• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piscatella: In the US, PS5 is now trending 9% above PS4; XBS trails behind XBO by 11%

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
MS needs to understand that they need a high quality games if they want to sell systems. What did they release this year ? redfall ? starfield that is a huge disappointment and honestly boring beyond belief. and a Forza game that is supposed to be a next gen game only but cars looks worse in details than a game that was released 9 months before and has a PS4 port.

The year before ? they had ZERO games. Honestly I am even surprised they sold that much.

Quality over quantity. they don't produce system sellers. main while their competitors whatever Nintendo or Sony, release one hit after the other.

keep releasing mid range games, keep on getting a beating till you raise the white flag. one way or another, they will learn the hard way. so be it. full retarded move one after the other. .

Quality over quantity
Under promise, over deliver
Talk less, do more

Personally as a consumer I value this approach to products and services, however I think the Xbox management team this generation have completely ignored all of these.

John Wick

With all the acquisitions they've made, I doubt they'll do it but it's time to pull the plug on the Xbox brand and become a 3rd party publisher. Lagging behind the disaster that was the XBone is something else.
Remember the fanboys saying how X Series was trending ahead of the XOne gen launches aligned?
Or when beginning of this gen there was no chance of Sony dominating this gen 2:1 like last gen cause uncle Phil had it all under control?

Varteras

Gold Member
I just don't think Microsoft as a whole has ever been very good at marketing. I get the sense that they are used to their consumer products selling themselves. Word of mouth and all that. When they actually need to go out and convince people to buy, they seem utterly clueless on how to do it effectively. Of course, this is compounded by the very real problem they've had for over a decade now. They just haven't actually delivered big, impactful games. On the rare occasion they land a win, it ends up being followed by either a content drought or a series of duds.

In the 3 years since this gen started, they've not had anything like a Spider-Man, Horizon, or God of War. Nor have they dropped their own Mario, Zelda, or Animal Crossing. Their most critically acclaimed games are the types that just don't move the needle. They don't get the community in general talking about your box in a good way.

This market has shown that a 3-way console battle doesn't afford much room for all consoles to be very successful. In that case, you need to be convincing a large portion of PlayStation and Nintendo gamers to either ditch their preferred platform or be willing to spend the extra cash to invest in a whole other product and ecosystem. Which frequently means asking them to invest in 3 consoles at once.

Xbox just isn't meeting those fanbases where they're at or not doing so often enough. The longer this goes on, the more entrenched these gamers are. It really does seem like the only chance Xbox really has is to hope that one of them has a monumental screw up and the resulting fallout sends gamers their way and not into the arms of the other competitor.

I think the most immediately impactful thing Xbox could have done was take Call of Duty exclusive. However, that not only would have not been enough on its own, but there would have been a very real risk of that backfiring on them. There really isn't any silver bullet to their situation. Anything they do is going to take time, a lot of good moves, and quite a bit of luck.

People talk about acquisitions, but we're seeing doors being slammed on the very idea. Sega. Capcom. Ubisoft. CD Projekt. All of them apparently not options. Either because they have publicly shot down any notions or because it is actually forbidden, in the case of Ubisoft, for quite some time. Capcom and Sega even directly refused the notion of specifically being bought by Microsoft.

So their options to simply buy their way into console relevance, at the very least, appear to be increasingly limited. This is on top of the interests of other parties to consolidate as well. With Sony expected to reveal more detailed plans for further acquisitions in Spring. This coming after earlier comments this year which showed Sony's President clearly in the mood to make substantial moves to avoid getting content starved down the road. Including selling off a major portion of the company to fuel their purchasing power for their entertainment plans. Of which SIE is at the forefront.

I typically try to avoid eyerolling doom and gloom talk. But, Microsoft's eagerness to buy such large portions of the industry, while having no clear plan to actually improve their offerings any time soon in a way that makes them more competitive with PlayStation or Nintendo, while trying to push a "value destructive" subscription service that has largely stagnated, may very well be looked back on as the move that sealed the fate of their console. Not its deliverance.

Last edited:

YuLY

I dont want to be a doomer, especially since I like Xbox more than PlayStation as someone who is kinda neutral on them, since I'm mainly a PC gamer.

But...I honestly dont see Xbox making it past this decade, like I dont think the gamepass subs will get anywhere close to where they hope. Starfield came and while it did great and they mentioned a boost, I just dont think it was anywhere enough. And whats else out there? TES6 in 5 years? this was like the biggest game they could have put with "prestige", lets be real, Clockwork Revolution and Indiana Jones FPS arent gonna add any significant number of subs.

I just dont see them getting close to Playstation and once Phil decides/or is made to leave, I think the Xbox division is donezo. I dont think MS will abandon gaming for good, probably license IPs and stuff, but yea, the 360 days are over and they are never coming back friends, its sad but I dont think theres a way out.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are they doing better or worse revenue wise?
Revenue is meaningless in this case because of large-scale acquisitions. Operating profit is a significantly more meaningful metric post-acquisitions.

Example: Xbox bought Bethesda for $7.5 billion and, let's say, added $1 billion in revenue to the Xbox division. But they made Starfield, Redfall, and Hi-Fi Rush exclusives. And those games didn't sell much on Xbox/PC either.

So while you could say that "see their revenue is up by $1 billion YoY so they are succeeding," it is very much possible that they lost more money than they earned after the acquisition, accelerating their fall and abandonment of the gaming industry. Which means the $1 billion increase in revenue was meaningless.

Imagine how the PS5 would be doing without Covid. That's all i'm saying for now.

Series S was the go-to console for a good year because of its entry point and the fact Sony could barely produce PS5 units.

Speaking of Series S price...it's insane how a console that's been on sale for 300$ is doing like...this. You have 2 entry points for the same generation of consoles and your biggest market is in decline. Incredible...

Forth

I dont want to be a doomer, especially since I like Xbox more than PlayStation as someone who is kinda neutral on them, since I'm mainly a PC gamer.

But...I honestly dont see Xbox making it past this decade, like I dont think the gamepass subs will get anywhere close to where they hope. Starfield came and while it did great and they mentioned a boost, I just dont think it was anywhere enough. And whats else out there? TES6 in 5 years? this was like the biggest game they could have put with "prestige", lets be real, Clockwork Revolution and Indiana Jones FPS arent gonna add any significant number of subs.

I just dont see them getting close to Playstation and once Phil decides/or is made to leave, I think the Xbox division is donezo. I dont think MS will abandon gaming for good, probably license IPs and stuff, but yea, the 360 days are over and they are never coming back friends, its sad but I dont think theres a way out.
I agree totally, I think we'll see a PS5 Starfield goty edition in about three years.
It must be really disappointing for BGS to not have PlayStation to boost those sales numbers.
Personally I've had enough of Xbox and how it's been managed, I will definitely be selling my Series X and going PS5 very soon.
Their handling of Forza has been a disgrace and they should be ashamed of how they dealt with all of their exclusives.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Revenue is meaningless in this case because of large-scale acquisitions. Operating profit is a significantly more meaningful metric post-acquisitions.

Example: Xbox bought Bethesda for $7.5 billion and, let's say, added $1 billion in revenue to the Xbox division. But they made Starfield, Redfall, and Hi-Fi Rush exclusives. And those games didn't sell much on Xbox/PC either.

So while you could say that "see their revenue is up by $1 billion YoY so they are succeeding," it is very much possible that they lost more money than they earned after the acquisition, accelerating their fall and abandonment of the gaming industry. Which means the $1 billion increase in revenue was meaningless.

You have to know that somewhere at Microsoft is an executive looking at the overall performance of the Bethesda games this generation and screaming, "We paid over $7 billion for this shit just so PlayStation didn't get Starfield for a year?!"

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Imagine how the PS5 would be doing without Covid. That's all i'm saying for now.

Series S was the go-to console for a good year because of its entry point and the fact Sony could barely produce PS5 units.

Speaking of Series S price...it's insane how a console that's been on sale for 300$ is doing like...this. You have 2 entry points for the same generation of consoles and your biggest market is in decline. Incredible...
Exactly. As I also kept saying, COVID helped Xbox soooo much! It'd have been a bloodbath from the get-go otherwise.

It's almost embarrassing that the Xbox management could not even capitalize on that opportunity.

Instead of flooding the market with Xbox Series X|S, Phil Spencer, in his infinite wisdom, started to populate xCloud server blades, rather than selling the console to gamers and increasing their market share. Only to realize 2 years later that the "Xbox console gamer is the most financially committed" and "Console is critical to the future of Xbox." 🤡

YuLY

I'm still hoping for a Gears Marcus Fenix collection until Phil leaves, still salty we never got 2 and 3 on PC. But for real, I think theres no way out for Xbox, it honestly feels like a perfect storm for shit to go bad, like even look at COD MW3, the moment they get it, the game gets 4/10 reviews due to campaign and stuff, its like a curse lol, its obviously not their fault on this one, but not sure that matters much.

Varteras

Gold Member
Exactly. As I also kept saying, COVID helped Xbox soooo much! It'd have been a bloodbath from the get-go otherwise.

It's almost embarrassing that the Xbox management could not even capitalize on that opportunity.

Instead of flooding the market with Xbox Series X|S, Phil Spencer, in his infinite wisdom, started to populate xCloud server blades, rather than selling the console to gamers and increasing their market share. Only to realize 2 years later that the "Xbox console gamer is the most financially committed" and "Console is critical to the future of Xbox." 🤡

Didn't we also get a number that only about 1% of Xbox owners, or GamePass subscribers even, use xCloud? Talk about a huge OOF.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Didn't we also get a number that only about 1% of Xbox owners, or GamePass subscribers even, use xCloud? Talk about a huge OOF.
And even that 1% has been running into huge queues.

CXFqNde.jpg

An absolute waste of money and, more importantly, time!

zapper

series is behind one, compared to 360 instead? I remember that at the same time, Series had sold more in the npd reports several months ago

Flutta

Banned
This is insanely bad... let me add some context.

1) They have the least expensive system available
2) They have spent around 90B+
3) They are giving away the 1st party games on a sub
4) They are giving away big AAA titles day 1 on a sub
4) Phil Spencer has been praised by the media and fanbase

And they're down 11% vs the worst announcement of a system of all time, that was generally viewed as joke and had the worst version of pretty much every game released.
If You Say So Shrug GIF
F-3gB2eWMAAqSTK

I'm still waiting for one big exclusive from Microsoft to purchase a Series S because it is an incredible deal. Not only for Gamepass, but having access to EA Play and Ubisoft + is great as well. I was planning for Starfield to be that game until reviews came out. And it just seems like everything is half baked. I dont really see a potential "must have game" until Fable releases in 2025/26

As someone who has never owned an Xbox, I do wish Microsoft the best, for the most part. They have a lot of smaller studios like Obsidian, who are succeeding because Microsoft invested money into them. But, It sucks Microsoft had to go out and buy massive publishers and not organically build from within. Having said that, competition is good. It would be really bad for gaming if Microsoft left the market

It is obvious they thought they had a slam dunk at the start of the gen, especially with having the theoretically more powerful system.
Them trying to pretend xbox sales dont matter is just cope. They do matter because without xbox, they wouldnt get xbox live revenue, accessory revenue and game royalties.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It is obvious they thought they had a slam dunk at the start of the gen, especially with having the theoretically more powerful system.
Them trying to pretend xbox sales dont matter is just cope. They do matter because without xbox, they wouldnt get xbox live revenue, accessory revenue and game royalties.
They did.

PRfm7W4.jpg

In fact, they always did.

kwFY2tb.jpg

This is the 2nd consecutive defeat of Phil Spencer.

He can now pretend all he wants that console sales do not matter, but he'd be lying.

Ok but what has sony done to warrant the sales, this gen? What. They don't announce shit, they don't prop up indies like they did, they are abandoning single player for gaas, they aren't pro gamer (like they were in the ps3 -> early ps4 cycle), they are pro woke , cringe, and raising prices, plus most importantly barely any new games (in comparisions to ps1-ps4, ps5 is barren). Outside of gt7, horrizon, spiderman, gowr, and too much shitty tlou stuff , there isn't much. where is the resistance, killzone, uncharted with Nate, heavenly sword 2 (they wouldn't too much beauty and skin) , bloodbourne 2 or similar, rpgs, colony wars , wipeout, warhawk, etc..... No where. Not announced, nothing.

I get xbox sucking, I don't own one as i can play on pc, but damn, this gen sucks outside of a few titles we got this year, and my praise goes to Nintendo and of course all the cool games coming out on pc.

Ok but what has sony done to warrant the sales, this gen?
They don't need to do anything, because the average consumer will buy a console either way. They want the new CoD, the new FIFA and, eventually, the new GTA. Sony doesn't have to do anything special to sell to these people. People who had a PS4 will just get a PS5 by default, and those who are on the fence will just get the one that sucks less, and Sony wins there without having to put in any effort at all.

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

Ok but what has sony done to warrant the sales, this gen? What. They don't announce shit, they don't prop up indies like they did, they are abandoning single player for gaas, they aren't pro gamer (like they were in the ps3 -> early ps4 cycle), they are pro woke , cringe, and raising prices, plus most importantly barely any new games (in comparisions to ps1-ps4, ps5 is barren). Outside of gt7, horrizon, spiderman, gowr, and too much shitty tlou stuff , there isn't much. where is the resistance, killzone, uncharted with Nate, heavenly sword 2 (they wouldn't too much beauty and skin) , bloodbourne 2 or similar, rpgs, colony wars , wipeout, warhawk, etc..... No where. Not announced, nothing.

I get xbox sucking, I don't own one as i can play on pc, but damn, this gen sucks outside of a few titles we got this year, and my praise goes to Nintendo and of course all the cool games coming out on pc.
they've had a few state of plays which were indie focused they've also had some blockbuster indies that they promoted and helped with such as Kena and Stray along with Sifu just to name a few which have all been award winners and must plays. Sure there are some areas they need to improve on getting back to but if they are still focused on quality then the audience will stay with them.

SimTourist

Xbox as a whole is still essentially riding out all the built up goodwill from the Xbox 360 days but those old fans are getting old and play less and less. They've been unable to attract any new customers in the last decade and the brand is quickly decaying.

It can, MS just sucks at running a games division.
nope. What happened with Nintendo when Xbox entered the Industry? They stop trying the 'graphics warz'. And when you see the trend of Nintendo's home console sales, they show a downward trend since Nintendo 64 (when Playstation entered the industry).

Wii (was an anomaly) captured the normies but the downward trend continued with the WiiU. With The Switch, they basically unified their development efforts in just one console (the handled market, supported by their own Marketing). So, when you add their historic handheld market size and their dwindling home console market size; you get Switch numbers.

And MS said they never made any money with Xbox hardware, so they've been subsidizing something that never worked on its own.

So, we see Devs/Publishers making decisions regarding the release of their games. A lot of AAA games skip the switch and no one gets triggered and if they release on it, they are subpar experiences.

AAA games usually release games on consoles and PC, with the latter usually having worse optimization and lacking features.

I just wonder if having a third console is actually a detriment for the industry's health.

The way most of this post is wrong, lmao.

Let's start:

"They don't announce shit" - No...except for all the games they have released so far. They have at least 1 or 2 huge blockbusters released per year. Not all can relate to this. Nintendo who release much cheaper games to produce, also announce their games much closer to release date now. In fact, most 3rd party publishers are opting for that. MS is the one announcing games 4 or 5 years in advance with CGI trailers and then the final product has nothing to do with said games.

"they don't prop up indies like they did" - No...they just promote games like Stray, Kena, Sifu, etc. They literally have indie announcements in every damn major conference they do and y'all complain about them being there cause they aren't huge AAA announcements. They have a big banner on PS Store "deals" page right now with Indie promos as soon as you visit it. Go check it out :)

"they are abandoning single player for gaas" - Yet at this time PS5 has more AAA single player game released vs the PS4 during its first 3 years. Go figure. At this point last gen the only huge 1st party AAA title we had was Uncharted 4. Bloodborne was a 3rd party exclusive, which PS5 also has plenty.

"they aren't pro gamer (like they were in the ps3 -> early ps4 cycle)" - what is being pro gamer? They do what they have to to make more money. They aren't pro gamer now because they are #1 in the industry. They were "pro-gamer" back then because they were regaining control of the market. MS is also losing the "pro-gamer" fame right now (increasing prices, etc) because you can only keep on doing so for so long.

"Outside of gt7, horrizon, spiderman, gowr, and too much shitty tlou stuff , there isn't much" - No..if you don't count Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, plenty of 3rd party exclusives like FFXVI, FFVII Remake, the upcoming Death Stranding 2, FFVII Rebirth, Silent Hill 2, Wolverine, etc... If anything Sony has more exclusive content announced than MS (that's releasing over the next year, year and half at least.)

"where is the resistance, killzone, uncharted with Nate, heavenly sword 2 (they wouldn't too much beauty and skin) , bloodbourne 2 or similar, rpgs, colony wars , wipeout, warhawk, etc..... No where" - Resistance trilogy flopped and had 3 entries to turn things around. Heavenly Sword 2? The first one did nothing. Killzone peaked with the 2nd game and its next 2 games wren't all that. Uncharted had 4 games released in the span of 10 years and it's rumored to be making a come back. RPGs they have countless of them both by 3rd party japanese companies and exclusives like FFXVI, FFVII trilogy, etc...Sony never did RPGs outside of stuff like Legend of Dragoon that flopped. Bloodbourne 2 and the remake of the first game have been teased or rumored for a while now.

One last thing, PS4 only started firing on all cylinders by the time Uncharted 4 actually released, almost 3 years after PS4 released. Before that you had ...a 3rd party exclusive Bloodborne. PS5 has much more content at this point in its lifetime.

About "rising prices"...so did MS? In fact Gamepass is more expensive than PS Plus. Nintendo has the same console prices since 2017, lmao. Their games also barely have promos.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

nope. What happened with Nintendo when Xbox entered the Industry? They stop trying the 'graphics warz'. And when you see the trend of Nintendo's home console sales, they show a downward trend since Nintendo 64 (when Playstation entered the industry).

Wii (was an anomaly) captured the normies but the downward trend continued with the WiiU. With The Switch, they basically unified their development efforts in just one console (the handled market, supported by their own Marketing). So, when you add their historic handheld market size and their dwindling home console market size; you get Switch numbers.

And MS said they never made any money with Xbox hardware, so they've been subsidizing something that never worked on its own.

So, we see Devs/Publishers making decisions regarding the release of their games. A lot of AAA games skip the switch and no one gets triggered and if they release on it, they are subpar experiences.

AAA games usually release games on consoles and PC, with the latter usually having worse optimization and lacking features.

I just wonder if having a third console is actually a detriment for the industry's health.
Nintendo adapted and is very successful.

Xbox has literally nothing to seperate itself from it's competitors and with GamePass and Day 1 PC releases they dug their own grave.

Even Kinect was a nonsensical direction, as Playstation already had Eyetoy and realized it wasn't going to do much.
In fact, iirc, the company behind Kinect first approached Nintendo, got rejected, then turned to Sony and got rejected again, only to be picked up by MS because they had nothing innovative.
And then Kinect unsurprisingly became irrelevant.

MS is clueless, just like tv-tv-tv with Xbox One and their aim for 2 Billion GamePass subs because they think they can become the Netflix of gaming.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Dang! Xone was close to PS4 until the end of the gen. PS5 is widening it considerably in their market that's 50%+ of their worldwide sells.
It was much closer in the US than I thought, it explains why some Americans thought the new XBox could somehow beat the Playstation.

But then I never expected the XBox Series to do worse then XBox One: the hardware seems to be pretty good, most games run on a similar level as on Playstation, they have a cheap model, Gamepass seems fine... This results in their strongest market must be a real disappointment for the XBox team.

DavidGzz

For me, Xbox is a subscription service on my PC (which is awesome).
I don't have a Xbox, and have no need for one, but still their offerings/subscription is a lot more used than my playstation 5, which have only been a FF16-player this year.

i'm obviously in a minority here, but the Playstation stuff have been pretty disapointing since the release of PS5. Only Demon's Souls and Returnal have been must-haves for me, and not much concrete to look forward to. Hopefully they'll have some awesome announcements soon, which is not part of that GAAS shit.

Yep, it's about how much money we're giving them at the end of the day. Steam(games) and MS(Game Pass) get most of mine. Spiderman 2 was my first purchase in a long while on my PS5.

Reality is that if you have a decent PC, you don’t need to purchase an XBOX console because all XBOX exclusives are also on PC Day 1.

The future of XBOX is GamePass, not the console.

Let the console war kids get their laughs in. lol

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

OIP.oy0lDlbBGoIDp5x9GkfuiAAAAA

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Who?

And whoever it is you're asking about....that's really not what the topic is about.

Funny I keep seeing posts like this or similar pop up....when ppl are talking about hardware sales.
mostly asking about MS and how their revenue is looking. Hardware sales are certainly important but they (being ms) seem to have pivoted, at least in some degree, towards services as their long term plan. Just wondering if that is playing out and to what degree. Last I heard was that game pass was behind projections too but I wasn’t sure of revenue

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 gave a better response rather than just implying people are searching for some way of providing cover for ms. I’m certainly not.

yazenov

XBS trails behind XBO by 11%​

That's in the US, Xbox's strongest market.

Now imagine how much it will be down in Asia and Europe. I hope we get the figures outside of the US for a much broader picture of how much of a disaster the XBS is.

The $150 Series S is the first Xbox I've owned. Everytime I use it I can't believe how loud the directional pad is.
Throws me off every time.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
mostly asking about MS and how their revenue is looking. Hardware sales are certainly important but they (being ms) seem to have pivoted, at least in some degree, towards services as their long term plan. Just wondering if that is playing out and to what degree. Last I heard was that game pass was behind projections too but I wasn’t sure of revenue

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 gave a better response rather than just implying people are searching for some way of providing cover for ms. I’m certainly not.
You didnt even say which company you were talking about...

?

And I agree, they gave a much better answer.

Last edited:
Nintendo adapted and is very successful.
Are you suggesting that if Nintendo hadn't adapted, they would not have been successful? And why did they need to adapt in the first place?

The point is not that MS is incompetent or not (they are) the point is that the mere existence of Xbox Hardware (or any other console brand for that matter) has affected Nintendo's ability to compete in the same space as Play Station. in other words; the market demand is not high enough to sustain more than two similar consoles at once (Play Station and Xbox). Especially with higher development costs and complexity

Top Bottom