• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer speculated about shutting down Xbox to start a mobile company within MS

StueyDuck

I though uncy Phil-Phil just was one of the gang, would come over for some brews and some dubs in our lan session. 🤣 peace and love and kumbaya and all of that.

The bragging and posing after the showcase was bemusing to me, a better effort than last year I reckon but it wasn’t the hit it out of the park I had hoped for.

My opinion hasn’t changed, I don’t trust this guy, him and his teams lack self awareness and just throw money at the problem when it’s clear it’s a people issue. He knew RedFall was going to disappoint , it’s why I never fell for that interview he gave a few weeks ago.

“We lost the console war”. Because you don’t learn , you lack self awareness and when you have a growing army of influencers and zealots who make it more about you instead of the content and the brand itself then it’s a major problem. How do things get better when the people you conveniently turn to , to get a feel of the consumer base feelings on matters, more or less give a sycophantic routine most of the time?

I’ll wager Sarah Bond will take over eventually and it will be the same shite, the same social media farce, except anyone who isn’t impressed with her efforts will be called misogynistic or racist.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Phil. You could see his mental health starting to take a hit in his post-Redfall interview. So much of this shit he will never live down, about him or those around him, and I hope he holds it together.
I don’t feel sorry for him. He makes a metric shit ton of money in his position. He can deal with some stress.

Fredrik

We are in the endgame now.

I kinda hope Microsoft gets Activision. This is some truly sad shit. Mismanagement of epic proportions. Incompetence at every level.

They refuse to be a leader in gaming. They refuse to go build something great.
Wait what why?? You’re like a Sony hyper fan, why would you hope Microsoft gets Activision?

The reason I don’t care much is because I have all consoles anyway so nothing will change except possibly more games on Gamepass.
Do you have a Xbox Series? Gamepass sub?

I really just want the platform war circus to end. So in a way I hope they lose. And I want them to acquire other devs like Asobo for Flight Sim and they need to pay billions for Moon to not kill Ori. I think ABK will end all acquisition plans, so from my perspective it’s bad, I don’t play COD either.

Last edited:

Hope to get a few more years out of my X, but reading this I cannot invest in another console whilst these guys are in charge.

That email was a special kind of stupid, but the lack of a kick back shows it isn't just Phil who doesn't have a clue. I was all onboard for MS this gen but now feel they shouldn't be allowed to buy up high profile studios and IPs, if they do there is too much risk they shut down half the industry to chase candy crush.

They want to be gatekeepers but they seem to lack commitment / competance to do that off the back off their own games.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
do it jewish GIF

Microsoft is disgusting. Their behavior is off-putting, maybe I will not touch Starfield.

Well without supporting DLSS, a certain group might boycott Starfield in the end.

Last edited:
Their whole narrative about gamepass is hilarious! We're talking about the company that put Zune and Windows Vista (I could name a lot more) in the market to reinvent the wheel with the same narrative... At this point, MS is run by idiots.

ZoukGalaxy

They really have no real strategy, that's astonishing, they are just chasing for the money printer like a Saint Graal. They could sell their mothers if it was the solution 😹
I see no passion for games in all these emails and that's really sad...

Hello Kitty Omg GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Just makes his story that he saved Xbox One after Mattrick left more and more unlikely, especially since no one will support him in that who was actually around when the meeting too place, the alleged meeting.

That may be why he shut down a crap load of studios and got rid of staff, he was probably thinking about mobile, but when Windows Phone 10 failed and their mobile games across OS's weren't doing that hot he must have stopped and said "shit, we needed Xbox after all but don't have time to rebuild, Satya i need money for acquisitions."

SHA

I hear voices in my head
They council me
They understand
They talk to me
They tell me things that I will do
They show me things I'll do to you
They talk to me(talk to me x3)
All the lawyers are defenseless
All the doctors are disease
And the preachers' are the sinners
And police just take the grease