• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies 2 |OT| It's About Time

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
NH3sQGo.png

oOmzW9w.png

PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES 2: IT'S ABOUT TIME is out NOW, worldwide on iOS and Android. It's a F2P title with IAP's, but PopCap claims that the microtransactions are not necessary to beat the game.
PVZ2 will release on other platforms, but dates and distribution methods have not been announced.

I don't feel like writing any more so here's a WIKI link detailing all the important stuff.

OFFICIAL TRAILER:

GAMEPLAY WALKTHROUGH:

WHAT'S NEW: (copied and pasted from iTunes)
The zombies are coming… back. It’s about time! The sequel to the hit action-strategy adventure with over 30 Game of the Year awards is here. Join Crazy Dave on a crazy adventure where you’ll meet, greet and defeat legions of zombies from the dawn of time to the end of days. Amass an army of powerful new plants, super charge them with Plant Food and power up your defenses with amazing new ways to protect your brain.

NEW PLANTS! NEW ZOMBIES!:
Meet Bonk Choy, Bloomerang and Lightning Reed: Just a few of the powerful new plants that will defend your lawn through time. Go toe-to-missing-toe with dozens of new zombies including Ra Zombie in Ancient Egypt, Swashbuckler Zombie on the Pirate Seas, or Chicken Wrangler Zombie in the Wild West. In every new world, clever new zombies and brain-teasing challenges will test your zombie-zapping skills.

AMAZING NEW WAYS TO PROTECT YOUR BRAIN:
New Plant Food and power-ups will take your game to new dimensions. Plant Food will supercharge your plants when you need it most. Use your fingers to pinch, flick and zap zombies off your lawn.

LOOK OUT! ZOMBIE CHICKENS!:
Seriously.

NEW LEVELS OF EXCITEMENT:
Battle the fun-dead on land, on sea and… on the rails? Unlock ultra-challenging (and ultra-fun) endless levels — Pyramid of Doom, Pirate's Booty and the Big Bad Butte.

THE FUN NEVER DIES:
Gather keys to unlock brain teasers and new plants. Collect coins to purchase potent power-ups. Earn stars to take you to new worlds. Survive long enough and you'll be rewarded with piles of prizes and achievements. And that's just the beginning! The future holds many mysteries. Also, zombies. Lots and lots of zombies.

IAP DETAILS: (note: prices may vary in the final release)
The Plants Vs. Zombies 2 IAPs are pretty expensive and extremely varied, ranging from special plant purchases to upgrades and regular coins. PopCap did say that they are still testing things out so the final prices might be lower when the game fully launches, but until then here are the outrageous costs:

Premium Plants in Plants vs Zombies:

Squash – Smashes a nearby zombie: $2.99
Imitater – Mimics a seed packet: $2.99
Snow Pea – Shoots pea that slows zombie: $2.99
Jalapeno – Ignites a whole row of zombies: $2.99
Torchwood – Ignites peas for double damage: $2.99
Power Lily – Creates one Plant Food: $2.99

Upgrades in Plants vs Zombies:

Shovel Bonus – +25% sun refund when shoveling: $1.99
Plant Food Bonus – +1 Plant Food slot: $1.99
Sun Bonus – +25 starting sun: $1.99
Bonus Seed Slot – +1 seed slots: $1.99

Source: http://www.touchtapplay.com/plants-vs-zombies-2-iap-pretty-expensive/

rSCTPzk.jpg

1YFfvQV.jpg

c4xKvoe.jpg

UOL3890.jpg

AoAE0BM.jpg

Have fun!!!

SmokyDave

Nice OP.

I hadn't realised it was out so soon. Me & the missus will be sure to download it the moment it hits the UK store.

BuzzJive

We're going on a road trip tomorrow and I was literally going to create a New Zealand account tonight to download it for my 7 year old. Any word on the time of the release?

They always claim microtransactions aren't needed. But I'll check it out regardless.

I hate F2P models. I'd rather spend $20 for a PC copy than play it for free with tons of IAPs.

cluderi

I've had a lot of fun with it and not spent a single cent in the store, I'd have rather just paid for the game and unlocked stuff with gameplay but it's still not that bad.

thank god its finally being released in the US! tired of looking up videos about it and not being able to play- will play this all day tomorrow!

Snow Pea put behind a paywall. Nice. Maybe the game will not have a difficulty curve that outpaces upgrades, but there is definitely some pay-to-win garbage there that I was expecting from EA. Lots of potential for the PvZ brand, but it might be ruined (gotta play it to know for sure).

Velcro Fly

I'd feel much better about paying $20 for the game and having no IAP instead of having it be f2p. I know it's basically the same thing, but it's just a weird psychological thing for me I guess.

Game looks really fun. Think I'll wait for the inevitable release on other platforms though.

Also chuckled that most of the premium plants are the easily abused ones from the first game.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Hope they release a "pay-once" version with correct balancing, otherwise I won't bother. It's sad, because I really liked the original.

Nugg

How do those microtransactions work? Do you buy them once and for all, or is it some kind of limited use bullshit?

SmokyDave

Not pointless to everyone. Even if you buy every plant you have spent $18. That is not the worst thing in the world. This game actually seems to have done F2P right. Also, if you care about mobile gaming, might as well get an iOS device. There are so many good games for iOS it is crazy.
This can't be stressed enough. If you are a gamer open to playing mobile games and you're in the market for a smartphone or tablet, iOS is far and away your best bet.

Can't wait to play this on Steam and Cheat Engine all the unlocks. Fail EA, Fail.
How is this any different to saying 'I'm going to pirate this game'?

Velcro Fly

Are there any more level details available besides Ancient Egypt, Pirate Seas, and Wild West? I haven't been keeping up with info too well but I guess the "It's About Time" part of the title makes a ton of sense now!

PVZ2 will release on other platforms, but dates and distribution methods have not been announced.
Android is this year, I heard. Not expecting PC to fit into their priorities any time soon. Maybe a gimped version for Facebook or Google+

mcfrank

iCloud support?

From Pop Cap:

PvZ2 & iCloud - What It Means to You
By popular demand, Plants vs. Zombies 2 makes use of the iCloud feature on your iOS device to back up your game! This is an automatic function that will allow you to preserve your progress and even maintain it across multiple devices you own!

inky

Steam says I've played 67 hours of PvZ. I'm not going to bother with this one if it is not a full version on PC.

mcfrank

I love PvZ so so much.

Disappointing that some of my favorite plants from the original are paywalled (RIP in peace, Squash), but I'll play the shit out of it anyway.

Can't wait.

Why not just buy the plant and throw some funds the developers way?

pacman85

Anyone know if I originally downloaded this on a NZ account I created but now play it on my original, main Apple ID if I will lose my progress? I checked and it is saving something for this game to iCloud so I should be fine correct? I want to download it on my main account so I can get the app updates easier than having to sign back into my NZ account to update the app.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Even when you don't need the microtransactions at all? Seems odd of you.

Sure you might not "need" them, but I have zero faith that the game isn't balanced around them/negatively affected by them.

EA has a track record of jamming microtransactions into games, and in every single case I can think of the game is worse off for their inclusion.

Paying for an unlock that you can use forever isn't nearly as bad as paying for limited use items or boosts. So I'm cautiously optimistic. I spent a hundred hours playing the first PvZ so I wouldn't hesitate to buy PvZ2 if it was $15. But if I can play through the whole game and maybe spend $5-$10 on unlocks? That doesn't seem like the end of the world.

cluderi

Sure you might not "need" them, but I have zero faith that the game isn't balanced around them/negatively affected by them.

EA has a track record of jamming microtransactions into games, and in every single case I can think of the game is worse off for their inclusion.

I've completed the first "time zone" and am working on getting 3 stars for each of the levels and haven't spent a cent. Sure a couple of stars would have probably been easier if I'd have bought a plant or two but I haven't found anything yet (emphasis on yet) that's felt like I couldn't do it without an in app purchase.

Interfectum

I have a mental block about microtransactions/IAP. I'd happily pay ten or fifteen bucks for the game, but free-to-play with in-app purchases just bugs the hell out of me. It feels so... I dunno, manipulative. Or like paying to win. I have the same problem with the heroes in Kingdom Rush and Frontiers. Love the game, would happily pay a little more if they didn't include the IAP, but can't stand the thought of actually paying specifically for those.

The only time I've ever bought something in a game was the new level packs in Where's My Water, but those were more like whole new games.

I have the same problem. I hate it when games take me out of the moment by tapping me on the shoulder and telling me to open my wallet. I'd much rather pay more up front and never have the game mention money to me again.

SmokyDave

I have the same problem. I hate it when games take me out of the moment by tapping me on the shoulder and telling me to open my wallet. I'd much rather pay more up front and never have the game mention money to me again.
I don't mind IAP in free games that I've spent hours enjoying. I must have spent about £30 on Simpsons: Tapped Out, but that probably works out to about 20p per hour. I've been playing it on and off for months, which is more than I can say for many £40 retail titles I've bought this year. I see it kinda like ads on websites or YouTube, the creators of the free content I'm enjoying have got to eat.

I get annoyed when full price console games make a play for my wallet. Need for Speed and Forza in particular. No I don't want to spend real money to unlock that car, and no I don't appreciate seeing padlocked cars in the showroom.

Dartastic

I just hate going back and doing challenges to get enough stars to unlock the next area. I don't like the challenges, I don't want to pay to unlock the next area; I would have rather just paid 4 or 5 bucks upfront and be able to progress through the game normally. :/

I just hate going back and doing challenges to get enough stars to unlock the next area. I don't like the challenges, I don't want to pay to unlock the next area; I would have rather just paid 4 or 5 bucks upfront and be able to progress through the game normally. :/

You can still pay, it is just about the amount. Even then you are avoiding playing more PvZ2...so that you can play more PvZ2. It doesn't change all that much.

I've played it for a month or so and got most of the stars. I actually enjoyed it more than one due to the variety. I also didn't buy anything or ever felt the urge. It is very much "pay not to play" in my opinion.

Pallad1um

Despite the semi-disappointment of the F2P aspect of the game, I'm really excited for this game. Beat the game twice, on PC and X360, and really hope the sequel doesn't take long to come out in one of those platforms.

Game's currently out of my scope of play, but I really enjoyed the original. A lot. Can't wait for a PC, handheld, and console port with a more flat price.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It is most definitely about time, I can't say I am a big fan of the new art style compared to the first, but I fully expect to spend countless hours playing it tomorrow regardless. And not to port beg, but I think my favourite PvZ experience was on the Vita if only for the shaking to collect sun, so hopefully it will hit the device at some point in time.

Do we know about what time GMT it is likely to come out, or is it just going to be at some point during the day whenever they decide to put it up?

SmokyDave

Do we know about what time GMT it is likely to come out, or is it just going to be at some point during the day whenever they decide to put it up?
I'm wondering that. They always go up at midnight, so it should be up in half an hour, technically. Not sure if they class midnight as the start or the end of the day though.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Plants Vs. Zombies is legit one of my favourite games, but it seems like they decided to pick all the things that would make me as uninterested in this sequel as possible. Even the art style is worse!

A darn shame from the looks of things, though maybe it'll all come together when it comes out.

numble

I have a mental block about microtransactions/IAP. I'd happily pay ten or fifteen bucks for the game, but free-to-play with in-app purchases just bugs the hell out of me. It feels so... I dunno, manipulative. Or like paying to win. I have the same problem with the heroes in Kingdom Rush and Frontiers. Love the game, would happily pay a little more if they didn't include the IAP, but can't stand the thought of actually paying specifically for those.

The only time I've ever bought something in a game was the new level packs in Where's My Water, but those were more like whole new games.

I got every single star without paying a cent. I think buying those special plants would make it unbalanced and too easy, to be honest.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm wondering that. They always go up at midnight, so it should be up in half an hour, technically. Not sure if they class midnight as the start or the end of the day though.

Ah, here's hoping it is tonight then, give me something to do before bed.

Top Bottom