• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix infant dies in hot car - second such death in city in 2 days (Read the OP)

Media

Guys not getting the science and saying the parents should burn;

There's a point to us sharing the article over and over again. We are flawed creatures, and more so when we think "Oh, I'm not a horrible negligent parent, so I would never do that!"

You then never think about it. And raise your chance of actually doing it.

Understanding the science behind forgotten baby syndrome, being aware of it at all times possible, and accepting that such a mistake can happen, even to you, lowers your chances of actually making the mistake.

Blaming bad parenting is washing your hands of it and denying the reality that yes, you too could be an awful, negligent parent if you aren't careful.

Brannon

They need to make a product like tile but for kids. I know this sounds fucking stupid but I'm beyond the point of trusting parents with their kids in the summer. It could be intrgrated into their pacifier or something. When the kid gets in the car the baby device pairs with the car. If the car then detects the kid is still in the car >30 minutes after turning it off have the alarm blare.

Can the company that makes that product guarantee that it won't fail? Because it only has to fail ONCE, and that maker is done. The price of failure is just too high to risk it, and I don't know of any company that would even think of entertaining that risk. Exploding Galaxy phones are a blessing comparatively speaking.

GhaleonEB

Things I've forgotten to do or done wrong, the past year:

Left my work laptop at home, only realizing it when I arrived at work after a 45-minute commute. I can do zero work when I get there without it. I'd left it in a different part of the house than usual and didn't grab it on the way out the door.

Left my wallet at home when taking my daughter to a movie. I'd put it upstairs rather than next to my keys by the door (bought something online, left it by the computer). We missed that showing but went to the next.

Taken my older daughter to the middle school in the morning. She was a freshman. This was deep into the school year, but two years of muscle memory kicked in. She was on her phone and looked up and was like, "Dad. Wrong school?"

The list goes on. The first two were caused by small changes to my routine, but they resulted in me forgetting critical things that felt really dumb to do and obvious not to forget. The last one was just my normal routine kicking in: my wife takes Nat to school most days, until she started working this year and I did so on those days. But driving routines from the prior two years kicked in and off I went.

I'm not stupid and it certainly wasn't on purpose. Routine, fatigue and a stressful work schedule were contributing factors.

It's a pretty thin line between things like that and having a sleeping baby in the car while doing an activity during which I don't normally have a sleeping baby in the car, and forgetting about it. I read these stories and think, thank god I got through without ever doing that. Because I could have. Easily.

Mathieran

Banned
You're right. I forgot we live in a limp wristed world now where people can't be held accountable for stupidity and negligence. Let's pat them on the back and call it an accident. It's OK! You only killed someone on accident!

LOL!

Your posts are on the level of a Facebook or YouTube comment. Please keep the levels of debate to a higher quality. We don't need this shit here.

It's amazing to see all the dishonest and intellectually lazy arguments in this thread. There is science that explains this shit. If you don't like the facts then either find a good study that refutes it or do your own.

No one is putting a life on the same leve as an object. What they are saying is when you get in a routine your brain can lie to you. You think you dropped your kid off, and your memory, perhaps from another day where you did, says you did.

I have 2 kids (9 and 2) and I have never forgotten them in the car, but I am very paranoid about leaving my younger one in the car. Thankfully he is very noisy so it's tough to forget he's there, and my paranoia helps as well. The people who think they would never do it are ironically more likely to do it, I would wager.

My daughter is 9 so I can't accidentally leave her anymore at least. The worst I've done so far was start heading to work one morning but I caught myself before I made the wrong turn.

There's a point to us sharing the article over and over again. We are flawed creatures, and more so when we think "Oh, I'm not a horrible negligent parent, so I would never do that!"

Understanding the science behind forgotten baby syndrome, being aware of it at all times possible, and accepting that such a mistake can happen, even to you, lowers your chances of actually making the mistake.

Blaming bad parenting is washing your hands of it and denying the reality that yes, you too could be an awful, negligent parent if you aren't careful.

We live in a society where science is frowned upon and anything that is too hard to understand is deemed "fake news". Idiots want an easy answer, they want good and evil. They just want someone to blame.

It can happen to anyone who never heard of this i guess. But why leave your kid in a car for two hours anyway? That's just irresponsible. Even if you never heard of this particular danger.

Zoe

My coworker just had to leave because she forgot a piece of her pumping equipment. She has done that several times over the past year. She's also not sure if she turned off her hair straightener.

Bad parent, right?

It can happen to anyone who never heard of this i guess. But why leave your kid in a car for two hours anyway? That's just irresponsible. Even if you never heard of this particular danger.

They didn't leave their kid in a car for two hours, they forgot their kid.

emalord

"You feel like it's something that could happen to anybody," she said.

Someone lock this bitch up!

No, this does not happen to anybody. When it' fucking boiling outside, why would you "forget" to take your kid?

What, you took the diaper bag but forgot the kid? A 1 year old requires a full diaper bag, bottles of milk, stroller, snacks, etc...

You have 50 million things in your possession to remind you that you brought your kid along.

Here in Italy it happens 2/3 times per year

Usually the father/mother go at work pretty sure they left the kid at Kindergarten but they didn't

Unfortunately I feel one day this might happen also to me or to anybody with too many things going on in their head

They didn't leave their kid in a car for two hours, they forgot their kid.
Ah right. That's what hppens in a lot of cases i heard.
And i know it can happen to any stressed out parent. I just can't fully imagine it yet. Bit i think everyone should be sensible enough to realize that the possibility is there. So stay sharp.

wvnative

We live in a society where science is frowned upon and anything that is too hard to understand is deemed "fake news". Idiots want an easy answer, they want good and evil. They just want someone to blame.

Nobody is saying defects in the human brain can't cause you to forget your kid briefly. But there are plenty of warning signs to remind you that you have the kid. Rear view mirror? Peripheral vision? Baby making some kinda noise even if it's asleep? Other people in the parking lot who see a kid in the hot car?

Seriously, even with our flaws, this SHOULDN'T happen. Ever.

Nobody is saying defects in the human brain can't cause you to forget your kid briefly. But there are plenty of warning signs to remind you that you have the kid. Rear view mirror? Peripheral vision? Baby making some kinda noise even if it's asleep? Other people in the parking lot who see a kid in the hot car?

You'd be surprised at how little noise babies make when they're asleep. When our daughter was born it took us months to get past poking her to make sure she was still alive. Plus alot of carseats face backwards, so you can't see into them from the front seat. Other people seeing the kid after you've left doesn't help at all, since you've already left.

I don't know why people are so hesitant to admit that sometimes bad shit just happens and no one is really to blame.

GhaleonEB

And yet it does happen, to good parents, who love their kids and are trying their best to take care of them. And it happens often enough that it's very clear something else is going on.

Routine, stress and fatigue are powerful things and make you forget things you don't ever think you would forget.

slit

It SHOULDN'T but it does. In some cases, it doesn't make the person negligent or stupid. There are a lot of things that happen that should not.

And yet it does. So let's get passed this denial/disbelief stage.

Seriously, this needs to be repeated a million times.

Bakercat

I always hate hearing this stuff because I'm always scared if I have children I would forget they're in the car. I'm very forgetful about basic shit you should know like always going out to car and finding out I forgot the keys for example. But at the same time, I usually remember them pretty quickly afterwards, not two hours later.

DR2K

Banned
I wouldn't even leave my 3DS in a car. I just can't fathom leaving a child or dog in a car.

We basically have highway signs in Houston begging people not to leave kids and dogs in cars.

wvnative

I wouldn't even leave my 3DS in a car. I just can't fathom leaving a child or dog in a car.

We basically have highway signs in Houston begging people not to leave kids and dogs in cars.

Yeah, looks like those signs need to be nationwide...

-_-

Yeah maybe I should go. Rather not stoop down to passive aggressive trash talking like someone on here.
This is one of the most passive-aggressive posts I've ever read!
I get why people are angry. We keep getting these stories every year(they seem to only happen in the summer for some reason) and you would think people would be extra careful.
This happens at all times of the year. We hear about it because kids die when it happens in summer.
I guess I just don't understand how people can fall so deeply into a routine.
Have you ever forgotten your wallet, keys or phone? Why would you do that? Those things are very important to your daily life. In fact, you'd have to be a neglectful idiot to forget something like that. What a stupid person you must be! Or, your routine was somehow changed and your brain didn't remember and so you forgot. Our brains are very capable of being on automatic-pilot.
Every single person that does this needs to be charged with murder, maybe then people will stop "forgetting"
I don't know which is worse, living in a world where a quirk of brain wiring can lead to a terrible outcome, or living in one with a lot of remorseless child murderers. Is the sky blood-red in your world?

wvnative

Because that would be bad, wouldn't it? Why bother trying to understand why things happen when you can just call someone crazy or stupid. Welcome to Trump's America, I guess.

I understand there is almost always scientific explanation for these types of things. But I have long been fearing that we are already too quick to assign something like FBS as answers to these things. I believe doing so sets a dangerous precedent. This gives legit bad/stupid people an excuse.

How much "science" is there behind this claim? Typically you need years of research. But a semi-recent trend has suddenly found a scientific explanation?

Bullshit. Not everything is a fucking medical problem. It disturbs me deeply that we are already finding a free pass for parents that do this.

Media

I understand there is almost always scientific explanation for these types of things. But I have long been fearing that we are already too quick to assign something like FBS as answers to these things. I believe doing so sets a dangerous precedent. This gives legit bad/stupid people an excuse.

How much "science" is there behind this claim? Typically you need years of research. But a semi-recent trend has suddenly found a scientific explanation?

Bullshit. Not everything is a fucking medical problem. It disturbs me deeply that we are already finding a free pass for parents that do this.

There are two reasons why there isn't decades of research. It wasn't happening until about ten years ago when two things changed:

1. Infant car seat were made illegal to be placed in the front seat
2. Babies 0-10 monthish were legally made to be in a rear facing car seat.

These two changes made it so that the baby wasn't ever in your line of sight while driving. Out of sight out of might isn't just a stupid saying. Our brains are fucked up.

All the understanding we have of this leads us away from the notion that it's a lack of responsibility. All the understanding we have of this points us toward variety of factors that result in this kind of tragic event. If everything we know is pointing us away from your stance, shouldn't you be at least a little bit skeptical of your own position?

Who is giving anybody an excuse or a free pass? These parents are going to have to live with the guilt of losing a child whose death was highly preventable. It's disturbing that you see knowledge and understanding as a bad thing. Like, understanding why these things happen might help to prevent them in the future, yet your mind goes straight to some stupid "people are just trying to get a free pass!!" bullshit. Pretty telling.

Gotchaye

I mean, I don't think the claim needs much scientific support. Parents tend to be pretty attached to their children for whatever reason. It's just not plausible that what's going on here is that so many parents are plotting to murder their babies by leaving them in hot cars or that they're being knowingly reckless. There's got to be another explanation for this. And the obvious one is that actually this is just a tragic accident that can happen to almost anyone who isn't an obsessive checklist-user.

Like, what is your theory of why it's so important that we not give people "an excuse"? Will there be an epidemic of conscious infanticide if we don't start from a strong presumption that parents don't actually want their kids to die? Will someone who might otherwise have accidentally left their baby to die in a hot car instead think to themselves: "Wait, I'd better go back and check the car because I wouldn't want to go to jail for accidentally killing my kid?"

This just seems silly. Punishment here is pretty pointless because it's not going to change anybody's behavior. The problem here is not parents not caring enough whether their kid dies. The problem is that, for the hour or two it takes, it doesn't even occur to them that this might happen.

wvnative

All the understanding we have of this leads us away from the notion that it's a lack of responsibility. All the understanding we have of this points us toward variety of factors that result in this kind of tragic event. If everything we know is pointing us away from your stance, shouldn't you be at least a little bit skeptical of your own position?

I'm typically pretty open minded but this is just very difficult for me to comprehend. I don't doubt people forget, hell I probably would get stuck on auto pilot too. But I feel very confident there would be enough going on around me that my memory would be jogged long before I got to work. Just seeing a car seat in my back seat would make me double check the car seat. I'm also pretty hyper focused on my task so I would think it just wouldn't get out of my mind for long.

I dunno, we're talking about freaking babies, not fucking cellphones...

Spyware

That's a completely different thing. That's for people who think "I'm just going to shop for x amounts of time, they'll be fine" because they don't know how fast a car becomes hot as hell even in the shade.

The thing about kids dying or almost dying in hot cars are not related to that in a majority of cases. Those cases are the results of something completely different that you can read about in a couple of articles posted in the OP.

I'm typically pretty open minded but this is just very difficult for me to comprehend. I don't doubt people forget, hell I probably would get stuck on auto pilot too. But I feel very confident there would be enough going on around me that my memory would be jogged long before I got to work. Just seeing a car seat in my back seat would make me double check the car seat. I'm also pretty hyper focused on my task so I would think it just wouldn't get out of my mind for long.

I dunno, we're talking about freaking babies, not fucking cellphones...

If you were really open minded you would be able to understand, or at least try to, and empathize with things that might happen differently than they would to you. If you were really open minded your entire world view wouldn't revolve solely around yourself and how you do things.

Vyer

That you think they have a 'free pass' goes a long way to understanding the disconnect here, I feel. Unless you believe that these are all just sneaky murderers that want to kill their kids or hugely negligent parents that really don't give a shit (and just a little bit of research shows us that's not the case), then those people have anything but a free pass.

In fact, they have a personal hell and punishment that's probably more than any of us can really try to imagine.

In addition, what exactly is the precedent you think is being set? No one is advocating not investigating these situations, not understanding history of neglect, not understanding intent and premeditation, etc. etc.

You don't see how simply writing this off as 'obviously they are just bad/stupid people or murderers, couldn't be anything else' and moving on can be far more harmful than actually trying to understand the issue?

Science and medical research can exist for a reason. Understanding can lead to prevention. Just because the condition doesn't hopefully doesn't ever apply to 'you', doesn't mean solving the problem is not important to the rest of the world.

Raguel

Fuck there is so much stupid in this thread. Christ. It's really not hard to read up on this. Just a simple search and the information is there. Fuck people. We really are getting stupider.

Yeah as I had mentioned earlier in the thread, I use Waze to go everywhere in the car now even if I know where I'm going because it has the child reminder function. It visually and audibly asks you if you have your kid when the route ends.

Thank you so much for this piece of information. Just what I was looking for.

I think there are different levels of an "accident" though. That alone is not enough for me to be okay with letting the person off without punishment. It could be a legitimate accident but it's also seen from the investigation that the parent is incredibly negligent and irresponsible with their child in general.

What would your thoughts be in the case where yes, it's a clear accident, but the investigation shows a history of negligence with their child?
Nobody here is condoning negligence. There's a difference between criminal neglect and the situations outlined in many of these cases.

I personally have changed how I operate every day to avoid this because I know for a fact that my forgetfulness could lead to something like this. I always bring a bag with me to work and I used to put it on the front passenger seat. I now put that bag in the rear passenger seat so that if my son was there I have a much higher chance of seeing him. I never ever forget this bag. I need it for work, as it carries my lunch and some work materials and it's so ingrained into my routine that I immediately notice it missing when I forget it in my vehicle momentarily. I've never had my son in this vehicle but some day I might, so I take these precautions. Not everyone has read these articles, or perhaps they're dismissive just like you. People just need to be humble enough to realize their own fallibility.

Also, with respect to punishment, do you not think that living with the knowledge that your actions lead to your own baby baking to death is punishment? They live in an eternal hell already.

johnny956

Yeah. It's really worth it to buy one of those mirrors that you can strap onto the headrest so that you can see your child's face in the rearview.

Yea after reading about these deaths we got one before our daughter was born. Those first couple of months I've never been so tired but between the Waze app baby reminder and that mirror it's hard to forget

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Fuck there is so much stupid in this thread. Christ. It's really not hard to read up on this. Just a simple search and the information is there. Fuck people. We really are getting stupider.

It's immensely frustrating because everything about this phenomenon is meticulously explained in a single, well-researched article.

Hell, even all the kneejerk vitriol the article inevitably stirred up was researched and studied as a sort of addendum.

Bottom line: IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE.

I'm pretty upset that someone can think that parents suffering through the death of their own child are getting a free pass. Even the fleeting thought of have to deal with my daughters death is almost too much to handle. I can't imagine actually going through it, never mind being responsible for it. Like, do people think that most parents don't love their kids? I don't think anyone can fathom the amount of guilt, self loathing and despair a parent in this situation would feel.

Kyuur

Reading the article I can't tell if the parents are being charged or not. I believe it was an accident.

The "science" argument is weak because ultimately many crimes that we punish people for are due to neural problems. There's no reason why this particular example should be exempt from a manslaughter charge while others should not. People who accidentally kill others than their child are surely wracked with guilt as well.

Honestly I might prefer jail or death if I accidentally killed my child. Not sure what punishment people here are expecting to be levied against this woman (or any parent that does this) that would change things or somehow alleviate the gravity of her actions.

Myriadis

Something similar happened tp me. Not a baby or child, but I once forgot my frriends on the backseat and I locked the car with them still inside. And I know I'm not the only one. My pals coild still get out no problem. But a little child can't and that's really horrifying. It indeed can happen to anyone.

Reading the article I can't tell if the parents are being charged or not. I believe it was an accident.

