• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pick the next scary/creepy game for me to play this Halloween

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Every Halloween I try and play a scary game or at least a dark/goth type game. Doesn’t matter new or old. I went from Castlevania to Outlast to Resident Evil Revelations.

But, I’m kinda stuck. So, would my fellow Gaffers like to help me pick a game? Just give me some of your favorites you recommend to anyone. I’ll let everyone know which one I picked by next week and I will also tell you what I thought of said game.

My platforms:

Switch
PS4
Game Pass on PC
Steam/Origin/Epic

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Every Halloween I try and play a scary game or at least a dark/goth type game. Doesn’t matter new or old. I went from Castlevania to Outlast to Resident Evil Revelations.

But, I’m kinda stuck. So, would my fellow Gaffers like to help me pick a game? Just give me some of your favorites you recommend to anyone. I’ll let everyone know which one I picked by next week and I will also tell you what I thought of said game.

My platforms:

Switch
PS4
Game Pass on PC
Steam/Origin/Epic
It's got to be Alien Isolation if you haven't already...

Let us know what you have/haven't played and what your preferences are.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Let us know what you have/haven't played and what your preferences are.
Eh... it’s so hard to list the games I’ve played because it’s a lot. I’ve played most zombie games. Haven’t played Days Gone yet. HAvent played RE7 yet either.

I like a good suspense thriller like Outlast or Silent Hill. Old school creepy sidescrollers can be good too. I’m pretty easy to please.

Umbral

• Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Resident Evil 7
  • The Evil Within 1 and/or 2
  • PT (if you have it or can get ahold of it)
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Alien: Isolation (it’s more tense than horror at times)

Last edited:

Umbral

Haven’t played the evil within. Is it really good?
If you like Resident Evil. It’s Shinji Mikami, so same sort of DNA. Even the name is similar.

The Evil Within starts out pretty horror, then settles in.

2 is similar, but with a little more action. Think RE1 to RE2.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
You said like just a gothic maybe Halloween-y game so check out Bloodstained.

Get it on Switch. Just make sure to download latest patch. It runs great imo.

Evil Within is on GOG drm free too.

Silent Hill: The Room is also on GOG now.

Iqnw7cN.jpg

Darkmakaimura

Oh I'd also recommend Costume Quest.

It's not gothic or scary but is a Halloween game that'll make you feel like a kid again.

It's one of the best "video game made for Halloween" games I ever played. It's like the Great Pumpkin of video games. I loved it and it comes with the DLC Grubbins on Ice.

Darkmakaimura

Realms of the Haunting is an old PC game that's pretty entertaining and you can pick it up for $2.99 on Steam.
I looked at this last week. It was on sale for like a buck fitty but I didn't get it.

But it's another one drm free.

Kholat also looks good. Wait for a sale though. This game goes on sale a lot for around $5 or $6 bucks.

It's based on a true story about the Dyatlov Pass.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Eh... it’s so hard to list the games I’ve played because it’s a lot. I’ve played most zombie games. Haven’t played Days Gone yet. HAvent played RE7 yet either.

I like a good suspense thriller like Outlast or Silent Hill. Old school creepy sidescrollers can be good too. I’m pretty easy to please.
Phasmophobia's getting some great buzz lately. Not sure if it's VR-only, though.

Darkmakaimura

Soul Reaver! It’s not scary, but It’s got vampires dammit.

header.jpg
I'd second that to Hulk_Smash Hulk_Smash

I'm sure he's played it but if not, get the whole series, ok?

Keep in mind the first Blood Omen is not available on Steam or GOG due to licensing reasons but the rest are.

Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2 and Defiance are, however, available to purchase.

This is one of my favorite series ever made.

My platforms:

Switch
PS4
Game Pass on PC
Steam/Origin/Epic
if you are in Uk you can get alan wake collector's edition for less than £2 here https://www.cdkeys.com/alan-wake-collectors-edition-pc-steam

Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill (revision of the first)
and Silent Hill Downpour.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Would Vampyr better on PS4 or a PC w/a 1650?

And how is the RE series not on sale everywhere right now?

Top Bottom