• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pewdiepie's response video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seesaw15

As always the comment section is scary. I don't hold anything against Pewdiepie but the take away his fans are getting from this situation is terrifying.

R00bot

oh look another post of meta-commentary and fights with ridiculous strawmen because nobody actually wants to engage with anyone else's real complaints

Yeah, I don't want to engage in any complaints because if I disagree with you I'll be labelled a nazi.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, I don't want to engage in any complaints because if I disagree with you I'll be labelled a nazi.

No one is labeling you a nazi.

And you could also go back at least a couple of pages.

I mean, if you don't want hit piece after hit piece about you, you get better at what you do. All PDP does is punch himself with his routines and endlessly apologize for it and he shows no care about getting better about his content, or even how he approaches his comedy.

Good offensive comedians learn and better craft their skill so it's not totally misconstrued or contributing to something they're criticizing.

But time after time PDP has shown a tone deafness to his comedy and not giving proper setup and context that he and other people have to spell it out. And if you have to explain the joke, your joke was bad and it's no wonder many would see something else in your comedy.

PDP has shown a pattern that does give his apologies significantly less weight because he just keeps doing it. And his Tumblr apology was even more along the lines of "I don't take commentary seriously," "I know my audience" and "it's just a joke, it's not serious" but goes onto say he does not hold these beliefs.

And by comparison, here is a real anti-semite using the same exact language http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1344766

Why bring that thread up? Because edgy irony and jokes with no meaning, then apologies with no substance come off the exact same way as a real card carrying racist. You're contributing to it regardless if you hold those beliefs or not.

Is he an anti-semite? I don't believe him to be. Is he contributing to anti-semitism and other forms of bigotry and hatred with his jokes with no substance or meaning? Yes. Jokes have meaning and a message, they always do. Because they carry your voice, they reflect who you are as a person and if you make bad jokes it reflects on you. So again, he's only punching himself and making himself deserving of hit pieces because he refuses to get better.

As always the comment section is scary. I don't hold anything against Pewdiepie but the take away his fans are getting from this situation is terrifying.
The majority of his audience are young and impressionable, they could easily be turning to alt-right/Nazism thanks to his normalising of antisemitic jokes and not feeling very sorry about it (only that others got offended and disagreed with his sense of humour) because this is his phase of "honesty". I don't like to pull the "think of the children" card, but there's a possibility of radicalisation as these kids grow in an internet era of such normalisation of hate speech.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
The majority of his audience are young and impressionable, they could easily be turning to alt-right/Nazism thanks to his normalising of antisemitic jokes and not feeling very sorry about it (only that others got offended and disagreed with his sense of humour) because this is his phase of "honesty". I don't like to pull the "think of the children" card, but there's a possibility of radicalisation as these kids grow in an internet era of such normalisation of hate speech.

Did Family Guy turn the previous generation into Nazis?

Lemondish

Anybody what see this as a fucking cry baby blaming the media for turning him into a Nazi?

Grow up, kid. Take responsibility. Do SOMETHING of fucking worth with all that attention

Fat4all

Banned
Like raising millions of dollars for charity?

I think they meant do something specifically with all of the attention gathering around this series of events. This could've been a big moment for PDP to take a massive stand against the kind of discourse going on now in YouTube culture, and instead he squandered it.

AESplusF

I think they meant do something specifically with all of the attention gathering around this series of events. This could've been a big moment for PDP to take a massive stand against the kind of discourse going on now in YouTube culture, and instead he squandered it.

Sure they might have meant that but it sounded more like a dumb drive by post to me.

Darryl

Banned

This dude makes reaction videos and comedy skits. "Taking a stand against YouTube culture" isn't some gradoise do-goodery. Ignoring it completely is extremely rational behavior for a grown, adjusted being.

How ridiculous have people become to expect sketch comedians to owe an obligation to moral lecturing? Have you lost all perspective? Is everything a pulpit to you?

AESplusF

This dude makes reaction videos and comedy skits. "Taking a stand against YouTube culture" isn't some gradoise do-goodery. Ignoring it completely is extremely rational behavior for a grown, adjusted being.

How ridiculous have people become to expect sketch comedians to owe an obligation to moral lecturing? Have you lost all perspective? Is everything a pulpit to you?

Exactly, he's not obligated to do anything.

Fat4all

Banned
Sure they might have meant that but it sounded more like a dumb drive by post to me.

Even so, and even if that poster was talking in general and not about these events, donating large amounts to charity is a great deed but it does not absolve people of responsibility for their words and influences over others. This apology was needed, but unfortunately took a back seat to his own personal excuses on the situation. Whether or not his excuses are valid (I think he has valid concerns in some places), they taint what could of been a more honest and sincere video about his taking a joke too far and potential reconciliation with those he had upset.

I don't believe PDP is anti-Jewish, but I think this video did the bare minimum in making that message clear, and certainly hasn't dissuaded the very vocal Alt-Right audience he had garnered.

Fat4all

Banned

Louis CK makes jokes in very similar fashions, but does not have the same enthusiast Alt-Right audience that PDP has. That's because Louis CK makes it clear what his standings are outside his comedy. Many comedians do this. There's a difference between your performance and ideology, and it's not crazy for people to want to know those differences and if they are there.

For example, idubbbz wears his ideologies on his sleeve, his work is often not very far from his views, while someone like Filthy Frank is separate from his work, where his performance is exaggeration/parody and don't usually align with his views.

Saying n*gger is a YouTube trend because the untouchable holy trinity of FilthyFrank, iDubbz, and Maxmoefoe say it's okay. Oh, and f*ggot and tr*nny, too. Slurs are okay. Just say them whenever you want, it's great.

And THIS is what normalizing bigotry will do first. You get people using the slurs more often, and the distinction between who is "joking" and who is serious starts to blur more and more, until you can be openly bigoted without getting shit for it.

This is exactly the kind of thing that pdp has been contributing to by making anti-semitic (and other bigoted and offensive) "jokes" that aren't functionally different from actually saying and meaning the thing seriously.

Fat4all

Banned
I think PDP has been trying to make his comedy more like that of Filthy Frank's for a while, or so it seems. It was bound to lose his deals with Disney and the like.

We are on gaf after all. Where everything is a sleight to us gamers and we must protect freedom of speech AT ALL COSTS.

Protect the freedom of speech for PewDiePie to share screaming videos where delusional YouTubers call for the harassment and firing and boycotting of journalists who wrote a story on PewDiePie.

I mean... He can do that.

He just looks like a child and an asshole for doing it.

Maybe free speech warriors can focus on another cause...

Nanashrew

Banned
To be honest, I am baffled by the freedom of speech argument. You're in showbiz now and this is how things work. It's not a matter of censorship or whatever, it's that a company no longer likes you because you shit the bed and destroyed a good cozy gig.

Fat4all

Banned
To be honest, I am baffled by the freedom of speech argument. You're in showbiz now and this is how things work. It's not a matter of censorship or whatever, it's that a company no longer likes you because you shit the bed and destroyed a good cozy gig.

And it's not as if he's not going to be making money anymore.

He'll just be making less money.

Altrighter assholes have appropriated the term freedom of speech to not mean "say things without the government interfering (unless it falls into forbidden things like slander)" to become "be a dick to other people and feel entitled to not be socially ostracized or ignored", and it really upsets me.

tootie923

AESplusF

So you're defending a dumbass?

To be honest with you I don't even really know why I bothered replying to that post, but it's true that he's raised millions for charity, so it's not like everything he's done is worthless.

It's the tone that people use that I find disagreeable not the stance against what PDP did or has done in the past.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Family guy had MUCH better context/setup for jokes and Family Guy is probably on the lower tier side in comedy at this point of its life. PDP is legitimately just 4Chan level of jokes.

If the argument is these jokes normalize hate then none of that matters.

janoDX

Anybody what see this as a fucking cry baby blaming the media for turning him into a Nazi?

Grow up, kid. Take responsibility. Do SOMETHING of fucking worth with all that attention

Like making a response video where it gets #1 trending, and the 99% of the votes get positive ratings, meaning that they're standing with him, and making all this discussion in an internet forum meaningless, because we're doing the same posts from page 1?.

The opinions in here will not change, everyone took their side, either you're with him, or against him. You can be in a grey area and move out like others did.

At the end of the day we all agree that we disagree with each other.

Stop with this discussion, it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom