• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer felt “even better” after knowing the PS5 specs

oldergamer

Sounds like got the CEOs approval to price match Sony as I suspected with his comments earlier about not being out of line in price or power.
I don't think it means price match, but i think they have an idea of how their cost compares to sony. For the most part i think sony has more expensive components ( SSD, 3D Audio chip, Heatsink ) are going to cost more then the equivalent.

oldergamer

I don't think it means price match, but i think they have an idea of how their cost compares to sony. For the most part i think sony has more expensive components ( SSD, 3D Audio chip, Heatsink ) are going to cost more then the equivalent.

Sony could in theory use a slower SSD to cut cost, but the other two components they can't cust back on.

kretos

Banned
The man is determined.

I’m beginning to think if it were up to him he’d match the PS5 pricing. I don’t know what kind of power he answers to over at Microsoft and what they’re expecting the hardware to make (or lose?) long term..... but this guy is out for blood.

Can't blame him, this gen they were humiliated real bad and were a laughing stock

if they match PS5 price that would be crazy

oldergamer

I'm going to expect them to beat sony on price. I'm actually not sure why everything thinks Xbox will cost more. More powerful doesn't always mean higher cost.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You think Microsoft Studios will outdo SWWS in visuals?
I doubt this seriously, art is about preference and style and Sony has it in spades. If anybody is able, I'd point at Ninja Theory or maybe Playground. Plus Sony is stepping it up already even before the gen starts. Although, admittedly Ghosts of Tsushima looked a bit dialed back last time they showed it. I was kinda willing to shrug it off as ok it's still needs polish...but the date is getting close.

Just for comparison.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Current gen heatsinks were said to cost about a dollar, even a big ass one to deal with high clocks isn't going to be more than a few, and not more than a 1/3rd larger APU costs. Otherwise this entire avenue would seem insane. 3D Audio for what it's worth is about 1 GPU CU.

The custom IO complex and 12 channel controller does probably have a lot of sunk R&D cost as well as silicon budget, but I'm still thinking PS5 has a lower BoM, if slightly.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You think Microsoft Studios will outdo SWWS in visuals?

I dont know how thats your take on what I said.
Saying they will be "very competitive" is completely different to saying one will out do the other.
Also overall visual performance is not judged solely on exclusives.
But to answer your question I think proper xsx exclusives will be as technical sophisticated as ps5 exclusives.
Which games people prefer the look of will be down to preferences.
Gone are the day of platforms having visual technologys not possible on the other platform.

Last edited:

Arkam

I'll be pretty impressed if they are able to price match the PS5.

Ill be more impressed if they can price match with the same margins. Cuz when you have deep pockets like MS you can take a substantial hit on HW if they think it is a smart long term strategic move. Its the same reason MS/PS got scared when Stadia was announced. Google could have made the service FREE* if they felt it was worth buying market share. Both consoles look pretty sweet spec wise, now I need some UX and games to feel what the proper price point is for me.

*Ad driven or some such

I wouldn't if I was him. I would be thinking our architects are not ahead of the curve like Mark Cerny.
Why do you think that's most of the time when that's the exact opposite of what theyve said? They said SOMETIMES it would go a little down. And who said anything about jumping down to 9.2 when he said a couple of percentage points?
Anybody talking about PS5 being 9.2TF should be ignored. They are trolling or very dumb.

Gone are the day of platforms having visual technologys not possible on the other platform.

Not sure how you’ve come to this as we haven’t even seen 1 gameplay from either company to conclude what you’ve just said? You might wanna give that crystal ball a polish.

1X being 6TF there wasn’t anything jaw dropping for it? Gears 5 was good I won’t lie, but a 4.2TF machine running Ghosts of Tsushima looked almost next-gen to some.

Always comes back to the talent each company holds within their portfolio.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
They did it with Halo and Gears, back when they had powerful consoles.

Now they are back on the powerful menu, so they have the potential to deliver another breakthrough IP.
When did Halo and gears look better than all of Sony's first party? Also they had the more powerful system the last couple years. And if you think having to make things work on the launch Xbox One held back the X then for the first year were gonna see the same effect

Jon Neu

Banned
When did Halo and gears look better than all of Sony's first party? Also they had the more powerful system the last couple years. And if you think having to make things work on the launch Xbox One held back the X then for the first year were gonna see the same effect

When Halo: Combat Evolved launched, it made every PS2 game palish in comparison. It was simply a technical masterpiece the PS2 couldn't compete with. It was a revolutionary game, also. It was the living demonstration that the Xbox was much more powerful than the PS2.

And Gears of War was the best looking game for some time and also another revolutionary game.

Those are the type of games that you can do if your console is powerful enough and the right dev takes advantadge of it.

With the Xbox One you couldn't make a Halo or Gears, it was too weak.

With the Xbox Series X, you can.

sigrad

It's common sense really when you take into consideration that this is 1.84 Tflops and PS5 is 10.2 Tflops
R5npBgv.jpg

Anyway. Have fun with the rest of this thread. I'm out
That's 4.2 TFLOPS actually.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
When Halo: Combat Evolved launched, it made every PS2 game palish in comparison. It was simply a technical masterpiece the PS2 couldn't compete with. It was a revolutionary game, also. It was the living demonstration that the Xbox was much more powerful than the PS2.

And Gears of War was the best looking game for some time and also another revolutionary game.

Those are the type of games that you can do if your console is powerful enough and the right dev takes advantadge of it.

With the Xbox One you couldn't make a Halo or Gears, it was too weak.

With the Xbox Series X, you can.
I played Halo and Halo 2 with friends back in the day. We never mentioned the graphics like we did with final fantasy or GT and gears was a next gen showcase but in 2007 we already had games like uncharted and COD4 out and MGS4 on the way and cod 2 was a next gen showcase too

Jon Neu

Banned
I played Halo and Halo 2 with friends back in the day. We never mentioned the graphics like we did with final fantasy or GT and gears was a next gen showcase but in 2007 we already had games like uncharted and COD4 out and MGS4 on the way and cod 2 was a next gen showcase too

That's a cool story, still doesn't change that Halo it's far better technically than any PS2 game could ever dream of.

Elenchus

Banned
A year head-start and a cheaper console made the Xbox brand. That's about it.

Think you’re forgetting something. I can still remember the day when I first saw CE running on a monitor in a CompUSA in Syracuse NY.

rQ0mwx6.jpg

Was just walking through the mall and stopped dead in my tracks.

Watched Chief drive over a couple grunts in a hog and then jump out with a squad and take out a team of elites.

Then watched him jump on the turret with his squad driving. Had never seen a game like that in my life.

Didn’t know a thing about the industry or plastic wars. Walked in and said what the hell is that?!

Clerk smiled and said “Xbox”. That’s why the brand is here buddy.

Thanks Chief. 🙏

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Not sure how you’ve come to this as we haven’t even seen 1 gameplay from either company to conclude what you’ve just said? You might wanna give that crystal ball a polish.

1X being 6TF there wasn’t anything jaw dropping for it? Gears 5 was good I won’t lie, but a 4.2TF machine running Ghosts of Tsushima looked almost next-gen to some.

Always comes back to the talent each company holds within their portfolio.

You dont need to see games to know what i said, we know the specs and the machines are in the same class.
Like they are in your gears 5 and ghosts of t example.
Its not like the og xbox and ps2 where the difference were more vast.

sendit

4.2 TF to be exact and 10.2 TF isn't going to change much about that graphics other than ugly Ellie at 4k

Agreed. Look at what the XSX has been able to accomplish from 6 Teraflops to 12 Teraflops:

(Critically acclaimed Gears 6 running on 12 Teraflops of sustained GPU power)
h3yyzX4.jpg

If you can't see the difference here, you should just stick to gaming on a Switch.

Last edited:

SmokSmog

Agreed. Look at what the XSX has been able to accomplish from 6 Teraflops to 12 Teraflops:

(Critically acclaimed Gears 6 running on 12 Teraflops of sustained GPU power)
h3yyzX4.jpg

If you can't see the difference here, you should just stick to gaming on a Switch.
This is just game from Backward compatibility. No need to be salty.

sendit

XSX downclocks to 1.84TF that is why there is no difference.

