• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical games all the way

Physical or Digital

• Total voters

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Got a Series X last week and started picking up some Xbox One and 360 BC titles. I was quite surprised how cheap they were (spent around €40 on these 9 used Xbox games).

20231216_160237.jpg

That's a pretty good haul.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol YT just recommended me this and it's a PERFECT visualization of the fuckery on psn backend.
Even though this is a special case, this is the general feel I had when I used premium before refunding it few weeks ago.
I got premium on sale and got reminded why i couldn't wait for it to be over last year. Nesting, confusion, cloud saves mixing, what games do I own and what are in sub, which games are on disc, which from ps+ or digitally owned.
Games will say they are purchased even if they are not. It's a mess of nesting UI and You can feel the backend engineers crying at sony headquarters.
They clearly cannot make it right beacuse they have to support decade of psn purchases.

She bought the DLC on wrong account and it doesn't work on her main account but she can't purchased it on her main game because it already says it is purchased....
Imagine just putting the disc in :messenger_loudly_crying:

And since I am shitting on ps5 ui, it's also annoying AF I can't quicker filter out demos from my games list and that library doesn't remember "source = store" and I have to change it every time I go to library.
All of that as opposed to just inserting the disc.

Griffon

On PC I've been team fake for decades.

I can still play digital games I bought back in the mid/late 00s on my current computer. Can't say as much for consoles.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Got a Series X last week and started picking up some Xbox One and 360 BC titles. I was quite surprised how cheap they were (spent around €40 on these 9 used Xbox games).

20231216_160237.jpg

I've also finally received some of the Switch pre-orders I've placed a while ago, including the European release of World of Horror ( Kupfer Kupfer :messenger_sunglasses:). Oh and snagged a physical copy of Journey for my collection, too (paid €20 for it)!

2023-12-16_16_07_39.png

Nice ones! Didn't even know there's a physical version of ThatGameCompanys' best three games! Now I need it too ...
I just noticed - they totally missed the opportunity to name "Journey" "Flowest" ...

Flow
Flower
Flowest

Last edited:
Nice ones! Didn't even know there's a physical version of ThatGameCompanys' best three games! Now I need it too ...
I just noticed - they totally missed the opportunity to name "Journey" "Flowest" ...

Flow
Flower
Flowest
Flower and Journey are some of the best gaming experiences I've had on my brother's PS4, and tbh I was quite lucky to come across a copy of this collection "chilling" in the used section of a local game store I visit from time to time.

You'll def have to add it to your collection if you're a fan of ThatGameCompany's games! :D

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For which games you guys are making exceptions and get games digitally, like from psn?
If the game is 5$ on psn, do you get it despite already owning it?
Or do you get 5$ psn game and then later get physical if you still want it ?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
For which games you guys are making exceptions and get games digitally, like from psn?

If I love the game? I may double dip, but it would be on a different platform if I did. For example, I bought Dishonored physically on PS4. But then I also bought it digitally on Steam so I can play it on my Steam Deck during trips. But if a physical copy exists, I will always prioritizing buying that first. If I don't love the game, I have more freedom in using it as trade fodder, selling it outright, or even returning it entirely depending on the store policies.

Kupfer

I get a game from PlayStation store only if there is no physical edition and I really really want to play it. I don't have the feeling of a digital purchase is worth anything.
This also concerns indies only. I'm not supporting Alan Wake II for example, they could easily offer a physical version of the game but decided money is more important than customer satisfaction.
Gris, both FAR games or The last campfire are two examples I bought from the store. Cocoon and Jusant could be also games I have to buy this way in the future.
I'm even willing to pay double the price for games like these when they come physical.
For me, the PlayStation store is the very last option if there's no other way and only if I have the feeling that with my purchase I'm supporting a developer who has put their heart and soul into their project and not just flushing more money into the pockets of a multi-million dollar company.

Edit:
Phantom Liberty made me weak.
At the time of release we didn't know that CDPR was also releasing a PS5 physical version, but it turns out that PL isn't included on the disc either, only as a code.
For collectors, or for me at least, this version is therefore worthless. If CP2077 2.0 incl. Phantom Liberty had been on the disc, I would have even bought it a third time.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If I love the game? I may double dip, but it would be on a different platform if I did. For example, I bought Dishonored physically on PS4. But then I also bought it digitally on Steam so I can play it on my Steam Deck during trips. But if a physical copy exists, I will always prioritizing buying that first. If I don't love the game, I have more freedom in using it as trade fodder, selling it outright, or even returning it entirely depending on the store policies.
I get a game from PlayStation store only if there is no physical edition and I really really want to play it. I don't have the feeling of a digital purchase is worth anything. This also concerns indies only. I'm not supporting Alan Wake II for example, they could easily offer a physical version of the game but decided money is more important than customer satisfaction.
Gris, both FAR games or The last campfire are two examples I bought from the store. Cocoon and Jusant could be also games I have to buy this way in the future.
I'm even willing to pay double the price for games like these when they come physical.
For me, the PlayStation store is the very last option if there's no other way and only if I have the feeling that with my purchase I'm supporting a developer who has put their heart and soul into their project and not just flushing more money into the pockets of a multi-million dollar company.

Edit:
Phantom Liberty made me weak.
At the time of release we didn't know that CDPR was also releasing a PS5 physical version, but it turns out that PL isn't included on the disc either, only as a code. For collectors, or for meat least, this version is therefore worthless. If CP2077 2.0 incl. Phantom Liberty had been on the disc, I would have even bought it a third time.
I see. thanks for takes.
Yeah, indies with no physical release or non-feasible limited run (expensive) release are understandable.

I have this fear about missing out and sometimes when I see a game on deep discount on PSN, that I already own on a disc.... like for example bloodborne, I might cave in and buy it.
That's because I am afraid ps6,7,8,9 will not have BC/disc drives and that game will no longer be sold and I will be missing out.
Which is a hole I am digging for myself and probably not a good thing to think this far forward. But that said - I still have 95% of games on ps5/ps4 physical and maybe like 5% doubled on psn.
edit: for exampl.. yeah I have Forspoken added to wishlist for the time it will be 90% off.... and that's just wasting money since I have the game on disc.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

A good video from IGN that’s about the death of physical media in the movie industry. Might be interesting for some people in this thread:

This has some parallels, but the truth is that games are ascendant while movies, as a format, are on a slow, steady decline as an art form. The changing demand for movie formats is an indicator that people don't care as much about film, period, whereas with games it's entirely about convenience.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are there any stats that are not total bullshit?
Like... .without mobile, pc and games that do not have physical release... like all the indie and shovelware crap on psn... and without digital codes in playstation bundles. And wihout sub services and ps+

I want to know pre-orders + day1/week1 digital vs physical for ps5 only games that have both releases.
How much are NEW releases selling. The important only metric.
You can't say that 96% of all games are sold digitally because 95% of those games don't have a physical counterpart. It's a bad statistic.

I refuse to believe FF16 and God of war Ragnarok sold more on digital(at least on release before digital sales).
Physical is cheaper on release and has tons of goodies like maps and stuff. I tend to believe people buy these big releases more on disc.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Are there any stats that are not total bullshit?
Like... .without mobile, pc and games that do not have physical release... like all the indie and shovelware crap on psn... and without digital codes in playstation bundles. And wihout sub services and ps+

I want to know pre-orders + day1/week1 digital vs physical for ps5 only games that have both releases.
How much are NEW releases selling. The important only metric.
You can't say that 96% of all games are sold digitally because 95% of those games don't have a physical counterpart. It's a bad statistic.

I refuse to believe FF16 and God of war Ragnarok sold more on digital(at least on release before digital sales).
Physical is cheaper on release and has tons of goodies like maps and stuff. I tend to believe people buy these big releases more on disc.
Not that I know of.
My guess: those who have the total figures are interested in driving the digital future forward, as this can generate more margin.
Accordingly, depending on the source, you constantly read that only 5% -10% of games are still sold physical, but as you write, this is simply a falsified statement, as it is calculated with the complete turnover and not game A digital to game A physical, game B digital to game B physical.
The idea is to create the impression that physical is dead and no longer desirable, and if you read some of the comments here and on other platforms, the tactic seems to be working.
Many gamers have already been programmed to believe that the digital future is desirable and that physical media is a thing of the past - which is not true; yet.
But the big players want it to be true so they work on it.

I don't buy anything digitally on PSN, but I did get My Time at Sandrock digitally on Xbox. Cheaper that way. Xbox just has a better system for getting digital games, like a much better refund policy.

StereoVsn

On PC I've been team fake for decades.

I can still play digital games I bought back in the mid/late 00s on my current computer. Can't say as much for consoles.
That’s comparing apples with pomegranates. They may both be red, but have little else in common.

PC market is different. GoG and good chunk of Steam games are DRM free. You can buy keys on many different stores so there is competition.

Even games with DRM as long as it’s not Denuvo (and some Denuvo games) can be cracked. There is a lot less overall dependency on the Platform/Store owner.

I do like older PC game physical editions with cool boxes, manual, maps, etc.. though they take up a ton of space, lol.

Yep, right now it’s still a decent time to grab Xbox OG (remember, XSX can play a number of these as well), and X360 titles. They haven’t gone up in price as much vs other contemporary consoles (GameCube…).
Haha the timing of your reply is funny, cuz I was literally writing to a dude on FB marketplace about some Xbox 360 titles I'm interesting in getting from him (Binary Domain, Driver San Francisco and Lost Odyssey). Hopefully he still has them cuz the price is €15 for all 3 (free shipping included). These 3 xbox titles will also probably be the last game related purchase I make for the year (still waiting for some imports to arrive sometime this week, but those were already paid for). :D

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Haha the timing of your reply is funny, cuz I was literally writing to a dude on FB marketplace about some Xbox 360 titles I'm interesting in getting from him (Binary Domain, Driver San Francisco and Lost Odyssey). Hopefully he still has them cuz the price is €15 for all 3 (free shipping included). These 3 xbox titles will also probably be the last game related purchase I make for the year (still waiting for some imports to arrive sometime this week, but those were already paid for). :D

FB Market place is probably the best source to get old games for cheap lol.

I've bought my share of old(er) games from mom's who are clearing out their sons rooms and have no idea about the actual worth of the games and just say "$1 per game".

Last edited:
FB Market place is probably the best source to get old games for cheap lol.

I've bought my share of old(er) games from mom's who are clearing out their sons rooms and have no idea about the actual worth of the games and just say "$1 per game".
Damn, I haven't been that lucky so far when buying used games as I usually prefer not to deal with randos on FB marketplace (and especially with those on the equivalent of craigslist around here). My go to places are either pawnshops that stock games and consoles or game shops that resell used games.

In any case, some of the prices on the listings I've found on FB marketplace are just too good to pass up on so I occasionally do exceptions if there's something I really want to play or have in my collection.

Dis

That's because I am afraid ps6,7,8,9 will not have BC/disc drives

Iirc PS4 emulator just ran its first commercial game. When PS4 emulator is where PS3 emu is at. It might be the case that it will run PS5 games aswel since they both share the same architecture if im not mistaken.

Emulators are really more then viable these days. Switch games are playable at 4K resolution depending on your system. And 2 months ago i finished MGS2 HD on a PS3 emulator with more resolution then the $60 PS5 remaster. (And my pc aint shit) (i7 4790k)

The fact that Mario Wonder was the best selling mario ever is wild to me.. since the entire thing was all over reddit playable on an emulator capable of more resolution then switch itself. Before it came out..

Epsxe has a graphics plugin of some sorts thats wild. Flawless 4K PSX games. Snes9x has the same thing too where snes games are playable at 4K looking flawless. Same with PSP btw.

DrEoVBm.jpg

Sleepwalker

Stopped by Gamestop at the mall and picked up

NBA2k24 (I only buy nba games every 3 or 4 years) $30
Star Ocean Second Story R $50
Kingdom Hearts 3 PS4 $7

Sadly they went under the xmas tree! lol

BlackTron

The fact that Mario Wonder was the best selling mario ever is wild to me.. since the entire thing was all over reddit playable on an emulator capable of more resolution then switch itself. Before it came out..

Same deal with Zelda. But this is also proof that being a good game sells itself, focus on that and don't ruin the real game with DRM

Reactions: Dis

Hudo

So...is this fucking real, or what?

1702861335379887.png

Edit: It is real. But it's apparently old news. Still hilarious. Have they ever tried to actively enforce this?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Would've wondered how they'd do it because it seems not feasible. Thanks for the clarification, tho.
It should be possible if they add console-based or account-based verification on the discs.

I remember BF3 effectively did this by adding a serial key to the disc that could only be activated once. It was strictly for online mode but thats basically what people bought the game for.

Hudo

I remember BF3 effectively did this by adding a serial key to the disc that could only be activated once. It was strictly for online mode but thats basically what people bought the game for.
Wow. Ok. That's of course one way to do it. And yeah, maybe it's more accepted with online-focused games.

StereoVsn

if comparing two fruits is difficult for you, you have bigger problems
Yes, because that was the whole point was all about. The way to refute a reasonable argument is clearly by going on a completely dumb tangent.

And yes, comparing different fruit is dumb hence the saying “Comparing Apples to Oranges”, but I suppose that’s too much for your mental facilities.

Eiknarf

Banned
This video about it being illegal to sell your PS5 games was just posted yesterday

Last edited:
Wow. Ok. That's of course one way to do it. And yeah, maybe it's more accepted with online-focused games.
Those online passes were the biggest fuck you to the consumer and there was massive pushback on that greedy publisher practice.

Considering how things are going though, it's far more likely that an all digital future will come to pass to console before bullshit DRM like that returns to physical media.

Anyway, there's really no point in worrying at the moment since: 1) that specific ToS passage is 10 years old; 2) It has never been actively enforced here in Europe on users or businesses (e.g. CeX, Game, Gamestop all sell pre-owned games) 3) Online Passes have not been a thing since 2013 when the PS4/One gen launched.

Last edited:
Those online passes were the biggest fuck you to the consumer and there was massive pushback on that greedy publisher practice
I remember those days. I would actually prefer that sort of implementation rather than the current subscription model. Paying an extra $10-20 to enable online for the one or two games a year that I might actually take online is far better than the current $95 Sony demands for basic online functionality.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So yeah.... "physical is dying, physical is weak" was bs all along.
It's doing great for sony single player games.
it's not 2% or 20% or whatever shitty numbers we've seen.

Physical accounts for MAJORITY of sales on sony games.
According to leaked sales date for 2020 digital was 38:, 2021 was 36% and 2022 was 24% up to half of the year.

Exactly as I was expecting and thinking all along. For new releases, people prefer to have their big new game on disc. With goodies and usually cheaper!

Gambit2483

So yeah.... "physical is dying, physical is weak" was bs all along.
It's doing great for sony single player games.
it's not 2% or 20% or whatever shitty numbers we've seen.

Physical accounts for MAJORITY of sales on sony games.
According to leaked sales date for 2020 digital was 38:, 2021 was 36% and 2022 was 24% up to half of the year.

Exactly as I was expecting and thinking all along. For new releases, people prefer to have their big new game on disc. With goodies and usually cheaper!
Hopefully more people will understand how truly limiting digital is on consoles. You run the risk of losing the game forever and you will almost always end up paying more digitally (not counting steam). 7 seconds of convenience is just not worth it

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
you will almost always end up paying more digitally (not counting steam)
I see Steam tossed around a lot in this thread, but most of the time games on Steam are only cheaper than physical (console versions of the same game) if the game is either on a hefty sale discount on Steam, or purchased through a third party key site on a hefty sale or discount.

For example, the game Daemon x Machina is a Switch exclusive that got a PC release and it's on Steam. It's normally $60 digitally on both Steam and the eShop. Steam had it down to $20 during their holiday sale, and the lowest it's ever been in the eShop is $41.99. (it was also given away for free on Epic one week, but yeah...) The physical copy has been as low as $30 new, and I've seen it at used places for $20 a few times.

So Steam is only really cheaper by $0-$10, depending on some very specific conditions. If you're not shopping the sales, it's all a wash anyway.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I see Steam tossed around a lot in this thread, but most of the time games on Steam are only cheaper than physical (console versions of the same game) if the game is either on a hefty sale discount on Steam, or purchased through a third party key site on a hefty sale or discount.

For example, the game Daemon x Machina is a Switch exclusive that got a PC release and it's on Steam. It's normally $60 digitally on both Steam and the eShop. Steam had it down to $20 during their holiday sale, and the lowest it's ever been in the eShop is $41.99. (it was also given away for free on Epic one week, but yeah...) The physical copy has been as low as $30 new, and I've seen it at used places for $20 a few times.

So Steam is only really cheaper by $0-$10, depending on some very specific conditions. If you're not shopping the sales, it's all a wash anyway.
Yeah for me steam is exclusively cdkeys com.

Top Bottom