• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Salazar's Revenge) - Reviews

Ithil

I am sure it wont fail atleast commercially and me thinks quality. These rottentomates stuff is so overblown bunch of random people adding reviews really, some of people reviewed pirates 5 gave Assasins creed 8/10 or tomato for me that movie was 1/10.

to each own

Mysteriously RT is totally not credible and doesn't matter any time a film you're interested in is poorly received.

Boem

The Pirates franchise was quickly ruined by me because of hordes of guys suddenly dressing like Captain Jack and acting like they're as cool as Depp at music festivals and the like. They stayed in character all the time and everything. There was a real plague of them from 2003 onwards.

They should just ditch this series and make a stopmotion Monkey Island movie. They've got the rights now after all, and these movies were always a pale imitation of those games.

hydruxo

Damn, that's a shame. I'll probably still see it though. I'm sure there's some enjoyment to be had from it even if it's not that good.

They're probably going to reboot POTC in a few years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How many straight bombas does this make for Depp?

cackhyena

The Pirates franchise was quickly ruined by me because of hordes of guys suddenly dressing like Captain Jack and acting like they're as cool as Depp at music festivals and the like. They stayed in character all the time and everything. There was a real plague of them from 2003 onwards.

They should just ditch this series and make a stopmotion Monkey Island movie. They've got the rights now after all, and these movies were always a pale imitation of those games.
Oh my god I love that idea.

I liked 2, but 1 was such a perfect thing. Pacing, characters, dialogue, everything about it.

Mysteriously RT is totally not credible and doesn't matter any time a film you're interested in is poorly received.

Rotten tomatoes is super random, A great movie can do terrible and a bad one can do really well. I always find user score on IMDB a lot more telling. Don't know why people subscribe so much to rotten tomatoes.

opricnik

Banned

What's even correlation between Monkey Island And Pirates. I really dont get your suggestion though

I am sure it wont fail atleast commercially and me thinks quality. These rottentomates stuff is so overblown bunch of random people adding reviews really, some of people reviewed pirates 5 gave Assasins creed 8/10 or tomato for me that movie was 1/10.

to each own

Literally zero of the people who gave Pirates 5 a rotten rating were positive towards Assassin's Creed. I checked.

It's fine if you want to stan for this movie, but right now you're kinda just flailing around and not making much sense.

Rotten tomatoes is super random, A great movie can do terrible and a bad one can do really well. I always find user score on IMDB a lot more telling. Don't know why people subscribe so much to rotten tomatoes.

IMDb is pure ballot-stuffing. Superfans of whatever newest blockbuster create dozens of accounts to rate their preferred series' new movie a 10 before they even see it. They also make sure to use all those sockpuppet accounts to rate "competing" movies a 1. It's the worst and a completely useless metric. Even the user ratings on RT are better.

There is nothing whatsoever random about RT. Its biggest sin is that it doesn't encourage people to read actual reviews.

Boem

How many straight bombas does this make for Depp?

I doubt it's going to bomb. The 4th movie had a very tame critical reception as well, and was one of the most profitable movies ever. Made over a billion worldwide.

What's even correlation between Monkey Island And Pirates. I really dont get your suggestion though

In the 90s they were going to make an animated Monkey Island movie. Same scriptwriters and everything (Terry Rossio primarily). They didn't end up making it, and it got retooled into the Pirates movies. It's not a secret, there's storyboards all over the place online. Lots of story beats and characters that would have been in the Monkey Island movie.

You can sort of tell by looking at the movies, there's lots of jokes/moments/scenes that are remarkably similar to moments in Monkey Island. I'm far from the first to notice it, a lot of articles have been written about it over the years (including comments from the Monkey Island creators and Rossio himself).

Toa TAK

Banned
Damn, that's a shame. I'll probably still see it though. I'm sure there's some enjoyment to be had from it even if it's not that good.

They're probably going to reboot POTC in a few years.
I'm the same. Movie is reviewing as normal, really. But I'm a Pirates fanboy so I'm just happy to have another. Eh.

opricnik

Banned
Literally zero of the people who gave Pirates 5 a rotten rating were positive towards Assassin's Creed. I checked.

It's fine if you want to stan for this movie, but right now you're kinda just flailing around and not making much sense.

IMDb is pure ballot-stuffing. Superfans of whatever newest blockbuster create dozens of accounts to rate their preferred series' new movie a 10 before they even see it. They also make sure to use all those sockpuppet accounts to rate "competing" movies a 1. It's the worst.

There is nothing whatsoever random about RT. Its biggest sin is that it doesn't encourage people to read actual reviews.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/matt-singer/movies

Buy new eyes then.

-shadow-

So is this the actual final film in the series, or the 'final' film in the series? Because I'd love an absolutely amazing film as a final film much like the original instead of the three sequels so far (not counting this one just yet since I haven't seen it myself yet).

Boke1879

I've always said people put way too much stock into an RT score. People will look at a score and deem the movie shit without ever having seen any of it.

But there are definitely people that pick and decide when RT is relevant for them. If you're doing to subscribe to a notion. Subscribe to it all the time.

