• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Selling as many consoles as Sony or Nintendo is not our approach

People really think MS is in a unique position to offer streaming services once that becomes the most popular way to game? This isn't like Netflix where they were the only ones in a prime position to offer the service and everyone else was playing catch up. Sony has readied themselves to take that step once the existing model is not as profitable.

Kokoloko85

I’m actually perplexed by Halo Infinite going free to play. You’d think they’d want it to be a carrot for keeping people within gamepass. I have no idea what Craig Spencer’s strategy is any longer, it’s all over the place.

Gamepass is definitely incompatible with Sony AAA style games which can be finished without turning a buck during gameplay. It would do no good for plebs to buy one month of gamepass, finish a new blockbuster, and check out till the next one drops.

Maybe Halo Infinite and other games since gamepass, still sell enough digital and physical copies outside of gamepass to make a good amount of money?

Im guessing there are still alot of Xbox and PC owners who aren’t on gamepass but still want to purchase Halo/Gears or any other MS studio or 2nd party titles.

Be interesting to see all the numbers And profits

Shmunter

Maybe Halo Infinite and other games since gamepass, still sell enough digital and physical copies outside of gamepass to make a good amount of money?

Im guessing there are still alot of Xbox and PC owners who aren’t on gamepass but still want to purchase Halo/Gears or any other MS studio or 2nd party titles.

Be interesting to see all the numbers And profits
But the Halo multi is f2p, so there’s no purchasing needed. The release is working against their strategy on all levels.

Klayzer

That’s why a pivot to GaaS is part of the strategy. The games will need to sustain themselves at some point.
Excellent point! Have the games pay for themselves over a period of time. The question is, how many games will that strategy work for. History has shown people will only pay for a select few titles with that model.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I remember back in 2013-2016 you were shouted at being a "conspiracy theorist" for this, now those same people have come to terms with the writing that has been on the wall.
Lol. Poor DanielM. He paid the ultimate price for exposing Xbox's future strategy. The prophet got banned for his beliefs. Just joking mods:messenger_winking_tongue:

Same as I would say: having sex with super models is not my approach.

As in, it would never happen anyway, just like selling as many xboxs as ps5/switch will not happen anyway

NickFire

They are releasing the most powerful console in history, and a weaker version to get as many people in their eco-system as possible. Ultimately they are focused on profit, but claiming they aren't trying to sell the most consoles (and expand their customer base) is just pr for "we will claim victory no matter what."

El Sueño

Sony is prepared in the streaming front too. If they want, they could take 5 or more generations of exclusives (ps1-2-3-4-vita-psp) to psnow only (when consoles ceased to exist). MS has given Sony too much adventage.

Last edited:
People really think MS is in a unique position to offer streaming services once that becomes the most popular way to game? This isn't like Netflix where they were the only ones in a prime position to offer the service and everyone else was playing catch up. Sony has readied themselves to take that step once the existing model is not as profitable.
Yeah but it can't hurt to start going all in now i mean Gamepass has 10 million plus subs and growing pretty quickly and if they keep the same pace they are at now which is 10 million subscribers in a little more than 3 years time than by the end of next gen they will have 30-40 million plus gamepass subscribers do you see where this is going the potential is enormous if they play their cards right by the end of the PS5 and XSX life they will become the Nextflix of gaming wile PS Now will still be playing catch up.

Last edited:
PLEASE show me ONE quote where Phil or anyone else at Xbox said they DO NOT want to sell consoles.
If they don't care about how much they sell, by definition they do not want to sell consoles. Consoles are sold at a near loss and it is hard to do. If you don't care about how many you sell then why sell at all?

They need to place xCloud on the Switch then. They would make so much money...
Once upon a time, Microsoft was a great supplier of third party games. I mean no ill will towards Xbox, but I genuinely believe Microsoft would be able to make better games if they didn't have to make a console as well.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Once upon a time, Microsoft was a great supplier of third party games. I mean no ill will towards Xbox, but I genuinely believe Microsoft would be able to make better games if they didn't have to make a console as well.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. The people who R&D and engineer consoles have nothing to do with their developers. By that logic, you would argue Microsoft should discontinue making laptops, video games and cloud services and focus only on Windows.

Top Bottom