• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Breaker BattleGrounds |OT| ( XBLA | 800 MSP | FEB 27 ) 4P Online Beat Em Up+!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I love Waka for her FF+A alone. It's hilarious to see her go up and toss ANYone. Three story tall dragon? Prepare to be tossed. Five story Oni? Tossed! Final boss? TOSSED.

I still haven't used all the unlockable characters yet, though. I know absolutely nothing about Kurisu, but I kinda want to support these guys.

Yeah, I love the fact that NOTHING is offlimits to grabbing in this game. Using Cocoa's FF+AX to such enemies is also great, like a combo of Kyo and Iori's "Grab and explode" HCB moves, to ANYTHING you can get your shiny red monster claw around...

The A+X version of Kurisu's PRESENTO DESU is about the same; With a little speed, you can continue to draw people into the exploding delivery service circus. The grapple range is a LOT further than it appears, and it will even grab enemies slightly in the air, or behind the target... it's kinda insane.

Why am I just now hearing about this!? This game sounds wonderful.

IT IS!
(bias!)
If you have any questions, do not hesistate to ask, preferably in the loudest, most good-natured way possible. Thank you, and enjoy your stay with Phantom Breaker Battleground Airli-... Shipp... Boatti... Whatever we are!

And remember to read the "how to play!" explains the systems, and gives an achievement for doing it...

IT IS!
(bias!)
If you have any questions, do not hesistate to ask, preferably in the loudest, most good-natured way possible. Thank you, and enjoy your stay with Phantom Breaker Battleground Airli-... Shipp... Boatti... Whatever we are!

And remember to read the "how to play!" explains the systems, and gives an achievement for doing it...
You messed up that spoiler tag and now everyone sees through your blinding bias!

Bleah. Fuck the achievement where you have to grab ALL the coins/gems while falling at the end of stage 4.
It's the only cheevo that's giving me problems.

Itsuki's down + XA is stupid good btw. I pretty much did that all day on my hard play-through.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Bleah. Fuck the achievement where you have to grab ALL the coins/gems while falling at the end of stage 4.
It's the only cheevo that's giving me problems.

Itsuki's down + XA is stupid good btw. I pretty much did that all day on my hard play-through.

That's for sure the most annoying achievement.

Some people have reported that they simply get it after a number of tries. It helped when I was allll the way at the top of the screen. I think it helped me plan out how I was going to move to collect everything.

Back from work and Kurisu get! Levelled her up to exactly 50 (funnily enough) in what felt like a matter of minutes using stage 4 Nightmare. SAB CA did a great rundown of her already so I'm not going to say too much, but briefly:

• She carves her own distinct niche in the cast with her range dependency / close combat deficiency. Feels unique to play as, making her a worthy addition for that reason alone.
  • Her basic combos can have the shortest and longest range of any of the characters, thanks to the wonders of tracksuit (?) girl.
  • Rightx2+A does crazy damage, but I found it harder to land compared with some of the other grab specials. When it connects though, it wraps up enemies behind your initial target so you can decimate groups with one well-timed use. Getting hit before the move finishes (i.e. all 3 explosions activate) will cancel it midway. Also you can't chain-grab grounded enemies with it.
  • Right+A seems nowhere near as OP as I feared it'd be, which is fortunate. Pew pew laser beams.
  • Why oh why must her Down+A push her backwards if you use it on enemies in the corner? I want my 100% barbecue, dammit!
  • I need to watch/play Steins;Gate so I can appreciate all the character cameos in her moveset.
Hmmm, so higher res drawings, or just more dynamic poses? I rather like the fact they're sprites, and especially love the fact they retail (and amplify) the colors of the selected sprite palette; But the PB fighter does this with it's hand-drawn art too (really quite surprising), so I suppose it'd have worked out here as well.

M's is probably one of my faves too, because of the ink-drawing like shading on her...err... Junk. It's rare to see emulated Line-art in spritework (since most use colored outlines or the finest stroke size), and it's kinda close to some of my own art (so I'm totally bias, lol.) Thick, bold outlines don't get enough love!
Mm, it's not so much either of those / an objection to the chosen style itself, it's more about how competently the style was executed. I suppose M's a bad example because she has some of the better BattleGrounds art, but some of the other characters struck me as being... poorly done at times. The ending was probably when I found it most noticeable.

That said, I do generally prefer my character art in the original's style, i.e. like the bottom of these two images rather than the top one:
f9Clmf8.jpg

k2WGZDD.png
I know something closer to the bottom style would've been difficult for the developers. If they wanted to do an intro + ending with that kind of art they'd have to be crazy high quality, which isn't really feasible for an XBLA game.

Neat art by the way! I think I understand your bias appreciation for the game's art a little better now.

Stage 6 Nightmare was... a very different beast from its previous incarnations. In the end I scrapped my no continues policy because the double boss fight on top of the elongated slaughterfest before it was making me want to hurt kittens, even when playing as M. The priority on Mikoto's Down+A is utterly fdjhsdkjs. Don't even get me started on Nagi's juggling.

Level 50 actually seems about on the mark if you want a reasonable challenge on Nightmare. Think I'll keep it as the pseudo max limit.

Beezy

Played online with a friend and two randoms last night. There was some pretty annoying lag. Once one of the randoms left though, the game ran perfectly. I'm not sure if the game just isn't good at handling 4 players online or if the player who left was in another country/opposite coast or something.

New update/patch coming soon! Scroll down for the English info.

//Added Features———
-Added Net. Version change functionality.
-The current “NAT type” is displayed on XboxLive Menus.
-Added a new game mode: “Nightmare+” (Recommended for lv. 50 or higher on cooperative mode):
A lot more challenging than Nightmare mode.
No experience is rewarded in this mode. (Red Gems)
Greater coin drops.
-On the Skill Set screen, added a button func. to clear the learned character skills.

//BUG Fixes—————-
-The silver accounts were not being able to see the leaderboards.
-A silver account was not being able to access the “Buy Full Game” button on the main menu.
-Improved network performance.

-Fixed a bug that clears a character’s experience points.
-Fixed a bug after a boss event that caused the game progress to stop.
-Modified the time that the Cancel Armor lasts when there is still no counter burst learned.
-Fixed the color palette combinations of bosses and NPCs.
-Fixed the Enemy A.I.
-Fixed the grabbing moves.
-Fixed an issue with the throw-able bananas of the character Kurisu.
-Modified the character Infinity’s speed attributes and made some changes in order to balance more the character in general.
-Fixed a bug with an Infinity’s special ability cut-in.
-Fixed Kurisu’s “number 4″ special ability.
-Fixed a bug in Cocoa’s Special Grabbing cancel ability.
-Cocoa’s Phantom Breaker special cancel has been fixed.
-Itsuki’s EX+down+SP trajectory has been modified.
-Itsuki’s Dash+EX+SP trajectory has been modified.
-Yuzuha’s forward+SP jump modified, and her shuriken’s damage slightly increased.
-Added a invulnerable timing on Nagi’s forward+SP attack.
-Modified the condition on which Waka’s dash+EX+SP attack was executed.

//Changed Battle Ground Mode Rules———–
-Item boxes appear randomly on each stage.
-Items fall in a timely manner.
-When low on HP the Burst gauge will charge more rapidly.
The Nightmare+ mode and AI changes are the main points of interest. M's moveset isn't getting tweaked so that's fine.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wohoo! Thanks for bringing that info the thread, A Huge Battleship! Last I saw info, just heard the update was to fix a lvling glitch, but that's a lot more work than I expected them to put in, so I'm glad!

Will Add Info to the OP!

Nightmare + sounds very interesting; you can use it to play with a character stuck at a certain growth the entire time, or just as a playground to mess with after all the MAX'n finally occurs.

Wonder how Itsuki's Trajectory is changin'... I love her uppercut juggle stupidity. Also the changes to grapples? Hmm.

Also great they added a Net version change functionality. This was easily a requested feature, and they listened!

"Improved Network Performance"... hmm. Lets hope that works out well! LoL at it being a bug fix.

Very interesting to see all this in action; Good to see they got to spend their one free XBL release patch on something substantial, rather than just patching away a small error, and never being able to touch anything else again, without major cost...

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
The Nightmare bosses already kicked my ass pretty hard; I can only imagine what sort of hell awaits in Nightmare+, especially since I haven't bought the DLC. I guess I'll use Waka, since I haven't cleared the game with her yet.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
The update's out now. Nightmare+ already has all of the stages unlocked. The enemies have much better stats. I was down to 1/3 health after the first wave of Stage 0 in Story Mode. I took my Lv50 Yuzuha to the Demonsphere and was promptly Guard Crushed then mowed down. It's definitely for 4P Co-op and/or maxed out characters only.

The only AI change that I noticed (in regular Nightmare) was that I was thrown a few times, but I haven't played any stage beyond the first few waves.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks for the info update! I probably won't get to play it today myself, but I hope people post any impressions or observations here! ^_^

So I got the patch and tried Nightmare+ Demonsphere as M with lv 50 stats.

The only way that could've gone worse would be if the game had crashed, deleted my save, erased itself from my hard drive and stolen all my MS points. I know I'm a bit rusty, but damn. So much for that self-imposed lv 50 cap.

Rarutos

Got the game a few days ago, and it's good fun! As I started getting used to the combat I noticed the game getting easier as I went through Story Mode on Normal...

Anywho, tried to play with the significant other online tonight and the lag was atrocious. We couldn't stay connected too long. :( Is this a known issue? Or is it just us?

Coda

Anyone still play this game? Love playing it with my Sega Saturn PS2 pad. Really would dig playing co-op mode with other people though, I can never find a game and have just played single player thus far.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Anyone still play this game? Love playing it with my Sega Saturn PS2 pad. Really would dig playing co-op mode with other people though, I can never find a game and have just played single player thus far.

I never got a few of the online achievements that came along with Kurisu, so I wouldn't mind playing online sometimes! However, I'll be away basically all weekend, so won't be able to do it until Monday, at the earliest.

Where ya located? East coast for me.

Oh, and for any interested, there's PS Vita (and PS4, apparently) Version of this game coming out, as well! And they plan to make the Vita content (New character, new modes) available as DLC for the XBLA version!

No idea if the PS4 one will have the same content so far, but they did mention wanting to make it "take advantage of the full power of the PS4", so unless that was some sarcasm, it should be strongly updated...

Nekobo

West coast reporting in! I can only do evenings on weekdays, though. My gamertag is Nekobo if you want a co-op buddy.

Top Bottom