JdFoX187

Banned
Damn, I've been hearing this was supposedly the best since the original. Judging by these reviews, it's barely better than On Stranger Tides. What a shit show that was. Oh well, the wife and I still plan on going since we got IMAX tickets for $9.

Vek

Aren't Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley in this? Why are the discount versions being shown on that poster instead?

opricnik

Banned
Damn, I've been hearing this was supposedly the best since the original. Judging by these reviews, it's barely better than On Stranger Tides. What a shit show that was. Oh well, the wife and I still plan on going since we got IMAX tickets for $9.

I think you will enjoy the movie all stuff they shown so far solid and director is much better then Stranger Tides crappy director.

AkumaNiko

This proves that they should really do something original like maybe a space mountain movie or maybe a movie based on its a small world.

I think it goes to show that you never trust early review reactions. Now the game begins, which movie gets the lower RT score, this or wonder women. I think it will be too close to call

I've always said people put way too much stock into an RT score. People will look at a score and deem the movie shit without ever having seen any of it.

But there are definitely people that pick and decide when RT is relevant for them. If you're doing to subscribe to a notion. Subscribe to it all the time.

^^^ I think RT has become nothing more than a trolling device, esp when it comes to marvel vs dc

Boke1879

I'm going to ask this. What difference does it make if this reviewer gave AC a better rating than this movie? When people are reviewing things they are not thinking about comparing it to another bad movie they reviewed.

I think this is where you gotta disassociate for a bit. It probably means that particular reviewers taste is just different from yours.

Boke1879

I think it goes to show that you never trust early review reactions. Now the game begins, which movie gets the lower RT score, this or wonder women. I think it will be too close to call

^^^ I think RT has become nothing more than a trolling device, esp when it comes to marvel vs dc

I'll say this. WW positive reception has come from critics and press. Not overly excited fanboys. Reviews can be different, but everything surrounding this movie has a different mood to it

Sorcerer

Holy shit, Depp's career comeback just sank with this ship. Walk the Plank Mr. Depp..
Now he won't be able to cruise by in 10 more flops until the next Pirates.

Grace Randolph dragged it pretty good. I really love her reviews.

Lowkey I'm glad this movie is getting horrible reviews. Johnny Depp is trash + bad word of mouth = more people seeing Wonder Woman the weekend after next.

AkumaNiko

I'll say this. WW positive reception has come from critics and press. Not overly excited fanboys. Reviews can be different, but everything surrounding this movie has a different mood to it

I hope that's the case, because i have always been a fan of WW and i have early screening passes to see it this wednesday

strafer

Holy shit, Depp's career comeback just sank with this ship. Walk the Plank Mr. Depp..
Now he won't be able to cruise by in 10 more flops until the next Pirates.

Just wait until Marvel picks him up for some role, he will get that 250 million dollar salary.

Mendrox

Can we kill this fucking franchise?

Fangirls will keep it alive sadly. I know many women that are hyped for it like the movies before. I dont know why. Maybe because of Depp? Only 1 and 3 were good. 3 was a tad too long though. Will watch this one for an euro in the next months maybe.

opricnik

Banned
I'm going to ask this. What difference does it make if this reviewer gave AC a better rating than this movie? When people are reviewing things they are not thinking about comparing it to another bad movie they reviewed.

I think this is where you gotta disassociate for a bit. It probably means that particular reviewers taste is just different from yours.
Nobody said any different it was another topic about how RT as a concept fundemantally broken. I pointed out Assassins Creed because i thought that movie was trash , then somebody claimed i was lying.Though we saw the truth.

opricnik

Banned
Grace Randolph dragged it pretty good. I really love her reviews.

Lowkey I'm glad this movie is getting horrible reviews. Johnny Depp is trash + bad word of mouth = more people seeing Wonder Woman the weekend after next.

Nope. Pirates gonna dominate the hell out until Transformers/Cars 3 arrives.

IMDb is pure ballot-stuffing. Superfans of whatever newest blockbuster create dozens of accounts to rate their preferred series' new movie a 10 before they even see it. They also make sure to use all those sockpuppet accounts to rate "competing" movies a 1. It's the worst and a completely useless metric. Even the user ratings on RT are better.

IMDB scores are trash.

While imdb users who worked on a movie might push a positive narrative and "stuff the ballot", said ballot usually gets evened out to a score that matches up with the movie. On rotten tomatoes you can have a movie at 100 pecent, but it's average, or 0 percent, but it's average so it's just a bad way to measure a movies quality.

I've seen people completely dismiss movies that are pretty good, because critics leaned slightly to the negative and the RT rating tanked as a result.

opricnik

Banned
I mean the entire point of an aggregator like Rotten Tomatoes is to smooth out the idiosyncratic tastes of a particular critic

Like you're saying it's useless by pointing out the thing it actually hedges against

That's why they use a Tomato-meter and not a Matt Singer-ometer

Thats why Rotten Tomatoes shouldnt have a collective scoreboard or something. Cool if its one place to bring all reviews together but the moment you collect them as scores it fails around.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yikes. Sounds like I can skip this one until it comes to Netflix. My big fear after the 4th one was that this would be more of the same, all the elements without any of the charm. The premise alone sounded like they were afraid to try something new.

Top Bottom