• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "We are actually the better owner of any game ip than any other publisher on the Planet" "Engagement is our oxygen"

This email is obviously a peptalk to rally the troops (and it's about revenue potential). It's not like he's going around blabbering about this is interviews. That said, he can boast about Minecraft and the success of the IP post acquisition.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
7zpjdx.jpg

Crayon

No. Fauci's contributions to medicine are historical milestones. His research led to the development of AZT for HIV infected patients, for example. It cannot be understated.

Off topic it's strangely calming me down to talk about something else lol. It's true that he's just made the biggest mistake of his career, but it is a long and illustrious career.

Killjoy-NL

No. Fauci's contributions to medicine are historical milestones. His research led to the development of AZT for HIV infected patients, for example. It cannot be understated.
Same is being said about Spencer and GamePass.

Edit:

I'm not going to get into an entire Fauci debate, but he also was behind the Wuhan lab leak.

I'll leave it at that.

People who get my comment, get it. It was more of a joke anyway.
Better to get back on-topic. :)

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
"I want to make it clear to Google, Amazon etc that you are NOT going to catch us in gaming.....I just want to put us out of reach".

Same old Microsoft. They don't like having serious competition. They want to crush all competition under their boot and then swivel it into the dirt for good measure.
To be fair, Nintendo and Sony would both be thrilled if the other was knocked out.

The difference is that Nintendo and Sony know how to manage their studios to produce compelling first party content. Neither of them have money to burn like MS, so making sure games are good and ship on time becomes far more important and critical to their success.

Ev1L AuRoN

Well, they are in the unique position to spend Sony out of the market. I want to see how they behave once they buy their way to the top, They will eventually want to get back all that Office Money.

Same is being said about Spencer and GamePass.

Edit:

I'm not going to get into an entire Fauci debate, but he also was behind the Wuhan lab leak.

I'll leave it at that.

People who get my comment, get it. It was more of a joke anyway.
Better to get back on-topic. :)
There is no lab leak as well. There is, however, a campaign to convince people there was one though, just like there is with the alien bogus. You can talk to actual scientists. We are willing to answer questions.

Should get back on topic though.

MarkMe2525

Putting aside the validity of the strategy, it's obvious that Phil is not bullshitting when he states that engagement is his priority. I see his statements on "engagement " represented as him somehow conceding due to lower sales figures, and not genuine. I don't see how anyone, being honest, can say that after reading all of his internal discussions. For better or worse, he is serious.

Now, lets take into account the validity of the strategy. With Xbox receiving an average of $9.50 monthly per gamepass subscriber, it seems like of they can keep costs from ballooning, it's a sound revenue driver. Close to $250 million in semi guaranteed monthly revenue is nothing to sneeze at. Though we have to remember that at one point they had around 30 million (correct me if I'm wrong) xbox live subscribers which probably got them around $4-6 monthly per user. 🤔 At best, they doubled their average monthly subscription revenue. At worst, Gamepass has only increased the subscription revenue by 58%.

Is that enough, I don't think so. But what do I know, I'm not Quasimoto. Obviously there goal is to get more subscribers, only time will tell if his "engagement first" strategy will result in that happening.

Edit: btw, if my math is off, feel free to correct.

Last edited:
I'm sure Halo fans would be delighted to offer a counter argument to that claim.

Along with fans of Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Quake, and every other franchise that's been collecting dust since Microsoft bought them.

Sanepar

To be fair, Nintendo and Sony would both be thrilled if the other was knocked out.

The difference is that Nintendo and Sony know how to manage their studios to produce compelling first party content. Neither of them have money to burn like MS, so making sure games are good and ship on time becomes far more important and critical to their success.
Yeah but both are great on game management. MS is a disaster.

Brigandier

What an absolute load of bullshit....

Halo which was one of the biggest FPS IP on the market is now on life support and hasn't been good since the 360 era.

Perfect Dark one entry, dev hell
Banjo dead
Rallisport dead
Everwild dev hell
Kameo dead
Viva Pinata dead
Killer Instinct dead
Fable 13 years since last game

Announced 8 studio acquisitions 5 years ago, so where's the video games????

What I noticed with MS and Xbox is if a new IP isn't an instant hit or if a reboot isn't a huge hit they most of the time just give up on it instead of trying to figure out what was wrong what could be improved and to try again with a team goal of releasing something excellent with some determination not to fail.

The way xbox's studios are ran has to be seriously questioned because it is imho absolutely embarrassing and whoever it is in charge of them is stealing a living.

DeaDPo0L84

Can't wait until my wife ask what I'm gonna do tonight and I can respond with "hmm, think I'm gonna have some engagement with my PC". If she doesn't get a lawyer I'll be disappointed.

Top Bottom