• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Salazar's Revenge) - Reviews

While imdb users who worked on a movie might push a positive narrative and "stuff the ballot", said ballot usually gets evened out to a score that matches up with the movie. On rotten tomatoes you can have a movie at 100 pecent, but it's average, or 0 percent, but it's average so it's just a bad way to measure a movies quality.
Thankfully RT has 3 different scores to get a decent picture and all of them are put in the same place for convenience.

I went to see Alien: Covenant this weekend. I saw that it had a 72% on RT before going. Seems good, right? It also had an average rating of 6/10 on the same site. This indicates that while the majority of people liked the movie, they also didn't think it was that great. It was full of "eh, this is OK" reviews. Turns out that's a pretty accurate description of the movie.

IMDb settles around 7/10 for every blockbuster. If you think that matches up with the movie, you're only looking up movies that you like.

TVexperto

Shot in Australia, “Dead Men Tell No Tales” rarely appears to be taking place anywhere other than a soundstage, featuring pirates posed against unnaturally hued skies, and a foggy color palette that ranges from gray to slate, gunmetal, granite, and ash.

Ugh I hate when movies look so fake...it always takes me out of the movie

Dysun

Seems like the perfect franchise that should have stayed a single movie

I forget how much I liked the original at the time now

Drazgul

Yikes. Sounds like I can skip this one until it comes to Netflix. My big fear after the 4th one was that this would be more of the same, all the elements without any of the charm. The premise alone sounded like they were afraid to try something new.

How did the fourth one do in ticket sales compared to the earlier ones? If people still go see it, why bother trying to improve.

ryan299

Odd. Seemed like the movie was good based on early twitter reports.

Can we kill this fucking franchise?

They've been advertising this one as the last one. If they do make more, I don't think Depp will be involved. Seems to have caused a lot of problems during the shoot.

Depp needs to do a comic book movie. Get like a villain role or something. It would rejuvenate his career.

He's the villain in the Harry Potter spinoff.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How did the fourth one do in ticket sales compared to the earlier ones? If people still go see it, why bother trying to improve.

I'm fairly certain it crossed $1 billion worldwide. I'd say they should always be motivated to keep the franchise fresh cause your next movie might suffer if people saw the last movie but didn't care for it. Alice in Wonderland made over a billion dollars too, and then the sequel came along a few years later and nobody cared. Actually...this is all the same elements.

Azzurri

This movie will probably pass a billion WW. Anyways, aren't Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom signing on for the next installments?

The 2nd one is legit my favorite adventure movie of all time i can't understand the hate
The first 20 minutes or so are absolutely hilarious. Movie is downhill from there though.

Also lol@Pirates 5. Its time to bury this franchise. Dead movies tell no tales. Kon Tiki Helmers is done.

opricnik

Banned
Odd. Seemed like the movie was good based on early twitter reports.

They've been advertising this one as the last one. If they do make more, I don't think Depp will be involved. Seems to have caused a lot of problems during the shoot.

He's the villain in the Harry Potter spinoff.
Yeah lol fuckin no. Any pirates movie without Deep would be insta fucking bomb

People are coming to see his performance as Sparrow

Fury451

Banned
Sounds about right. Didn't look good at all from the trailers. Javier Bardem's character looks like a watered down Davy Jones and the whole Jack Sparrow schtick is getting really old

Bardem's character looks exactly like Barbossa.

Undead pirate and crew driven by hatred for Jack Sparrow because of his actions.

Fury451

Banned
Did you watch the movie? How was setpieces and how did enviroment look(fake/cgi or real)
I have not, those comments were based on trailer and synopsis observations only, but this is one of those franchises that I would go to even if I end up disappointed. When it releases this week I'll be there for sure.

RamaKun

Considering the RottonTomatoes score for the Pirates movies started tanking from the second movie, and I thought the 2nd movie was great, if nothing else I should get a similar amount of enjoyment out of this movie.

I mean Dead Man's Chest got a 54%, At World's End got a 45%, and On Stranger Tides got a 32%, so if this movie has a 35% then I should find it enjoyable enough.

If I based my movie-going decision purely on RT scores I would have avoided 2 out of 3 Verbinski PotC movies. I don't deny that the first movie is without a doubt the finest of the series, but the entire series has scratched an itch for me no other series has, and its not like we're getting any other fantasy pirate movies.

I liked the first two films a lot, so fingers crossed I'll enjoy this despite the reviews.

Word of mouth is probably going to make or break this franchise going forward, as I doubt it's the guaranteed BO juggernaut it used to be.

As an aside, while I didn't like AWE, I loved the music of that film, and quite a few themes are apparently back.

I really hope that some of the characters at least reference in a tongue in cheek kind of way that the premise is identical to the first movie.

RamaKun

Is it bad that I wish they'd bring back these two goofballs?

Ragetti_and_Pintel.jpg

They were pure stupid humor, but they had this charm about them that I missed in the 4th.

Woof. Can't say I'm surprised about those reviews. And it was following on the heels of "positive impressions" too (keep your expectations in check for WW).

With that said, it's pretty early in the week, and the reviews seem more mixed than outright negative. The Boss Baby's RT percentage started out very low when the first batch arose (around the high 20s, if it stayed there, it would had been DWA's worst-reviewed film on the site), but then got a huge glut of positive reviews that boosted it up to the 50s. So I'd wait for a few more days at least.

Though if it still reviews poorly overall, the word of mouth will either make or break this film, given its $230M budget. Best case scenario I can see for this film is it underperforming domestically but being saved by tremendous worldwide grosses (especially if its opening in China). Worst case scenario is that it turns into one of the bonafide biggest bombs of this decade and effectively kills off any non-Disney remake*/Marvel/SW live-action Disney films with big budgets for years.

*Mary Poppins sequel notwithstanding.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The biggest mistake was elevating Sparrow from a lovable supporting actor to the lead focus in all of the sequels.

I'll give this a look when it hits streaming services though.

Anung

Un Rama
The biggest mistake was elevating Sparrow from a lovable supporting actor to the lead focus in all of the sequels.

I'll give this a look when it hits streaming services though.

Yeah, the over-exposure and over-importance of the character is what really killed the series for me.

He is great in short bursts but totally overbearing when at the centre of everything.

Johnny Depp is approaching Adam Sandler status for me. I can't believe I'm saying that because he used to make a ton of movies I love, but for the past 10 years he is either in terrible movies, or dragging down decent movies with his stupid fake face and ridiculous voices. And he needs to stop acting like Hunter Thompson already. Shit is worse than Madonna's British accent.

Yeah, this reception lines up with what I thought when I saw it.

Love the first one, really like the second. This one is bad.

The movie's plot is essentially the filmmakers trying to steer the franchise back to the way it was in the original trilogy. The post credit scene reaffirms this.

It's just so lifeless, and there's no way the next one (especially if the same directors come back) will ever live up to the potential of that last stinger.

george_us

The 2nd one is legit my favorite adventure movie of all time i can't understand the hate
Dead Man's Chest is my favorite of the OG trilogy and At World's End was batshit insane in a good way. Not sure if I'll see this one though. On Stranger Tides was a little boring.

opricnik

Banned
i saw this clip on kimmel and everything about is was awful. depp's sparrow bordering on self-parody. bardem doing who the hell knows, saying who the hell knows.

Nothing about this seems awful and people enjoyed and even youtube comments are sane and peaceful.
But
Some of the hypocrite people here trying to dissmiss anything Deep done over some nonfactual things about some girl(which i would consider her Devil in flesh but thats another topic).

Nothing about this seems awful and people enjoyed and even youtube comments are sane and peaceful.
But
Some of the hypocrite people here trying to dissmiss anything Deep done over some nonfactual things about some girl(which i would consider her Devil in flesh but thats another topic).

What the fuck is this nonsense?

Top Bottom