• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't get:

How people can strangely defend this as "it's just in a game"

So

This would have been less acceptable sitting on a bench when you miss the bus? Or if you stub your toe walking in the door?

Such a bizarre justification

All sorts of stupid excuses.

The worst Ive seen was "its just a word guys why are you all so upset"

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Well no actual proof of course, but anecdotally I know a lot of people that use the TriHard emote whenever a black person pops up on stream that don't really realize they're being diet racists, they just use the emote for light trolling and don't think anything else of it. They don't have bad intentions necessarily, they're just ignorant ofc.
Yeah, there are a lot of racists on Twitch. The people doing that have bad intentions. You don't have to wear a white hood and burn crosses to be a racist.

I'm still not seeing where there's any overlap between racists in Twitch chat and people calling out PDP.

Mael

Then again a guy who made a fortune on rape joke turns out to also be a racist fuck?
Who is exactly supposed to be surprised by this turn of events?
What's more surprising is the vast swath of rubes who find this kind of behavior normal.

I was expecting some lame ass joke that he could talk his way out of, but this is pretty damning. I wouldn't feel sorry for him if this ends his career.
Interesting to see the amount of account suicides going on in this thread earlier.
I hope US GAF is wise enough to not throw Euro GAF on 1 heap, due to some extremely ignorant posters in this thread.

Lirik is exhibit A as to why you should experience real life before becoming a full time streamer. Dude is dumb as rocks when it comes to any kind of social issues or basic logic.

I agree, and I watch Lirik daily.
It's ironic how he always blames the world/chat/internet for being so stupid, when in reality he's the one who is backwards, in dire need of some real life experience / social development. I guess that's the result of living in his streamer bubble.

Zutrax

I'm just confused by anyone who is trying to defend this. It's blatant racism, it deserves to be reprimanded.

I can understand if people who know him personally possibly wanting to try and be "on the fence" for his sake as it's a form of denial. I get that he obviously seemed to feel at least somewhat regretful after saying it in the video, but to whether he regretted it for the reasons he should is up for debate. I can sort of grasp the idea behind feeling empathy for another human behind the idea of "what if that was me who accidentally let that slip" and how you'd want to have people be on your side, but the idea is that you probably wouldn't let that slip, and if you did you should also be met with some harsh criticism.

There really isn't a fence here, you're either being racist or you aren't, people seem to see this as a spectrum, thinking that you can only be "kind of racist". Truly this isn't the time to be coddling him with how bad society has been with these things lately. The biggest issue everyone should see here is that he is an influential person with wide reach and scope. Children who see this sort of behavior who don't understand the weight behind it might mimic what he says, and if more people mimic it, more people normalize it thus giving power to those who genuinely believe it. Innocent context behind a racist action is still a racist action and causes bad side effects. Sure we can discuss just how badly someone should be reprimanded as far as punishment goes, but this kind of thing needs to be met with, at the very least, some harsh life lessons and genuine pushback.

Bahorel

copy and pasted from a fan on tumblr:

"slurs are curse words, and people will use them as such. doesnt always make it a good idea. but saying the n*gger doesnt make someone racist. it makes them insensitive to all the thin skinned POCs and white people who get offended easily.

saying a slur with no intention to hurt the minorty group it’s created for, does not make the person using that slur an asshole."

ChazGW7

EuWMP8Z.png

boogie... jesus christ... what is wrong with people man

That is one of the best GIF's I have ever seen

Caboose

Yeah, there are a lot of racists on Twitch. The people doing that have bad intentions. You don't have to wear a white hood and burn crosses to be a racist.

I'm still not seeing where there's any overlap between racists in Twitch chat and people calling out PDP.

You don't think it's possible that some people going HOW DARE YOU at Pewdiepie right now might be diet racists themselves and not realize it? Lirik isn't white so I have to assume he's been called a racial slur at some point in his life, being a brown man in America.

I'm just confused by anyone who is trying to defend this. It's blatant racism, it deserves to be reprimanded.

I can understand if people who know him personally want to try and be "on the fence" for his sake it's a form of denial. I get that he obviously seemed to feel at least somewhat regretful after saying it in the video, but to whether he regretted it for the reasons he should is up for debate. I can sort of grasp the idea behind feeling empathy for another human behind the idea of "what if that was me who accidentally let that slip" and how you'd want to have people be on your side, but the idea is that you probably wouldn't let that slip, and if you did you should also be met with some harsh criticism. There really isn't a fence here, you're either being racist or you aren't, people seem to see this as a spectrum, thinking that you can only be "kind of racist". Truly this isn't the time to be coddling him with how bad society has been with these things lately. The biggest issue everyone should see here is that he is an influential person with wide reach and scope. Children who see this sort of behavior who don't understand the weight behind it might mimic what he says, and if more people mimic it, more people normalize it thus giving power to those who genuinely believe it. Innocent context behind a racist action is still a racist action and causes bad side effects. Sure we can discuss just how badly someone should be reprimanded as far as punishment goes, but this kind of thing needs to be met with, at the very least, some harsh life lessons and genuine pushback.

Pretty much. It's indefensible. "oh i slipped and accidentally called someone a nigger" - fuck off.

"slurs are curse words, and people will use them as such. doesnt always make it a good idea. but saying the n*gger doesnt make someone racist. it makes them insensitive to all the thin skinned POCs and white people who get offended easily.

saying a slur with no intention to hurt the minorty group it’s created for, does not make the person using that slur an asshole."
hmmm. 🤔

jennetics

It's when you find out someone who does or makes something you enjoy is a horrible person.

Don't worry, I got you. I had to educate myself a couple if days ago as well: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkshake_Duck

For an example, that cool looking cyberpunk game with a unique workflow for pixel animation is about this:
KmpDjSb.png

and thus won't be getting any of my revenue.

Basically a famous person you like who turns out to be terrible in some capacity.

Edit: Jesus, beaten severely.

Milkshake duck is a reference to a thread someone made about having something your a huge fan of and then you find out they're a huge bigot.

giphy.gif

Lol you guys are so quick! Thanks for the explanation :D

Surfinn

Real life.. how does it work

Gestault

Boogie is wrong but this is just a blatantly wrong depiction of moderates.

It's lampooning a combination of things, among them:

(1) People who paint their own political opinions as "moderate" when they definitely aren't.

(2) The level of empty-headedness someone must have on some subjects to be "undecided."

You're right that an actual moderate political opinion wouldn't involve things like, for example, white supremacy or racial intolerance.

Xater

Wooof, you can tell this was written by kid. One that needs some education.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
You don't think it's possible that some people going HOW DARE YOU at Pewdiepie right now might be diet racists themselves and not realize it? Lirik isn't white so I have to assume he's been called a racial slur at some point in his life, being a brown man in America.
You're right, I guess both sides are just as bad.

ChazGW7

It's ironic how he always blames the world/chat/internet for being so stupid, when in reality he's the one who is backwards, in dire need of some real life experience / social development. I guess that's the result of living in his streamer bubble.

Couldn't agree more, but my god does his chat love that shit when he gets that way.

collige

Banned

Of course it's possible, but the "hypocrisy" as he defined is nothing more than a giant straw man.

gngf123

Boogie is wrong but this is just a blatantly wrong depiction of moderates.

It's extreme, sure. But it's the closest image I had to show my point. He always believed in "the middle" when it was Gamergaters vs people defending diversity in games, and defended the likes of TotalBiscuit at the time. His first reaction to Jontron being a racist scumbag was that he was just "trying on the idea" and "he couldn't fault him for it" (which he later went back on after everyone called him out on it)

Not all moderates are like that. Boogie is like that.

I'll remove the image since I agree it's kind of an awful one.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

So much wrong with this idiotic view.

If the slur didn't exist, you wouldn't be using that word as an insult to begin with.

The very fact that it is, is why using it in any negative context is inherently racist. Just like using Gay as an insult is homophobic. People seem to honestly think that using "fucking" before it invalidates the slur, and it's absurd.

The fucking bit is the adjective, the flavour enhancer before the insult. You can't use a slur like that without invoking why it is an insult to begin with.

Using "fucking n word" shows that being an n word is somehow the insult. That's racism. Anyone defending this by saying it wasn't meant as such misses the point so hard.

Luxorek

Little did anyone know that the real reason for WW2 was because during a playthrough of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, President Raczkiewicz decided to not tell Hitler how to get past that blasted barrel!

Never in a million years would I expect to see a reference to Polish history on NeoGaf. Alas, wrong President :p

I don't mean it like that man, c'mon. I'm just trying to figure out his thought process beyond him saying there's no defending what Pewdiepie said.

I think you think that's what you're doing. What it's looking like is not trying to figure it out, but trying to rationalize it.

Mael

Ah the infamous argument that racism doesn't actually exists.
"This here, ain't racism! It's just *something else*".
Man I wish people did this for poor people!
"He's not poor! He's living in the streets to get to the higher meaning of life!"
"He's not starving! He's doing ascetic exercise."
We could get rid of so many problems that way!

What a horrible man he is. All that money yet he still has hate in his heart. Cannot understand it at all.

Wealth does not make one a better person. Especially not if you get wealthy for not really contributing something that would justify receiving unbelievably big amounts of money.
Not rarely, it is the other way round. People forget their manners, feel untouchable, can't handle their fortunate position. They act weird, become out of touch occasionally.

Not everyone of course, but there are quite some. Sometimes you think you should pity them and for a few this might be fitting but sadly, from the experiences I gathered, some are just outright fucking assholes that have low to zero psychological strain with being pieces of shit and do not have to fear any consequences that would make them suffer in any way. A shame but it's like that.

Fuck Lirik for saying both sides are bad. Everyone is afraid of pewdiepies power. But but but i see it in chat all the time, jesus these top streamers can fuck off, all ablut money to them. Downplaying pewdiepie is good for his buisness incase he slips up too

Glajummy

Neo Member
Happily unfollowing many gaming personalities on Twitter/Twitch/Youtube because of this. I understand that there are some uncomfortable situations involving "friends" where picking a side is hard. This is not one of them.

ChazGW7

Wow, really?

They must be so confused! I mean, according to some banned people in the thread, people outside of America are dumb and simply don't understand why the word is bad.

Can't believe people actually attempt to pull that out of their ass.

This PDP drama has actually been the top news story of the day for BBC- the first story mentioned every hour on BBC Radio 1's newsbeat update. Even mentioned before Hurricane Irma.

That is PDP's reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom