• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philips Momentum 4K HDR display with Ambiglow 559M1RYV Designed for Xbox

pasterpl

Optimized performance for next-gen console gaming

For true console gaming enthusiasts, the Designed for Xbox Momentum display delivers a new era of gaming. Level-up with sound by audio experts Bowers & Wilkins and new Ambiglow lighting for deeper immersion and overall gaming awesomeness.

Designed for Xbox
• Designed for Xbox for the optimal gaming experience • Smooth console gaming at 4K / 120Hz
• 4K / 144Hz PC gaming on the big screen
• Purpose-built for low latency gaming
• DisplayHDR 1000 for truly vivid details and realism
Design for immersive entertainment
• Integrated Bowers & Wilkins speakers for immersive sound • Ambiglow adds a new dimension to your viewing experience
Features for gamers needs
• LowBlue mode and Flicker-free easy-on-the eyes viewing • USB-C one cable does it all
• MultiView enables simultaneous dual connect and view

I am really tempted to get this when it releases in couple of weeks time, but with price tag around £1200-£1300 I am wondering if I should go for Samsung or LG smart tv instead. I need this to work as my pc monitor (work and gaming) for work and additional screen for my xbsex. So I am reaching out to neogaf experts for the advice.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
The LG OLED CX/C1 48" will have significantly better HDR performance with infinite contrast and proper blacks, at the cost of some max nits performance. This doesn't say whether it's local dimming or edge lit, but probably some kind of local dimming. tbh, this seems like a mid-range Philips TV that has been tuned and marketed for gaming. The ambilight feature is cool, though.

pasterpl

The LG OLED CX/C1 48" will have significantly better HDR performance with infinite contrast and proper blacks, at the cost of some max nits performance. This doesn't say whether it's local dimming or edge lit, but probably some kind of local dimming. tbh, this seems like a mid-range Philips TV that has been tuned and marketed for gaming. The ambilight feature is cool, though.
It says that it is

Picture/Display
• LCD panel type: VA LCD
• Backlight type: W-LED system

longdi

Banned
Optimized performance for next-gen console gaming

For true console gaming enthusiasts, the Designed for Xbox Momentum display delivers a new era of gaming. Level-up with sound by audio experts Bowers & Wilkins and new Ambiglow lighting for deeper immersion and overall gaming awesomeness.

Designed for Xbox
• Designed for Xbox for the optimal gaming experience • Smooth console gaming at 4K / 120Hz
• 4K / 144Hz PC gaming on the big screen
• Purpose-built for low latency gaming
• DisplayHDR 1000 for truly vivid details and realism
Design for immersive entertainment
• Integrated Bowers & Wilkins speakers for immersive sound • Ambiglow adds a new dimension to your viewing experience
Features for gamers needs
• LowBlue mode and Flicker-free easy-on-the eyes viewing • USB-C one cable does it all
• MultiView enables simultaneous dual connect and view

I am really tempted to get this when it releases in couple of weeks time, but with price tag around £1200-£1300 I am wondering if I should go for Samsung or LG smart tv instead. I need this to work as my pc monitor (work and gaming) for work and additional screen for my xbsex. So I am reaching out to neogaf experts for the advice.

Philips VA panel usually have really good contrast ratio and low input lag, this is 4000:1, and when you add in max hdr 1400 cdm2, it should look more striking than oled in a bright room.

BUT i would not use 55" with a pc. This is likely to have BGR sub-pixel, their last big screen 'pc monitor' used it, and even worse, it does not light up all BGR sub-pixels (likely energy savings so to hit its advertised cdm2)....which makes text grainy and images vignetted.

It is the same thing with Oled on pc, its RGBW sub-pixel makes text looks less sharp.

But i wont mind get one at £1000, it should trounce similarly priced TV. It probably has a paltry 32-48 dimming zones but still better than budget TV.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
So is it 144 or 120? Or is it 144 DP and 120 HDMI?

Why would you have a 55" monitor? For that to even be an option you must have a weird or suboptimal setup.

Something like this would be a second monitor...

reksveks

So is it 144 or 120? Or is it 144 DP and 120 HDMI?

Why would you have a 55" monitor? For that to even be an option you must have a weird or suboptimal setup.

Something like this would be a second monitor...
It depends on the input you use but it's 144 (not 100% sure on the resolution, definitely 1440p but possible 4k) over dp 1.4 and 4k120 over hdmi 2.1.

