• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel Junk Eden Thread of Spreading that Videogame Seed of Love

Durante

Dorfdad said:
These types of games remind me of Nintendo's new casual gamers rule stance..
Except this game is not really all that accessible and actually has engaging gameplay. It's no more "casual" than any platformer -- probably less so because of the strong and unusual artistic direction.

Dorfdad said:
Hated it myself but im not an artsy fartsy guy either..
I... see.

HiVision

Dorfdad said:
Mind you this is just my opinion but it seems many GAF members have gone soft.. These types of games remind me of Nintendo's new casual gamers rule stance..

Hated it myself but im not an artsy fartsy guy either.. So im not excited for this one. Day none for me...

Doesn't sound like you played it.

RobertM said:
It's cool that they're adding youtube uploading tools, but I don't see this game needing it.

It's a feature I'd love to see in something like Stardust, but I'm glad Q-Games is implementing it if not just to try it out for future titles.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PixelJunk games are the most hardcore games u can find around. And PixelJunk Eden is no different.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
YES! YES! YES! THE TV IS NOT OCCUPIED ANYMORE!

GOOD BYE GUYS! I'M OFF TO PLAY SOME FUCKING EDEEEEEEEEEN.

Zeliard

Dorfdad said:
Mind you this is just my opinion but it seems many GAF members have gone soft.. These types of games remind me of Nintendo's new casual gamers rule stance..

Hated it myself but im not an artsy fartsy guy either.. So im not excited for this one. Day none for me...

What the fuck is this?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
No im not a big art guy for games and while yes I like good graphics games like this and flow, and Loco Roco while cute and fun for short periods just do not seem to fit my style of gameplay granted you guys love em but it seems that we are slowly losing all the CORE games to these quicker games... I understand why just don't like it...

Yes I played it just not my style Ill give it another go just for the gaffers and maybe Ill eat some crow...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
RobertM said:
It's cool that they're adding youtube uploading tools, but I don't see this game needing it.

Wait for the speed runs to pop up then we talk again

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
plays pretty decent on remote play even.

2mq85rl.jpg

2em0dav.jpg

2gtxh55.jpg

2ufa8t1.jpg

149d2ec.jpg

2myogn5.jpg

Struct09

Dorfdad said:
No im not a big art guy for games and while yes I like good graphics games like this and flow, and Loco Roco while cute and fun for short periods just do not seem to fit my style of gameplay granted you guys love em but it seems that we are slowly losing all the CORE games to these quicker games... I understand why just don't like it...

Yes I played it just not my style Ill give it another go just for the gaffers and maybe Ill eat some crow...

Quicker games? How much did you play?

I feel the opposite you do. The game doesn't have the accessible look or feel that Nintendo's casual games do. I can't imagine any of my casual friends and family who only play Wii Sports and Wii Fit ever getting into this game. Hell, I was confused the first time I saw video of the game, it's hard to figure out what's going on.

Eden is definitely for the core audience.

Zeliard

RobertM said:
Sure there'll be that, but there are more important games that are in need of this feature.

The single biggest missed opportunity of the generation so far is GTA4 failing to have any sort of saved films feature. If there was ever one game that needed it, that's the one.

Dorfdad said:

You don't even understand the definition of the word "core," do you?

This game, (like pretty much every Pixel Junk title,) is about as "core game for the core gamer" as games get these days.

It's a pretty damn hardcore platformer the likes of which don't see often enough anymore.

Having just finished playing the demo, I'm totally sold.

Once the controls click with you, it takes off. Once you get it, you realize how solid the controls really are, and you can just fly around the stage.

Co-op in this game is going to be awesome. Can't wait for my girlfriend to get here to try it out.

I didn't expect the music to be this good either. Perfect for the look/feel of the game.

dk_

I really enjoyed the demo and it's without a doubt day 1 for me. Thanks you developers for that gem. :D

No online coop in the full version is a bummer though.

Evander

"industry expert"
Dorfdad said:

"Core Game" isn't a genre. It's not like there is any single game that every single "core gamer" likes.

So you are personally an FPS man or an RPG man, or whatever. No one is saying that you have to like platformers, but if you're going to dismiss a game as being casual just because it has bright colors you have ZERO idea what you are talking about.

insta purchase for me, I absolutely love the demo, its a beautiful little game, I got used to the controls and objectives, the timer is not too fast which I like. day 1, cant wait.

fronn

Dorfdad said:

I have a feeling that if Nintendo's new push towards Casual games were made from games like Eden, I don't think anyone would complain. Eden is far from a casual game though... it's a niche game, really.

We would be so lucky if Nintendo started making titles like Eden instead of Wii Music...

dk_

dreamer3kx said:
insta purchase for me, I absolutely love the demo, its a beautiful little game, I got used to the controls and objectives, the timer is not too fast which I like. day 1, cant wait.
Yeah this is what forget to mention in my post. Normally, I hate games with a timer, but I think here in PJE it's perfectly fine for me.

Zeliard

I do wish there was an option to disable the timer in the full version of Eden. It's not too bad in this game's case, but being forced to essentially rush through a level or an entire game at the game's pace rather than your own is probably my biggest gaming pet peeve.

As a general rule, I'm very wary of any game with some sort of timer or time retraint in it, even otherwise excellent ones. Even a game like Fallout, great as it is, was pissing me off until the patch came out that removed that shitty time limit. Having said all that, Eden will have to do a lot worse to turn me off from it, since it does virtually everything else right.

Stryder

After playing the demo my want for a PS3 has grown even more.

I'm just waiting on until they bring out the new 80gb sku! .. hurrrry up Sony!!

The co-op isn't bad either, I thought it would get annoying with players dieing for being off the screen but it isn't too bad, the other player kind of acts like a save point if one drops off, and if you want you can save them by diving down yourself before the timer expires.

Definite buy for me once I have the platform.

sholmes

Neo Member
dk_ said:
Yeah this is what forget to mention in my post. Normally, I hate games with a timer, but I think here in PJE it's perfectly fine for me.

I think the difference between Eden's timer and typical games is that the timer in Eden seems like it can be easily extended. Typical games make it a constant race to extend the time which turns the game more into a chore.

The difficulty in Eden isn't really in getting seeds (or whatever they're called) to extend the time, but rather, the difficulty is in getting pre-occupied climbing and jumping and then forgetting about the timer.

Poigea

Day 1 for me. I LOVED the demo!

Is the full game going to be a patch to unlock the demo? Should I keep the demo downloaded? I don't want to keep playing and "spoil" the full game. If I delete the demo, it will be easier to stay away until next week.

sholmes

Neo Member
Poigea said:
Day 1 for me. I LOVED the demo!

Is the full game going to be a patch to unlock the demo? Should I keep the demo downloaded? I don't want to keep playing and "spoil" the full game. If I delete the demo, it will be easier to stay away until next week.

If you play the 3rd garden and get one of the spectras, the demo will lock itself permanently. So, just be aware because I am disappointed that I can't play it more since I still have many of the spectras available to be found. Maybe if I delete the game's system data...

EDIT: Yup, deleting the save data eliminates the lock.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seriously, the game is tough as nails, just like PJM before it, and based around very distilled platforming gameplay. It's the polar opposite of anything casual.

Dorfdad said:

Nintendo would charge $60 and you're wrong.

What's going on on the PSN these last week, Elefunk, Eden, Ratchet & Clank, it's a good thing that Wipeout is delayed, this shit is ruining me :(

Liked it quite a bit, more than I thought I would. Actually pretty different than Wik, which I'm glad for. The impact of the visuals were way nicer than I expected.

Zeliard

For those who have tried co-op, can it be somewhat bothersome as the 1UP guys made it seem, how if your friend falls the camera tracks them all the way down and your guy up top gets screwed? Does that happen often?

sonicmj1

sholmes said:
If you play the 3rd garden and get one of the spectras, the demo will lock itself permanently. So, just be aware because I am disappointed that I can't play it more since I still have many of the spectras available to be found. Maybe if I delete the game's system data...

EDIT: Yup, deleting the save data eliminates the lock.

Not quite how it works. The lock occurs once you get 5 spectra from any combination of levels.

My first time through, I got one spectra in Garden 2, and four in Garden 1, and my demo wouldn't let me do any more.

Zeliard

Given how amazing both Monsters and especially Eden are, I'm really starting to wonder about Cars now, which I've never played. I know that was their first Pixeljunk game, but how can it possibly be that bad considering how good the other two are?

Crisis

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
There's nothing more heartbreaking than missing hitting a branch and falling all the way down to the bottom of the level. :(

:lol

It's amazing how fast you can be relaxed and just enjoying the experience one moment but one badly-placed jump sends you tumbling all the way to the bottom of the level. And your fucking metronome is low. And you're fucked. Then you get mad and start swearing.

tanod

when is my burrito
Dorfdad said:

Difference between Sony/MS and Nintendo:

Nintendo often charges $50 for what you find on XBL and PSN for $10.

Top Bottom