• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer felt “even better” after knowing the PS5 specs

KaiserBecks

Games go where the biggest marketshare-holder is.

That sentiment is 20 years old, Xbox isn't Dreamcast. I can understand that people prefer Playstation for its first party games, but consoles have gotten so similar in terms of architecture that marketshare doesn't really influence third parties. Heck, a lot of console games even make it to PC.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
He probably couldn't believe it when he saw the power gap was so huge.

He deserves the success he seems a real good guy but it's the software they need to focus on more now.
18 - 21% isn't nearly enough to be considered huge in real world performance

Last edited:

GymWolf

Funny...that scene is directly from gameplay as a player ability called orbital drop. Additionally Crackdown 3 exploits the sustained 6 Teraflops of the Xbox One X by running at 4K. Please don’t insult the developers that poured their heart and souls in to that game.

Orbital drop gameplay at 1.84 Teraflops variable:

i think crackdown 3 only use the more power for resolution and framerate, the game is clearly developed with original xone in mind (because you know, he has to run on that console too)

exactly like games like tsushima or tlou2 who use ps4pro for better resolution and maybe framerate but assets, physics, etc. are developed around original ps4.

even infamous3 is the same on pro except for resolution, hdr and framerate.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
That sentiment is 20 years old, Xbox isn't Dreamcast. I can understand that people prefer Playstation for its first party games, but consoles have gotten so similar in terms of architecture that marketshare doesn't really influence third parties. Heck, a lot of console games even make it to PC.
Sure, but more is always better and if MS gets trashed again next-gen, their game releases will dwindle.

Hobbygaming

There's still a lot of games from Japan that don't make it over to Xbox

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm sure Sony will drive that narrative and MS will drive the power narrative, well until games are shown, then all the specification nonsense retreats into the background. Then you can argue about 300x zoomed graphics comparisons and how many seconds each level loads. Oh what fun.
This should be easy for the Microsoft marketing team. Advertising the hell out of locked clocks and games not losing performance when the action gets intense. If I'm on that team the commercials write themselves.

iJudged

Banned
giphy.gif
That's crazy lol

Hobbygaming

Most of the big AAA do now . Japan always been a issues for the Xbox mind. The series X just needs to sell very well in the USA and that's more gives you great 3rd party support these days.
Judgment
Sakura Wars
Yakuza 6 and 7
Persona 5 Royal
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Granblue Fantasy Versus
Project Awakening

I still see a lot of titles not coming, it's always been a big advantage for PlayStation

RaySoft

Really?

PS4 - 1.84
Xbox One - 1.3
-------------------------
PS4 - 0.54 more tflops

PS5 - 10.28 (sometimes)
Xbox SeX - 12.2 (always)
-----------------------------------------
Xbox - mininmum 2.0 more tflops

....and then you must calculate the relative difference in %.
Then you will se he was right. The difference in TF is smaller this gen.

Ten_Fold

I would too if I knew the ps5 got dem heating problems and the xbox is stronger and probably more optimized at the start.

Mobilemofo

Dunno about anybody else but the xbox design is just hideous. It's almost like they said 'make it as bland as fuck please..' . Mission accomplished.

Leyasu

Banned
Glad Phil is so happy his console will deliver 100 more p's. I'm sure that will be a massive thing once third party comparisons roll around.

Kind of a weird thing to say that you feel "even better" about your decisions after a competitor reveals theirs. Seems like a pretty salty comment, honestly. How about you just say that you're happy with the decisions your team made. What does your competitor's product have anything to do with your own team's decisions? As if Sony made a different decision you somehow wouldn't feel better?

Just a weird thing to say when this amounts to the smallest console divide in history.
Smallest console divide. Running at full potential, there is a whole ps4 of difference between them.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
....and then you must calculate the relative difference in %.
Then you will se he was right. The difference in TF is smaller this gen.
Why do I have to use percentage? Because it suits your narrative? Last I checked, a Tflop is still a Tflop and that makes this the biggest difference ever.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why do I have to use percentage? Because it suits your narrative? Last I checked, a Tflop is still a Tflop and that makes this the biggest difference ever.

Says the person trying to weave his own narrative (to win a PR war cherry picking his own set of numbers and influence people purchasing habits) ;).

You look at percentages because, as long as the numbers are comparable, it gives you a comparative measure that allows you to understand how much you may need to scale things up or down and the impact on final IQ.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
>When Phil finds out about the unnannounced secret sauce features hidden deep inside the DualShock 5
MhQzEia.jpg
You may jest Kojima San, but I'm pretty sure Phil had PI's everywhere trying to figure out the intricacies of PS5......They have already reacted to RT Audio, Share button and more.....Look for more in the future, because from the rumormill, we've heard some great things about the PS5 OS features, it's controller etc....There's still much more to reveal about PS5, including it's VR Unit, so Phil is still trying to ascertain.....I bet you he is grilling his devs to find out if all that custom hardware will close the gap or give the PS5 advantages......What can we do, should we up clocks......People see him as a homely smiling guy, but I always envision him as lethal behind the scenes.......I don't trust people who smirk and smile too much...

The bottom right edge tells the different story...
Yes, but lets be fair here....All Footage from Sony has been captured from PRO since 2016.....It's advertising, you use your better IQ console......These games were not made ground up for 4.2TF, they were made ground up for 1.84TF.....PRO simply boosts the resolution and in some instances stabilizes framerate, assets are the same with vanilla PS4....

😅 phew!! Thanks so much for clearing that up for everyone (well for me at least).
Here I (incorrectly) thought that Hobbygaming was referencing the power difference from a percentage perspective and not the raw computational flop numbers between the two consoles.

Oh, and jamming the absolutely 9.2 TFlops (most of time) down our collective throats for further clarification was also incredibly helpful.
To think all this time I have been referring to ps5 as a 10+ TFlop machine in discussions; now I feel foolish. At least going forward I can now speak intelligently about ps5 being a 9.2TFlop console with confidence in casual conversation.
Don’t know how that rat bastard Cerny can get away with his bullshit 10.3 claims, lying about SSD speeds. Ugh, I need to stop. Getting all upset that I now know all the truths. How the hell can he look at himself in the mirror and not want to spit on himself is beyond me.
Thanks again Hendricks, my brother for opening my eyes.... no, my world!
I see a 10.3TF console is always referred to as 9.2TF now, then you realize he even rounded the 12.155TF to 12.2TF for maximum effect and to chest beat his box's superiority over a fake and unofficial PS5 figure......Falsifying information when official and factual information exists.....How is this allowed.?

Quick new thread somebody. Chill Spencer is not a fan of ‘Secret Sauce’. proof PS5 is full of sauce goodness |OT|
Certainly not like he was last gen, he was a big proponent of the secret sauce of the cloud and that hardware DX12 chip.....Well the good thing about PS5 is that it's sauce is not secret.....It's called "real customized silicon sauce"......Tempest Engine, Geometry Engine with Cache Scrubbers, 12 Gate IO with Coherency Units......It's all actual silicon that we can see on the mainboard......

Glad Phil is so happy his console will deliver 100 more p's. I'm sure that will be a massive thing once third party comparisons roll around.

Kind of a weird thing to say that you feel "even better" about your decisions after a competitor reveals theirs. Seems like a pretty salty comment, honestly. How about you just say that you're happy with the decisions your team made. What does your competitor's product have anything to do with your own team's decisions? As if Sony made a different decision you somehow wouldn't feel better?

Just a weird thing to say when this amounts to the smallest console divide in history.
I don't think his messaging would have been different if Series X had lower TF, he would still say he is proud of his vision or that they have developed a balanced console and it is their endeavor to push gaming content and services like never before to the masses....

Yet, the way he answers is still peculiar.....I think after all the discussions that people are having surrounding PS5's highly customized design.....Phil might have thought hard and run through his brain whether he missed a trick here....It behooves him to defend his traditional higher Tflop design, but none of that matters now....I guess come November and henceforward we will see which console design has proven to be the revolution in gaming that we were expecting......I really think it's better that way, the design ethos were too similar before, we're back in the GC/PS2 days of varied design.....The faceoffs and first party output will be much more interesting...….

Just jumping in here to complain about how painful this next-gen discussion has been since the PS5 spec reveal. Like dear lord folks.

Phil has a good reason to feel "good" about their position in the marketplace here. The Series X is a powerful machine that IMO, stands the best chance of having third party devs push it to the maximum.

That doesn't mean the PS5 is doomed. It'll probably just be a scenario like we see now with the One X vs PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Phil has a good reason to feel "good" about their position in the marketplace here. The Series X is a powerful machine that IMO, stands the best chance of having third party devs push it to the maximum.
But that won't happen just like this gen when plenty of games weren't well optimised for the X

But that won't happen just like this gen when plenty of games weren't well optimised for the X

That will certainly happen, and I'm sure we'll see third party games on both ends of that spectrum. But... I think the majority of third party titles will have a slight edge on Xbox.

But that's ok! Hell, I've played a number of games on Switch that would look much better on my Xbox.

I really hate the enthusiast forum mentality sometimes. The logic seems to be that if you don't experience something at it's absolute best, you might as well just not do it at all.

That's not a knock against you specifically, just a general gripe of mine. I've dealt with it in TV and audio threads, and it's slowly creeping into console threads too.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes, but lets be fair here....All Footage from Sony has been captured from PRO since 2016.....It's advertising, you use your better IQ console......These games were not made ground up for 4.2TF, they were made ground up for 1.84TF.....PRO simply boosts the resolution and in some instances stabilizes framerate, assets are the same with vanilla PS4....
I agree, I just found that funny, with mentioning of 1.84TF : )

Mista

Banned
That will certainly happen, and I'm sure we'll see third party games on both ends of that spectrum. But... I think the majority of third party titles will have a slight edge on Xbox.

But that's ok! Hell, I've played a number of games on Switch that would look much better on my Xbox.

I really hate the enthusiast forum mentality sometimes. The logic seems to be that if you don't experience something at it's absolute best, you might as well just not do it at all.

That's not a knock against you specifically, just a general gripe of mine. I've dealt with it in TV and audio threads, and it's slowly creeping into console threads too.
Yes, just like how it was with the X. The thing is 3rd party developers should well optimise their games to the consoles fullest potential.

Don't treat different versions the same especially when one can be better. PS4 always had an edge on X1 and the X1X should've had an edge to on the Pro

The thing is we didn't see that very much and thats where the developers gets hold accountable

Sota4077

They do matter but Sony developers do more with less is my point and games > flops

Ohhhh so TFLOPS matter when Sony have more of them, but then when they don't have more of them it doesn't matter any way because Sony developers get more out of less than Microsoft because they're Sony developers. Do you understand how absolutely idiotic you sound when you sink to these depths to defend a company that doesn't give a shit about you other than how much money you are willing to give them? My god they're not paying you. Just calm down.

DESTROYA

It's math. 52 is 44% more than 36. The difference is 33%.
No it‘s not ! Anyway you calculate it its on about 30% more. Its basic math!
Not sure what your trying to accomplish with false statements like that , if it had 44% more CU’s the XsX would need around 60

Sota4077

He won the imaginary hardware war tho. Both next gen consoles are not yet released, no one can say which one will be the lead dev console, what the actual power is etc.

You cannot say it is imaginary though because power does matter for sales. People upgrade to new consoles because they want a more powerful console. Microsoft being able to say they have the most powerful console going into a new console generation does matter. It matters even more when you talk about power and price together. If Microsoft match the price of the PS5, which I suspect they will, then power matters a whole bunch. We've already seen how the companies are going to position their consoles in the market. Sony are going to lean into "the fastest" console and Microsoft will lean on "The Most Powerful".

TTOOLL

Really?

PS4 - 1.84
Xbox One - 1.3
-------------------------
PS4 - 0.54 more tflops

PS5 - 10.28 (sometimes)
Xbox SeX - 12.2 (always)
-----------------------------------------
Xbox - mininmum 2.0 more tflops

Good math right here. People are getting insane because mah console has moar powhaaaaa

SyberWolf

everyone is comparing a base ps5 to the X model xbox......
the X model is supposed to be the flagship console isnt it?
i personally think people should be comparing the PS5 to the lower spec xbox thats coming.

Jon Neu

Banned
The difference in power between the XSX and PS5 is literally the smallest it’s ever been in history.

No, it isn't.

The difference between the 360 and the PS3 was. And even in those days the Sony fans were claiming a ”clear” difference between the two.

And now the difference is much bigger, but in the Xbox favor this time.

Top Bottom