• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster, New Details from the Dev Diaries. Public alpha release March 2016

Wow, the stream was AMAZING!

Super long videos showing us how creative you can be building the park of your dreams. He also commented in real mods and UGC probably planned for the future.

The gest animations are suprisingly belivable. I know I alwys say this, but everything new they show about them is better and better.

The Alpha is going to be out between the 15th and 31st of March.

Shahadan

Yeah my PC won't run this :lol:

Did they mention something about a guest limit? They are way too sophisticated for them to not become a performance issue down the road.

D-Pad

Amazing as always. Loving their idea for the "vanilla" scenery. Despite their continued reassurances about the user generated content, I am a little disappointed that it wasn't at least planned from the start. Perhaps because their wording is more "we're looking into it" rather than "yes, it will come".

Sydle

It's looking so good. Have they mentioned a target release date or specs at all yet? This is one of those where I definitely want to be ready for day one.

squall23

I want an option to let me download other people's parks and just walk around it in 1st person and go on the rides. Everything looks great so far.

Amazing as always. Loving their idea for the "vanilla" scenery. Despite their continued reassurances about the user generated content, I am a little disappointed that it wasn't at least planned from the start. Perhaps because their wording is more "we're looking into it" rather than "yes, it will come".

Yeah I'd be much happier with a solid confirmation, but that's the only downside; everything else is exceeding expectations. I've got no problem with no mods at launch though; generally I only look into them once I've overused and grown bored of the stock stuff, which looks pretty flexible and robust.

Fo people who couldnt watch the stream yesterday, they upload it to their channel.
https://youtu.be/JAItaBmxn6I

1 hour of amazing videos, art and cool things explained.

Yeah I'd be much happier with a solid confirmation, but that's the only downside; everything else is exceeding expectations. I've got no problem with no mods at launch though; generally I only look into them once I've overused and grown bored of the stock stuff, which looks pretty flexible and robust.

As someone who tries to design games and as an avid RCT player, I know what he is trying to do with this. I know some of the fanbase is going to get a little mad about the decission, but to me is a really sound one when he tries to explain it. He tells us we wait, play the alpha, and then understand what his meaning. And thats what Im going to do right now.

I want some things to be done with his type of building though. If I could add any texture to a wall, or at least the billboards they give us, and also gives us one piece, that is so small and maleable I can build really anything with it, I will be pretty happy with the system until mods come.

And even then, its using the cobra engine RCT3 was using, At the end of the day, even without frontier's help, somebody is going to come in and open the thing and make their own mods and custom content.

Yeah my PC won't run this :lol:

Did they mention something about a guest limit? They are way too sophisticated for them to not become a performance issue down the road.

Around the 20000 for big parks was mentioned in the first dev diary. Could have changed though.

It's looking so good. Have they mentioned a target release date or specs at all yet? This is one of those where I definitely want to be ready for day one.

Games target release is the last months of 2016, and the alpha between the 15th and 31st of this month. Im sure we will start knowing about the specs when the alpha is launched.

I want an option to let me download other people's parks and just walk around it in 1st person and go on the rides. Everything looks great so far.

Theyve talked about this during the 3rd dev diary. Not the 1st person thing though, but during the streaming they already said they are touching the coaster and ride cams already.

Lach

Finally got a chance to watch the stream video.

They are really going for it! This is looking great. Can't wait for them to release Alpha!

And even then, its using the cobra engine RCT3 was using, At the end of the day, even without frontier's help, somebody is going to come in and open the thing and make their own mods and custom content.

Really? That's very interesting and impressive.

Looks great btw, can't wait to try it. How does one get in on this Open Alpha?

painey

I don't like their answer of "we're looking at modding". Mods are as important as rollercoasters in this game.. if it's not in, your long term sales suffer and many people won't pay full price on launch

Lach

Heads up.
New Live Stream tonight (focus on rides) at 7pm GMT!
Live Stream is on the official Planet Coaster youtube channel!

Im going to be at a friends house at that time, but I hope we can watch it there.
Put some questions for Same Denney at the forums about water rides.

EDIT And just read it is going to be about flat rides and not coaster or other track rides. Shoot my question down lol

I don't like their answer of "we're looking at modding". Mods are as important as rollercoasters in this game.. if it's not in, your long term sales suffer and many people won't pay full price on launch

It's £20 though.... no way theme park fans aren't gonna buy that even without mods at launch. I hear you though, in the long term mods are important.

Could just see the end of the stream becuase we got some car problems and had to go to the mechanic.

Will have to see what they showed tomorrow when they upload the full video.

Mik2121

So Planet Coaster is coming on the 22nd and apparently the beta will focus on the path system and whatnot? I hope they still include at least the basic roller coaster! I wanna play with that stuff so much!!

ryan299

So Planet Coaster is coming on the 22nd and apparently the beta will focus on the path system and whatnot? I hope they still include at least the basic roller coaster! I wanna play with that stuff so much!!

Don't think it's in at launch. Sounded like it's just the path and modular building at first with them adding more. They didn't talk about the schedule tho.

Mik2121

Don't think it's in at launch. Sounded like it's just the path and modular building at first with them adding more. They didn't talk about the schedule tho.

I see. Maybe at least one or two flat rides to connect the paths to.. something? Making just paths and modular building without any goal (ie, any ride) is fine too, but it would be nicer if...!

Oh well, I will still play with this so much. I wonder if the terrain editor is also in there so we can make more dynamic paths.

ryan299

I see. Maybe at least one or two flat rides to connect the paths to.. something? Making just paths and modular building without any goal (ie, any ride) is fine too, but it would be nicer if...!

Oh well, I will still play with this so much. I wonder if the terrain editor is also in there so we can make more dynamic paths.

I hear ya man, it's disappointing.

They also mentioned steam is in their plans, but they have nothing to say about it other than they want to bring it there.

Rflagg

I am excited the world can not have too many theme park/coaster games and this looks like it could be a good one.

The alpha is going to be ongoing til release day, right? Makes sense that they're starting with just the modest basics. Not sure if I'm going to put down 50 for it or just watch streams and wait for the full thing.

Who am I kidding, the second I see people building a Coaster I'm going to throw my wallet at the screen.

Lach

I think they should comunicate a bit better what will be in the first version of the Alpha.

A lot of people will think it will contain the stuff we've seen in these Pre-Alpha videos they've been showing.
But I mean the fact that they haven't been doing actual gameplay during the live stream has to hint that it will really be only paths and modular buildings...

Mik2121

I hear ya man, it's disappointing.

They also mentioned steam is in their plans, but they have nothing to say about it other than they want to bring it there.
Yep. Oh well.. it would be nice to at least have one flat ride so we can make the most kickass single-ride park ever :( Hopefully...

I think they should comunicate a bit better what will be in the first version of the Alpha.

A lot of people will think it will contain the stuff we've seen in these Pre-Alpha videos they've been showing.
But I mean the fact that they haven't been doing actual gameplay during the live stream has to hint that it will really be only paths and modular buildings...
Yeah, I assume we'll only be able to do what they have shown with actual gameplay. That is, creating buildings and stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzXbEZkopyQ (maybe we even get to place some shops?)

And messing around with the landscape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyK0aIuflZ0

It would be nice to have something to place other than paths if only because to test the paths it would be better to have something for the peeps to walk towards. But eh..!

Last week stream he was actually "playing" the game, when he started to touch the "fountain" he made for the plaza. And IIRC it was a park with rides.

They also said everytime they show a long video that the park we are saying is built with the latest build they had that morning.

And even if its modular buildings and path for this aprt of the alpha, its an alpha, not a beta. Im pretty sire they want us to tell them any bugs we see, and last week they said it was going to be important for use to undertand what we could make with the modular building system and how free it was. probably they want to get tips and ideas first of people who want to expand the building system instead of getting everything at the same time, so the improvements can be more focused.
And at least you are keeping that alpha forever and if thats the case they will be updating it bit by bit.

LuuKyK

So, a week until the alpha version goes live. Anyone here bought the Early Bird edition and will have access to it? The videos they uploaded lately on their youtube channel look amazing. I am very excited for this game.

whiteape

I got the early bird pass, can't wait for the alpha (have to install Windows on my Mac first to be able to play it though).

Mikeside

So, a week until the alpha version goes live. Anyone here bought the Early Bird edition and will have access to it? The videos they uploaded lately on their youtube channel look amazing. I am very excited for this game.

Me, I'm very excited, though I'll probably only play a little each time big features are added so I don't get burnt out on it before release

Mik2121

So... under 6 days now! I can't understand why am I this excited when it's just paths and maybe some decorating and/or terraforming. Oh well!

Zafir

I ended up going for it as they sent out a discount code for those of us who kick-started Elite Dangerous.

Got my £20 edition refunded.

Looking forward to a good theme park game.

Tomorrow the embargo from he press event that was done last week is lifted, so expect a bunch o info for tomorrow, and the day after that the alpha is released. Im super excited.

They put a video and some amazing art and screens about the park and rides entrances in the Coaster Head Club private forums. Its incredible, you can make handmade structures to create entrances as big or small as you want, so theres no generic entrance like in every RCT game, we have to obcscure with something to make our own.

bTW Here are the videos they have been posting in facebook with the days up to release of the alpha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HkfGdj4tZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YpqJ2XCDmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWuYnj0SCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiUM3PXrZ8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwXTx1W25k

D-Pad

I hope we get some songs like those from the RCT and RCT 2 days. Those fairground organ themes are what really gave parks that old-fashion amusement park feel, something I missed when playing RCT 3.

They put a video and some amazing art and screens about the park and rides entrances in the Coaster Head Club private forums. Its incredible, you can make handmade structures to create entrances as big or small as you want, so theres no generic entrance like in every RCT game, we have to obcscure with something to make our own.

MMMmmmmmmm yessssss so good!

Jedi2016

This might be a silly question, but I haven't seen it in black & white yet:

You do actually get to RIDE the rides, right?

I understand it's mainly a theme park manager, but what's the point of a roller coaster if you can't ride it, amirite?

Seriously considering the Early Bird package, even though it is kind of pricy.

2 days to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jbrJyfUdtY

The coaster's sound is pretty spot on, imo!

The sound design of this game is out of this world.
Its funny that one of the best aspects of this countdown micro videos has been showing how good the sound design of the game is.

This might be a silly question, but I haven't seen it in black & white yet:

You do actually get to RIDE the rides, right?

I understand it's mainly a theme park manager, but what's the point of a roller coaster if you can't ride it, amirite?

Seriously considering the Early Bird package, even though it is kind of pricy.

Yep!
They showed the first ride cam stuff in the second strem they did. They were working more on it. Its very similar to the RCT3 camera, where you can rotate it and zoom in or out to face the guests while the ride is working.

Pretty sure its not going to be in this alpha though. Its main component is going to be paths and structure building.

Really on the fence if I should buy the early bird edition or not...think I'll wait to see some impressions first.

I think they are not going to take out of their store the alpha until the game is released. The one that going to release in 2 days have been said has an emphasis on placing paths and building structures.

If you are on the fence I would recommend you to wait, they are going to be updating the alpha with more things to test until the game releases and they are not going to take it away like the RCTW beta after a weekend.

WHAT this is coming out this week!?

How much!?

Alpha on the 22nd of March. Emphasizing on building paths and structures (but we dont really know if there will be rides there).
Alpha with game costs 67 euros. Game alone without alpha 27 euros.
You can get it here:
https://www.frontierstore.net/eur/games/planet-coaster-cat.html/

Top Bottom