The "science" argument is weak because ultimately many crimes that we punish people for are due to neural problems. There's no reason why this particular example should be exempt from a manslaughter charge while others should not. People who accidentally kill others than their child are surely wracked with guilt as well.

What exactly would be gained from punishing them? Do they need rehabilitation so they don't do this thing they never meant to do in the first place again? Would punishment act as a deterrent to other parents and stop them from doing this thing that none of them mean to do in the first place?

Honestly I might prefer jail or death if I accidentally killed my child. Not sure what punishment people here are expecting to be levied against this woman (or any parent that does this) that would change things or somehow alleviate the gravity of her actions.

I legit don't think I could live with myself. It's honestly something I can't even bear to imagine. If it was a true accident then losing your child is punishment enough I think.

arigato

Or people could not have kids if they're not going to be responsible for them.
Forced vasectomies sound like a good idea as such idiots won't listen to any sound reason and just needlessly cause plenty of easily preventable suffering plus deaths.

Reading that article posted around the thread made me think the same.

Some of those parents couldn't live with themselves to the point of trying to end their life. One case, immediately after they found out what they did, tried to wrestle a gun from a police officer.

I can't fully imagine that kind of guilt, but even thinking about it makes my body feel ill.

p2535748

Some do. A friend walks around his car three times (not because of kids but because he's a bit ocd).

I have little mirror which shows me the kids seat in the back. Not because of maybe forgetting her but to not having to turn my head while driving to check on her.

Like this:

To be clear, though, those things don't help when the kid is turned around the other way, unless you have the secondary mirror in the back seat, which in my car have an annoying habit of falling off all of the damn time. So, most of the time I look in the back seat and just see my daughter and the back side of my son's seat.

I very rarely drive my kids to daycare, and on days that I do I'm super paranoid. Not because I'm a great parent, but because I've read articles about how easy it can be to forget about them.

In general, I like to think I'm careful with my kids, but the truth is there are things I've gotten away with. I think every parent's like that, you forget once to strap them into the changing table, you leave them on a chair/couch/bed for a second, you forget they can reach the counter and leave something up there for them to grab, you forget to lock the cabinet under the sink, ...

When I was a kid, my mom took my siblings to church and then left me with my dad. My dad got distracted by something outside, and I wandered off down our (long) driveway, across the road, up through a nearby cemetery and onto another road where I was picked up by a good Samaritan. Was this incredibly dumb of my dad? Of course, but he wasn't a stupid man, and he wasn't a negligent parent, he just screwed up.

When my oldest kid was born, I had recurring nightmares for 6-7 months about accidentally hurting her. It was horrifying, it made it hard to sleep during those few hours I actually had time for sleep, it ruined my mood all the time, it made it harder to play with and connect with her. I can't imagine the horror any parent who loses a kid goes through, and to add on to that the knowledge that it's your fault would be, I think, too much for me.

Forced vasectomies sound like a good idea as such idiots won't listen to any sound reason and just needlessly cause plenty of easily preventable suffering plus deaths.

Oh good, we've reached the forced sterilization portion of the argument.

slit

You'd have to more specific as to what you mean by that. There are things that the justice system doesn't take into consideration when they should. That doesn't mean the trend should continue.

GTI Guy

Some do. A friend walks around his car three times (not because of kids but because he's a bit ocd).

I have little mirror which shows me the kids seat in the back. Not because of maybe forgetting her but to not having to turn my head while driving to check on her.

Like this:

You got a link for where you bought that?

kIdMuScLe

To those who says that no one should leave their kids in the car do you also think that parents should be blamed for babies who die of SIDS? Like moms who are breastfeeding late at night but dozed off for a few minutes and accidentally suffocated the baby... or to those who accidentally fell asleep while holding their babies in their arms. Would you call it a accident? I mean you have the baby there in your arms and yet SIDS is consider a mostly accidental death. To me SIDS and forgotten baby syndrome are the same. Accidental death. Especially in this era of ours where we are working more and vacationing less or having less time off. Our brains are tired and more prone to making mistakes

Gotchaye

I think it's pretty telling that in basically every real-life situation where we're trying to make sure that people never, ever screw up, the approach we take is not "don't be irresponsible" but is instead "here is a checklist and you must rigorously adhere to it even if you're sure it'll be okay, or else you're going to get court-martialed".

Otherwise this is just the responsible gun owner problem. If the message you send people is that only irresponsible gun owners end up having a family member get shot, then people who think of themselves as responsible gun owners don't worry about it.

Top Bottom