• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plane crash that killed UN boss Hammarskjöld may have been caused by aircraft attack

berzeli

Banned
HK4hRYk.jpg

A UN report into the death of its former secretary general Dag Hammarskjöld in a 1961 plane crash in central Africa has found that there is a “significant amount of evidence” that his flight was brought down by another aircraft.

The report, delivered to the current secretary general, António Guterres, last month, took into account previously undisclosed information provided by the US, UK, Belgian, Canadian and German governments.

Its author, Mohamed Chande Othman, a former Tanzanian chief justice, found that the US and UK governments had intercepted radio traffic in the area at the time and suggested that the 56-year-old mystery could be solved if the contents of those classified recordings were produced.
Full article at The Guardian (do actually read it)

Wow, this has been a long time coming. Not exactly surprised at the conclusion of the report but damn this is all so terrible.

frontovik

Banned
I've always been curious about the real story behind the death of Hammarskjold.

He seemed to be a decent man who refused to bend to the whims of the powers that be and was killed for it.

Morat

Banned
It's been suspected for a long time, interesting to see this come up again. If they are hoping the UK and the US will release whatever material they have on crash I won't hold my breath though.

berzeli

Banned
I've always been curious about the real story behind the death of Hammarskjold.

He seemed to be a decent man who refused to bend to the whims of the powers that be and was killed for it.
tbh, the likely explanation of "mercenary being an idiot and accidentally shot it down" makes an alarming amount of sense.
Dammit Belg-, i mean, UMHK!
Well the UK have a lot of explaining to do as well. Weird how their two inquiries pointed to "pilot error" all whilst they supposedly have intercepted radio communications.

Legit just talked about this in class not even an hour ago due to his role in Patrice Lumumba's assassination. Definitely one of those "we knew this is how it happened, now we have evidence".

Top Bottom