Can you stop spreading lies? Unless the bro's at DF and Microsoft are not telling the truth. XSX does not downclock for anything:

"But up until now at least, the focus has been on the GPU, where Microsoft has delivered 12 teraflops of compute performance via 3328 shaders allocated to 52 compute units (from 56 in total on silicon, four disabled to increase production yield) running at a sustained, locked 1825MHz " -DF

Ref: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

Here is another shot with Gears 6 at a sustained 12 Teraflops:

HLzHSkf.jpg

Yeah, I’m sure having better hardware will help you lead sales. It’s not like the Xbox has ever been stronger than the Playstation and still got stomped. Oh wait.

Cant tell if serious. You talking about OG Xbox? It outsold Gamecube. Nintendo. Gamecube. Company known for making Windows and boring flight sims came in 2nd their first try. They did alright for the new kid on the block. Think how much worse it would have been if they didnt have that power edge calling card that generation. That and online play were the two factors that led the momentum into the next gen.

One X versus Ps4 pro? That shit is on Don Matrick. He fucked them for a generation. Hardware is important to the degree the public doesnt realize it's shit and it plays good games. Your average joe smoe doesnt care that ps4 pro embodies the '2 of the previous consoles ducktaped together' trope almost as much as the Wii. Yep, that Cerny magic helped that lazily designed console sure rum quiet and cool...oh wait

Can you stop spreading lies? Unless the bro's at DF and Microsoft are not telling the truth. XSX does not downclock for anything:

"But up until now at least, the focus has been on the GPU, where Microsoft has delivered 12 teraflops of compute performance via 3328 shaders allocated to 52 compute units (from 56 in total on silicon, four disabled to increase production yield) running at a sustained, locked 1825MHz " -DF

Ref: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

HLzHSkf.jpg
using compressed youtube video to showcase graphical fidelity LOL

SmokSmog

HLzHSkf.jpg
This was joke.

What do you want to accomplish ? This is just gears of war 5 from Xbox one X with better performance and slightly refined visuals.
Xbox SX could have 50TF, still this would be last gen game.
Let's use the same technique by cyber69
0.3TF Nintendo Switch vs 4.2TF PS4pro
bVQqfUI.jpg

uthGWnb.jpg

WgcF1wf.jpg
Shots fired

Last edited:
This was joke.

What do you want to accomplish ? This is just gears of war 5 from Xbox one X with better performance and slightly refined visuals.
Xbox SX could have 50TF, still this would be last gen game.

Shots fired
He tried to create a narrative with youtube compression comparison to downplay 12 TF awesomeness

Last edited:

johnjohn

He felt better with XBONEX as well, look how that turned out......I guess we will re-interview Phil come November of this year when the head to heads, first party games and sales numbers roll...….There's always a followup for tangibles...
He rightfully felt good about the One X. It was a success for them and was an important part of regainimg confidence in the Xbox brand.

Last edited:
Cant tell if serious. You talking about OG Xbox? It outsold Gamecube. Nintendo. Gamecube. Company known for making Windows and boring flight sims came in 2nd their first try. They did alright for the new kid on the block. Think how much worse it would have been if they didnt have that power edge calling card that generation. That and online play were the two factors that led the momentum into the next gen.

One X versus Ps4 pro? That shit is on Don Matrick. He fucked them for a generation. Hardware is important to the degree the public doesnt realize it's shit and it plays good games. Your average joe smoe doesnt care that ps4 pro embodies the '2 of the previous consoles ducktaped together' trope almost as much as the Wii. Yep, that Cerny magic helped that lazily designed console sure rum quiet and cool...oh wait

lol What the hell are you even taking about? How did you managed to throw Nintendo into a conversation that didn’t even include them? Then you went on some tangent about Don Mattrick even though One X came out a year after Pro and was advertised as the most powerful thing since sliced bread and then you talked about Pro not being cooled? Might want to not throw strawmen into your argument next time and instead address the main point. 👌🏾

Top Bottom