• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piscatella: In the US, PS5 is now trending 9% above PS4; XBS trails behind XBO by 11%

Wow, I figured something like this would happen just not this soon in the xboxs life. Microsoft hasn't released enough compelling software so far to make people get a series console but have also shot themselves in the foot by releasing games everywhere.
If it gets worse and worse then 3rd party is what I see in the future.

Killjoy-NL

Are you suggesting that if Nintendo hadn't adapted, they would not have been successful? And why did they need to adapt in the first place?
That's not what I'm suggesting at all.
It also doesn't matter why they had to adapt, because they did and are successful.

Not really sure what you're trying to argue here, when it's just facts?
The point is not that MS is incompetent or not (they are) the point is that the mere existence of Xbox Hardware (or any other console brand for that matter) has affected Nintendo's ability to compete in the same space as Play Station. in other words; the market demand is not high enough to sustain more than two similar consoles at once (Play Station and Xbox). Especially with higher development costs and complexity
Then you have to adapt, just like Nintendo did.

Nintendo and Playstation adapted and both are actively innovating within the console space. Both are extremely successful.
MS keeps failing to do so (properly) and actually makes counterproductive decisions each gen.

If MS had adapted in different ways, things could've been very different but since that's purely hypothetical, it's pointless to discuss what could've been had things been different.
But it's the way it is now, so all we can go by is the fact that Xbox is headed towards a dead end, because of their bad business decisions.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Has xbox series even sold 20m worldwide yet? Maybe they've shipped over 20m but actual sold may be under 20m still.
Depends on the difference b/w shipped and sold, of which I'm not sure about.

My estimates are still 22-23M shipped LTD at best, despite Welfare's estimates of 25-26M, which I don't think for a second is correct. I'm 100% confident in that.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Microsoft should probably advertise their console at some point..
I cant even remember the last time I saw an Xbox commercial.

Was there even Starfield commercials? I don't remember seeing any.

I think the last commercial I saw that featured Xbox was like... Back4Blood. No shit.

Yeah, this is really surprising to me. I weas expecting a HUGE commercial push for Starfield, bundles and limited edition consoles and I saw nothing. Nothing.

dem

Yeah, this is really surprising to me. I weas expecting a HUGE commercial push for Starfield, bundles and limited edition consoles and I saw nothing. Nothing.

I remember hearing how there was going to be a big media campaign for Halo Infinite as well. I don't remember a TV commercial for that either.

It's like they've totally given up on marketing.

Last edited:

Klayzer

To me, that's the most shocking area of neglect. During peak 360, Xbox commercials were on constantly. Wonder if the rumors were true, of a marketing budget cut.

BbMajor7th

kwFY2tb.jpg
This was always Phil's biggest problem: he's like a jilted lover who's spent the last ten years wondering how he can 'win her back'. Obsessing over the new guy she's fucking and trying to prove how much better he is. Now he's entered that reckless phase of making ridiculous purchases and being like 'Babe, come chill at mine, I've got a Bethesda and Activision'.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
To me, that's the most shocking area of neglect. During peak 360, Xbox commercials were on constantly. Wonder if the rumors were true, of a marketing budget cut.
Two words: Marketing budget. They don't have much of it anymore.

It is one of the most under-the-radar things right now, but Microsoft has pretty much squeezed Xbox's budget. The Xbox division is on a very tight leash.

The craziest part is that Microsoft entered this generation with an even lower barrier to entry with Xbox All Access. So even if you didn’t have the money up front you could have gotten one for less than $40 a month with GamePass.

Porticus

It is one of the most under-the-radar things right now, but Microsoft has pretty much squeezed Xbox's budget. The Xbox division is on a very tight leash.

Yeah I've to say that as of late the Xbox budget division is really dry and squeezed, they would only dream about the one that SIE gets from Sony, especially the marketing one instead they need to go forward with Wonka wraps.

Klayzer

Head scratching decisions. Microsoft spends a unbelievable amount on acquisitions, but squeeze the marketing budget.

Last edited:

Brucey

The craziest part is that Microsoft entered this generation with an even lower barrier to entry with Xbox All Access. So even if you didn’t have the money up front you could have gotten one for less than $40 a month with GamePass.
There was/is a credit check for that.

Brucey

Yeah but even if you have mid to good credit it’s easier to pay over time than drop $500 all at once. Same way with phones, hardly anyone actual drops $999 for an iPhone day one.
Series S has already been at $150 for Verizon customers, console price/affordability is an issue of the past imo. It's not an X but for the casuals/Gamepasses I don't think it matters.

nick776

Microsoft just seems to not get it. Take the controller for example. It has remained largely unchanged for a decade. They likely could have released the new "sebile" controller this year and boosted sales somewhat because some people choose PS5 Multiplatform games JUST for the DualSense. However, they did not. Instead, they try to sell us new iterations of the same garbage controller just in new colors.

Brucey

Microsoft just seems to not get it. Take the controller for example. It has remained largely unchanged for a decade. They likely could have released the new "sebile" controller this year and boosted sales somewhat because some people choose PS5 Multiplatform games JUST for the DualSense. However, they did not. Instead, they try to sell us new iterations of the same garbage controller just in new colors.
What's crazy is that they think/thought that a new more immersive controller could replace an actual Pro mid gen upgrade.

nick776

What's crazy is that they think/thought that a new more immersive controller could replace an actual Pro mid gen upgrade.
You know, I slap forgot that Microsoft is NOT doing a Pro console either. Yeah, that is incredibly dumb. Assuming PS5 Pro is real, there is no way I will buy third party games on Series X (I own all 3 systems).

Well there's speculation that Microsoft doesn't have a mid gen console because they are starting next gen early.

To be fair I have no idea how that will end for them. It could either give them a sizeable sales advantage or tank the brand even further.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't think Microsoft care about console sales. If they did, they wouldn't put all first party titles on PC the same day as consoles.

It's not really surprising. Microsoft is a software giant first and they've also never made a profit on the Xbox console.

I wouldn't be shocked if they put all their first party software on every available device, including Sony and Nintendo consoles, and just drop out the console race completely.

It would be a sad day for the industry if that happened and somebody else would have to come in and fill the void.

They said they had sold 21 million xbox series consoles worldwide in july. Does this mean they are selling almost 50% of their consoles out of the US now?

Brucey

Well there's speculation that Microsoft doesn't have a mid gen console because they are starting next gen early.

To be fair I have no idea how that will end for them. It could either give them a sizeable sales advantage or tank the brand even further.
It's possible they cut the gen short like the OG Xbox, but really for those that want more performance than the series x can provide, it's just a gpu upgrade away on PC.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think Microsoft care about console sales. If they did, they wouldn't put all first party titles on PC the same day as consoles.

It's not really surprising. Microsoft is a software giant first and they've also never made a profit on the Xbox console.

I wouldn't be shocked if they put all their first party software on every available device, including Sony and Nintendo consoles, and just drop out the console race completely.

It would be a sad day for the industry if that happened and somebody else would have to come in and fill the void.
They do care about console sales.

- They made Redfall, HiFi Rush, Hellblade 2, Starfield console exclusives to increase console sales.
- They subsidized Series consoles with $1.5 billion to increase console sales.
- Phil has confirmed that “console is critical to the future of Xbox.”
- Internal leaked emails show Nadella inquiring about Xbox console sales and market share to ensure “we’re not falling behind.”

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Doing worse than the Xbox One three years into the generation is a disaster.

Price cut + heavy bundling might be the best way out. Not to mention more aggressive deals for content.

Gap will only widen this Christmas after the Spiderman bundle starts doing the work.
It’s over for this gen they will be solid third. The only way out for them is an early release of next gen at a loss.

Next gen Zen 4 / 4k/120 capable native without performance modes. 1tb with a consumer replaceable SSD, and make it a console pc crossover. Not only do you get all the console games, but plug in a mouse : keyboard and play pc games. RTS / MMORPG games.

This is the only way to one up Sony at this point. Exclusives are great but they have to offer something different.

Sure they make money still and that’s king but big wigs are not going to be happy tossing mass cash to be last place consistently

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

- They made Redfall, HiFi Rush, Hellblade 2, Starfield console exclusives to increase console sales.
- Internal leaked emails show Nadella inquiring about Xbox console sales and market share to ensure “we’re not falling behind.”
You need to sell more boxes to sell more subs. They go hand in hand when it's the main vehicle for the casuals you market it to.

Don't listen to damage control, people.

Yup

Microsoft always cares about these metrics until they fail to deliver on them, then they just move goal posts

First it was console sales, then monthly active users, then “engagement” of users

It’s one big shifting goal post and under the surface they absolutely care about what they claim to now ignore

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Phil says a lot of things, so we'll leave that out.

You make some great points, especially with the Bethesda games.

I'm still not 100% convinced. Why put first party games on PC day one with Xbox? It means more people are playing, but I know a few people who didn't purchase an Xbox this gen because they could play the same games on their PC.

Why buy Activision, but say no Activision titles will be Xbox exclusive? Making COD and Diablo exclusive to Xbox (and PC) would do wonders to Xbox console sales.

Wow just wow. Absolute failure as Phil Spencer moves up within Microsoft.

Their problem is who do you promote? Phil hasn't worked out. Who would they give the job to?

Most PlayStation CEOs made total sense. They knew the business inside and out, kept their trap shut and kept their foot on their competitors' throats.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I'm still not 100% convinced. Why put first party games on PC day one with Xbox? It means more people are playing, but I know a few people who didn't purchase an Xbox this gen because they could play the same games on their PC.
Bad decisions. Same thing with putting games on Game Pass day one. May seem like a good decision, but is more damaging in the long-term.

Same thing with introducing Series S. Seemed like a good decision, but now they're even behind XBO in sales and can't launch a Pro, which will put them even more behind when PS5 Pro launches.
Why buy Activision, but say no Activision titles will be Xbox exclusive? Making COD and Diablo exclusive to Xbox (and PC) would do wonders to Xbox console sales.
They will make the next Diablo exclusive. They couldn't make Diablo 4 exclusive as it launched before the acquisition closed and was already announced for PlayStation.

They can't make COD exclusive for 10 years, even if they want to. They tried doing it -- Xbox offered Sony only a 3-year guarantee for COD's multiplatform existence -- but they had to concede 10 years when regulatory authorities got involved.

So far as we know, they are only contractually obliged to release COD on PlayStation. Their strategy appears to be to starve PlayStation of content. I suspect there'll be a lot of ABK games going exclusive. Horrible decision.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Their problem is who do you promote? Phil hasn't worked out. Who would they give the job to?

Most PlayStation CEOs made total sense. They knew the business inside and out, kept their trap shut and kept their foot on their competitors' throats.
At this point, it has to be an outside hire.

Anybody who has worked internally for 10 years will be tainted with the same mindset. You need fresh ideas to topple everything and build anew.

But to be fair, this is a demolished building that just can't be renovated anymore. Going third-party is the only viable option for them at this point, no matter what leaders they pick. Unless Microsoft gives them 10-15 more years to right the ship. In that case, having a good outside leader can make a difference.

Ansphn

Someone besides Phil. They picked the right guys before. For example, Peter Moore was great.

Microsoft is better off just buying the CODs, Minecrafts, Assassin‘s Creeds, etc… games that can be spat out every year. Easy guaranteed revenue.

This isn't the US obviously but it looks like trend is the same in UK. Granted it's MoM instead of YoY comparison.

How can you decrease 33% in October, when your console is turning 3 years old only...and on your second biggest market? How much is this selling everywhere else then?

This console is stalling by January 2024, my god...
At this point i'm expecting this to end up around 40/45M consoles sold...which is a tragedy considering the price and the fact they have 2 units on sale, many times at a discount.

PS5 decreasing 4% is not weird considering the new model coming out this month though.

Ozriel

M$FT
It’s over for this gen they will be solid third. The only way out for them is an early release of next gen at a loss.

Next gen Zen 4 / 4k/120 capable native without performance modes. 1tb with a consumer replaceable SSD, and make it a console pc crossover. Not only do you get all the console games, but plug in a mouse : keyboard and play pc games. RTS / MMORPG games.

This is the only way to one up Sony at this point. Exclusives are great but they have to offer something different.

