• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

liezryou

I watched https://oddshot.tv/s/g_05U6, not a sub or like his content. his Nazi jokes did seem always seem to be in a joking context (that I saw), this does not mean they were good or not over used.(one video that I saw was enough) use of racist slang did seem brought on an 'oops' reaction from him (from the linked video context). of the little I have seen of pewds does not paint him as a blatant racist to me but I could be wrong.

Unpopular opinion but I doubt he is really a racist or nazi. is he funny? my thought is no.

not really sure if worth to be so worked up over.

What? I'm sorry but WHAT? It's ok cause it was an 'oops' moment? First of all it was an 'oops fuck i forgot i was on stream' moment. Second of all, how fucking insensitive are you? Just because something is not a big deal to you doesn't mean it will affect everyone else the same way.

Strazyplus

Wow. He said "fucking n*****". What about that doesn't seem hateful to you? How can you not see that this is racism. Why the heck are you rationalizing anti-Semitism as jokes?

You do realize that turning a blind eye to things is the first step towards garbage like the alt right forming up. "It's ok, he's not racost or anything". Meanwhile he continues to say racist and anti semitic things to his fan as ever of 50 million subs made up mainly of children and then we wonder years later why there are groups who form no reason at all have hate for other groups of people engrained into them

Made good points and are right. he should not have said that and his Nazi jokes although did seem to be jokes and I felt was not actually promotive of anti-Semitism, I do understand its not for me to judge on. sorry if it felt I was defending him.

God fucking dammit

Everyone thinks I am defending racism and fascism.

God fucking dammit.

These two situations are not comparable.
hows it not, pewd said it so did he. Reactions it should be equal.

I watched https://oddshot.tv/s/g_05U6, not a sub or like his content. his Nazi jokes did seem always seem to be in a joking context (that I saw), this does not mean they were good or not over used.(one video that I saw was enough) use of racist slang did seem brought on an 'oops' reaction from him (from the linked video context). of the little I have seen of pewds does not paint him as a blatant racist to me but I could be wrong.

Unpopular opinion but I doubt he is really a racist or nazi. is he funny? my thought is no.

not really sure if worth to be so worked up over.

Your argument is that in an all English multi-hour broadcast PDP only understood the implications of his language when he wasn't using racial slurs.

People give the word nigger way too much power. There's no other word in the English language that has so much impact.

I'm not defending anyone. Advertisers will punish accordingly

don't do this to yourself man...so you dont know the history of its use and atrocities against blacks in the Americas, huh?... ok. I'm done with this thread man.

liezryou

Made good points and are right. he should not have said that and his Nazi jokes although did seem to be jokes and I felt was not actually promotive of anti-Semitism, I do understand its not for me to judge on. sorry if it felt I was defending him.

No you were not defending him. You straight up said what he said was not a big deal and it was OK because it was an 'oops' moment and therefore nothing to 'get worked up over'.

BooJoh

I'm not a native English speaker so I have to ask: Is it possible that he simply let that slip but didn't really have any bad intention? Is that word 'banned' or something like that? Do people speak that word between friends or is it absolutely racist? Legit question, I have no idea of the weight of said word.

I mean, I'm a 37 year old American and I've never spoken the word. The idea that someone could just "accidentally" let slip such a vulgar slur without thinking about it is pretty strong evidence that they're probably comfortable using it on a day-to-day basis.

spannicus

Without knowing much about this other guy, that video makes it seem like he simply tongue-tied. I mean, it doesn't even make sense in context otherwise. Of course, if he's a known racist otherwise, carry on.
You could see the shock in maxs face when he realized what he said. That didnt look intentional at all.

liezryou

Without knowing much about this other guy, that video makes it seem like he simply tongue-tied. I mean, it doesn't even make sense in context otherwise. Of course, if he's a known racist otherwise, carry on.

He is most definitely not. I don't watch his stream much, but when i do there's generally always people of different races (including african american) playing on his stream. I'm also pretty sure his wife is asian.

These two situations are not comparable.

Absolutely, they are not.

Akibared

People give the word nigger way too much power. There's no other word in the English language that has so much impact.

I'm not defending anyone. Advertisers will punish accordingly

So I'm not supposed to be bothered when someone calls me a nigger?

People should really stop conflating these two situations then, because all they're achieving is making PDP's look less serious by association.

Edit: I see this DeeDog is an obvious alt with a grand total of three posts since 2013, so it would seem it's someone else trying to do precisely the above via false flag. Mods?

Edit 2: Damn that was fast! Thanks besada.

besada

Banned
Quit dragging the Max thing in here to make PDP look better. It's a different situation that was fully discussed at the time. You aren't fooling anyone, and the next person who tries to derail the thread with it is getting the boot.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Without knowing much about this other guy, that video makes it seem like he simply tongue-twisted. I mean, it doesn't even make sense in context otherwise. Of course, if he's a known racist otherwise, carry on.

He's not, and he quickly came up front about it and apologized.

Quit dragging the Max thing in here to make PDP look better. It's a different situation that was fully discussed at the time. You aren't fooling anyone, and the next person who tries to derail the thread with it is getting the boot.

Thank you.

Everyone thinks I am defending racism and fascism.

God fucking dammit.

hows it not, pewd said it so did he. Reactions it should be equal.
Intent, for everything you are writing the word you are looking for is intent.

What did the guy in the game do that pissed PDP off? I can't really tell in the clip.

Downed one of his teammates, survived PDP shoots then killed the downed teammate.

I want to believe if you die on the match is a perma death so his ally wont be able to play with him until the next match which could pissed him a lot despite he clearly landed a good bunch shoots on the enemy

GAF is less than 50% American. No need to go after other posters for having some blind spots about American culture. Didn't sound like it was making excuses for YouTubeCunt.

so not understanding racism is bad is just a "blind spot" about american culture now? ok werk

Jombie

I've already seen people say things like:

'I don't want to live in a world where you can't call people racist names'

'I call people faggot all the time online and I don't have a problem with gay people'

It seriously makes me want to throw my gaming shit in the garbage.

Pantz

The government should not allow him to connect to the internet ever again like they do with hackers. He probably should also face some prison time.

Aizo

Banned
so not understanding racism is bad is just a "blind spot" about american culture now? ok werk
He's clearly saying understanding the weight of the word is the blind spot. Many countries don't have the word. I think it's pretty simple for all those asking to just google and learn the history about why it's so offensive.

watershed

Banned

'I don't want to live in a world where you can't call people racist names'

'I call people faggot all the time online and I don't have a problem with gay people'

It seriously makes me want to throw my gaming shit in the garbage.
It's not the gaming stuff's fault. It's humans and society. Let's throw more people in the garbage!

Megatron

I was under the impression that pdp's audience isn't going to have a problem with this. I wonder if he's been planning to use it at some point. It makes them happy and gets him attention,

TirMcGrey

*youtuber says something racist/misogynistic/lgbtphobic*

tenor.gif

There's a fucking hurricane coming at me and tore through some of my family already. This isn't high on my priority list.

'I don't want to live in a world where you can't call people racist names'.

If only they were serious about that...
I'm advocating for them to leave the planet, not off themselves. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

A specific post was being addressed. Look at the context of the post in question and the followup. I had spidey-sense that the poster in question was being sincere about the question and would benefit from a sincere response rather than getting thrown in with the "yurop doesn't have racism" handwaving nonsense going around.

Jombie

It's not the gaming stuff's fault. It's humans and society. Let's throw more people in the garbage!

You just can't escape it. This is literally the only game-related place I've ever posted that shit like that wasn't normal. I posted somewhere for years and quit because shit like that began to overrun everything once Trump was elected.

Originally Posted by Jombie

'I don't want to live in a world where you can't call people racist names'.
If only they were serious about that...

They were very serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom