• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer saves the day: Microsoft employees to keep free access to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mean, I have yet to work at a company where company-wide employee benefits change and the people at the top aren't aware of the changes. Either Microsoft isn't being managed well, so some lower-tier employee is able to make sweeping changes like this to employee benefits company-wide with no oversight (which, I admit, could be the scenario), or Phil knew about the changes before they were announced. There's really no other option, and I'm honestly not sure which of those options is worse.
This is a perk more than a benefit, if it was a $10 a month discount on cell phone service or an annual $100 fitness equipment reimbursement I doubt either us or xbox management would have heard about it.

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean, I have yet to work at a company where company-wide employee benefits change and the people at the top aren't aware of the changes. Either Microsoft isn't being managed well, so some lower-tier employee is able to make sweeping changes like this to employee benefits company-wide with no oversight (which, I admit, could be the scenario), or Phil knew about the changes before they were announced. There's really no other option, and I'm honestly not sure which of those options is worse.

It’s a very minor perk, relatively speaking. Nowhere near the same thing as - for example - a company wide 10% salary increase or a global policy change on remunerations.

I’m not sure why you imagine there’s nothing in between lower tier employees and members of the Executive committee of a megacorp. But I recognize we might have different workplace experiences.

As I said before, all Microsoft employees don’t even get free Office 365 subscriptions so it’s not like there’s an established history of subscription perks being sacrosanct.

This is a perk more than a benefit, if it was a $10 a month discount on cell phone service or an annual $100 fitness equipment reimbursement I doubt either us or xbox management would have heard about it.

Well said.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
This is exactly why you don’t give stuff away free. IM glad Phil did this, but once you start giving free stuff people expect it perpetually!

This goes for life and more!

Puscifer

I worked for Arby's as a kid, I didn't get free Arby's. I got a pathetic discount. Why are they entitled to this and why are people freaking out about it? Oh yeah, MS hate lol

Even McDonalds gave us a free meal everyday, feels like I was sole reason for the chicken salad existing at one point lol

Brucey

One ring to rule them all.
Zitge2W.gif

Flutta

Banned
Which is a shame- because when you’re not selling something here, you can b be quite insightful.

Oh well.

That’s the sad part about him. He seems to be a nice dude. I mean even when people attack him or being harsh with their words he still keeps it cool. Not easy to do. Only one ”small” issue with Adam is that he’s so far up Phil’s rectum that he wouldn’t be able to find his way back even if he tried. in another life i would send him an invite 😅

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Whether you call it a benefit or a perk is irrelevant. This still would have needed to be cleared by senior leadership for the impacted divisions. There isn't some dude in Microsoft's basement making executive decisions on benefits OR perks with zero oversight. Or if there is, that's a huge problem with Microsoft's management.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Whether you call it a benefit or a perk is irrelevant. This still would have needed to be cleared by senior leadership for the impacted divisions. There isn't some dude in Microsoft's basement making executive decisions on benefits OR perks with zero oversight. Or if there is, that's a huge problem with Microsoft's management.
Of course it is. There would be a huge problem if every decision like this was ran by senior leadership because there are tens of thousands of middle management between those guys and these types of decisions.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Of course it is. There would be a huge problem if every decision like this was ran by senior leadership because there are tens of thousands of middle management between those guys and these types of decisions.

Middle management doesn't get involved in company-wide benefits/perks. I am intimately familiar with middle-management. If you think that middle-management plays any role in this type of decision making then I've got some bridges to sell you. Just... wow.

Top Bottom