• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical games all the way

Physical or Digital

• Total voters

Flutta

Banned
You all will be sorry when it's all digital and they start passing laws regarding video games and locking them up and away from you.

It's just like banks today locking up people's assets and unable to withdraw their own cash. Or like Disney editing original cartoons because of new woke agendas.

It’s like talking to an NPC. They trust these companies more than their own intellect. Either way when the day comes they will be back here crying like no one ever warned them. 🤷‍♂️

These companies love the NPC mindset, wonder why 😅

Flutta

Banned
What's the issue exactly? When I used to buy physical many years ago, by the time I sold off the games they were worthless, $1 at gamestop or $3 at a garage sale or an extra $50 total with the machine when the machine was sold. Give them to people who don't want them? Who cares.

I didn't pay any more for the digital games than your physical, in fact I likely paid a lot less since many were very on sale at the time of purchase. Games I can't do anything with? I can still play them, your being silly. I also still have access and use to almost every game I have purchased.

Just because something affects you negatively doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. And I don't brag to anyone about how many games I have.

If you can’t see the issue then i don’t know what to tell you. All i see is a bunch of excuses.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

What's the issue exactly? When I used to buy physical many years ago, by the time I sold off the games they were worthless, $1 at gamestop or $3 at a garage sale or an extra $50 total with the machine when the machine was sold. Give them to people who don't want them? Who cares.

I didn't pay any more for the digital games than your physical, in fact I likely paid a lot less since many were very on sale at the time of purchase. Games I can't do anything with? I can still play them, your being silly. I also still have access and use to almost every game I have purchased.

Just because something affects you negatively doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. And I don't brag to anyone about how many games I have.
Well, the trade-in value for a physical game at Gamestop is like $3 because they have to re-sell it for $15-$20

But if you listed and sold that physical game on eBay, you'd get the $15-$20

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If you can’t see the issue then i don’t know what to tell you. All i see is a bunch of excuses.

You want me to make up some sort of issue that doesn't exist for me? All I see is a dillusional request.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well, the trade-in value for a physical game at Gamestop is like $3 because they have to re-sell it for $15-$20

But if you listed and sold that physical game on eBay, you'd get the $15-$20

I said $1 (or none in some cases), not $3. Basically by the time I was ready to get rid of it, no little to no value.

Sorry this doesn't fit your narrative. Many people don't resell games, just because you want to doesn't mean everyone else needs to.

Eiknarf

I said $1 (or none in some cases), not $3. Basically by the time I was ready to get rid of it, no little to no value.

Sorry this doesn't fit your narrative. Many people don't resell games, just because you want to doesn't mean everyone else needs to.
WTF “narrative” are you talking about, kid?!?!

This isn’t politics!! I sell PHYSICAL games if I don’t like em. And I know right away when I don’t like em so they don’t depreciate in value. So even if I did bring em back to GameStop, I’d get a full refund (within seven days).

If you’re selling older media, of course GameStop will only give you $1 to $3.
That’s why I sell on eBay

Tell me what narrative YOU think I have.

I’ll fuckin wait

Guilty_AI

This isn’t politics!! I sell PHYSICAL games if I don’t like em. And I know right away when I don’t like em so they don’t depreciate in value. So even if I did bring em back to GameStop, I’d get a full refund (within seven days).
You can get a full refund on GOG within 30 days, 14 days on steam if you haven't played for more than 2 hours.

Go_Ly_Dow

If you sell a popular game within about a month of release you'll get a good return. This makes sense for games that are 100% one and done kinda games.

I paid £55 for Ragnarock, completed it in about 3 weeks and sold it for £40. So £15 net cost to complete it. (although still £15 too much considering I didn't enjoy it!)

Last edited:

Duchess

I must admit, this gen I've been buying more digital games. But these are when they are on sale, for ~£10 each.

The bigger titles, I'm still buying physically.

Guilty_AI

The content may be digital, but the game disc certainly isn't.
Well, neither are the HDDs or SDDs storing digital games.

Discs aren't really saving you from anything, companies have as much power over a physical copy as a digital one. Whatever degree of control you may have over your discs is the control they choose to give you, much like with their digital version.

If next week Sony launches an wide OS update that forces game id's to be checked against a server or a PSN user, any illusion of ownership you may have had for you physical PS games go *poof*.

Last edited:

Phase

The content may be digital, but the game disc certainly isn't.
Unfortunately, they're taking away that option since they have the power to, by making game disks with only a code and certification instead of the game files stored on them as they used to be.

Sure, mass-produced sports and racing games on PS4 are going to be worthless trade-ins with low returns. Luckily, I don't buy or play those kinds of games. The titles I tend to buy physically are Switch RPGs and first party games that hold or exceed their original value. I have shelves full of the stuff. Those games also tend to have small or no download patches as well.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Discs aren't really saving you from anything, companies have as much power over a physical copy as a digital one. Whatever degree of control you may have over your discs is the control they choose to give you, much like with their digital version.

If next week Sony launches an wide OS update that forces game id's to be checked against a server or a PSN user, any illusion of ownership you may have had for you physical PS games go *poof*.
Yeah anything can happen but you can not upgrade. But it would suck

Kupfer

Assuming this highly unlikely scenario were to occur, which is not entirely implausible, it would be easy to take the console offline and play the entire game collection one has on the shelf offline.

Reactions: Dis

Guilty_AI

Assuming this highly unlikely scenario were to occur, which is not entirely implausible, it would be easy to take the console offline and play the entire game collection one has on the shelf offline.
Assuming you'd be aware of it beforehand 🤷‍♂️. It'd be so easy to just turn on the console and happily let it update with no one knowing what it is doing until long after its too late.

Don't forget, you may 'own' the discs but you don't own the device you play them on.

Kupfer

Assuming you'd be aware of it beforehand 🤷‍♂️. It'd be so easy to just turn on the console and happily let it update with no one knowing what it is doing until long after its too late.
Everybody should have a backup console just in case /s I have
Don't forget, you may 'own' the discs but you don't own the device you play them on.
Not sure about that. To my understanding I own the hardware but not the software.
I am quite certain that this is precisely regulated in some EU or national laws. However, since we are an international forum, and I am not familiar with the legal frameworks in other countries, I'll refrain from searching for relevant passages, as they are likely irrelevant for the majority here.
AFAIK it should be prohibited to tinker with the manufacturer's firm- or software since one does not possess the required licenses, and manufacturers naturally disapprove if this tinkering leads to the circumvention of security mechanisms.
However, unlike the software, the hardware, upon purchase, not only comes into my possession but also becomes my absolute ownership.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Not sure about that. To my understanding I own the hardware but not the software.
I am quite certain that this is precisely regulated in some EU or national laws. However, since we are an international forum, and I am not familiar with the legal frameworks in other countries, I'll refrain from searching for relevant passages, as they are likely irrelevant for the majority here.
AFAIK it should be prohibited to tinker with the manufacturer's firm- or software since one does not possess the required licenses, and manufacturers naturally disapprove if this tinkering leads to the circumvention of security mechanisms.
However, unlike the software, the hardware, upon purchase, not only comes into my possession but also becomes my absolute ownership.
The point is that hardware is wholly dependent on the console's OS to work, this isn't the ps2 days where that software was just a thin basic layer meant to get the discs working.
There's no meaning in owning the hardware if the software it needs to run games in the first place is under control of the console manufacturer.

And sure, you can spend money to have a backup console. You can hack your console too, and one can backup their digital library to play them in said hacked console or future emulators, or just their PC is they're digital PC games.
There's no shortage of workarounds for this kind of thing. But you'll notice that with these solutions, physical or digital matter very little.

thatJohann

I remember the good old days getting physical copies of Sega Genesis games, smelling the instruction booklet and reading every line of it, admiring the box art, flipping the box back and forth to see the screenshots on the back of the box, getting home and putting the box in the shelf, snapping the cartridge out of the box and inserting it on the Genesis. It was a good era where physical was the only option.

Nowadays, that pleasure doesn't exist anymore. Games come incomplete and buggy on the disc or cartridge, even sometimes requiring extra downloads to even get the game to work, boxes no longer carry instruction booklets and lack the excitement of the unboxing of the past. The magic is gone.

The reality is that digital and cloud streaming is the way forward, for better or worse. I'm pretty sure that PS6 and XSXX will be digital only and emphasize cloud streaming.

I'll always treasure the memories of physical but I moved on this gen to fully digital.

I remember the good old days getting physical copies of Sega Genesis games, smelling the instruction booklet and reading every line of it, admiring the box art, flipping the box back and forth to see the screenshots on the back of the box, getting home and putting the box in the shelf, snapping the cartridge out of the box and inserting it on the Genesis. It was a good era where physical was the only option.

Nowadays, that pleasure doesn't exist anymore. Games come incomplete and buggy on the disc or cartridge, even sometimes requiring extra downloads to even get the game to work, boxes no longer carry instruction booklets and lack the excitement of the unboxing of the past. The magic is gone.

The reality is that digital and cloud streaming is the way forward, for better or worse. I'm pretty sure that PS6 and XSXX will be digital only and emphasize cloud streaming.

I'll always treasure the memories of physical but I moved on this gen to fully digital.
Collectors editions of games contain manuals don't know what you are complaining about. It's just that normal physical editions don't have manuals anymore.

Most games are completely fine from the get go. It's a straight lie that most games are incomplete/broken/require huge downloads. I posted the statistics in this thread many times.

Sleepwalker

Sure, mass-produced sports and racing games on PS4 are going to be worthless trade-ins with low returns. Luckily, I don't buy or play those kinds of games. The titles I tend to buy physically are Switch RPGs and first party games that hold or exceed their original value. I have shelves full of the stuff. Those games also tend to have small or no download patches as well.
I play them, but they are about the only thing I buy digitally.

Kupfer

Most games are completely fine from the get go. It's a straight lie that most games are incomplete/broken/require huge downloads. I posted the statistics in this thread many times.
It's a fight against windmills. You can talk until you're blue in the face, and a day later, someone comes around the corner with the same point again...
Also, you have a link to your statistics? Would be easier to just link it next time.

Last edited:

devilNprada

The reality is that digital and cloud streaming is the way forward, for better or worse.
Not sure if ever brought up in this thread, but the current advantage to digital is the ability to be licensed to an account, but still simultaneously used on assigned primary console. Huge benefit for multi console households over physical purchases....

I would ask you though; will cloud streaming have a similar type of benefit?

Last edited:
It's a fight against windmills. You can talk until you're blue in the face, and a day later, someone comes around the corner with the same point again...
Also, you have a link to your statistics? Would be easier to just link it next time.
It's from here.

I'm gonne bookmark it because everytime the same lies will be spread the next or the other page.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's from here.

I'm gonne bookmark it because everytime the same lies will be spread the next or the other page.

They updated their website. It's good

DnIyvqs.png

S58a0Ed.png

Last edited:

Laieon

Bro who is going back to watch a movie like that repeatedly.

giphy.gif

Nolan: Buy 'Oppenheimer' on disc "so no evil streamer can steal it from you".🤣🤣👍👍👍

And unlike with games, there is a potentially big difference between physical/digital (in both picture and sound quality) unless you can afford to buy into something like kaleidoscape.

Last edited:
Although the tweet is not specifically about games I'll say that I'll be passing on the all digital future on closed ecosystems. Also, this is not the first time it has happened: https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/8/2...m-tv-show-removed-austria-germany-studiocanal

The shutdown serves as a crucial reminder that even when you “buy” a title digitally, your ownership often still relies on a retailer continuing to exist, and having the correct licensing deals in place. If you want to guarantee ownership forever, then physical purchases are still your best bet.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Although the tweet is not specifically about games I'll say that I'll be passing on the all digital future on closed ecosystems. Also, this is not the first time it has happened: https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/8/2...m-tv-show-removed-austria-germany-studiocanal

I remember R Types psone classics on my PS3 was no longer working. I got a message about licensing. I was like WTF? After that I stopped buying digital on any platform. Only time I buy digital is with my gold coins on the eShop since it's rewards and not my own money.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I have some PC game DVDs, but I can't play them because my current setup doesn't have a DVD-ROM🤷‍♂️ I can't imagine floppy disk collectioners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom