• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust announced [Xbox One]

KdoubleA

That was the highlight for me. Huge fan of Phantom Dust and tied as my favorite xbox game with NG. I still own the original and sometimes pop it in the 360 to play it. Was really disappointed when MS shutdown the og xbox servers and killed the multiplayer. Got no one to play it with and you know how much that sucks for one of my favorite multiplayer games ever?

Majukun

never played the original..comments about it go from "masterpiece" to "garbage"

i would have preferred to see some gameplay

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Of course it's going to have multiplayer. The 'story' was just a glorified tutorial that you played through purely to unlock the cards needed for multi.

disappointed with that trailer... it went from a cool slick japanese game
maxresdefault.jpg

to some stupid western looking game.... bleh...
elsdmozh4ehplwuyyjit.png

You'd have a point if you weren't completely ignoring this chick from the very same trailer.

DEnF9L9.png

Besides, it's a CG teaser. Artistically, the game still might look closer to the original.

tranciful

Hey, they said to relive the Halo story with the Halo Collection.

Must mean there's no MP, right?
Look, I was asking -- I hadn't heard them mention it and it seems like a poor choice of words. Chill.

And if you want to compare it to the Halo Collection announcement, does every game the collection actually have online MP support as part of the Collection? AFAIK the only MP they confirmed was H2 remake and H5 beta.

gngf123

I've never even heard of this game before, but it seems interesting.

Of course this would be a game that was never released in Europe.

Danneee

Original was great fun and hopefully more people will buy this. Online MP could be fantastic and I hope they build upon the destructable environments of the original. Not feeling the new art though.

Shauni

I'll admit my excitement was deflated a bit by it being a remake and not a new game, but I'm still excited.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is it a fighting game like SF4 ?

No. It's a third person real-time Magic/Card Game arena game.

And if you want to compare it to the Halo Collection announcement, did they actually confirm every game the collection has MP support? AFAIK the only MP they confirmed was H2 remake and H5 beta.

"Maps on their original engines."

Microsoft blowing their load. Game was only being 'talked about' in November. A CG trailer?

Too much of that from them this time around. I think they are feeling the pressure.

Sony did it last time around and it was very annoying. I'd rather people stick to actual gameplay.

Look, I was asking -- I hadn't heard them mention it and it seems like a poor choice of words. Chill.

And if you want to compare it to the Halo Collection announcement, did they actually confirm every game the collection has MP support? AFAIK the only MP they confirmed was H2 remake and H5 beta.
They mentioned 100 mp maps in the master chief collection. Only six maps got a super shiny new coat.

"Is it a fighting game like SF4 ?"

No, it isn't. There's not actually any other game out there to compare it to to give you an idea.

It's an action/strategy game where you build a deck of skills that you pick up randomly from spawn points on a map. Also featured an extremely (for the time) high level of environmental destruction that you could use to your benefit.

Skerj

"Relive the story exclusively on Xbox One"

Stop getting caught up in semantics. I honestly don't see them remaking this without MP, considering the importance placed on it on the first game with skill trading and the skills that you got from MP. MP was where the game was at and I'd still be playing it now if they didn't shut down the servers years ago.

PLEASE DON'T MAKE IT F2P.

Now bring back Otogi, and MS has sated me in regards to throwing a bone to the OGs.

A thousand times yes. I'm still salty that Otogi and Otogi 2 weren't backwards compatible on 360 but dumb shit like Barbie and that Family Guy game were.

As for the F2P comment, don't give them ideas because I don't want to be buying packs of skills for a dollar. Shit did I just give them an idea?

KissVibes

Banned

Only you didn't ask a question. You know a question by this thing, it's called a question mark. Here it is: ? You bolded the word story as if is a confirmation it's story only.

And every Halo map is included in the collection.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
PLEASE DON'T MAKE IT F2P.

Now bring back Otogi, and MS has sated me in regards to throwing a bone to the OGs.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was, but they could always release it again silently for $20.

FaintDeftone

Definitely had a blast with the original on the Xbox. Very excited that they're reviving this one. I would have never thought this game would get a sequel EVER.

Seyavesh

my head exploded like the scanners guy because i am a very anti-xbone guy

i'm curious how this will work though. i honestly don't believe the game can be commercially successful without major marketing and something else and idk if they're willing to spend money on that kinda deal.

i have a feeling they're going to take the game to a f2p with booster decks (online) kinda route, which i don't have a problem with personally, as long it's limited to the online component of the game.

like i really don't think the game has much appeal at first glance- it very much is one of those types of games that you learn to love by playing, rather than by first impression appeal, especially visually.

lots of questions about this but consider me megahype and this is my shockwave for E3 by miles and miles and now microsoft has a evil grip on my soul 'cuz i really don't wanna buy an xbox ;_;

also huge shoutouts to them using a song from the original game. i wonder how many people are thinking they just added a random classical song to make a game trailer seem poignant rather than a sick reference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j8pWibCNpo

Timu

For all the people upset it is a remake Killer Instinct is a remake and it turned out great. We can get a sequel later. I rather Phantom Dust remake over no Phantom Dust at all.
Agreed, at least this shows that they care enough to bring it back.=p

Tarahiro

Brilliant! I never got to play it first time around because it didn't come out here so i'm definitely interested in this!

Mesoian

"Is it a fighting game like SF4 ?"

No, it isn't. There's not actually any other game out there to compare it to to give you an idea.

It's an action/strategy game where you build a deck of skills that you pick up randomly from spawn points on a map. Also featured an extremely (for the time) high level of environmental destruction that you could use to your benefit.

Imagine Magic:The Gathering, where instead of monsters, cards equate to attacks, and you can combine different cards in your deck to create new abilities.

My personal favorite was a card that that did a single hp short range shot, combined with a modifer card that extended range and fire rate so all together, you got a 105 hp gatling gun that could stun from about a screen's worth of distance.

This is an arena combat game first, but a deck building game a VERY VERY VERY close second.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I never would have expected this game to get a second outing. I don't care if it is a remake, I played a ton of the original online, and there's never really been anything like it since to fill the hole left behind. I will gladly buy an Xbox One and deal with microtransactions for more Phantom Dust. I can't wait to build my erase deck 2.0.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
my head exploded like the scanners guy because i am a very anti-xbone guy

i'm curious how this will work though. i honestly don't believe the game can be commercially successful without major marketing and something else and idk if they're willing to spend money on that kinda deal.

i have a feeling they're going to take the game to a f2p with booster decks (online) kinda route, which i don't have a problem with personally, as long it's limited to the online component of the game.

like i really don't think the game has much appeal at first glance- it very much is one of those types of games that you learn to love by playing, rather than by first impression appeal, especially visually.

lots of questions about this but consider me megahype and this is my shockwave for E3 by miles and miles and now microsoft has a evil grip on my soul 'cuz i really don't wanna buy an xbox ;_;

also huge shoutouts to them using a song from the original game. i wonder how many people are thinking they just added a random classical song to make a game trailer seem poignant rather than a sick reference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j8pWibCNpo

Jeez, just buy the damn console for the game if you like it so much. You'd be much better off not getting into this console war bullshit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Imagine Magic:The Gathering, where instead of monsters, cards equate to attacks, and you can combine different cards in your deck to create new abilities.

My personal favorite was a card that that did a single hp short range shot, combined with a modifer card that extended range and fire rate so all together, you got a 105 hp gatling gun that could stun from about a screen's worth of distance.

This is an arena combat game first, but a deck building game a VERY VERY VERY close second.

Don't forget *fully* destructible environments. Nothing like dropping half a building on someones head.

tranciful

Only you didn't ask a question. You know a question by this thing, it's called a question mark. Here it is: ? You bolded the word story as if is a confirmation it's story only.
Don't do this.

Major Nelson it's a remake/remaster of the original. Not a sequel.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/476057530284523520

does that mean no multiplayer..?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115483557&postcount=82

See that question mark? I quoted him to give context to my question because people didn't seem to understand why I asked. The MP was what people love about Phantom Dust so it seems odd to me they'd use "Relive the story" as their tagline. So I was looking for confirmation MP would be included.

Take it easy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
is he involved or was he just introducing it?

He's apparently involved with all the new IP's or something.

Also trending on Twitter. But a lot of comments are "WTF IS THIS?" makes me really really sad.

So what's so great about the series? I've been looking it up, first one seems to have gotten alright reviews (mid 80s or so), but I don't get where the hype is coming from. Can anyone link a good gameplay video of it?

Seyavesh

Jeez, just buy the damn console for the game if you like it so much. You'd be much better off not getting into this console war bullshit.

haha, no worries. i don't normally console war, and i'm not gonna start with this. i'm just super hype for a game that i never thought was gonna be recognized ever again gettin' some love and possibly a wider audience to show folks why i love it so much.

I never would have expected this game to get a second outing. I don't care if it is a remake, I played a ton of the original online, and there's never really been anything like it since to fill the hole left behind. I will gladly buy an Xbox One and deal with microtransactions for more Phantom Dust. I can't wait to build my erase deck 2.0.

i know that feel, for real. eraser and the comeback (hp/photon difference) decks were my most hated 'cause my deck was melee focused and i got reckless real often. switched between blade stuff and ki school stuff, and oh man it was sooo good once you got in on dudes because the lag made dodging melees so hard, haha. tiger strengthed up blades and hyperspeed punches were the real deal!

i really hope they manage to capture that strange balance the game had between all the different playstyles.

Pavaloo

i can't wait to see the ground in front me get swept up into the air to block projectiles being shot at me

fuck phantom dust was cool

Top Bottom