• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical games all the way

Physical or Digital

• Total voters

rofif

Banned
Yeah, I lost my xbox account, gamepass sub and entire library of games because I had my account on a friends xbox for gamesharing and he somehow got the entire console and all accounts banned.

I have a friend who also got his psn hacked and sony weren't helpful at all in the recovery process so an entire gen of games gone poof.
wtf. You can get your accounts banned?! my old 360 is banned too but the account is alive

Sleepwalker

wtf. You can get your accounts banned?! my old 360 is banned too but the account is alive
Yep, it's completely gone lol. I can only access the profile on my xbox when the series X is completely offline. My saves and stuff are there but I cant even log in to the account if the console connects to the internet.

Portugeezer

Physical for Nintendo, digital for everything else.

When a disk isn't playable right off the bat because it requires me to download something, that defeats the entire point. I can throw a cartridge into my Switch without a required download just fine though (I think...).

On top of that, I don't trust Nintendo's digital ecosystem enough yet to assume that my games will still be there in 5-10 years (or more). I can boot up digital games on my Series X that I bought during the 360 era (Castle Crashers or Braid, for example), just fine - but I can't boot up anything I bought on the Virtual Console during that same generation.

On the movie side of things, physical media all the way. Streaming can't do what my UB820 can.
I don't understand this, maybe people are confusing patches with parts of the game? I am certain the Switch has had many more games which require portions of games to be downloaded, because the publishers didn't want to pay for larger cartridges.

Krathoon

Gold Member
One of the problems with physical games is Limited Run. I don't like how they inflate the price of physical games.

They are trying to make physical copies collector's items.

Leonidas

Physical is archaic. Digital is the now (and future).

I bought a PS5 Digital with no regrets. Had it for over 2 years and never even bought a single game for it (and probably never will). Other than the $400 console I only spent $60 on a one year PS+ Extra sub which still has a good bit of time left. I'll wait till there is another deal on PS+ Extra before signing up again (or I'll wait till something I want to play and then sign up for a month).

The only positive of my old physical games is that I could sell them, but nowadays my backlog is so big and services like PS+ Extra, Xbox Game Pass and Humble Bundle mean I have no need to buy any games.

rofif

Banned
Physical is archaic. Digital is the now (and future).

I bought a PS5 Digital with no regrets. Had it for over 2 years and never even bought a single game for it (and probably never will). Other than the $400 console I only spent $60 on a one year PS+ Extra sub which still has a good bit of time left. I'll wait till there is another deal on PS+ Extra before signing up again (or I'll wait till something I want to play and then sign up for a month).

The only positive of my old physical games is that I could sell them, but nowadays my backlog is so big and services like PS+ Extra, Xbox Game Pass and Humble Bundle mean I have no need to buy any games.
Do you even game? It must be some side hobby for you

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Being locked into an ecosystem with high switching costs, service fees to use basic features, and forced obsolescence is the actual cost you're paying.

Costs aren't that expensive to "switch". If anything, it is cheaper than the cost of upgrading a PC every 10 years. Service fees aren't an issue either, especially if you don't play online games to begin with. Even if you do, its the cost of one brand new game a year. Any self respecting adult can easily cover that.

Forced obsolescence? Mate, PCs have more forced obsolence than consoles do. I can still play my NES, 30 years on. No issues, always have my games. I can't say the same for PC games I bought 10 years ago.

You are absolutely delusional.

Leonidas

Do you even game? It must be some side hobby for you
Steam tells me I spent over 20H gaming in the past two weeks. Spread between my desktop and Steam Deck. Didn't turn on the PS5 in that time though, but I do plan on playing the PS5 soon...

What would make you think I don't game?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is not true. Maybe it's different on other platforms, I play mostly xbox one with the disc and it has to install every time.

''Whether you buy a game on disc or download it from the Microsoft Store or Xbox Game Pass, you need to install it on your console’s hard drive before you can play it.''

PbGMgS3.png

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/install-games#:~:text=Whether you buy a game,before you can play it.

1.) Install doesn't mean download. They are not the same. You install games on PS3, PS4, and PS5, but you are not required to download any information. Its just taking hte information from the disc and making it readable and more readily available to use by the hardware.

2.) Xbox removed the DRM after two years for Xbox Series X physical games. You no longer need to be online once to create that online "check-in". Which was the biggest issue for the Series X.

Gambit2483

Any more, physical is just destroyable digital.
Once your physical version breaks you'll need to buy the game again.
Once you repurchase your physical copy, you'll...:messenger_smiling: ...need to download the digital game. 🤣😭😄
6IoX2sg.gif

Most of us are adults - young adults. We don't buy game warranties because we might "break our games"...

Krathoon

Gold Member
One thing I don't like about digital is that there is no guarantee you will always be able to download it.

Knightime_X

6IoX2sg.gif

Most of us are adults - young adults. We don't buy game warranties because we might "break our games"...
If your purchse is lost or damaged you must rebuy the game again.
Just about no aaa game fits on a disc anymore.

And if you want physical just so you can sell it might as well wait for a deep discount so you don't screw yourself.

Gambit2483

And if you want physical just so you can sell it might as well wait for a deep discount so you don't screw yourself.
I get your point but....What grown ass adult is "losing" or "breaking" their games though...? 🤔

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I am able to acquire this classic game (and more) for $1, download it and click the Play Button to play it.

Pricing aside, physical players cannot even acquire the Lost Planet 3 or Bionic Commando Rearmed in the bundle individually on modern consoles.

Yah maybe physical players are the one not getting it, literally.

Gexxy1

Digital bros, you're not going to replay every game you purchase for the rest of your life. Sell that shit when you're done with it. You're all losing money.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What mentally challenged moron is losing and damaging physical games?

Objectively false and shows your own ignorance. The vast majority of games including *most* AAA games are playable on disc with no updates required and play great.

🤡

I am able to acquire this classic game (and more) for $1, download it and click the Play Button to play it.

Pricing aside, physical players cannot even acquire the Lost Planet 3 or Bionic Commando Rearmed in the bundle individually on modern consoles.

Yah maybe physical players are the one not getting it, literally.
And yet, I can pick up games physically for half or even 1/5th the price of digital. It is almost like deals can be made for *both* and save you tons of money.

Fucking shocking, I know.

Leonidas

Digital bros, you're not going to replay every game you purchase for the rest of your life. Sell that shit when you're done with it. You're all losing money.
Physical PS5 costs $100 more than digital. If you buy a physical game and sell it you will most often lose money.

Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West were all $70 games.
If you sell them online today on eBay you'll be lucky to get $20 each after shipping & fees.

Buying digital is a bad deal too.

The only thing that makes sense to me is PS+ Extra (when it goes on sale for $60/year). I think I'll end up beating around 24 games on PS5 this year through PS+ Extra.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Physical PS5 costs $100 more than digital. If you buy a physical game and sell it you will most often lose money.

Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West were all $70 games.
If you sell them online today on eBay you'll be lucky to get $20 each after shipping & fees.

Buying digital is a bad deal too.

The only thing that makes sense to me is PS+ Extra (when it goes on sale for $60/year). I think I'll end up beating around 24 games on PS5 this year through PS+ Extra.

Physical PS5 costs 100 dollars more than Digital, yes - but it offers up an entire new range of deals on offer. Not everyone buys every new excluseive day one. Some wait. I could buy Demon Souls Remake for 20 dollars new right now physically and a short while ago I could have picked up SIFU for for half its price on digital.

As for buying games new: I can buy a brand new game for 70 dollars, beat it within a week and if it wasn't a game I want to keep in my collection, I can sell it for 50-60. Losing 10-20 dollars. If I buy new digitally and don't love the game, I am screwed out of that full 70. You usually have 2-4 months for major new releases before they drop down permanently in price. Physical is always the better option to save money in this regard.

While I may personally prefer physical, both are good for the industry and it is always good to have options. Buying a digital PS5 will save you money in the short term, but lose you money in the long term. Why would you purposefully gimp yourself?

Last edited:

Leonidas

Buying a digital PS5 will save you money in the short term, but lose you money in the long term. Why would you purposefully gimp yourself?
How am I gimped if I never intended to buy games on PS5 (physical or digital) in the first place?

I will use PS+ Extra as long as Sony keeps putting their exclusives on it. If PS+ Extra gets worse over time I can sell the PS5 and I'll only be out whatever I spent on the subscription (so far only $30, since I got all my PSN credit at half off).

Gambit2483

As someone who has supported physical in the past, I’m starting to lean towards this thinking too.
Physical sales are still over 60% of all total sales.

Gaming is global. Not every region/ country has 5G networking speed. If it's happening, it's not happening anytime soon.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Physical sales are still over 60% of all total sales.

Gaming is global. Not every region/ country has 5G networking speed. If it's happening, it's not happening anytime soon.

Don't you know? The only part of the world that matters is America, and only in the major cities. Other places don't exist.

DavidGzz

I gave most of physical games away and the rest are collecting dust never to be played again in my basement. No more clutter plus convenience makes me side with digital. Games are cheap.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Morons who lost belongings due to natural disasters, theft, general genuine accidents, maybe a kid messed it up.
Objectively false and shows your own ignorance. The vast majority of games including *most* AAA games are playable on disc with no updates required and play great.
OK, I'll give this W to you. Physical is archaic anyways, and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
Most games need to install to the HDD anyways, soooo.
There are people out there who scalp or use Ebay, good for you.
Meanwhile I'll make just as much via saving through digital download sales. so 🤡 indeed.

Of course there is always that kid that thinks getting $60 back on a $75 purchase (tax included) was a good deal.
I hope they enjoyed their $15 rental. ☠️

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Scratches? Theft? mishandling? Accidents?
When was the last time you heard someone say "Damn, my digital download was scratched because reason X, gotta rebuy it again." 🤣🤣
"Scratches accidents, accidents...", would all be attributed to human negligence or otherwise. No different than you forgetting your account passwords and "oh no! my downloads are locked." Nothing stated there says anything of the integrity of physical vs. digital. An 'oops' scenario is the same as some idiot knocking a game console off a table, busting the hard drive and then saying, Well...my downloads are dead as my hard drive?

Last edited:

Knightime_X

"Scratches accidents, accidents...", would all be attributed to human negligence or otherwise. No different than you forgetting your account passwords and "oh no! my downloads are locked." Nothing stated there says anything of the integrity of physical vs. digital. An 'oops' scenario is the same as some idiot knocking a game console off a table, busting the hard drive and then saying, " Well...my downloads are dead as my hard drive?"
Forgot password - Click to change. -Done-
I'd rather pay $100 to replace a hard drive than $2,000+ in software.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Forgot password - Click to change. -Done-
I'd rather pay $100 to replace a hard drive than $2,000+ in software.
Right. Forgetting a password = human negligence or error. Which would be no different than the person scratching or mishandling a disc. Or does physical just scratch itself?

Longevity's another factor here. How long do you figure those basic hard disks are going to be holding up 20-years from now? I have Famicom carts that are 36-years old and still boot. Upkeep on that hardware will get cost you.

Where did this $2K number come from?

Last edited:

Rayderism

You know, when I hear the term "physical games" these days, I think stuff like sports or games like Wii Fit.

Discs are a well-maintained illusion of ownership. Sure, it entitles you to play the game, Sure, you can re-sell it, sure, you can keep it on a shelf like a trophy, but if the patch servers shut down, you'll have nothing but a buggy, barely playable game 99% of the time. And recently, half the game isn't even on the disc anymore, requiring you to download the rest from an online file server. Then there's the online only games.....their server goes down and it's worthless no matter which way you bought it.

So, you can play it, sell it and shelve it. That's the well-maintained part of the illusion. Physical game ownership hasn't really been true since consoles started wanting a constant internet connection. Especially with the current trend the of release-it-now, patch-it-later mentality, the physical disc is little more than a DRM dongle with (as I said) a well-maintained illusion of ownership. They maintain the illusion only because there are so many who still insist on buying physical, and they fear lost sales or a backlash that would drastically affect their bottom line.

