• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidan

dietracists0tsl0.gif

Just a couple of years ago diet racism was all the racists things people say short of using slurs. Now we're seeing these fuckwits defending the use of slurs. Like...what DO these people consider racist?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I don't mean it like that man, c'mon. I'm just trying to figure out his thought process beyond him saying there's no defending what Pewdiepie said.
His tweet is a mix of strawmanning and tu quoque, though. He is claiming we cannot shun PDP because we're racist in Twitch chat. All he is doing is showing that he lives in a bubble and thinks the world is as ugly as that bubble.

Between some people in here trying to relativize this and learning there is a middle ground between being normal and being a racist I am really scratching my head.

kmax

Fuck Lirik for saying both sides are bad. Everyone is afraid of pewdiepies power. But but but i see it in chat all the time, jesus these top streamers can fuck off, all ablut money to them. Downplaying pewdiepie is good for his buisness incase he slips up too

PewDiePie's base is his base. They're all playing on the same team. Got to keep on earnin'.

For the actual YouTubers who speak out against racism, whoever they may be, they are the commendable ones.

Fercho

Happily unfollowing many gaming personalities on Twitter/Twitch/Youtube because of this. I understand that there are some uncomfortable situations involving "friends" where picking a side is hard. This is not one of them.

Did the same thing with jontron's situation. Hugely disappointed by a lot of youtubers I was following, insidious assholes. At this point in the game there is no place for centrists. Specially concerning white supremacy.

And once I know their views into this, it's impossible for me to separete their material with their shitty views.

TripleBee

Twitch probably needs to really crackdown on the chat that happens in the streams. Auto-bans for certain words. Some sort of delay or restriction on how soon you can chat after making an account to make bans mean something. Actually having a real staff to handle a report/ban system beyond streams and mods.

I assume Youtube Live has the same issues.

If they are essentially paying you by giving you a platform with subs/donations - much like tv they should also fine you. I'm sure a 50k fine for a big steamer "slipping up" would help clean up the services pretty fast.

Both services really need to clean themselves up in terms of what they allow from both streamers and chat.

This motherfucker...

As someone who brushed off the nazi controversy a few months back based on some really misleading shit in the report that started it all up... I'm really sorry I gave this fucking bastard the benefit of the doubt for one millisecond.

Ugh. The stink of shame feels like it permeates my whole being... damn.

NinjaBoiX

Black people often say nigger about their self or to other black people, its all of the place, in many ytclips, but thats not a problem, thats just fine because they are black then?
I know you're already banned but I want to reply anyway.

Black people referring to each other as "nigga" is usually them co-opting a slur and subverting it's use to be jovial and perhaps empowering. Very few people are going to be hugely offended at two black friends greeting each other with "ma nigga" or whatever, it's a term of endearment.

Pew venomously spit out "nigger" as an attack on someone, he even goes on to almost correct himself to "asshole" which speaks volumes about its intent.

He used a racist slur to insult someone he dislikes, it's a totally different thing.

Coda

PewDiePie was a tool before he even said all this racist stuff. Seriously people, let's watch more chill normal streamers, not attention grabbing twats.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who doesn't speak out directly against PewDiePie is trash.

This is the most popular streamer on the planet proclaiming it's fine to say nigger.

You are not in a rock and a hard place here. If you are too scared to say this is wrong you can get fucked.

I'm not sure why people keep equating being racist as only people hating/despising human beings for being a certain race/color. You can still be racist by spewing shit or doing certain actions (i.e. security guard following someone based on their color). Sometimes these thoughts/actions are done at a subconscious level, guess what they're still racist thoughts/actions even if you didn't mean to say or do them. Being ignorant doesn't excuse someone from being racist either.

The words themselves don't bother me at all anymore, I've been exposed to racist shit for a long time now, getting called a spic/wetback/illegal/beaner is whatever to me. What bothers me is that these people legitimately don't think they're racist and don't get called out/exposed for it. People who live in their own bubble and think "it's 2017, racism is dead", it's never been dead and I'm glad high profile racist shit is out there to prove to people things haven't got better over time.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I saw him a few days ago. Happened a few months back, when you guys were a bit out of pocket. The community handled it pretty well too.
Throw a PM to us on Discord should it arise. If more notice nothing is better than everyone reporting it individually so we can take care of it.

Everyone should feel welcome so there is no place for any slurs.

foxbeldin

This motherfucker...

As someone who brushed off the nazi controversy a few months back based on some really misleading shit in the report that started it all up... I'm really sorry I gave this fucking bastard the benefit of the doubt for one millisecond.

Ugh. The stink of shame feels like it permeates my whole being... damn.

Don't worry, i did too at the time. I thought it was just bad comedy at the time. Turns out he really is a racist piece of shit.

TripleBee

Also just so we're clear on the money involved - Twitch streamer lirik who is mentioned in this thread has ~20,000k subscribers paying between $5-$25 a month for a subscription.

Twitch takes $2 of a $5 sub, leaving the streamer with $3 per month from each sub. Assuming that every sub is $5 (so ignoring that some are up to $25) - Lirik makes $60,000 a month from subscribers alone. He gets in neighborhood of $10000 in donations a month, so $70,000 a month total.

That's $840,000+ a year just off of Twitch.

Zemm

Re: LIRIK:

It's pathetic when someone's reaction to seeing a figure criticized for something like this is to broadly presume that everyone else does it. Which is both not an actual counterpoint and also a totally empty deflection that ignores the group of people targeted by the behavior in the first place. And just as much, that's a revealing window on how awful the people they surround themselves with must be. I don't blurt out racial epithets as a matter of course, "accidently" or otherwise. Those around me who aren't racist slime sure don't. If that language and intent has seeped into who you are to that degree, don't justify it. Confront and change it on a personal level. Otherwise, yes, you're a racist piece of slime.

Honestly the language Lirik uses on his stream can be very dodgy and pushing the line. "retard" this, "retard" that, all the time. It wouldn't surprise me if he's used or is surrounded by stronger words than that off stream tbh.

I know you're already banned but I want to reply anyway.

Black people referring to each other as "nigga" is usually them co-opting a slur and subverting it's use to be jovial and perhaps empowering. Very few people are going to be hugely offended at two black friends greeting each other with "ma nigga" or whatever, it's a term of endearment.

Pew venomously spit out "nigger" as an attack on someone, he even goes on to almost correct himself to "asshole" which speaks volumes about its intent.

He used a racist slur to insult someone he dislikes, it's a totally different thing.

What if Pew or a other white guy spit ''nigger'' ma nigger in a jovial way. Is that acceptable?

I really dig the ''Maaaa Nigger'' Denzel Wahsington line and sometimes use it to express my thankfullness to some friends I know.

Don't kill me.

Also just so we're clear on the money involved - Twitch streamer lirik who is mentioned in this thread has ~20,000k subscribers paying between $5-$25 a month for a subscription.

Twitch takes $2 of a $5 sub, leaving the streamer with $3 per month from each sub. Assuming that every sub is $5 (so ignoring that some are up to $25) - Lirik makes $60,000 a month from subscribers alone. He gets in neighborhood of $10000 in donations a month, so $70,000 a month total.

BUT BUT BUT ITS JUST VIDEO GAMES!!

kewlmyc

How can you find out how many subscribers a twitch streamer has?

5taquitos

What if Pew or a other white guy spit ''nigger'' ma nigger in a jovial way. Is that acceptable?

I really dig the ''Maaaa Nigger'' Denzel Wahsington line and sometimes use it to express my thankfullness to some friends I know.

Don't kill me.
That shit is not acceptable. Full stop.

I hate video game-youtube culture and the boys club it has become.

Fuck your revenue, where's your sense of decency?

The use of the word here and anywhere is vile.

Don't kill me.

How about dont say it? Instead of looking for a socially acceptable way to say it how about you just stop?

rjinaz

I'm not sure why people keep equating being racist as only people hating/despising human beings for being a certain race/color. You can still be racist by spewing shit or doing certain actions (i.e. security guard following someone based on their color). Sometimes these thoughts/actions are done at a subconscious level, guess what they're still racist thoughts/actions even if you didn't mean to say or do them. Being ignorant doesn't excuse someone from being racist either.

The words themselves don't bother me at all anymore, I've been exposed to racist shit for a long time now, getting called a spic/wetback/illegal/beaner is whatever to me. What bothers me is that these people legitimately don't think they're racist and don't get called out/exposed for it. People who live in their own bubble and think "it's 2017, racism is dead", it's never been dead and I'm glad high profile racist shit is out there to prove to people things haven't got better over time.

Well just speaking from personal experience as a White man in America, White folks really don't like the idea that the things they think/say/do are racist. Thy prefer to think that racism is over so they can blame others for the problems in this country. So the standard for actually being racist is so high they they can't possibly be called one. You have to shout you are 100% a racist and proud of it from the top of a mountain in klan robes and even then you probably just need to be educated.

Twitch probably needs to really crackdown on the chat that happens in the streams. Auto-bans for certain words. Some sort of delay or restriction on how soon you can chat after making an account to make bans mean something. Actually having a real staff to handle a report/ban system beyond streams and mods.

I assume Youtube Live has the same issues.

If they are essentially paying you by giving you a platform with subs/donations - much like tv they should also fine you. I'm sure a 50k fine for a big steamer "slipping up" would help clean up the services pretty fast.

Both services really need to clean themselves up in terms of what they allow from both streamers and chat.

Twitch can but they give their employees the choice of what to allow and not allow in their own chatrooms. The best case you'll see are broadcasters who ban certain emotes, copy pasta, memes, and words from their chatrooms. Some idiots are "smart" though and they play the donation/tip/cheers game or sub game.

K N I C K E R S just donated $5! or xxxknickersxxx just subscribed! <- are probably two of the more common ones and most streamers don't even know what they just said.

God damn, that is more then Star Wars and Marvel actors make in their first movies.

I don't mean it like that man, c'mon. I'm just trying to figure out his thought process beyond him saying there's no defending what Pewdiepie said.

It's really not that complicated. For the last several decades people have been taught that the worst thing you can be is a racist.

But instead of encouraging certain people to stop saying or doing racist things, it has caused them to circle the wagons and defend people from accusations of racism, because nobody is a bad person anymore and everything is a forgivable mistake. That's at the heart of the defense force around PDP and behind the 'everybody says those words in private' belief system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom