• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT3| PS4 ways to play

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Another dumb question maybe: why can I not seem to grind some weapons? Specifically, I'm using the フルシリンダー assault rifle, and if I open the grind menu it just asks me to select another weapon whereas some other weapons just show you the grind confirmation screen.

Is there a way to adjust the screen size on PS4? Getting a little bit cut off on all sides for some reason (why some games do this and not others? NFS Rivals had it chopped heaps with no setting i could see)

Did you ever fix this? I just noticed I have the issue as well. I reduced the PS4 display area and even underscan on my TV, but some is still cut off.

Specifically around the top right side of the screen, if you're in a field and it's showing what sector you are in under the map (like E-5) then part of that will be cut off. It'd pretty minor so I don't care, just wondering.

Another dumb question maybe: why can I not seem to grind some weapons? Specifically, I'm using the フルシリンダー assault rifle, and if I open the grind menu it just asks me to select another weapon whereas some other weapons just show you the grind confirmation screen.

Are you sure you're picking the grinding option and not the attribute or element transfer options? These are all distinct things that are done at the same NPC.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Are you sure you're picking the grinding option and not the attribute or element transfer options? These are all distinct things that are done at the same NPC.

Yeah, but Hasemo pointed out on Twitter that it's an NT weapon, which I see uses a different grind system. My mistake.

Windforce

PSA: There's a 100% xp bonus in all quests today (today = 13 more hours).

Thanks. Loving it, can't stop thinking how much of a shame on Sega for not bringing this over.

I'm up to level 25 now and not even in a rush, it's a nice boost. Just doing Matter Board stuff and learning the game.

Also, a friend of mine is having problem with the PC version today (he's playing with a translator on). Error NP1013. Yesterday we played just fine (I'm on PS4, he is on PC), but today he cannot play due to something updating and now game won't work. Anyone else experiencing this?

That's Gameguard. Recently it has started specifically targeting the Tweaker, which is why GN Field exists (it renames the Tweaker while PSO2 is running, then changes it back after). There was a glitch with the last Tweaker release that stopped GN Field from booting, but if that happens you can just open the GN Field exe manually before loading PSO2.

That's Gameguard. Recently it has started specifically targeting the Tweaker, which is why GN Field exists (it renames the Tweaker while PSO2 is running, then changes it back after). There was a glitch with the last Tweaker release that stopped GN Field from booting, but if that happens you can just open the GN Field exe manually before loading PSO2.

That "glitch" also deleted the tweaker exe for me, i had to go redownload the tweaker then put the exe file into my tweaker folder again

I was wondering why steam was telling me "failed to launch" after the tweaker crashed a few times

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Every game I've played has treated the Xbox One controller like it's a 360 controller...except this one. Using it over wireless, the triggers act up and the right stick likes to not work occasionally. Gonna have to set it up using Xpadder or Pinnacle.

Zanlee

Could Sony convince SEGA to localize PSO2 to the west? It's been translated already and server costs are a fraction of what it used to be 10 years ago. Considering that there is 6x more PS4 in North America than in Japan, it would be a smart move imho. Sony seems to listen to the fans so we should be pestering SONY :)

Could Sony convince SEGA to localize PSO2 to the west? It's been translated already and server costs are a fraction of what it used to be 10 years ago. Considering that there is 6x more PS4 in North America than in Japan, it would be a smart move imho. Sony seems to listen to the fans so we should be pestering SONY :)

image.php

Sophia

The problem isn't just a matter of server costs or what's already translated, but rather what would have to be changed for western markets. The reality is, any English release would probably be missing a chunk of licensed content, may be missing story content (Japan has 4 years worth of story additions), may require a business model change to accommodate western markets, etc.

If it does happen, it'll probably happen because of the PS4 release. But don't get your hopes up.

Every game I've played has treated the Xbox One controller like it's a 360 controller...except this one. Using it over wireless, the triggers act up and the right stick likes to not work occasionally. Gonna have to set it up using Xpadder or Pinnacle.

Last I recall, PSO2 doesn't actually use XInput. Xbox 360 based controllers are probably running as DirectInput and thus may have issues like that. I remember that being an issue in regards to hitting both triggers at the same time over wired, at any rate.

Zanlee

The problem isn't just a matter of server costs or what's already translated, but rather what would have to be changed for western markets. The reality is, any English release would probably be missing a chunk of licensed content, may be missing story content (Japan has 4 years worth of story additions), may require a business model change to accommodate western markets, etc.

If it does happen, it'll probably happen because of the PS4 release. But don't get your hopes up.

I wouldn't mind paying up to 50$ for a physical copy of PSO2 if the online is free and considering the fanbase in NA and EU, I'm sure they would cover all of their licenses and expenses to localize it. Before the announcement who would've thought that Shenmue 3 would be made for PS4? I say there's still hope and that hope has a name .. SONY

Sophia

I wouldn't mind paying up to 50$ for a physical copy of PSO2 if the online is free and considering the fanbase in NA and EU, I'm sure they would cover all of their licenses and expenses to localize it. Before the announcement who would've thought that Shenmue 3 would be made for PS4? I say there's still hope and that hope has a name .. SONY

Yeah they could pull a Black Desert Online (and honestly, I think that's what they should do if they can't get the licensed content), but... again, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Plus, I imagine most of us have spent money on the Japanese version already. It's got one one of the best free-to-play models of any MMO out there. Doubt people would want to abandon their characters. I know I love my CAST and all the outfits she's acquired.

Are you playing the Japanese version now? If not, there are some useful guides to getting you set up on PC or PS4. It's pretty painless outside of the CAPTCHA boss. :eek:

Zanlee

Yeah they could pull a Black Desert Online (and honestly, I think that's what they should do if they can't get the licensed content), but... again, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Plus, I imagine most of us have spent money on the Japanese version already. It's got one one of the best free-to-play models of any MMO out there. Doubt people would want to abandon their characters. I know I love my CAST and all the outfits she's acquired.

Are you playing the Japanese version now? If not, there are some useful guides to getting you set up on PC or PS4. It's pretty painless outside of the CAPTCHA boss. :eek:

I am playing the Japanese version with the English patch and I also installed the Japanese version on my PS4 thanks to this thread ... my goal is to learn all the menus by heart with the English patch so I can play on my PS4 but it's still not the same as having a full English version on PS4. I actually prefer the Japanese VO so I really don't mind that but not understanding certain quests or story parts is a bit annoying :/

Sophia

I am playing the Japanese version with the English patch and I also installed the Japanese version on my PS4 thanks to this thread ... my goal is to learn all the menus by heart with the English patch so I can play on my PS4 but it's still not the same as having a full English version on PS4. I actually prefer the Japanese VO so I really don't mind that but not understanding certain quests or story parts is a bit annoying :/

PSO2's a good starting place to learn Japanese too, because there's not a significant amount of kanji in item names. A lot of items/photon arts/techniques/etc are written in kana, which is very similar to our own alphabet. Combined with the images and fantastic UI, it's very easy to find your way around and start learning.

rezn0r

Any tips on resetting a SEGA ID pw? I'm having a tough time with the capcha, been trying to use http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/hiragana.htm and even when I think I have it right I get errors.

On the PS4 side I keep getting errors 686 & 674... I'm usually good at keeping track of passwords too
LLShC.gif

Edit: I'm in, finally got it, wish I never stopped playing on PC, I love this.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'll quote myself from the previous PSO2 thread:
Maintaining a mmo includes creating a secure payment system (PS4 version is supposed to come with AC on PSN, but it would be stupid to not release the PC version), having a support staff, paying for servers, doing regular translations, testing updates for the other version etc. It's really not as easy as just translating the thing and throwing it out there.
Sure, someone could pay for releasing it here, but that's really just the first step and the easiest one. Even paying $40-60 for the package doesn't really change much. I doubt it would even cover initial costs. You also have to remember that the current PSO2 f2p model is heavily based on costumes, which give you no gameplay advantage which is slowly stopping to work even in Japan (hence the additions of mobile game-like stamina timers for gathering/pet feeding). At best we would probably be looking at pay to win costumes like in the SEA version, since people might need an additional incentive to play that gacha.

Not even to mention how much update wise the game would lag behind the Japanese version, which would lead to people complaining that there's no content parity with the Japanese version, that it's PSU all over again and that SEGA doesn't care.

Of course I might be mistaken, but I don't think there's a viable scenario in which PSO2 is released in the West now and succeeds. I think SEGA missed it's chance years ago.

Sophia

Related, but I think a big factor with their costume model is the fact that they can be resold, but only if you have premium. So you end up with this weird scenario where a player (who might spend up to $15 a month, give or take) could spend their money on a costume, or spend their money on premium to earn more Meseta selling items to get more costumes then they would have gotten anyhow. This is probably why the more recent outfits have been those layered ones that are tickets, rather then resellable items.

I'd personally pay for a more reliable and less random means of getting older costumes myself too.

Of course I might be mistaken, but I don't think there's a viable scenario in which PSO2 is released in the West now and succeeds. I think SEGA missed it's chance years ago.

The only scenario that I can realistically a western release succeeding in the west is one where all other factors are ignored.

Specifically, they take a page from FFXIV and share servers between Japan/US/EU.

And that's probably not going to happen for a lot of the reasons you mentioned + a whole ton of other reasons.

Zanlee

Or they could just anonymously pay the people that are making the english patch so it gets almost perfect and they wouldn't have to care about licensing and other stuff like that! Problem solved :D Btw I didn't mean to turn the conversation into a PSO2 localisation discussion. Sorry if it annoys some people :/

It's a good thing I can play with a mouse and keyboard on PS4 because I have nooooo idea how to play with a controller. It's pretty cool how you can still la-dash on in the PS4 version.

Or they could just anonymously pay the people that are making the english patch so it gets almost perfect and they wouldn't have to care about licensing and other stuff like that! Problem solved :D Btw I didn't mean to turn the conversation into a PSO2 localisation discussion. Sorry if it annoys some people :/

Localization discussion is fine as long as theres an actual dialogue occurring. The note in the OP is just there to try and dissuade drive-by single post complaints.

Personally I think that the proper window of opportunity has passed by for Sega. It's likely been too long and the revenue they could have made is long past its peak.

I have no idea how this would even accomplish anything useful. Money doesn't magically improve translation work. And why would this somehow bypass licensing requirements?

The problem is that it's plainly obvious to anyone aware of just how much work and cost a localization would entail that there is really no path forward that doesn't result in a net loss, and this thing exists in order to make money. It was obviously enough that someone had to put the brakes on the project four years ago, and the situation has not changed since then - in fact, it's even more complex now, with the game long ago having turned to cross-brand licensing to raise money. And it's getting tiresome dealing with people that don't understand the sheer scope of the problem over and over.

Zanlee

I have no idea how this would even accomplish anything useful. Money doesn't magically improve translation work. And why would this somehow bypass licensing requirements?

The problem is that it's plainly obvious to anyone aware of just how much work and cost a localization would entail that there is really no path forward that doesn't result in a net loss, and this thing exists in order to make money. It was obviously enough that someone had to put the brakes on the project four years ago, and the situation has not changed since then - in fact, it's even more complex now, with the game long ago having turned to cross-brand licensing to raise money. And it's getting tiresome dealing with people that don't understand the sheer scope of the problem over and over.

I understand but I really don't think the scope is the problem here. Bad management is the problem imho. After PSO2 was announced to the west, SEGA announced that they would only focus on the more profitable franchises. They released some of the worst Sonic games I've ever seen so they are not only killing that franchise but all the other franchises that could've been a success. A lot of smaller companies released MMOs to the west with a fraction of SEGA's budget. I worked on a mobile MMO that had a WoW scale (you can probably guess what it is) and we made it through with the budget we had so that's not an excuse honestly. I just hope Atlus won't be affected :/

Stalk

Logged onto my PS4 last night and forgot that I had linked it to a SEGA ID I lost the email to haha. Whoops.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Really tempted to buy the PS4 physical because I like boxes, but the extras are kinda meh outside of the rappy and the weapons. Can braver use the radiant? If so, is it the gunslash version?

PSO2 is having a Golden Week campaign. +100% xp and +100% rare drop bonus for all quests. Link.

I know what I'm doing this golden week!

Really tempted to buy the PS4 physical because I like boxes, but the extras are kinda meh outside of the rappy and the weapons. Can braver use the radiant? If so, is it the gunslash version?

I know what I'm doing this golden week!

Those weapons are both camos. Gunslash/Sword and Rifle/Twin mechs. Any class can use them and their aesthetics will override whatever is equipped.
Also the Rappy pet is really good. And buying the PS4 physical version is the only way to get it, which is pretty messed up.

You could always use that 30days premium ticket to sell everything you get from it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
buying the PS4 physical version is the only way to get it, which is pretty messed up.
Well, to be honest it's all versions of the deluxe package iirc, so you can grab the PC/Vita one (the PC is the cheapest) if you're in just for the items.

I'd be angrier if not for the fact that without incentive people wouldn't buy the package version and it's still miles better than the stuff Capcom pulled off with the Dragon's Dogma Online package version - it's twice as expensive and didn't even have the disc.

Help would be appreciated here

Is this voice really a Male CAST Voice? I was trying to buy it but the player shop keeps telling me this is a male CAST voice and not a female CAST voice, i don't know if it's wrong or not.

男性C追加ボイス84

If this is really a Male CAST voice then damn, I was fooled, because i do not hear anything male out of this voice

Help would be appreciated here

Is this voice really a Male CAST Voice? I was trying to buy it but the player shop keeps telling me this is a male CAST voice and not a female CAST voice, i don't know if it's wrong or not.

男性C追加ボイス84

If this is really a Male CAST voice then damn, I was fooled, because i do not hear anything male out of this voice

Yes, that's a male cast voice. A female voice would start with 女性, not 男性.

Ship 2 is plagued with afkers for events like Mining Base, it's getting real old. 5/12 of the last pug were afkers. I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt the first time, but when I see these people right back to doing it again next round. Can only hope reporting them does something in the end.

The funny thing is they'd just be done quicker and get more of the stones they're after if they just jumped in seeing most of them are geared with 13+.

But sorry, just venting. 4 teams and 3/4 had a large amount of afkers.

Ship 2 is plagued with afkers for events like Mining Base, it's getting real old. 5/12 of the last pug were afkers. I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt the first time, but when I see these people right back to doing it again next round. Can only hope reporting them does something in the end.

The funny thing is they'd just be done quicker and get more of the stones they're after if they just jumped in seeing most of them are geared with 13+.

But sorry, just venting. 4 teams and 3/4 had a large amount of afkers.

In my experience, anyone doing Extra Hard is usually rather competent and not running around like a headless chicken (which i find more often in Super hard)

Windforce

Why haven't they changed the lobby music ahhhhh

Yeah I can't stand it anymore...

PSO2 is having a Golden Week campaign. +100% xp and +100% rare drop bonus for all quests. Link.

Thanks for the heads up, I got from 32 to 40 this weekend, which for a noob like I am, was a lot of progress. On m way to 41, got to break level cap too. :)

Now stuck on Matter Board 8 (EP1); the node before the last gold one...

"E-3: "レッグ/サイトレグナーb" (Leg / Psytregner b); drops from Lv. 41+ Cyclonehda"

Any hints of what enemy is this? I tried killing both big ones at the Ruins area, including boss (on V.Hard, Lv 40+), yet the item didn't drop.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Any hints of what enemy is this? I tried killing both big ones at the Ruins area, including boss (on V.Hard, Lv 40+), yet the item didn't drop.
I'm not sure which one is which (especially with just the English name), but just keep killing them. If you want to be sure you're killing the right one, try changing to the new node from another one, you should get a pop up with the enemy picture.

Also not all drops have 100% drop rate, so you might have to kill more than 1 of each (there should be a bar filling as you kill them, once it's full it's a certain drop).

ezodagrom

This one.

juBVTWe.jpg

Windforce

I'm not sure which one is which (especially with just the English name), but just keep killing them. If you want to be sure you're killing the right one, try changing to the new node from another one, you should get a pop up with the enemy picture.

Also not all drops have 100% drop rate, so you might have to kill more than 1 of each (there should be a bar filling as you kill them, once it's full it's a certain drop).

This one.

juBVTWe.jpg

They can be found in Ruins free exploration a lot... I think they appear somewhere else too?

EDIT: I feel stupid, Windforce mentions ruins already.

Thanks! You all rock. :)

Just finished Chapter 8 / Matter Board 8. Nice story. Pretty much beat the game I think, but wait there is Matter Board 9.

Thanks! You all rock. :)

Just finished Chapter 8 / Matter Board 8. Nice story. Pretty much beat the game I think, but wait there is Matter Board 9.

Yeah, Episode 1 is weird like that. The story essentially climaxes at chapter 8 and then you spend another chapter following an idol around as she yells at a dragon. It's got a few cool set-pieces at least. Theres also cutscene tablet that shows up after the Dark Falz Elder EQ takes place between Episode 1 and 2.

Sophia

The Episode 1 matter board is illogical in it's progression. Even before they added Episode 4, it was inconsistent with player progression frequently sending you back and fourth between areas of vastly different levels. Now it's even worse because Episode 4 has come out and the progression path has been changed a bit. :\

Good example: the EP1-3 Matter board sends you to Tundra, and then the EP1-5 Matter Board sends you back to Volcanic Caves. It should be the other way around, because that's the order they're unlocked in the game. :\

In my experience, anyone doing Extra Hard is usually rather competent and not running around like a headless chicken (which i find more often in Super hard)

Yeah I agree overall. I was just annoyed since that day it was nonstop people cramming themselves into corners thinking they're invisible and just afking the event away and when I got half a team of AFKers.. it was just the last straw and felt the need to get it off my chest. Normally it's never that bad and most of the time I don't even get afkers to begin with.

Welp, since Fallout 4 is acting stupid, I went to redownloaded this game again. This time, I gots nothing else to play for quite some time, so I may be dropping a few weeks to a few months into this game.

My dude Hotshot is gonna be back up in this bitch!!!

Welp, since Fallout 4 is acting stupid, I went to redownloaded this game again. This time, I gots nothing else to play for quite some time, so I may be dropping a few weeks to a few months into this game.

My dude Hotshot is gonna be back up in this bitch!!!

Welcome back to the fun.

Welcome back to the fun.

Well not sure if you can welcome me back since I haven't played for more than two hours total a few years back. I stopped playing in hopes that some day the english version would come to the western markets on PC or PS4, but I see, after 4+ years, that shit aint coming.

So I will just go ahead and bite the JPN version and just deal with it. Really wanted to play with my friends but they aint PC users and they dont read nor speak Japanese, so yea, tough luck.

So sad the one game I was excited from them, they aint even releasing in the west. Man, sega has done nothing but disappoint for the past ten or so years.

So, I hope yall dont mind the billion or so questions im gonna be posting over the next few days. :-\

Top Bottom