Sure they make money still and that’s king but big wigs are not going to be happy tossing mass cash to be last place consistently

They don’t need to one-up Sony at all. Not sure why this keeps coming up.

They just need to be selling better than they are now, and they need to make the brand much more attractive to consumers.
Most people won’t buy a Xbox over a PlayStation console, for many valid reasons.
There also isn’t really any scenario where they’ll have console hardware leadership since their games are being take off console dependence day 1.

I don’t think Phil has what it takes, so probably time he leaves for someone who’s willing to push harder.

Their strategy appears to be to starve PlayStation of content. I suspect there'll be a lot of ABK games going exclusive. Horrible decision.

Isn’t that the cut-throat competition you lauded earlier?

That said, I don’t believe that’s the strategy, and they’ll likely be keeping established franchises like Overwatch, Diablo etc multiplatform. With the focus on COD, ABK doesn’t make that many diverse games anymore, so exclusives from them will be a trickle.

They don’t need to one-up Sony at all. Not sure why this keeps coming up.

They just need to be selling better than they are now, and they need to make the brand much more attractive to consumers.
Most people won’t buy a Xbox over a PlayStation console, for many valid reasons.
There also isn’t really any scenario where they’ll have console hardware leadership since their games are being take off console dependence day 1.

I don’t think Phil has what it takes, so probably time he leaves for someone who’s willing to push harder.

Isn’t that the cut-throat competition you lauded earlier?

That said, I don’t believe that’s the strategy, and they’ll likely be keeping established franchises like Overwatch, Diablo etc multiplatform. With the focus on COD, ABK doesn’t make that many diverse games anymore, so exclusives from them will be a trickle.

I don't consider it cut throat if it doesn't make financial sense. They've chucked tens of billions at that company and it needs to stand on its own feet, as should each studio and IP.

Sony's decisions have always made financial sense. They've grown and got more from every dollar spent than Microsoft.

That's why they've kept Bungie multiplat. ABK and Bethesda made their money by being multiplat (and Bethesda were even in a precarious position even being so) so taking away the largest relevant userbase for their games is a financially dumb move.

skit_data

I really don't see how he's still employed. Everything he does makes the company look bad.
Indeed. Greenberg exudes a lot of the energy that puts me off the brand personally (being overly confident in the products excellence relative to the competitors, overpromising yet failing to deliver a little too many times). It doesn't speak to me but I can see how it does to some.

What's interesting is that it clashes completely with the stance Phil has adopted on an official level (play anywhere, console wars are bad, exclusive games are bad etc.) which sort of leads to a feeling of cognitive dissonace in the whole marketing aspect of the brand.

Actually that pretty much sums up a lot of why I think the brand might be on a downturn - cognitive dissonance permeates the messaging.
One day the Series X is the bees knees, the next day the console is irrelevant because you only need a Samsung TV. One day exclusives are bad and an effort to stifle competition, the other day it's a necessary evil and we need to buy big publishers and make their games exclusive in order to compete.

Wheter they want the consoles to sell or to go towards a more platform agnostic direction you really can't have the cake and eat it too and Greenberg eats a lot of cake (no pun intended).

Last edited:

NickFire

I really don't see how he's still employed. Everything he does makes the company look bad.
I've always assumed he was the bag man between the top people and the flock of evangelicals that push the talking points on social media and forums. Pure guess. Best I can think of.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Unknown?

That would do more harm to those franchises than it would benefit their console sells.

MrTired

How can you decrease 33% in October, when your console is turning 3 years old only...and on your second biggest market? How much is this selling everywhere else then?

This console is stalling by January 2024, my god...
At this point i'm expecting this to end up around 40/45M consoles sold...which is a tragedy considering the price and the fact they have 2 units on sale, many times at a discount.

PS5 decreasing 4% is not weird considering the new model coming out this month though.
To be fair that's MoM decrease not YoY. However decreasing by a third is not good which ever way you cut it.

UK oct 2023

PS5 ~97K (~+58% yoy)

X|S ~40K (~ -40% yoy)

NSW ~36K

Do we have a source for those numbers? Horseganador Horseganador

Last edited:
Top Bottom