It does sound like it was a PC first product

Last edited:

reksveks

according to google it is nit as good as Ambilight
Yeah, I have never tried the Philips TV despite buying a lot of hue lights but wouldn't be surprised. I am probably just going to be get the new TV focused light strips and then debate the sync box. Wish they just partnered with Xbox and nvidia to build it in.

TBiddy

Yeah, I have never tried the Philips TV despite buying a lot of hue lights but wouldn't be surprised. I am probably just going to be get the new TV focused light strips and then debate the sync box. Wish they just partnered with Xbox and nvidia to build it in.

We have a Philips TV at home. It's excellent. A bit pricey, but I assume that's because of Ambilight, which is one of the best things since sliced bread. It doesn't add to the immersion per se, but when you turn it off, it's clear how pleasant it is to have.

reksveks

We have a Philips TV at home. It's excellent. A bit pricey, but I assume that's because of Ambilight, which is one of the best things since sliced bread. It doesn't add to the immersion per se, but when you turn it off, it's clear how pleasant it is to have.
Got the play bar stuck on the back of my TV at the moment but with no sync box so it's an active task to play the movie through my PC and make sure the app is running. Plus too many wires.

Think I am just slowly trying to get back to the experience that I had with a child of eden demo.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I have a Philips OLED 55" at home, with ambilight too. Great display and the ambilight is a nice gimmick. My only complain is the TV is programmed to go on sleep mode every few hours (to preserve the OLED) and put a huge warning sign in the middle of the screen, which is annoying. But otherwise a pleasure for the eyes.
That TV on the OP though seem more a marketing rebrand than anything else.

mitchman

Gold Member
It says that it is

Picture/Display
• LCD panel type: VA LCD
• Backlight type: W-LED system
That doesn't say whether it's local dimming or edge lit, just that it's a VA panel using W-LED (which is practically the same as LED).

Amaranty

VA panel and flicker free? Interesting, considering that most VA type TVs use PWM which adds flickering.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
wow this is everything I need VA (IPS is gross), HDMI 2.1, 55", HDR 1000 since its XBOX branded it should have Dolby Vision

I owned a Philips CRT monitor for 18 years until it crapped out if they still have that level of quality I'm in

Using an OLED as a PC monitor is a no go (I don't vary content enough) so that isn't even an option for me

Last edited:
I use govee lighting on my tv. I enjoy it and it definitely eases eye strain when viewing in a dark setting. I'd recommend any kind of bias lighting over none. I'm meh as far as the phillips tv is concerned.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wait Philips still exists? I remember that company when I was a kid but I thought the brand died?
Philips is still huge in medical equipment.
But you are kinda right.. they sold their tv stuff years ago.. This display is just a name has nothing to do with Philips anymore

SoraNoKuni

I have a Philips OLED and I really like the IQ, can even argue the results are better than most OLED lgs I have seen.

But I'd probably go LG next time because of software updates, they seem to fix bugs and add features more occasionally.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'm sure its a good TV. Make sure all the features they tout are available out of the box. Don't fall for the okie doke. I went with a Samsung TV myself because of the game motion plus(low latency motion interpolation for 30fps games) and it can do 4K 120hz on HDMI 2.0 so I wont have the upgrade from my 2080ti.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I think this uses edge-lit local dimming (vertical backlights).

IMO don't spend the extra money on a gimmick like ambiglow if that means missing out on the panel.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Xbox branded means blind buy for me
Cant See Cheech Marin GIF

Thedtrain

Those hue sync box are just too expensive even in the context of the already expensive hue lights
Damn you have that right. when you include everything you need for the LED strips to work with your cable box 😳

hdmi bridge
hue Sync box
LED strips + extra length.

luckily my wife seems to love the lights changing with the TV or she’d have murdered me

mcjmetroid

I don't know guys, I recently had to return a Phillips TV because it had Garbage HDR, I'm talking crusehd Blacks, insane pixelation the works.
Phillips support kept telling me to wait for an upcoming system patch to fix the "phenomemum" with that paricular model.

Luckily the store offered me a full refund after I had sent them screenshots over the problem.

It was an entry level 4K unit but it advertised HDR10 and DolbyVision which for the price seemed great.

Just know that if you're going to buy a Phillips TV, get it from a store you know is good. It's Philips policy to get the customer to email in directly to them with any issues and their Ireland/UK support leaves a lot to be desired.

Phillips TVs also tend to have bad menus and non implemntation of Android. Unless they've fixed that I'd avoid them also.

Top Bottom