• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pctx presents: Libya. The official thread of who knew what, when and why it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
I'm rebooting this thread later tonight with time line, pictures, video and whatever else I can find. I'll remove/strike thru my commentary to not taint the conversation.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm rebooting this thread later tonight with time line, pictures, video and whatever else I can find. I'll remove/strike thru my commentary to not taint the conversation.

Incoming Drudge Report/Fox News links. Cannot wait!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Looks like RDreamer is gonna have to get some new posts ready.

Also, Pctx try not to use fox/drudge/blaze links. If it's legit the NYTimes, NBC, CBS, ABC, WaPo or any other news source will have something backing you up.

Pctx

Banned

Also, Pctx try not to use fox/drudge/blaze links. If it's legit the NYTimes, NBC, CBS, ABC, WaPo or any other news source will have something backing you up.
No one else is covering it. I would've thought that they would've but apparently they suck.

mernst23

Why is it always "Former Seals"?

One that brings up that bullshit meter pretty high that they could be fake sources and two it means they could either be a CIA Operative (Which why the fuck would you be saying their names?) or two and far more likely they are fucking Contractors

Timeline of events

1. Protest

2. FORMER Seals who are now contractors hear gunfire.

3. FORMER Seals who are now contractors call a line to see if they can "Totally help out there bra!".

4. Operator on the other line who is trained for this kind of situation and is most likely not Obama, directly talking to Obama, or has Obama or Hillary directly feeding them answers, tells them to back down. The reason for this is a strategic one because there may be other attacks and especially ambushes planned.

5. One of the least damaging attacks on "US Soil" occurs and is used as a talking point by a Republican running for President and a Bull Shit News Company because there is nothing else they can come up with.

Those "former SEALS" are dead. TThey aren't making any claim. It's some bullshit unnamed source.

commedieu

Banned
Pctx,

you don't give a shit about Libya, or anything else happening in the middle east.

if you did, You'd be aware that its a proxy war that both the democrats and the republicans have thrown US/international taxpayers into, in the region. Its just for money, thats literally it, as it always has been. The civillians of the countries infected or on the list(Syria and coming soon Iran) are paying the price with their lives. Outside forces, funded and supported by UN/Nato + USA & Co, are killing people for working in the damned post office. And by kill, I mean throw off of the roof, or whatever high floor they can find their way to.

If you want to care, care. But its disgusting that you, and the likes of you, are pretending to care for a handful of people, when thousands have been killed in the name of you and me, yet where was Bush, where was Obama, and where is Romney standing out against proxy battles, and the further tarnishing of the USA's reputation.

You make me sick. You guys are all acting like this is some major issue. Fuck this single incident, in all fairness, fuck it. Whatever happened happened exactly the way the Military wanted it to happen, its always the case. I can't feel any sympahty for those involved in such a clear case of lies, when there are truly innocent people getting killed with my taxes. No WMD's or Chemical Weapon cache? Oh well, spread democracy and fail for 10 years at god knows how much life and less importantly, money, was wasted over Republican ideas, or Democratic ideas. Its the same batch of shit, one just wants to remove healthcare and womens rights from the USA population.

God damn.

RDreamer

No one else is covering it. I would've thought that they would've but apparently they suck.

Perhaps they're waiting for more actual information rather than running wild with unnamed sources given solely to Fox news.

:( I don't want to have to wade through Fox News' jumbled mess of a freaking article. If he uses something like that again I probably won't bother. Seriously, who wrote the one in this thread? It's a confusing, misleading mess.

Dash27

God damn.

Well, that was dramatic. Anyway, came to post this although doesnt seem like the actual situation is being discussed:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/2...Obama-on-Libya-attack?odyssey=tab|topnews|bc|

He was asked directly about the calls for help going unanswered and didnt respond to the question. Video at the link

President Obama was directly asked twice whether pleas for help on the ground in Libya were denied during the attack. Both times, he repeated his standard call for a thorough investigation.

commedieu

Banned
Well, that was dramatic.

Call it whatever you want. What happened in Libya was disgusting, as civil humans, everyone should have stood up and made some hard decisions about the course in that area of the world. You want to condemn the president, condemn him, the UN/Nato and everyone involved for something truly evil.

This issue? its just political, which is why its severely irritating. They dont care about the lives there, they just care about getting their gotcha moment for their mormon, which is absolutely below bottom feeding territory. Thousands of people die with the international communities blood on their hands, but because this one isolated, muddy, event happens, now its cause to complain or investigate? Please. Its horseshit.

Ask a republican how many civillians died in Iraq/Afghanistan for no reason. And compare that to today...and ask where is their complaint?

nonsense.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Maybe it's because there isn't enough information to actually have a story yet. Or maybe there is no story. Seriously, if there was a story EVERYONE would be covering it.

Pctx

Banned
Pctx,

you don't give a shit about Libya, or anything else happening in the middle east.

if you did, You'd be aware that its a proxy war that both the democrats and the republicans have thrown US/international taxpayers into, in the region. Its just for money, thats literally it, as it always has been. The civillians of the countries infected or on the list(Syria and coming soon Iran) are paying the price with their lives. Outside forces, funded and supported by UN/Nato + USA & Co, are killing people for working in the damned post office. And by kill, I mean throw off of the roof, or whatever high floor they can find their way to.

If you want to care, care. But its disgusting that you, and the likes of you, are pretending to care for a handful of people, when thousands have been killed in the name of you and me, yet where was Bush, where was Obama, and where is Romney standing out against proxy battles, and the further tarnishing of the USA's reputation.

You make me sick. You guys are all acting like this is some major issue. Fuck this single incident, in all fairness, fuck it. Whatever happened happened exactly the way the Military wanted it to happen, its always the case. I can't feel any sympahty for those involved in such a clear case of lies, when there are truly innocent people getting killed with my taxes. No WMD's or Chemical Weapon cache? Oh well, spread democracy and fail for 10 years at god knows how much life and less importantly, money, was wasted over Republican ideas, or Democratic ideas. Its the same batch of shit, one just wants to remove healthcare and womens rights from the USA population.

God damn.
You are pathetic and petty. I will address your post in full later.

commedieu

Banned
Ok normally I don't find myself agreeing with you a whole lot, but WOW this guy is full of it. Dude's crazy.

Full of what?

This being a 100% political issue? During voting season? Proxy Or illegal wars that no one seems to care about. This story has more press than any of the horrors happening there around the clock. If its life loss that is the issue, it sure doesn't seem to be the case for everything that has happened and is happening now.

Truth is the truth. People trying to make this an issue, trying so hard without any actual information, are glossing over the entire tragedy in the middle east for this one political issue. As I said, if you want to care, care. But don't make this insignificant drop in the hat a mountain. It really isn't. The people there knew the risks. Unlike someone who gets bombed for getting a drink of water in a 3 block radius of a possible terror target.

This "STORY" doesn't even have any concrete information for fucks sake. Concrete information is available for all the rest of the deaths. But nope, no noise from the GOP.

You are pathetic and petty. I will address your post in full later.

There is absolutely nothing petty about what I posted. If you care, you care. There is no giant trend of caring about what is going on in the middle east outside of which terrorist faction, sorry, rebels, is selling the USA oil of the shores of Libya. Petty is grasping at straws to make a story out of absolutely nothing compared to the gigantic tragedy that happened in Libya, that will happen in Syria, and god forbid Iran. This is pick and choose chicken shit in light of an election, is all this is. Life is life, and so far, the USA, with my taxes, has wasted a shit ton of it. You want to blame Obama, great. Blame him, try him for whatever. I just hope that you turn the clock back and put all these people to task for the loss of life during their time in office. Give those that died their fair chance at seeing the people responsible tried for their actions.

I'll vote for you if you do that, but you wont, as this is purely political for you.

Calm yourself I miss read your post. I thought you were going off on some kind of crazy UN conspiracy for a second. I edited my post for a reason.

This is a fair assessment. I apologize if it came off as some sort of tude towards you, but I'm calm. Just calling this exactly what it is. The issue itself, to care about, is so damn contradictory to what is actually going on. I know the agenda behind the OP, it just needs to come to light why this is important, and the rest of the dead aren't worth ink to print.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Full of what?

This being a 100% political issue? During voting season? Proxy Or illegal wars that no one seems to care about. This story has more press than any of the horrors happening there around the clock. If its life loss that is the issue, it sure doesn't seem to be the case for everything that has happened and is happening now.

Truth is the truth. People trying to make this an issue, trying so hard without any actual information, are glossing over the entire tragedy in the middle east for this one political issue. As I said, if you want to care, care. But don't make this insignificant drop in the hat a mountain. It really isn't. The people there knew the risks. Unlike someone who gets bombed for getting a drink of water in a 3 block radius of a possible terror target.

This "STORY" doesn't even have any concrete information for fucks sake. Concrete information is available for all the rest of the deaths. But nope, no noise from the GOP.

Calm yourself I miss read your post. I thought you were going off on some kind of crazy UN conspiracy for a second. I edited my post for a reason.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Former Navy SEALs Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty were part of a small team who were at the CIA annex about a mile from the U.S. Consulate where Ambassador Chris Stevens and his team came under attack.

Forgive me for the possibly phenomenally stupid question, but these guys were at the CIA during this Benghazi kerfuffle, and now they're former Navy SEALs? Did they quit within the month? (Are you even allowed to do such a thing?)

Keikaku

I love how Pctx is so sincerely outraged about all of the Obama administration's failings in this matter that he's taking the time to talk about it in a sensitive and decent manner in a thread title that starts with the not-at-all bombastic words of Pctx presents:. This isn't a movie presentation.

What exactly are you presenting? Apart from regurgitating the half-formed views of a media conglomerate, you're not facilitating any discussion nor are you interested in it. You were told that this is something to make political hay out of and you're doing it at the expense of some basic decency. You may not be able to admit it but you don't give a damn that lives were lost. You simply wanted the opportunity to parade your self righteousness in a public forum so that you can feel good about yourself.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm still wondering what the underlying point is in all this. That Obama's an incompetent doofus who can't do anything right or a callous, scumbag that hates his underlings?

Jimothy

I'm still wondering what the underlying point is in all this. That Obama's an incompetent doofus who can't do anything right or a callous, scumbag that hates his underlings?

The right wing media has had very little to criticize about Obama's Neocon-lite foreign policy until this little fuck up, so they're champing at the bit to make it look like a huge scandal.

I think these are the main points:

1. This happened because Obama is weak, his policies are indirectly to blame.
  2. Him and his administration took way too long to clear up the situation.
  3. His response to this attack wasn't strong enough.

What Obama should have done for points 1, 2, and 3, is what Romney would have done, and will do if he is elected, e.g:

1. Have strong foreign policies.
  2. Not dawdle in situations such as these
  3. Respond swiftly and with military force (e.g, invade another country) if something like this happens

Amir0x

Banned
I love how Pctx is so sincerely outraged about all of the Obama administration's failings in this matter that he's taking the time to talk about it in a sensitive and decent manner in a thread title that starts with the not-at-all bombastic words of Pctx presents:. This isn't a movie presentation.

What exactly are you presenting? Apart from regurgitating the half-formed views of a media conglomerate, you're not facilitating any discussion nor are you interested in it. You were told that this is something to make political hay out of and you're doing it at the expense of some basic decency. You may not be able to admit it but you don't give a damn that lives were lost. You simply wanted the opportunity to parade your self righteousness in a public forum so that you can feel good about yourself.

EIGHT DAYS

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think these are the main points:

1. This happened because Obama is weak, his policies are indirectly to blame.
  2. Him and his administration took way too long to clear up the situation.
  3. His response to this attack wasn't strong enough.

What Obama should have done for points 1, 2, and 3, is what Romney would have done, and will do if he is elected, e.g:

1. Have strong foreign policies.
  2. Not dawdle in situations such as these
  3. Respond swiftly and with military force (e.g, invade another country) if something like this happens
The main point is "vote Romney."

He'll just pull out a "Obama mishandled Sandy" thread next week when he finally realizes the public doesn't either understand Benghazi or see any kind of "scandal" in it.

This is because it's a non-issue that only deluded liars (translation into American English: "conservatives") is circlejerking over in an attempt to smear Obama's name, without considering that there was absolutely no way of preventing it without engaging in another pointless, life-consuming, full scale war.

Cloudy

Banned
Well, that was dramatic. Anyway, came to post this although doesnt seem like the actual situation is being discussed:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/2...Obama-on-Libya-attack?odyssey=tab|topnews|bc|

He was asked directly about the calls for help going unanswered and didnt respond to the question. Video at the link

He probably didn't know the answer and didn't want to be trapped in a "lie" if it turns out that people on the ground didn't act for whatever reason. The CIA has said those reports aren't true..

Dash27

This is because it's a non-issue that only deluded liars (translation into American English: "conservatives") is circlejerking over in an attempt to smear Obama's name, without considering that there was absolutely no way of preventing it without engaging in another pointless, life-consuming, full scale war.

See this guy gets it. I'm pretty sure Romney is behind this whole thing in the first place. Arming the terrorists and/or making the mean youtube, whichever we're saying happened now. High five.

antonz

Forgive me for the possibly phenomenally stupid question, but these guys were at the CIA during this Benghazi kerfuffle, and now they're former Navy SEALs? Did they quit within the month? (Are you even allowed to do such a thing?)

Many people in special forces when they retire take on roles within the civilian side of government as professional security. Government tends to be very eager to keep them around even if it isn't for covert ops anymore.

I would just like to know why we sat there for 7 hours and watched it all happen and did nothing when we had Forces an hour away etc. Obama doesn't care about killing civilians in Yemen and Pakistan so why is it such a concern in Libya.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Gaf justs thinks this is all a big joke and wonders why support for their candidate continues its decline. This explains a lot.

Well, let's go down the list:
#1: Most of the security requests being cited by Fox and their "investigation" came from Tripoli, not Benghazi.
#2: Congress cut funding for embassy security, so budgets were tight.
#3: Related to #2, note that 24 hours after the attack, our response was to deploy ~50 marines to the embassies in order to increase security. This just reenforces the point I made above, as it shows that the state department was so strapped for resources that the defense department resources had to be used to provide additional security instead of resources from the State Dept.
#4: In response to the attacks, the US increased security at the embassies and started an investigation into what went wrong, who denied the security request, and why and how it happened, so that it doesn't happen again. They are also investigating
#5: There was a CIA site in the area (which was revealed thanks to republicans in congress not knowing or caring about proper security protocol. Thanks for spilling classified info on national television, guys!), which likely explains the muddled response in the immediate aftermath of the attacks. CIA, Defense Dept, and State Dept were all butting heads.
#6: It is normally up to the hosting country's military to secure the embassies and consulates of foreign nations. That is because you can't have diplomatic officials from a country bringing their own country's military along as security. It ceases to be a diplomatic relationship at that point. The Libyan government is just as (actually, more) responsible for the failure to secure the embassy, which is why their interim president apologized to us.

Libyan leader Mohammed Magarief apologised to the United States on Wednesday over an attack on its consulate in Benghazi in which the ambassador and three other staff members were killed.

"We apologise to the United States, the people and to the whole world for what happened," Magarief, president of Libya's national assembly, told a news conference broadcast live on Al Jazeera television.

#7: There were TWELVE attacks on our embassies during bush's term in office. You can't be the only superpower in the world and be favorable to all 7 billion people in all countries. That's just not going to happen. Attacks are going to happen. But you can limit them through diplomacy and coalition building rather than unilateral force. Every diplomatic official knows that their line of work involves representing their country in a foreign land, and that this comes with risks, especially in dozens of politically unstable hotstop countries around the globe. They died in the promotion of peaceful relations between man, something that the world honors, and something that should not be exploited for political purposes by anyone.