So let's see, first, they got rid of the instruction manuals, then they release buggy games that need an online patch to make work correctly, now they are only putting half the game on the disc. They're doing their best to discourage people from buying physical discs. Eventually, when the number of people buying physical dwindles to a small enough number, they WILL stop making them altogether. It's unfortunate, but inevitable.

Knightime_X

Right. Forgetting a password = human negligence or error. Which would be no different than the person scratching or mishandling a disc. Or does physical just scratch itself?

Longevity's another factor here. How long do you figure those basic hard disks are going to be holding up 20-years from now? I have Famicom carts that are 36-years old and still boot. Upkeep on that hardware will get cost you.

Where did this $2K number come from?
It's not hard to transfer hard drives if needed, and HDD don't die that fast.
The $2k was a low number I picked that would probably be the average price a gamer paid throughout the years for their collection build up.

For me, if a tornado hit my house and my PC collection was 100% physical I'd be out $11k
Most likely much more than that, because what I paid in digital next to never happens for physical.
Account value is low because I buy mostly games on sale or extremely cheap. Like $0.50 USD for tomb raider levels of cheap.
Others I paid full price day 1
eXnsVl0.png

For some, their collection could be MUCH higher.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not your disc, not your game.
Interesting...

how do think it would go down if a developer came to my house to retrieve it?

No matter the technicalities and all the reasons why you don't own the content that was written on the disc, a physical possession belongs to you regardless.

Hmmm it's as if digital stores never have sales!!! Nice try op
True, but you can find physical games on sale everywhere at anytime generally. Companies dictate when digital games go on sale with less options to purchase them. Not to mention physical are normally considerably cheaper to purchase with the option to trade, sell or borrow.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Morons who lost belongings due to natural disasters, theft, general genuine accidents, maybe a kid messed it up.
This happens enough where it becomes a genuine money sink? Which is what you are suggesting here. That theft, natural disasters, "genuine accidents" cause large sums of money to rebuy games. And not an insanely rare occurrence than, for most people, never happens in their lifetimes?

OK, I'll give this W to you. Physical is archaic anyways, and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
Most games need to install to the HDD anyways, soooo.
Oh no, I may spend 4-10 minutes to install a game! WHATEVER SHALL I DO! It isn't like the game is still completely playable with no updates! Oh wait, no it is. Well shit, there goes your idiotic complaint.

There are people out there who scalp or use Ebay, good for you.
Of course there is always that kid that thinks getting $60 back on a $75 purchase (tax included) was a good deal.
I hope they enjoyed their $15 rental. ☠️
Already explained this. Congratulations, not only have you shown your ignorance, but you have also shown you are wholly incapable of doing basic arithmetic.

You truly are the king of the clowns.

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I’ll never understand the individuals cheering for the death of physical media. It makes no sense to me from a consumer perspective. Less options is bad no matter what. I get that digital is more convenient and saves space, but what do you guys really think is going to happen if/when(?) the industry goes all digital? Higher prices, less competition and smaller discounts.

You wanna play that new broken, janky AAA game and that you probably can’t return or the new Assassins Creed game or COD? $100!! I guarantee an all digital future will be VERY detrimental to the consumers and even the industry. Gamers complain about $70 games now? Wait until you have to patiently wait for them to drop in price on the online store with paltry discounts. Watch games over 5 year old keep their $70 price tag as well.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

🤡

And yet, I can pick up games physically for half or even 1/5th the price of digital. It is almost like deals can be made for *both* and save you tons of money.

Fucking shocking, I know.
They are never as cheap as physical though. I can get a handful of Capcom classics for a buck. What’s the best $1 deal you can find on physical in history?

I spend $20 on Humble Monthly last month which include Death Stranding DC, Rollerdrome, Aliens Fireteam Elite, Life is Strange and more. I can also buy the $10 tier of that Capcom Bundle which include the $1 tier games, both Mega Man Legacy Collections, MM11 and Dragon’s Dogma. you can never match that on physical.

I am not even started on the free old digital games that publishers often gives. I have taken digital copy of Rayman Raving Rabbit, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles games, Splinter Cell from Ubisoft in recent years for $0.

I can even lie on the bed, buy Chrono Trigger off Steam at a cheap price, and play on my Steam Deck in a matter of minutes.

rofif

Banned
Steam tells me I spent over 20H gaming in the past two weeks. Spread between my desktop and Steam Deck. Didn't turn on the PS5 in that time though, but I do plan on playing the PS5 soon...

What would make you think I don't game?
You said it yourself you don’t buy games on ps5 so that points out how serious you are towards gaming on it.
You didn’t mention other platforms in that post so I couldn’t know

Flutta

Banned
It literally takes 2 seconds. People celebrating the loss of consumer rights over the 2 seconds of work. Shows how lazy this generation has become.
Yup it’s pathetic. They’re basically letting these companies own and controll their purchases and on top of that they’re even asked to pay more 🤣. All this in tha name of laziness.

Knightime_X

This happens enough where it becomes a genuine money sink? Which is what you are suggesting here. That theft, natural disasters, "genuine accidents" cause large sums of money to rebuy games. And not an insanely rare occurrence than, for most people, never happens in their lifetimes?

Oh no, I may spend 4-10 minutes to install a game! WHATEVER SHALL I DO! It isn't like the game is still completely playable with no updates! Oh wait, no it is. Well shit, there goes your idiotic complaint.

Already explained this. Congratulations, not only have you shown your ignorance, but you have also shown you are wholly incapable of doing basic arithmetic.

You truly are the king of the clowns.
If digital was water, and physical was an island, feel free to defend that island with all your might.
The water is rising with no end in sight.
Godspeed, good sir!

George C Scott America GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Gold Member
I buy what is cheapest. Sometimes that’s physical (usually day 1), sometimes that’s the the online PS store (the sales can be good). I don’t really care about collecting games on a shelf, but occasionally I’ll buy physical regardless as my son might want to borrow it, like with Jedi Survivor.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just not true. If it were then stores like GameStop would not be allowed. And collectors do not make selling/trading moot at all.

Example….

It's definitely true, they just choose not to enforce it. And it does make it moot, since they aren't selling anything.

From Rockstar's site, the EULA - I have highlighted some items in bold.

LICENSE​

Subject to this Agreement and its terms and conditions, Licensor hereby grants you a nonexclusive, non-transferable, limited, and revocable right and license to use one copy of the Software for your personal, non-commercial use for gameplay on a single Game Platform (e.g. computer, mobile device, or gaming console) as intended by Licensor unless otherwise expressly specified in the Software documentation. Your license rights are subject to your compliance with this Agreement. The term of your license under this Agreement shall commence on the date that you install or otherwise use the Software and ends on the earlier date of either your disposal of the Software or the termination of this Agreement (see below).

The Software is licensed, not sold, to you, and you hereby acknowledge that no title or ownership in the Software is being transferred or assigned and this Agreement should not be construed as a sale of any rights in the Software. Licensor retains all right, title, and interest to the Software, including, but not limited to, all copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, trade names, proprietary rights, patents, titles, computer codes, audiovisual effects, themes, characters, character names, stories, dialog, settings, artwork, sounds effects, musical works, and moral rights. The Software is protected by U.S. copyright and trademark law and applicable laws and treaties throughout the world. The Software may not be copied, reproduced, altered, modified, or distributed in any manner or medium, in whole or in part, without prior written consent from Licensor. Any persons copying, reproducing, or distributing all or any portion of the Software in any manner or medium, will be willfully violating the copyright laws and may be subject to civil and criminal penalties in the U.S. or their local country. Be advised that U.S. copyright violations are subject to statutory penalties of up to $150,000 per violation. The Software contains certain licensed materials and Licensor's licensors may also protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement. All rights not expressly granted under this Agreement are reserved by Licensor and, as applicable, its licensors.

LICENSE CONDITIONS​

You agree not to, and not to provide guidance or instruction to any other individual or entity on how to:
  1. commercially exploit the Software;
  2. use the Software in connection with an agreement with other individuals to wager any money or other thing of value;
  3. distribute, lease, license, sell, rent, convert into convertible currency, or otherwise transfer or assign the Software, or any copies of the Software, including but not limited to Virtual Goods or Virtual Currency (defined below) without the express prior written consent of Licensor or as expressly set forth in this Agreement;

Top Bottom