• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Eden $0.99 Steam sale huge sucess, made entire income in 8 hours

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They matched the entire previous income for the PC version, the game as a whole, or for the studio as a whole?

Probably the PC port and initial development. Does need to be made more clear, however.

I ain't one of the sales, got it for like $5 on PSN and never touched it after trying the demo and thinking "oh, yeah, maybe I'll like it" and... not really caring for it. Not a bad game, just not for me.

I did vote on that $.99 sale though. Simply because it was just ludicrous of a price for the title.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm not entirely sure why people are interpreting my tweets to Dylan as harsh / mean or unpleasant, I'm just being inquisitive.
I've been speaking on and off with Dylan for a really really long time on twitter, if anything he knows I'm a pretty big fan, I believe he was the one who told he guys over at DoubleEleven to hook me up with a beta copy of PJM:Ultimate Deluxe for PC (it looks amazing at 30" - I posted some shots of it a few weeks before it came out, I ended up being listed in the games credits)

As for people interpreting the port begging as me being an ass, it's almost a running joke I have with him now. I ask for more of X game on whatever platform, since you know, I like the shit out of his games? Then he plays coy and says "maybe". We've spoken back and forth so long and frequently, I badgered him for more Pixel Junk Monsters for so long, something finally happened, there's always a nod and a wink with the tweets.

Either way the important thing is this is great news for the Q-Games guys, I'm definitely surprised (as is apparent in the tweets) that at even $1 a copy this raked in so much revenue, really good news. Now if only people would pick up Pixel Junk Monsters Ultimate for PC too, please keep @leehutch1212 and the DoubleEleven guys who did the awesome port in some new years funding too I imagine. (plus PJM: Ultimate is genuinely bloody awesome)

Finally for those asking, I have a PS3, PS4 and PC - I'm asking for ports of games I already own because I like them so much and want to support Q-Games.
Cheers.

If anyone wants to follow other stuff Dylan is doing, he posts under "HiVision" here on GAF too.

abrasion seems like a massive Sony fanboy that hates anything that doesn't have Sony on it.

And great news for the developers, success stories are always awesome.

mr2xxx

Banned
And people complain that consumer friendly prices/services like Steam sales & PS+ hurt these companies LOL. They are big boys who chose to do these things and guess what it benefits them as demonstrated by this OP.

yuraya

Simple consumer psychology. Its much more likely that 10 people will instantly buy a game for 99 cents than it is that 1 person will buy a game for $10. Developers out there who are struggling to sell their games should consider doing the exact same thing. Its a win/win for both developers and gamers.

Steam sales are so good

antitrop

Probably sitting somewhere between 750,000 and 850,000 total sales.

http://dayzgame.com/

Website shows almost 700,000 but that only reflects those that log in and make a character.
Bohemia:

tumblr_mx2f4s3pXz1siosiko1_400.gif

YPAFa8p.gif

EbctJwV.gif

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I'm not entirely sure why people are interpreting my tweets to Dylan as harsh / mean or unpleasant, I'm just being inquisitive.
I've been speaking on and off with Dylan for a really really long time on twitter, if anything he knows I'm a pretty big fan, I believe he was the one who told he guys over at DoubleEleven to hook me up with a beta copy of PJM:Ultimate Deluxe for PC (it looks amazing at 30" - I posted some shots of it a few weeks before it came out, I ended up being listed in the games credits)

As for people interpreting the port begging as me being an ass, it's almost a running joke I have with him now. I ask for more of X game on whatever platform, since you know, I like the shit out of his games? Then he plays coy and says "maybe". We've spoken back and forth so long and frequently, I badgered him for more Pixel Junk Monsters for so long, something finally happened, there's always a nod and a wink with the tweets.

Either way the important thing is this is great news for the Q-Games guys, I'm definitely surprised (as is apparent in the tweets) that at even $1 a copy this raked in so much revenue, really good news. Now if only people would pick up Pixel Junk Monsters Ultimate for PC too, please keep @leehutch1212 and the DoubleEleven guys who did the awesome port in some new years funding too I imagine. (plus PJM: Ultimate is genuinely bloody awesome)

Finally for those asking, I have a PS3, PS4 and PC - I'm asking for ports of games I already own because I like them so much and want to support Q-Games.
Cheers.

If anyone wants to follow other stuff Dylan is doing, he posts under "HiVision" here on GAF too.

HiVision, what do you really think of wizzbang?

wizzbang

Banned
HiVision, what do you really think of wizzbang?

I think the big conspiracy can end people, relax.
http://i.imgur.com/eEvga0b.png
http://i.imgur.com/5bUNomN.jpg

Great, we get it Abrasion, you hate $.99.

It just makes me sad the poor bastards have to drop the price of good games to $1 - I'm glad as fuck they made money but it's just a crying shame a game like Eden is $1 (in some ways I think it's one of their best games, it's the most unique, best soundtrack, visually stunning - hell it had youtube fucking uploads LONG before many other games)

Looking forward to PixelJunk Inc.

I am too, I've got to be honest, my 2 fave PJ games are Eden and Monsters - the earlier stuff by todays standards. I picked up Shooter 1 and 2 on PS3 I think but never got them on steam. :/ I want to support them but I prefer their quirkier / odd games. Not just traditional normal games that shooter / sidescroller is you know? Inc looks like a return to form for quirkyness.

I also have a feeling that we'll see more Monsters eventually, no idea what platform(s) but I just think it'll eventually happen. It's still the best tower defense game made (and kind of insulting to reduce Monsters to mere tower defense too)

Sentenza

Finally for those asking, I have a PS3, PS4 and PC - I'm asking for ports of games I already own because...
I hope you are not actually trying to play the card "I have all these platforms and this makes me very neutral".
Please, don't. Just don't.
Not when you just twitted something like this:

j5jEOjAyZsroU.png

I hope you are not actually trying to play the card "I have all these platforms and this makes me very neutral".

j5jEOjAyZsroU.png

Why do I get the feeling you wouldn't have gone all Poirot on him if he didn't go after PC stuff

I mean I think he should go on a sodium free diet for a while but camon

wizzbang

Banned

j5jEOjAyZsroU.png

I was accused of only having a PS4, I don't just have a PS4.
I have pretty much given up PC gaming. Q-Games have gone exactly the opposite direction in the past 18 months, with more attention to PC than the consoles.
Is it a problem asking him to support the consoles too is it?

Why do I get the feeling you wouldn't have gone all Poirot on him if he didn't go after PC stuff

PC got whipped and beaten and hassled and thrashed for 10 years by console gamers and a lot of people not taking it seriously. Now the PC and steam has gained some real huge traction and it's fucking awesome for PC gamers and it's arguably probably better than ever.

Except there's still this sensitive PC defense squad or worse the "elite PC gamer master race" - if you don't love the PC you must be on the other side!
I might be a bit over PC gaming lately but I'm INCREDIBLY over the vocal PC gamers themselves, some of the shit I've seen spewed on the internet in the last 24 months has made me never ever want to return.

Bought 4 copies in addition to my own and hooked up friends with it.

I think I picked up 2 copies of PJM:U and Eden for friends on the PC,... you know the platform I apparently detest.

Hint:
it's not the platform, it's the bitchy users.

Elvick

Banned
It's a shame. The 'Steam Beast' he refers to, but it is how it is. I bet mobile is similar.

But hey, $1 from someone who wouldn't have ever bought your game anyway is better than $0 from them. People buy games they may not even play at that price "just in case". I know I do, which is why I try to avoid Steam now. Especially if I can't swing the sales.

I get the reasoning behind it, but I'm sure they lost some $5 sales or higher priced sales during that $1 period as well. But there's no real win/win situation. And building a brand is pretty important and valuable as well. Especially since the next game is on PC.

More proof that games on PSN just don't sell all that well for some reason.
Not really.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

j5jEOjAyZsroU.png

Welp x 2.

I don't know why you're bothering trying to explain yourself, wizzbang. That string of tweets was pretty embarrassing and your agenda was obvious. It's for the better if you just ignore it.

wizzbang

Banned
Welp x 2.

I don't know why you're bothering trying to explain yourself, wizzbang. That string of tweets was pretty embarrassing and your agenda was obvious. It's for the better if you just ignore it.

Please tell me exactly what my "agenda" is, I'm quite curious.
Infact, tell me how tweeting a request for a developer can't not be interpreted as an agenda in the first place? ,.........
Seriously.

Except there's still this sensitive PC defense squad or worse the "elite PC gamer master race" - if you don't love the PC you must be on the other side!
I might be a bit over PC gaming lately but I'm INCREDIBLY over the vocal PC gamers themselves, some of the shit I've seen spewed on the internet in the last 24 months has made me never ever want to return.

I won't deny that the PC gaming community has been vocal, it's necessary to be so when going up against console marketing and rabid company fan bases. I have been very vocal myself and I will continue to be so every time someone tries to spread lies and misinformation in order to hurt the PC platform or make consoles look good. However, sometimes what people perceive as PC elitism is simply a stating of facts, like saying that nextgen consoles have relatively weak hardware.

