• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Salazar's Revenge) - Reviews

overcast

Not terribly surprising. The 3rd movie was awful and killed my interest in the series. This one wasn't looking much better than 4.

Bland set pieces + Depp being Depp is basically all it looked like. Still might see it when it's streaming but probably not. I think this is gonna do pretty lacking in the domestic box office with these awful reviews. Overseas will save them.

You must only watch 5/5 star indie movies then because its much better then stuff most people watch like MCU Craps,Star Wars Nu Trilogy/Prequels or other blockbusters
You know you can like something others don't without shitting on everything else others do, right?

I know it can be hard considering everyone tries their hardest to be hyperbolic and every new movie in an old franchise is the worst thing theyve ever seen, but why join in?
Nothing about this seems awful and people enjoyed and even youtube comments are sane and peaceful.
But
Some of the hypocrite people here trying to dissmiss anything Deep done over some nonfactual things about some girl(which i would consider her Devil in flesh but thats another topic).
Also

What

Nothing about this seems awful and people enjoyed and even youtube comments are sane and peaceful.
But
Some of the hypocrite people here trying to dissmiss anything Deep done over some nonfactual things about some girl(which i would consider her Devil in flesh but thats another topic).

What an odd thing to be so defensive over.

Outside of the first one and bits of the second, these films are an incoherent mess, much like your posts.

Now that She-Devil is out of the way, are you going to make your move on ol' Bomb Factory Depp?

But

Well now you can just drop any pretense about this being about the integrity of movie critics.

nOoblet16

Damn is this actually called Dead Men tell no tales outside UK? That's such a shitty name lol

Anyways I'm not sure of the reviews are like this because it's more of the same or if it's just bad. If it's the former then I don't mind watching it.

caliph95

But
What
Does
That
Have
To
Do
With
Anything
besides people were critical of him way before then

But

Tell us how you really feel.

Also, no one's avatar quoted this guy?

image.php

pestul

But
Do you actually know her?

Dang, this one had good early buzz. I think it fell into the same trappings as the early BvS fan screenings though..

opricnik

Banned

Dang, this one had good early buzz. I think it fell into the same trappings as the early BvS fan screenings though..

No ?But she going to musk immediately after broke up gives me pretty good idea about her.
Does anyone of you know Deep then?
Why judge him on based no facts? on like every fucking thread about him lately

Vice

Sliding quality, less interest in the franchise and it seems like this one isn't doing plaything too interesting. Plus, Depp has been in a lot of terrible films lately.

No ?But she going to musk immediately after broke up gives me pretty good idea about her.

A divorcee dating is bad?

Boem

Tell us how you really feel.

Also, no one's avatar quoted this guy?

image.php

I have been so, so tempted earlier.

His writing style kinda makes me think Depp has a secret Gaf account. Who the hell gets so defensive over the fifth movie in a lackluster franchise to the point of dragging Depp's ex into it and calling her a she-devil?

Opricnik: It's fine to look forward to this movie. It's also fine that this isn't getting great reviews and that most people here don't seem particularly excited about these movies anymore.

I enjoy old 60s hokey scifi movies, but I'm not going to get all emotional because I can't get the rest of the world to enjoy them as much as I do. Just enjoy the movie, it's fine. Really. You're not doing much to convince people here the movie is better than it seems right now.

You must only watch 5/5 star indie movies then because its much better then stuff most people watch like MCU Craps,Star Wars Nu Trilogy/Prequels or other blockbusters

Honestly, it's about on par with the movies you listed. People in this thread keep acting like this dislike for Dead Man's Chest came out of no where, but it didn't. It was a dissapoinment at the time and it's still not good. I remember stories at the time with titles like "It wasn't just you, Johnny Depp also fell asleep during Pirates 2"

Fans of Pirates 2 need to stop acting like it's being retroactively trashed. It was never good.

Vice

I have been so, so tempted earlier.

His writing style kinda makes me think Depp has a secret Gaf account. Who the hell gets so defensive over the fifth movie in a lackluster franchise to the point of dragging Depp's ex into it and calling her a she-devil?

Opricnik: It's fine to look forward to this movie. It's also fine that this isn't getting great reviews and that most people here don't seem particularly excited about these movies anymore.

I enjoy old 60s hokey scifi movies, but I'm not going to get all emotional because I can't get the rest of the world to enjoy them as much as I do. Just enjoy the movie, it's fine. Really. You're not doing much to convince people here the movie is better than it seems right now.

It's especially odd when nearly all of Depp's action and comedy work over the last 5 years have reviewed terribly, regardless of his relationship status.

Look, I clearly disagree with you on movies. Which is fine, variety is the spice of life.

But maybe you should take step back and not turn this thread into slut-shaming/victim-blaming/whatever you're trying to do here. Not trying to backseat mod here or anything, but you're not gonna like where that road leads.

caliph95

It's especially odd when nearly all of Depp's action and comedy work over the last 5 years have reviewed terribly, regardless of his relationship status.
People were getting tired of stchik before people even cared about his marriage it's why at least with critics and some people in the internet were celebrating Black Mass.

RamaKun

People were getting tired of stchik before people even cared about his marriage it's why at least with critics and some people in the internet were celebrating Black Mass.
A shame Black Mass didn't pull in more money than it did.

It was the best thing Depp has been in for ages.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Nonsense, Pirates 2 is awesome, the designs of Davy Jones and his crew are amazing.
xOyCQ6m.jpg

Would pay real money for a action/horror game with similar designs

Nah, Davy Jones and his crew are the one awesome part of a mediocre movie. The only great film in the series is the first one, the others are weird pale shambling imitations. Like Matrix Reloaded, I was willing to give the second one the benefit of the doubt until the third movie came out and shit the bed. But I guess they're still better than the fourth because I don't even remember anything about the fourth one.

Really the sequels were more or less doomed when Sparrow became the main character. He works as a foil, as comedy relief, and as a window into the weird world of the pirate stuff for non-pirate characters and the audience. But he doesn't work as a central protagonist at all, and the pointless retcons to his character (First film: "Jack Sparrow as a captain?! That's ridiculous!" Sequels: "Oh you mean Captain Jack Sparrow the son of the greatest pirate of all time and one of the legendary Pirate Kings?") undermine what made him fun in the first place.

Good on Disney for making a lot of money off the back of these films, but it's too bad they couldn't have made good films while they were at it.

you're recently single

the richest fucker in the world comes knocking

and you're supposed to go: 'nah fam"

???

opricnik

Banned
you're recently single

the richest fucker in the world comes knocking

and you're supposed to go: 'nah fam"

???

more like you find richest fucker in the world also is a nerd and who looked like this
paypal-jpg.jpg

few years ago , much easier to convince then Deep me presumes.

But

gaIwQP7.jpg

more like you find richest fucker in the world also is a nerd and who looked like this
http://images.boomsbeat.com/data/images/full/4273/paypal-jpg.jpg[/IMG

few years ago , much easier to convince then Deep me presumes.[/QUOTE]

Photo from 17 years ago > "few years ago"

Who knew some people were this depply invested Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

Boem

paypal-jpg.jpg

few years ago , much easier to convince then Deep me presumes.

Why do you keep calling him Deep?

What are you trying to do here?

Why is all this happening in a random review thread?

It's one of those days I suppose.

I have to admit you're fascinating to me. You've gone from a Pirates fanboy who gets angry about people not being excited enough about the new movie to cryptic messages about Johnny Deep's ex. I'm not sure what your endgoal is here but it's good stuff.

Pretty disappointing. I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of the franchise outside of the first, but I'm hoping the people I talked to before reviews that said it was a lot of fun are closer to my view on the movie than critics.

I kind of expected this movie to be mediocre. The first one was pretty good and everything after that has been disappointing. Meh.

Top Bottom