What more can you ask from our government? To just send marines out to patrol a 3 mile radius surrounding the consulate 24/7? This was not some kind of widespread systematic failure or gross corruption/incompetence. All you can do is investigate what went wrong, learn from it, and move on.

Dash27

He probably didn't know the answer and didn't want to be trapped in a "lie" if it turns out that people on the ground didn't act for whatever reason. The CIA has said those reports aren't true..

I dont blame him if he does not know the answer to something. If that's indeed the case that's fine. You'd think he would know if anyone called for help and what the response was though by this point.

Cloudy

Banned
I dont blame him if he does not know the answer to something. If that's indeed the case that's fine. You'd think he would know if anyone called for help and what the response was though by this point.

Think about it from his perspective. The intel says it was about the video (which was a reasonable assumption considering the other protests) then it changed midway. His political opponents now freely call him a liar because of shaky initial intel.

Next, the GOP took random, unclassified took emails from the state dept. sent hours after the incident, about militants claiming credit on twitter (later debunked) and somehow that proves the administration knew it was definitely a planned attack!

Now, Obama is being grilled as if he should personally know operational details of the CIA response on the ground..even after the CIA has said the story is bogus. This is some ridiculous shit and I never saw anyone get in Bush's face like that Denver reporter did after 9/11. Fucking partisan scumbags..

Cyan

Banned

It's a joking reference to his ownage by the mods the last time he started this thread.

RDreamer

Think about it from his perspective. The intel says it was about the video (which was a reasonable assumption considering the other protests) then it changed midway. His political opponents now freely call him a liar because of shaky initial intel.

Next, the GOP took random, unclassified took emails from the state dept. sent hours after the incident, about militants claiming credit on twitter (later debunked) and somehow that proves the administration knew it was definitely a planned attack!

The problem is that the people on the right seem to think that a terrorist attack and a demonstration for the video are mutually exclusive things. They are not. As I've posted before from this story, this was a violent flash mob, and a semi-unplanned attack. It was a group of people with disjointed reasonings.

The attack was "carried out following a minimum amount of planning," said a U.S. intelligence official, who, like others, spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a matter still under investigation. "The attackers exhibited a high degree of disorganization. Some joined the attack in progress, some did not have weapons and others just seemed interested in looting."

A second U.S. official added, "There isn't any intelligence that the attackers pre-planned their assault days or weeks in advance." Most of the evidence so far suggests that "the attackers launched their assault opportunistically after they learned about the violence at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo" earlier that day, the official said.

But in Benghazi, witnesses said members of the group that raided the U.S. mission specifically mentioned the video, which denigrated the prophet Muhammad.

"They drew their guns on me and they told me that the Americans were abusing our prophet," he said. "That's why they said they had come to fight."

This other story also says the same thing:

The currently available information suggests that the demonstrations in Benghazi were spontaneously inspired by the protests at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo and evolved into a direct assault against the U.S. Consulate and subsequently its annex. There are indications that extremists participated in the violent demonstrations.”

The reality isn't that the administration's story was muddled and should have been clear. The reality is that what happened in and of itself is muddled, and apparently the people on the right just can't handle that. Makes sense. They seem to view things in black and white sometimes.

Dorrin

dO2VP.gif

Dash27

The problem is that the people on the right seem to think that a terrorist attack and a demonstration for the video are mutually exclusive things. They are not. As I've posted before from this story, this was a violent flash mob, and a semi-unplanned attack. It was a group of people with disjointed reasonings.

The reality isn't that the administration's story was muddled and should have been clear. The reality is that what happened in and of itself is muddled, and apparently the people on the right just can't handle that. Makes sense. They seem to view things in black and white sometimes.