Anyway, asking the developer for a port to your chosen platform is fine, but you have to see the developer's side as well. When he matches his whole income within a few hours by selling on Steam, he will focus on the platform that brings in the cash.

Sentenza

I wouldn't call it "going Poirot", I didn't dig for some obscure stuff. It's the same conversation in the OP ( just an additional twitter that wasn't posted there).

And you are free to have all the feelings in the world, by the way.

I wouldn't call it "going Poirot", I didn't dig for some obscure stuff. It's the same conversation in the OP ( just an additional twitter that wasn't posted there).

And you are free to have all the feelings in the world, by the way.

You could've just said yes and saved a lot of time trying to explain it, you know. It's not like it's a magical secret, or hell, even a bad thing.

wizzbang

Banned
I won't deny that the PC gaming community has been vocal, it's necessary to be so when going up against console marketing and rabid company fan bases. I have been very vocal myself and I will continue to be so every time someone tries to spread lies and misinformation in order to hurt the PC platform or make consoles look good. However, sometimes what people perceive as PC elitism is simply a stating of facts, like saying that nextgen consoles have relatively weak hardware.

Anyway, asking the developer for a port to your chosen platform is fine, but you have to see the developer's side as well. When he matches his whole income within a few hours by selling on Steam, he will focus on the platform that brings in the cash.

I see his side, I'm certainly not asking him to drop PC, I'm just hoping he sticks with PS3/PS4 as well. I'm glad you say it's fine, a lot of PC gamers seem to be in a constant state of threatened.

Bear in mind here, Monsters got big on the PS3, it was the best coop game for the PS3 for the longest time really. Now, many years later, you can get PJM:Ultimate for Vita and PC and I think Mac and Linux but the PS3 is now infact the inferior copy, it's a tad sad - but he does need to follow the money.

I think the thing is, I'm like an ex-smoker you know? I did my time on the internet trenches 10 years ago, blindly hating on consoles as I did, for so so long and when I finally gave them a chance I realised they were awesome. Now I have to endure threads where PC gamers like to stomp into a console discussions like GTA5 threads here and tell everyone "yeah but ultimately it's going to be shit compared to the PC version" it gets tiring you know?

I don't think Dylan is going to ignore the PS4 regardless. The PC is getting fucking swamppppppppppppppped with software right now, releasing games on a tighter platform with less games (PS4) may equate to more sales.
We'll see, good luck to them either way. I hope DoubleEleven make it good too, Leigh is a fellow greensmoothie nutcase :)

Noogy

Congrats to the PJ team! I've seen first hand what these sorts of sales can do, so I know they've got to be celebrating over there.

Now please... Shooter 2. I've got space on my HDD.

Sentenza

You could've just said yes and saved a lot of time trying to explain it, you know. It's not like it's a magical secret
Actually the answer would be "no".

That said , I also didn't feel any particular urge to justify myself with you, nor I care too much about how you can feel about it.

Hey I bought the game and soundtrack for $1.50. I couldn't resist myself. Glad to see Dylan and co. make their money back from that one Community Choice sale. Love to see more Pixeljunk games come to Steam.

wizzbang

Banned
Dude isn't living in reality if he thinks a $5 game on a platform that is currently supply limited will make more money than a $1 game on Steam.

At what point did I make that claim? Please re-read the tweets and show me where I even slightly implied there would be more money on the PS4.
Why do people play jump to conclusions on the internet so much? Is it just fun to be detectives or something?

coldfoot

Banned
When he matches his whole income within a few hours by selling on Steam, he will focus on the platform that brings in the cash.
His tweets say nothing about how much income it brings on PC vs. other platforms. He matched his 1.5 years of income on Steam in 8 hours with the sale. Stop insinuating that Steam brings more income than other platforms for pixeljunk games, we don't know that.

wizzbang

Banned
His tweets say nothing about how much income it brings on PC vs. other platforms. He matched his 1.5 years of income on Steam in 8 hours with the sale.

I know people are convinced I hate the PC, regardless, I must point this out (since he replied again to me on twitter)
If I'm reading it correctly, they made their entire income for only pixel junk eden again through this sale. Therefore they doubled their PJ:E Steam income.

That doesn't tell us how many sales or how much income Eden had previously in the time it's been on steam. I'm glad he's happy but for all we know, perhaps Eden has only ever brought in $25k and he's now sold another $25k worth of Eden. We may not be talking huge figures here.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I got it for $1. Probably the only way I was going to get it since I already played it on PS3 and don't like double dipping.

His tweets say nothing about how much income it brings on PC vs. other platforms. He matched his 1.5 years of income on Steam in 8 hours with the sale. Stop insinuating that Steam brings more income than other platforms for pixeljunk games, we don't know that.

Hello there coldfoot, happy holidays!

wizzbang

Banned
Chill buddy, I didn't go all Sam Spade on you, I read a tweet in the OP. You went for tweet after tweet about $1 being no way to make money then suggest a $5 port on a platform with few users for the time being. I read into that being your solution to the problem, that's all.

My poor PS4 has no games, I know this is REALLY dumb because the PS3 is right next to it, but it's just like - it would be nice to have more on the PS4, even if that means re-buying stuff I own. Why? I don't know.... I'd gladly sling $15 Q's way for Eden and Monsters on my PS4. I probably wouldn't even play them much but I'd know they are there.

This whole thread, what am I doing, I SHOULD fire up a game of Eden in honor of this thread I think.

hesido

Back to the topic, I think it should be obvious by now that the game wouldn't make as much if it started with 0.99$. The perceived value has to be set higher for the reduced price game to sell as many. So they weren't wrong when they priced it high to begin with.

Wizzbang, people think you speak ill of PC because during your twitter exchanges you focused more on how the PC version couldn't be making any money at $1 rather than simply asking for a PS4 port. It made it seem like you were hostile towards the platform, surely you can understand how one would get that idea. After all, your favorite platform actually gives away games in exchange for subscription money, have you ever expressed doubts on that policy?

Back to the topic, I think it should be obvious by now that the game wouldn't make as much if it started with 0.99$. The perceived value has to be set higher for the reduced price game to sell as many. So they weren't wrong when they priced it high to begin with.

Valve have said so themselves, dropping the price for limited promotions is more effective than a very low price to begin with. It has something to do with perceived value I believe.

Zinthar

I know people are convinced I hate the PC, regardless, I must point this out (since he replied again to me on twitter)
If I'm reading it correctly, they made their entire income for only pixel junk eden again through this sale. Therefore they doubled their PJ:E Steam income.

That doesn't tell us how many sales or how much income Eden had previously in the time it's been on steam. I'm glad he's happy but for all we know, perhaps Eden has only ever brought in $25k and he's now sold another $25k worth of Eden. We may not be talking huge figures here.

You actually have no clue what he meant by that, because his statement was incredibly vague (it could have been referring to only Steam version sales, or it may have referred to all versions combined). He might have clarified if you weren't acting like a complete ass to him and putting him on the defensive. He was pumped about the sales of the game, and you had the nerve to try to shit on his parade by short-changing the income potential of the sale by throwing out random guesses of the total sales and net income per unit sold, the latter of which ($0.35 per unit) was most certainly WAY off.

It's like a friend excitedly telling you of the new job they just got, and you respond by asking hardball questions about their responsibilities and income, before concluding that their boss is screwing them over and their job sucks. Don't be that guy.

Gaz_RB

Damn y'all are hating... So what if he prefers certain consoles to another? Wizzbang can be a little off putting at times but you guys don't need to attack him like he's some shill.

I wish I had the link where a Valve guy talked about pricing and sales, it was full of very interesting facts. Certain price points are more effective for indie games and pricing your game higher than that can have a detrimental effect to your sales. But lower is also bad in some cases, as apparently it diminishes the product's value in the eyes of the consumer. Buying a $15 game at $5 feels like you're getting much greater value than buying the same game priced at $5 from the start. I'm truly fascinated by the psychology of sales.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wish I had the link where a Valve guy talked about pricing and sales, it was full of very interesting facts. Certain price points are more effective for indie games and pricing your game higher than that can have a detrimental effect to your sales. But lower is also bad in some cases, as apparently it diminishes the product's value in the eyes of the consumer. Buying a $15 game at $5 feels like you're getting much greater value than buying the same game priced at $5 from the start. I'm truly fascinated by the psychology of sales.
I have to imagine that's why games like Gone Home and The Novelist are 20 bucks. You get 20 from the dedicated fans, then when you hit 5, you get a rush from the people who weren't interested before.

I have to imagine that's why games like Gone Home and The Novelist are 20 bucks. You get 20 from the dedicated fans, then when you hit 5, you get a rush from the people who weren't interested before.

Yup, pretty much. If you price too low right from the start you're basically leaving money on the table.

Top Bottom