• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer felt “even better” after knowing the PS5 specs

Too bad they picked the wrong generation to shit the bed, the gen where digital sales and services became a defacto standard while also letting your rival sell 110+ million units and ensuring that their follow up is the place to play for many consumers. Way to go MS! *slow clap* Seriously though, everything is fine. XSX is a great system.

If digital is such a defacto standard yadi yada then why are Sony delaying the TLOU 2 because of "logistics"?

I've seen this argument several times now, it's the new PS5 SSD SSD SSD 😁

Shmunter

If digital is such a defacto standard yadi yada then why are Sony delaying the TLOU 2 because of "logistics"?

I've seen this argument several times now, it's the new PS5 SSD SSD SSD 😁
Probably because the current reality trumps that fiction

Although not sure what the SSD has to do with it??

Last edited:
Is this even a serious question?

The fact that Sony has decided to delay their biggest game ever because of physical being a problem with the current pandemic, shows your buddy has no idea what he's talking about.

He has no numbers to prove anything and is talking out his ass to prove a point. So much btw Sony themselves is proving him wrong.

Psykodad

Banned
The fact that Sony has decided to delay their biggest game ever because of physical being a problem with the current pandemic, shows your buddy has no idea what he's talking about.

He has no numbers to prove anything and is talking out his ass to prove a point. So much btw Sony themselves is proving him wrong.
The fact that you put "logistics" between quotation-marks, makes your comment dubious.

Redefine07

Ok , but still I get PS5 first and keep Xbox One X for a bit longer since the games will be cross-gen for the next 2 years...

I for one, am more intrigued by the stuff Double Fine, Obsidian and Inxile will produce for XSEX. I like quirky games.
Hellblade 2 also looks okayish for the walking sim crowd, but is not of interest to me.

So, software wise, I can see some nice stuff appearing on the XSEX.

The XSEX having a lot more power than the PS5 is just the icing on the top of the cake for me.

I for one, am more intrigued by the stuff Double Fine, Obsidian and Inxile will produce for XSEX. I like quirky games.
Hellblade 2 also looks okayish for the walking sim crowd, but is not of interest to me.

So, software wise, I can see some nice stuff appearing on the XSEX.

The XSEX having a lot more power than the PS5 is just the icing on the top of the cake for me.

The difference in power between the XSX and PS5 is literally the smallest it’s ever been in history. You aren’t going to see a major difference in third party titles.

The difference in power between the XSX and PS5 is literally the smallest it’s ever been in history. You aren’t going to see a major difference in third party titles.
How would you even know that when Sony has shown literally nothing except a few skewed stats, while MS went completely open and you literally know everything about its console now.

I liked humble Sony over the PS3 and start of PS4 generation, and hated MS ever since, but why you people are still shilling for Sony at the moment is really beyond me.

How would you even know that when Sony has shown literally nothing except a few skewed stats, while MS went completely open and you literally know everything about its console now.

I liked humble Sony over the PS3 and start of PS4 generation, and hated MS ever since, but why you people are still shilling for Sony at the moment is really beyond me.

Lol That’s the math going off of the specs given by both MS and Sony. The fact that you stated that these specs are skewed and that I’m shilling for Sony says all I need to know about engaging with a warrior like yourself. Ignored.

FranXico

It's common sense really when you take into consideration that this is 1.84 Tflops and PS5 is 10.2 Tflops
R5npBgv.jpg

Anyway. Have fun with the rest of this thread. I'm out
Ahem... that screenshot is from a PS4 Pro. So, ND needed 4.2TF for that IQ.

Stuart360

Slightly off topic but it always makes me chuckle a bit when you get well known forum warriors accusing other users of console warring. Its like i have seen it so much the last week or two from many of the biggest shitposters on Gaf, its ridiculous. Thankfully a large portion of them have been banned, they have been dropping like flys from a certain section lol.

Last edited:

crobb991

Banned
does anyone really care... i moved from xbox to sony this gen because the games were there... ill go with whatever side has the best games.

and so far microsoft are really lacking in that... only so many times you can play halo

sendit

Agreed. Arrogant Sony is back. How dare they think they can continue to release triple A exclusives at the tail end of this generation. Makes me sick to my stomach to be honest. Bring on more Halo, Gears, and Forza.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Agreed. Arrogant Sony is back. How dare they think they can continuing to release triple A exclusives at the tail end of this generation. Makes me sick to my stomach to be honest. Bring on more Halo, Gears, and Forza.

Hey!!!!! and Crackdown :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BigLee74

A lot of triggered Sony fans in this thread, to be expected I guess.

But is there any need for the same old men-children to lay into Gears/Halo/Forza? It may surprise you to know that they are all still relevant, and a lot of folk genuinely like them. I personally can't wait for the new Halo, and it will likely be a system clincher for me (95% - I haven't had a PS since PS2, and that's a lot of games waiting for me to try)

To be honest, its a brave thing for Spencer to say, and indicative of the power of the next xbox.

Agreed. Arrogant Sony is back. How dare they think they can continuing to release triple A exclusives at the tail end of this generation. Makes me sick to my stomach to be honest. Bring on more Halo, Gears, and Forza.
Ask them Indies who were so important when Sony needed them for their public image at the start of the generation, and were forgotten the instant Sony was back on track to make more room for TRIPLE A.

Personally, I don't give a shit about "Triple A", whether coming from Sony or Microsoft. It's all the same overblown shit to me.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I just bring reality to the table 🤷‍♂️
Mista Mista is right though, you only repeat the same stuff about the SSD advantage.
Glad Phil is so happy his console will deliver 100 more p's. I'm sure that will be a massive thing once third party comparisons roll around.

Kind of a weird thing to say that you feel "even better" about your decisions after a competitor reveals theirs. Seems like a pretty salty comment, honestly. How about you just say that you're happy with the decisions your team made. What does your competitor's product have anything to do with your own team's decisions? As if Sony made a different decision you somehow wouldn't feel better?

Just a weird thing to say when this amounts to the smallest console divide in history.

How is it weird to feel confident about your own product? I think you and most others(even Xbox fans) are reading too much into his wording.

Last edited:

Mendou

Banned
having the better multiplats sure helped the XB360
That was a major deciding factor in me choosing the PS4 over the Xbox One. I knew how choppy the Multiplatform games were on the PS3 and didn't want that on the Xbox One, so I went for the more powerful PS4. In hindsight it was a good decision considering games ran 720-900p on the Xbox One with worse frame rates most of the time. I suspect many would return to the Xbox given it has the power advantage this time around.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Well if we are just talking about the physical console itself, then maybe. There is no denying that they have shown a lot more than Sony too (and have more coherent messaging at this stage)., but a lot of important information is still to come for both (price, complete OS run through).

I hope Sony are humbled by the showing MS has given so far, it is good for all consumers. The other way of looking at it is that Sony still have a lot of weapons in their armoury (I don't really like war analogies, but hey ho). We can all still look forward to the physical unveiling / teardown, OS run-through, demos of how (if) their SSD solution differentiates their product, policies on cross-gen purchases, new store purchasing policies?

...and most importantly (and this goes for Sony and MS) the product showcases announcing and showing next-gen games. Can''t wait.

It is going to be an exciting few months ahead.

Pug

Yeah and that should make him feel worse, because SSD > all.

I'm sure Sony will drive that narrative and MS will drive the power narrative, well until games are shown, then all the specification nonsense retreats into the background. Then you can argue about 300x zoomed graphics comparisons and how many seconds each level loads. Oh what fun.

tryDEATH

That is just in raw power once you add in the RT capabilities the difference between the systems will be very large when it comes to graphical fidelity.

People are ignoring the generational graphical feature of next gen that is Ray Tracing. Everyone will be surprised to see how much better XSX will perform. Its going to force Sony into a premature Pro version that isn't going to be that much more powerful than the XSX in raw power, only to be trumped by MS with their revision.

This whole generation was a humongous misstep by Sony before it even started, its going to look so much worse than the PS3 debacle. This is peak Sony arrogance unfortunately.

turtlepowa

Banned
I'm sure Sony will drive that narrative and MS will drive the power narrative, well until games are shown, then all the specification nonsense retreats into the background. Then you can argue about 300x zoomed graphics comparisons and how many seconds each level loads. Oh what fun.
Dude, seriously, do i have to write IRONY before you get it?

Last edited:
That is just in raw power once you add in the RT capabilities the difference between the systems will be very large when it comes to graphical fidelity.

People are ignoring the generational graphical feature of next gen that is Ray Tracing. Everyone will be surprised to see how much better XSX will perform. Its going to force Sony into a premature Pro version that isn't going to be that much more powerful than the XSX in raw power, only to be trumped by MS with their revision.

This whole generation was a humongous misstep by Sony before it even started, its going to look so much worse than the PS3 debacle. This is peak Sony arrogance unfortunately.

Hoo boy. This is a SPICY HOT TAKE. I thought you were going to actually make a decent post and then your inner Ultimate Warrior came out! Run along champ. 👋🏾

Kokoloko85

I have a feeling he made his own narrative like the xbox fans on neogaf.

O 9tfps, bad heating, No ps4 backwards compatible, ssd just works for faster loading.... variable frequency blah blah..

Xbox has had the strong machine for last 2 years, performers worse than the pro at times and has sold more than half of the PS4 lol....
Lets not get into the quality of exclusives.

And Xbox and Phil has there backs against the wall even more.
MS will leave that boat to sink this time if it gets half the sales again after all this investment.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Hoo boy. This is a SPICY HOT TAKE. I thought you were going to actually make a decent post and then your inner Ultimate Warrior came out! Run along champ. 👋🏾

Keep ignoring Ray Tracing and its impact on graphical fidelity, while championing that SSD and laptop technology. Many of you guys are going to be up for a rude awakening when both systems releases.

The newly released DX12U suit will play a huge part in 3rd party developers maximizing XSX hardware and software. MS has been preparing themselves for this multi pronged approach.

:messenger_peace:

Three

Really?

PS4 - 1.84
Xbox One - 1.3
-------------------------
PS4 - 0.54 more tflops

PS5 - 10.28 (sometimes)
Xbox SeX - 12.2 (always)
-----------------------------------------
Xbox - mininmum 2.0 more tflops
As a percentage it's clearly smaller.
I don't think the PS4 would be priced very competitively though which is why MS don't know whether to release Lockhart or not so I understand why he is happy.

Eliciel

What I am asking myself is the following:

On average, how much computing power is distributed to the sound of games in following situations:
  1. regular sound setup (earplugs?)
  2. 2.1 or alike with a bit more channels
  3. 5.1 or 7.1 DTS
  4. Full fledged Dolby Atmos 18.1 ?...
  5. >200,500,1000 Channels HECK knows what.

Last edited:
Top Bottom