• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer saves the day: Microsoft employees to keep free access to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate

Good to see Spencer step in and reverse it but as I said in the initial thread employees are always entitled dip shits wanting free shit forever. Just because they've received GP Ultimate since 2019 for free doesn't mean it's a free thing forever.

It's like all day business meetings. Most of the time lunch is ordered and you get some free pizza, or the cafeteria workers make some sandwich platters. Lets say the direction going forward is every employee has to buy or brown bag their own lunch. At the end of the day who cares. Figure out your own lunch.

Yet there would be people complaining to VPs why there's no pizza.

It makes zero difference whether it's an all day meeting or not because if someone had separate meetings before and after lunch, nobody would get free lunch in the situation.
I do like pizza.

Kiraly

jon-hamm-sure.gif

projection_lens_overhead-projector_-100762333-large.jpg

Looks like these SPDF "representatives" finally got their marching orders from the marketing agency.

Last edited:

hlm666

It's great that gaf outrage helped microsoft employees keep their entitlements....... I'm sure that judges son who got his job because of his corrupt mommy is grateful.

now back to regular programming.

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT..........

lol not gonna lie, i'm envious you all seem to get higher quality drugs than me.

SJRB

Gold Member
One Phil to rule them all!

Lord and saviour, hero of the common folk.

God bless, you amazing leader you.

Chukhopops

It's great that gaf outrage helped microsoft employees keep their entitlements....... I'm sure that judges son who got his job because of his corrupt mommy is grateful.

now back to regular programming.

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT..........

lol not gonna lie, i'm envious you all seem to get higher quality drugs than me.
Every time I see this cope argument it gets a bit more twisted, itā€™s like a spiral of madness.

rofif

Canā€™t Git Gud
"wait... i can't stab this guy? ok ok let's forget about it"
Phil is such a populist

Ozriel

M$FT
Don't lump me in with console warriors. I would say the same thing about Jim Ryan if the shoe were on the other foot. It's absolutely ridiculous that fanboys treat Phil Spencer as if he's a god.

And yet the vast majority of the obsessive comments about Phil Spencer here come from people who profess to loathe him.

He's getting credited for reversing what was a stupid decision in the first place.

And what exactly is the problem with that, if he's the one who reversed it? You're making the unfounded assumption that he's the one who made the decision to remove that perk in the first place.

I'm nobody

He doing want Putin did faked his death to test his how popular he is

Take away gamepass from the employees and give back now popular again

IFireflyl

Gold Member
And yet the vast majority of the obsessive comments about Phil Spencer here come from people who profess to loathe him.

You're one of the fervent fanboys, so you'll have to forgive me for not taking your comments to heart.

And what exactly is the problem with that, if he's the one who reversed it? You're making the unfounded assumption that he's the one who made the decision to remove that perk in the first place.

Again, he didn't have the power to reverse a decision regarding employee benefits for employees who weren't under his division. That would have to be cleared by others outside of his division. Phil Spencer is a mouthpiece. Hence my initial post in this thread. Keep up.

Last edited:

hlm666

Every time I see this cope argument it gets a bit more twisted, itā€™s like a spiral of madness.
I don't believe it for the record, I just pulled it out for a victory lap after seeing people in that thread use it then start posting about the poor microsoft employee entitlements in these threads then swing straight back to the other end of the pendulum when they got it back. Like I said, they have some good medication ;)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Itā€™s what $40 a year? Ffs this is embarrassing to even complain about
Trust me. There's so many entitled cheap people they'll hoard like packrats and complain for free shit.

My company is cool that theres always free shit handed out. Some of it is new, some ding and dented (hand out instead of trash it), sometimes there's lots and you can get multiples, sometimes you get one unit. Its not like someone stands there like a crossing guard handing stuff out. Most of the time it's just laid out on tables and you just walk by and grab it yourself.

If you want to see grown adults (who most make over $100,000 + bonus) act like packratters at a flea market you should see the waves of people with arms full of products as if the apocalypse is happening tomorrow. No shame either. You can tell by the products stacked on tables whether or not there's plenty to go around or if it's a stack of "well there's not a lot, I'll just take one" products.

Doesn't matter. Some people will take 10.

For all you guys, you know how at stores you see those mini cardboard displays on a shelf or a hanging clipstrip of products. Those things can hold anywhere from 10-30 units. Sometimes they are old and outdated so the product is left to grab. The point is to grab a unit or two from the display.

I've seen some people barge in and take an entire 24 unit display rushing back to their desk.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You're one of the fervent fanboys, so you'll have to forgive me for not taking your comments to heart.

Again, he didn't have the power to reverse a decision regarding employee benefits for employees who weren't under his division. That would have to be cleared by others outside of his division. Phil Spencer is a mouthpiece. Hence my initial post in this thread. Keep up.

I'll give credit to Spencer for actually addressing this though. As you say, this wasn't his responsibility. But apparently he did talk to whoever made this call and did help to get it reversed. So yeah....credit to Phil for that.

At the same time, it needs to be pointed out that Phil Spencer seems to have agreed with those of us who called this move petty and stupid.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Ozriel

M$FT

And youā€™re one of the platform warriors here so Iā€™m completely unconcerned with your thoughts on the matter.

For the record, I condemned this when I learnt of it. But youā€™re not here for logic or facts, are you?

I know many here have no experience working for major corporations, but Spencer is an EVP at Microsoft and sits at Nadellaā€™s leadership table. His influence cuts across all of Microsoft and he certainly can easily influence something as (relatively) minor as an additional $90 per annum in employee perks.

Try to keep up.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Some poor schlub in sector 7G just had a terrible day. All set to get a glowing performance review then twitter blew up his cost saving measure in to a worldwide scandal and a CEO had to step in and undo it at a likely not insignificant cost.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'll give credit to Spencer for actually addressing this though. As you say, this wasn't his responsibility. But apparently he did talk to whoever made this call and did help to get it reversed. So yeah....credit to Phil for that.

At the same time, it needs to be pointed out that Phil Spencer seems to have agreed with those of us who called this move petty and stupid.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

But that's my problem. You're saying to give credit to the person who agreed with the stupid move. That's not something that deserves credit to me. Screwing up and then righting the wrong doesn't deserve praise. This is exactly what they did with their always online DRM that was originally announced for the Xbox One. They shouldn't be praised for reversing course on that decision after getting backlash. They should be lambasted for even considering it in the first place.

And youā€™re one of the platform warriors here so Iā€™m completely unconcerned with your thoughts on the matter.

WTF is this? Who do I console/platform warrior for? Please show me the posts. I'll wait.

For the record, I condemned this when I learnt of it. But youā€™re not here for logic or facts, are you?

No offense, but it is rare to see you say something negative about Microsoft, even when they deserve it. I'm glad you said that at least, but you still refuse to admit that Phil isn't a knight in shining armor. This decision was abysmal. He would have had a say in it, and you're acting like he's the savior because he reversed a decision he was a part of.

I know many here have no experience working for major corporations, but Spencer is an EVP at Microsoft and sits at Nadellaā€™s leadership table. His influence cuts across all of Microsoft and he certainly can easily influence something as (relatively) minor as an additional $90 per annum in employee perks.

Try to keep up.

And he would have been involved in the original decision, which then led to employees outside of his division losing access. Try to keep up.

Topher

Gold Member
But that's my problem. You're saying to give credit to the person who agreed with the stupid move. That's not something that deserves credit to me. Screwing up and then righting the wrong doesn't deserve praise. This is exactly what they did with their always online DRM that was originally announced for the Xbox One. They shouldn't be praised for reversing course on that decision after getting backlash. They should be lambasted for even considering it in the first place.

I was under the impression that Phil Spencer was not aware of the change until employees complained about it. If that is the case then yeah, I give Spencer credit for helping to reverse the decision. However, if that is not the case then you are absolutely right.

MacReady13

Yay- now NO ONE has to own any games anymore!!!! The future of gaming looks so bright to me I wish someone could turn down those lights!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If you want to see grown adults (who most make over $100,000 + bonus) act like packratters at a flea market you should see the waves of people with arms full of products as if the apocalypse is happening tomorrow.
Haha. Yeah you should see our place after we have a catered on-site visit and they put the left over food out. Can't say I haven't grabbed an odd sandwich.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I was under the impression that Phil Spencer was not aware of the change until employees complained about it. If that is the case then yeah, I give Spencer credit for helping to reverse the decision. However, if that is not the case then you are absolutely right.

I mean, I have yet to work at a company where company-wide employee benefits change and the people at the top aren't aware of the changes. Either Microsoft isn't being managed well, so some lower-tier employee is able to make sweeping changes like this to employee benefits company-wide with no oversight (which, I admit, could be the scenario), or Phil knew about the changes before they were announced. There's really no other option, and I'm honestly not sure which of those options is worse.

I mean, I have yet to work at a company where company-wide employee benefits change and the people at the top aren't aware of the changes. Either Microsoft isn't being managed well, so some lower-tier employee is able to make sweeping changes like this to employee benefits company-wide with no oversight (which, I admit, could be the scenario), or Phil knew about the changes before they were announced. There's really no other option, and I'm honestly not sure which of those options is worse.
Hi just an observer I just had one question. If youā€™re not a big fan of Phil or Xbox why do you care so much? Usually I ignore these type of things itā€™s corporate talk it is what it is but the level of care your giving to this non issue is alarming.

Well it is something that is going to get billed to Xbox. My guess is Phil decided to make the cut and Phil decided to backtrack
No you ain't getting that, when Spencer himself said he heard nothing about it and was going to look into it. Few days later he reversed the decision of whomever made it.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Hi just an observer I just had one question. If youā€™re not a big fan of Phil or Xbox why do you care so much? Usually I ignore these type of things itā€™s corporate talk it is what it is but the level of care your giving to this non issue is alarming.

I have an Xbox Series X and a gaming PC. I am disappointed by moves that Microsoft makes, but I still want them to succeed as a company. I'm not sure where you're getting the information that I'm not a fan of Xbox. I am not a fan of Phil Spencer because he lies a lot, but I have that same stance for almost everyone in similar positions. I also am not a fan of Jim Ryan. Corporations (and their leadership) are not our friends.

Topher

Gold Member

You could just as easily say the same thing to all those bending over backwards to praise Phil Spencer. Why do they care so much?

All the drama outside of actual Microsoft employees came from rabid Playstation fans frothing at the mouth to MS' AUDACITY though šŸ˜˜

"cult community" lmao

Again......plenty of Xbox fans "frothing" in defense. They are not "actual Microsoft employees" either. Right?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Kiraly

You could just as easily say the same thing to all those bending over backwards to praise Phil Spencer. Why do they care so much?

Again......plenty of Xbox fans "frothing" in defense. They are not "actual Microsoft employees" either. Right?

The classic deflection, like always.

I have an Xbox Series X and a gaming PC. I am disappointed by moves that Microsoft makes, but I still want them to succeed as a company. I'm not sure where you're getting the information that I'm not a fan of Xbox. I am not a fan of Phil Spencer because he lies a lot, but I have that same stance for almost everyone in similar positions. I also am not a fan of Jim Ryan. Corporations (and their leadership) are not our friends.
Good answer and agreed at this point itā€™s better to just play the games youā€™re interested in. I have a pc so donā€™t really get involved with consoles unless the games are playable on my device corporations will always be corporations, unfortunately everyone on this website is a minority as long as the casuals keep spending being vocal about the lies etc wonā€™t do or mean much.

Fair but we also know shills are always gonna shill no matter what reasoning or logic you give them they will always shill. Idk I feel like some of you like engaging with them I see it all the time on here itā€™s like rinse repeat same outcome same talking points just a different scenario

Ozriel

M$FT
Some poor schlub in sector 7G just had a terrible day. All set to get a glowing performance review then twitter blew up his cost saving measure in to a worldwide scandal and a CEO had to step in and undo it at a likely not insignificant cost.

Like this, though likely signed off by someone in mid-upper management in HR/benefits. No rank and file person is changing company wide benefits.

WTF is this? Who do I console/platform warrior for? Please show me the posts. I'll wait.

No offense, but it is rare to see you say something negative about Microsoft, even when they deserve it.

I criticize Microsoft when I feel they deserve it.

Like this one, days ago in response to price increase for Series S in Brazil. Or this post in response to price increase of the Series X

Itā€™s really inane for you to expect everyone to share the same opinion as you do, and itā€™s perfectly valid for us to differ as to the times when they ā€˜deserve itā€™.

but you still refuse to admit that Phil isn't a knight in shining armor. This decision was abysmal. He would have had a say in it, and you're acting like he's the savior because he reversed a decision he was a part of.

And he would have been involved in the original decision, which then led to employees outside of his division losing access. Try to keep up.

Again, this is your ignorance speaking. Iā€™m certainly not claiming Phil is ā€˜a knight in shining armorā€™. Iā€™m really skeptical about your conclusion that he would have been involved in the earlier decision. Thatā€™s a level of granularity from a division he has no real responsibility over. An EVP overseeing the gaming division isnā€™t going line by line over employee benefits and perks.

The fact that a phrase ā€˜Phil Spencer deserves the credit for reversing thisā€™ triggers you this much is pretty much why youā€™re getting accusations of platform warring.

Topher

Gold Member
Fair but we also know shills are always gonna shill no matter what reasoning or logic you give them they will always shill. Idk I feel like some of you like engaging with them I see it all the time on here itā€™s like rinse repeat same outcome same talking points just a different scenario

Eh....some of us just like calling out stupid corporate decisions no matter who makes them. Yes, I agree it is often predictable how some here are going to respond.

Top Bottom