• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical games all the way

Physical or Digital

• Total voters

dcx4610

Stop pushing info that was proven false numerous times in the same thread.
Physical games from the 360/PS3 and before? Absolutely.

Modern games? Pointless outside if you are bargain hunting, like to sell or trade. The games don't play from the disc and the discs themselves are just digital unlock/license keys. It's a fight against reality unfortunately.

I'm a physical media guy when it comes to movies but I just can't see logic for games outside of the above or if you just want a shelf of games to look pretty. Unlike movies, the game is the exact same game on the disc vs. the digital. The only difference is the distribution method. It's download it or have someone else "download" it for you and put it on the disc to install from vs. over a network.

Believe me, I HATE the digital future but I also no that there is no fighting it and have to throw my hands up when I'm beaten.

Modern games? Pointless outside if you are bargain hunting, like to sell or trade. The games don't play from the disc and the discs themselves are just digital unlock/license keys. It's a fight against reality unfortunately.

I'm a physical media guy when it comes to movies but I just can't see logic for games outside of the above or if you just want a shelf of games to look pretty. Unlike movies, the game is the exact same game on the disc vs. the digital. The only difference is the distribution method. It's download it or have someone else "download" it for you and put it on the disc to install from vs. over a network.

Believe me, I HATE the digital future but I also no that there is no fighting it and have to throw my hands up when I'm beaten.
I don't want to waste my time but the bold marked one is complete bullshit.

Yep, you read that argument all the time and it has already been refuted, even here in this thread.
I always ask myself where such statements come from, it can have little to do with own experience.
People have preconceived notions about the state of physical games due to all the viral news that's been going on in the past few years, like for example the notorious Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Disc being just 70 MB requiring 100 GB Install or the Star Wars: Jedi Survivor PS5 disc version requiring mandatory 100GB of download. Best course of action is to try to educate them by pointing to available resources like https://www.doesitplay.org/. They even added a cool little widget in the bottom right of the page with all the relevant statistics (i.e. download required and offline play).

image.png
image.png

Last edited:
People have preconceived notions about the state of physical games due to all the viral news that's been going on in the past few years like the the notorious Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Disc being just 70 MB requiring 100 GB Install or the Star Wars: Jedi Survivor PS5 disc version requiring mandatory 100GB of download. Best is to try to educate them by pointing them to available resources like https://www.doesitplay.org/. They even added a cool little widget in the bottom right of the page with all the relevant statics like download required and offline play.
Doesitplay link should be pinned. The same bullshit/Arguments🤣😂🤦🏻over and over again.

dcx4610

I don't want to waste my time but the bold marked one is complete bullshit.
Noticed that I said everything from 360/PS3 before. Those games played from disc. If you have the disc, you insert it, you play the game. No internet required, no downloads, no activation, etc.

Now? Most games will require a patch to play or an internet connection. It then downloads the full build of the game. Your disc acts as verification that you own the digital copy that you downloaded. Yes, some games do have the games on the disc but none of them actually play from the disc. You are playing a digital copy of the game. Thus, it's a license key.

Puscifer

Bro what lmfao. I can play any PS5 game after installing to the drive, I don't download anything and haven't since Ragnarok because I refuse to pay for online. Where does this asinine idea come from that outside of the Call of Duty, that the games you buy don't have the game on the disc?

Noticed that I said everything from 360/PS3 before. Those games played from disc. If you have the disc, you insert it, you play the game. No internet required, no downloads, no activation, etc.

Now? Most games will require a patch to play or an internet connection. It then downloads the full build of the game. Your disc acts as verification that you own the digital copy that you downloaded. Yes, some games do have the games on the disc but none of them actually play from the disc. You are playing a digital copy of the game. Thus, it's a license key.
These are full blown lies for any game that isn't COD.

Last edited:

Nobody wants that a game will be played from a disc genius.

I tell you why It's because the data streaming/loading is way too slow. That's why the games are installed on a nvme drive.

Most games require a patch to play or an internet connection??😂🤣🤦🏻

angrod14

Well, it seems that the price of digital game being higher than physical games is a permanent feature here in Canada. Newly released games on PSN are now $93.49 instead of the usual $89.99. Retail discs are still the lower price.
Why not just create a US account and buy the games with PSN cards? You can get them on Amazon. I had to do that for more than a decade since my country didn't have official PSN support until recently. There are sales pretty much every week.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I remember falling through the maps in GTA IV, Mercenaries 2 and Mafia 2 on the 360 (fat model, first one with HDMI) because the disc drive couldn't handle all the data and didn't load the necessary geometry.
One mission in Mafia 2 was game breaking, because it happened during a cutscene.
At some point later that generation we were allowed to finally install some data on the console to solve this problem.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Brotato is getting a physical relase on Switch/PS4.

Thanks for letting us know!

Ordered the PS5 Deluxe Edition from RedArtGames for €36,49 right now.

Here's what is included in our Deluxe Edition:

The full game with an exclusive sleeve
A double-sided poster with additional art!
A one-of-a-kind stress reliever shaped like a potato!

500 copies only for this one, be quick ;)

Last edited:
Yes, they are in France.
The Deluxe Edition is the same price as the normal one - €29.99, so shipping to Germany is €6,50.
I recently ordered a Vita game at RedArtGames for the first time and all went well.
gZiX8lQ.jpg
Thanks! Usually mom & pop game shops stock red art games, but they haven't with Brotato so I think I'll order the deluxe straight from them in that case.

Kupfer

Just noticed that both PS5 and Switch versions of Lost Ruins are available for pre-order on Amazon or directly from Red Art Games. Check the 🍈 thread for a few short snippets of gameplay.

81ObRtt6HTL._SL1500_.jpg
71osh0dCVeL._SL1500_.jpg

If not known already, check LimitedGameNews from time to time to not miss any releases.

Lost Ruins had an article in september 2023.

Brotato on the other hand was mentioned in october 2023, but only the Switch version, so I ignored it.

But I'm happy RAG decided to release a Playstation version as well - and by the looks of the upload date of the youtube video, they dropped it just yesterday.

Last edited:
If not known already, check LimitedGameNews from time to time to not miss any releases.

Lost Ruins had an article in september 2023.

Brotato on the other hand was mentioned in october 2023, but only the Switch versio, so I ignored it.

But I'm happy RAG decided to release a Playstation version as well - and by the looks of the upload date of the youtube video, they dropped it just yesterday.

Thanks for the link. I usually get my news on upcoming physical releases on Twitter/X (LRG, iam8bit, fangamer, PlayAsia, etc.) or from NSCollectors subreddit, but I occasionally miss on some of these more niche game releases.

In any case, I usually make threads for notable physical releases, but maybe it would be cool to have a 'mega-thread' like this one, but with the focus being on niche games receiving physical release, and maybe we can also use it to highlight physical games before they become hard to find (this mostly applies to smaller VNs and/or JRPGs since publishers are usually doing a single physical print for them).

I'll think about it some more and probably make an 'OT' for it when I have some free time, maybe this weekend.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Was the psychonaughts 2 Xbox Series release a limited one?

I bought it as I wanted it to go along with my og Xbox release of the first game.

Never opened it though as I ended up buying it digital for like £17 a while back?

Wonder if some releases like that on Xbox might be worth something at a later date due to Xbox’s physical release situation and them preferring digital.

Think klonoa might be the same eventually which I also have.

Probably very few if any will be interested in this news, but apparently Tower of Mid, I mean Tower of Fantasy will receive a physical release on PS5. Info was posted today on the official PlayStation blog.

Physical copy information

Finally, we have some more news to share with you! Tower of Fantasy is set to release a physical copy, including the following in-game items:

For specific release details, please stay tuned for official announcements.

IMG-4322.jpg

Just picked up Tekken 8. Price is $5 less than digital. I was given some sort of code to redeem. It turned out to be a “Paul phoenix avatar”, whatever use that is.

Hopefully this game keeps me hooked for longer than Street Fighter. At least I was able to sell that off for nearly what I paid thanks to it being on disc.

The PS5 cover is a belated Christmas gift. I would not spend that money on myself, so I suggested it as a gift.

Last edited:

eats

Distribution and production costs for physical games take tons of revenue from game developers.

Buying Granblue Fatansy today, the release day, and there was only one copy available. The other shop infrequent had none. It’s no wonder people buy digital. If I hadn’t got lucky to get this copy, my only option would be Amazon delivering Monday.

A similar situation with Prince of Persia. I literally bought the display copy because there were none in my town to buy.

Last edited:
PlayAsia is running a 3 games for $100 sale till the middle of the month I think so if you're planning on getting some imports from them this would be a good time to do that.

You can also grab another $5 off with your favorite creator’s 5% off code (e.g. WARIO2024)

a_810994.jpg

Putting some user tags here so you guys don't miss out jshackles jshackles StereoVsn StereoVsn

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
PlayAsia is running a 3 games for $100 sale till the middle of the month I think so if you're planning on getting some imports from them this would be a good time to do that.

You can also grab another $5 off with your favorite creator’s 5% off code (e.g. WARIO2024)

a_810994.jpg

Putting some user tags here so you guys don't miss out jshackles jshackles StereoVsn StereoVsn

I looked through their list this morning, but didn't see anything I couldn't live without. Some of the stuff I wanted was normally $35 anyway, aka not a huge discount for bundling. ALMOST tempted to pick up the Japanese version of Trails of Cold Steel on the Switch, but then realized it's only in Chinese and Korean for some strange reason.

Thanks for the heads up though!

Is it multiplayer only and do you need PS+ to play it?
Wanted to buy DayZ and Hell let Loose several times to just have them, but since they are multiplayer and require a subscription I noped out every time.
That’s precisely what the white text box says: requires online and PlayStation plus subscription to play.

Is it multiplayer only and do you need PS+ to play it?
Wanted to buy DayZ and Hell let Loose several times to just have them, but since they are multiplayer and require a subscription I noped out every time.
Yep to both questions. It's an always online co-op PvE third person extraction shooter where you spread democracy by fighting alien bugs and robots (can also be played solo but it's way harder). It's fun but the servers are mostly full so it's kinda hard to play it during peak European and North American hours.

Kupfer

Yep to both questions. It's an always online co-op PvE third person extraction shooter where you spread democracy by fighting alien bugs and robots (can also be played solo but it's way harder). It's fun but the servers are mostly full so it's kinda hard to play it during peak European and North American hours.
Some friends are already trying to persuade me to play it, but since my PS Plus expires in 4 months and I won't be renewing it, I'll have to pass.
My PC probably won't be able to handle the game. Too bad, looks like fun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just saw this linked on a reddit post about Nintendo's latest financial results.

96120_15_nintendo-champions-physical-game-sales-in-latest-results_full.png

Of that amount, 55% or $1.122 billion was from physical game sales. The remaining 45%, or $914 million, was from digital--bear in mind that digital includes all forms of revenues from the medium, including in-game purchases, full game sales, and subscription monetization from Switch Online.

96120_16_nintendo-champions-physical-game-sales-in-latest-results_full.png

We can cut even more closely at this mix. Nintendo reveals that about $446 million of the total digital revenues were made from content that is only available through digital channels--Switch Online, microtransactions, etc.

This further highlights just how much more popular physical games are than digital games for the Nintendo Switch platform, which incidentally has become the top-selling console family of all time.

Physical games on Nintendo systems are here to stay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom