when MGS4 came out and the fan outrage over 9/10 reviews. I'll definitely be avoiding any further concrete info about Persona 5 outside of a release date.

Happens with every game. Witcher, Uncharted, etc. EatChildren had a really good post about it in another thread, but basically, the people who are already sold on a game are the people who need to discuss reviews the least. Our opinions are already colored by expectation and nostalgia, and we generally have the best time with a game when we learn as little about a game as possible.

I'm paraphrasing of course, but it rings so true, especially when P-GAF's most anticipated title of all time is coming up.

Any review thread for a hyped game is isn't going to be great, and Persona 5 almost certainly won't be an exception, best to just ignore it.

Don't really care much for reviews anyway, unless it's something I'm really on the fence about, and even then I've ignored negative review trends if something looked interesting enough and still enjoyed the game.

Calling it now: Most people voted correctly for Poll #010 (results).

A lot of people said "pessimistic," but I just think it was realistic, and it was actually one of the easier polls for me to make a decision on. September would be a bit harder, though...

The conference date hasn't even been announced yet, and there's still 11 days left in August.

Warning, delusionally optimistic speculation:
And Atlus seem to have moved the Odin Sphere update day to Thursday, leaving Friday free. Clearly this means that tomorrow will be the day we learn everything there is to know about Persona 5.

I'm paraphrasing of course, but it rings so true, especially when P-GAF's most anticipated title of all time is coming up.

Yeah, I'm totally going to avoid the P4D review threads because of this reason.

I'll just look up if P5 actually works and isn't buggy, besides that I don't really care

MSMrRound

September would be a bit harder, though...

I'm almost ready to eat my hat if there's no new info for Persona 5 coming out of Sony's pre-TGS conference/actual TGS itself.

Danganronpa: Another Episode opened the conference last year, we might see the opening slot given to Danganronpa 3/Falcom's Tokyo Xanadu (which we have yet to see a proper trailer for)...or maybe even P5?

Or maybe Sony might want to dedicate a particular segment to it just like they did last year, when they announced that Persona 5 will be available on the PS4 as well.

My own predictions: hopefully something of a Persona 5 PS4 bundle announced. If it doesn't get some of the Persona fans in Japan to get a PS4, I don't know what will.

It might have a chance of being this year's closer with PV3 unless Sony decides that they want to stick it out with Square Enix for perhaps some Dragon Quest 11 info.

Top Bottom