No, the problem is that the administration pushed this spontaneous attack over a video thing for weeks. From the UN Secretary to Hillary to Jay Carney to President Obama himself. Then during the debates POTUS says he called it terrorism on day one in the Rose Garden, although when asked directly on the View and other places he goes back to "we're still doing an investigation".

So they are all over the place. Now maybe they just dont know, maybe they got conflicting info and all the rest, but there's no question there were fuck ups and they are now stonewalling til after the election.

RDreamer

No, the problem is that the administration pushed this spontaneous attack over a video thing for weeks. From the UN Secretary to Hillary to Jay Carney to President Obama himself. Then during the debates POTUS says he called it terrorism on day one in the Rose Garden, although when asked directly on the View and other places he goes back to "we're still doing an investigation".

So they are all over the place. Now maybe they just dont know, maybe they got conflicting info and all the rest, but there's no question there were fuck ups and they are now stonewalling til after the election.

But what I just posted said straight up that it was a spontaneous (or better put, an opportunistic) attack at least in part inspired by the video. It was also an act of terror.

Enron

Banned
3 times help requested and 3 times denied. Appalling response from our Government!

These guys should have never been sent to Benghazi in the first place. Regardless of what the Administration knew, when they knew it, and what help they did or didn't decline to send.

Dash27

But what I just posted said straight up that it was a spontaneous (or better put, an opportunistic) attack at least in part inspired by the video. It was also an act of terror.

With all the conflicting information and anonymous sources, they seemed pretty sure of themselves putting out Rice and Hillary and Obama denouncing that video. They even arrested the man who made it. Worth repeating: a guy who made a stupid video that insulted people was arrested.

Maybe it was opportunistic and an act of terrorism but that is hardly the impression they were conveying. Spontaneous, not pre meditated, over a video. The president and secretary of state went on about that video quite a bit. Do we still think the video caused 4 american deaths?

Beyond all that though, lack of security, ignoring requests for more and now denying direct calls for help during the attacks are alleged. This is a place that has been attacked before no less:

http://www.politico.com/politico44/...consulate-was-attacked-previously-137236.html

So yeah, they are pushing anything off til after the election. Which, I dont know what politician wouldnt, but still.

Cloudy

Banned
With all the conflicting information and anonymous sources, they seemed pretty sure of themselves putting out Rice and Hillary and Obama denouncing that video. They even arrested the man who made it. Worth repeating: a guy who made a stupid video that insulted people was arrested.

They put out what they had because in today's 24/7 media, if you don't have an answer right away, it hurts you more than giving what you have. Also, "they" didn't arrest the guy. Local cops did because he violated his probation by making videos.

Maybe it was opportunistic and an act of terrorism but that is hardly the impression they were conveying. Spontaneous, not pre meditated, over a video. The president and secretary of state went on about that video quite a bit. Do we still think the video caused 4 american deaths?

Did you read any of the links RDreamer posted?

Beyond all that though, lack of security, ignoring requests for more and now denying direct calls for help during the attacks are alleged. This is a place that has been attacked before no less:

CIA and military have denied that. But I guess David Petraeus isn't credible now that he's in Obama's administration

Cyan

Banned

Please proceed, Dash27.

Gotchaye

Wasn't he in violation of his parole? I'm sure that whoever made the decision isn't typically investigating people on similar paroles (phrasing?) to see if they're not using the internet, but when you violate your parole and then effectively announce to the entire internet-enabled world that you have done so, I think you can reasonably expect to get picked up.

Edit: Sorry, Cyan.

Well, let's go down the list:
#1: Most of the security requests being cited by Fox and their "investigation" came from Tripoli, not Benghazi.
#2: Congress cut funding for embassy security, so budgets were tight.
#3: Related to #2, note that 24 hours after the attack, our response was to deploy ~50 marines to the embassies in order to increase security. This just reenforces the point I made above, as it shows that the state department was so strapped for resources that the defense department resources had to be used to provide additional security instead of resources from the State Dept.
#4: In response to the attacks, the US increased security at the embassies and started an investigation into what went wrong, who denied the security request, and why and how it happened, so that it doesn't happen again. They are also investigating
#5: There was a CIA site in the area (which was revealed thanks to republicans in congress not knowing or caring about proper security protocol. Thanks for spilling classified info on national television, guys!), which likely explains the muddled response in the immediate aftermath of the attacks. CIA, Defense Dept, and State Dept were all butting heads.
#6: It is normally up to the hosting country's military to secure the embassies and consulates of foreign nations. That is because you can't have diplomatic officials from a country bringing their own country's military along as security. It ceases to be a diplomatic relationship at that point. The Libyan government is just as (actually, more) responsible for the failure to secure the embassy, which is why their interim president apologized to us.

#7: There were TWELVE attacks on our embassies during bush's term in office. You can't be the only superpower in the world and be favorable to all 7 billion people in all countries. That's just not going to happen. Attacks are going to happen. But you can limit them through diplomacy and coalition building rather than unilateral force. Every diplomatic official knows that their line of work involves representing their country in a foreign land, and that this comes with risks, especially in dozens of politically unstable hotstop countries around the globe. They died in the promotion of peaceful relations between man, something that the world honors, and something that should not be exploited for political purposes by anyone.

What more can you ask from our government? To just send marines out to patrol a 3 mile radius surrounding the consulate 24/7? This was not some kind of widespread systematic failure or gross corruption/incompetence. All you can do is investigate what went wrong, learn from it, and move on.
If you respond to any post Pctx, make it this one. I'd be all ears (eyes) if I thought you actually had a substantive point to make.

And just to follow up on GaimeGuy's point #2:

For fiscal 2013, the GOP-controlled House proposed spending $1.934 billion for the State Department’s Worldwide Security Protection program — well below the $2.15 billion requested by the Obama administration. House Republicans cut the administration’s request for embassy security funding by $128 million in fiscal 2011 and $331 million in fiscal 2012. (Negotiations with the Democrat-controlled Senate restored about $88 million of the administration’s request.) Last year, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that Republicans’ proposed cuts to her department would be “detrimental to America’s national security” — a charge Republicans rejected.
(source)

RDreamer

I don't get what's so wrong with denouncing a trash video that caused so much protests in other countries. You can sit here and deny the connection in Libya, but there were protests in Cairo and then elsewhere because of the video. And I think you weren't paying attention to Obama's speeches if you thought he was just denouncing the video. He was making a point that in the future and in a better world we need to denounce hatred like that, but they must also denounce hatred on their side.

The guy was arrested for violating the terms of his probation in a 2010 bank fraud case. He had restricted internet usage because of a fraud case wherein he used many aliases. Cry me a goddamned river.

I think that this was a violent group that could have or would have been set off by many things. Perhaps they would have got violent anyway. But they were at least in part inspired by the protests in Cairo. Perhaps not by the video, but maybe just the protests and show of power by people they connected with. I don't know. I'm not entirely sure why this matters, though.

I don't think you can say there was a lack of security. There were guards there, at least as far as I'm aware. Again, during the large attack one person died, yes, but the safe haven wasn't breached and they were at least apparently beaten back, and the attack stopped for hours.

I would say yes we do need to look into security requests and see if there was something that was missed, for future reference. Not to be callous, though, but this is one of those hindsight is 20/20 things. You can definitely say what we should have done now, but beforehand you can't say for certain what you may have done. These embassies get threats all the time, especially in these areas of the world. We have fingers in every pie around the world and funding for these pies is dropping. Again, not really giving excuses, because it is something we need to look into for future.

Pctx

Banned
Reboot is happening right now, working on the time line stuff. Also, I will respond to the questions posed to me (all of them, if I miss one, let me know) in this thread, so don't worry about that.

pigeon

Banned
Reboot is happening right now, working on the time line stuff. Also, I will respond to the questions posed to me (all of them, if I miss one, let me know) in this thread, so don't worry about that.

Do you realize how nonexistent Fox's and your credibility are on this? Does it bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom