• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies 2 |OT| It's About Time

RangerX

Banned
My friend was quite literally addicted to the first game. I'm not joking he put hundreds of hours into it. It was cool but after a couple of hours that was it for me. I will check this out though.

dream

Neat. I was wondering why this was so ugly on my The New iPad, then the game downloaded Retina assets in the background.

Since they have a PvZ2 splash screen every time you start PvZ1 on Android, it would be nice to have at least a release date, PopCap. Also, PSA: the version of PvZ1 on Google Play is now the "full" one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
in this metaphor, the thread is a pumpkin

OyCisKq.jpg

oh no mr pumpkin why you throwin up?!?! you need surgery!!!!

rCzttw0.jpg

ALL FIXED!!!!!

wYBrEG5.jpg

:)

Darknight

Dont want to sound like port begging but Im curious if EA would make a PS Vita version.

The first game is on PSN for PS3 and Vita. Vita supports everything the mobile version does even DLC/microtransactions so do you guys think EA would release a F2P version when the first one is $15?

x-Lundz-x

iCloud support thank you jeebus! This should be mandatory for all iOS games. I play my iPad at home and my phone on break at work. This will be awesome.

Edit: nice OT!

Thanks, Stump.

Is iCloud syncing working for anyone?

Just erased my Australian version and installed from the USA store and looks like the save file with all my previous progress is not loading, not sure if it's because of the cloud, or simply because saves are not cross-compatible...

Just erased my Australian version and installed from the USA store and looks like the save file with all my previous progress is not loading, not sure if it's because of the cloud, or simply because saves are not cross-compatible...

All I did was download the US version on my Mac, and my iPad version reflected that it was the US version...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm sorta indifferent about this kinda thing but for those that care, sharing usage data is on by default in the settings. At least here where I downloaded it (Canada).

dream

It also instantly downloads the Retina assets over cellular, for those who are mindful of their data usage.

Crap. This sucks. Sold my iPhone 4 awhile back and my iPod Touch 1st gen and the 1st gen iPad can't play it. GRRRRRRRRR

GRRRRR

gr :'(

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
From a quick play through of the first few levels before bed, going from how many are in this area and assumin the next ones are the same, that is a lot of levels to play compared to the first PvZ.

I also keep shaking my phone to pick up sun like on the Vita version which of course does nothing, shame it didn't make its way over to other versions and platforms.

cjkeats

I liked the way they made the tutorial optional. Certainly not my first time to the garden.
The plot is jus tthe kind of non-sene I like too. Good old Crazy-Dave.

LegoDad

From a quick play through of the first few levels before bed, going from how many are in this area and assumin the next ones are the same, that is a lot of levels to play compared to the first PvZ.

I also keep shaking my phone to pick up sun like on the Vita version which of course does nothing, shame it didn't make its way over to other versions and platforms.
This so this..

Kept shaking the phone hoping it would work... terrible design decision.

Heel

Well, so far it feels like I got a game for free. Guess I'll have to wait and see how the coins and keys play out.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I love PvZ so so much.

Disappointing that some of my favorite plants from the original are paywalled (RIP in peace, Squash), but I'll play the shit out of it anyway.

Can't wait.

Torchwood for me (and to a lesser extent, Snow Pea) :'(

RustyO

Will be interesting to see peoples comments on this; had it for a month now,got 98% of stars; and have mixed thoughts. (But the price is right)

Feel free to ask
questions
and I'll try and provide
answers
if you want.

Violet_0

Banned
I didn't like how for every new chapter (night, pool, rooftop) you got a new selection of plants that you pretty much had to use, which subsequentially became useless in the next chapter. No Android release date is rather annoying as well. I'm honestly much more excited about the 3D game

So coins are worthless now? Outside of paying to auto-clear zombies with clumsy gesture controls. And you can't earn upgrades? So it's completely linear and incredibly easy, basically?

IGN's review says you can enjoy the game without spending a cent, EXCEPT for new plants. What are those new plants? They're $2.99 each? And they're locked?

Eterniti

I'm about 8 levels into Egypt right now, which is the first world, and I haven't found the need to pay for anything yet.

The content trickle is interesting: After every other level or so, you get a new plant, and there are even other "locked" plants behind areas that require keys, which seem to be random drops during levels.

The kinds of mini-games they have are great. One of which was a match 2, where you flip stone slabs and match the symbols behind them, which was a nice change of pace.

Coins can be used to buy more plant food, which temporarily beef up plants (i.e. using plant food on flowers automatically gets you a lot of sun in a short burst, using plant food on pea shooters will temporarily turn it into a rapid firing pea shooter for a short time) but this is not necessary given that some flashing zombies actually give you 1 plant food. You can also buy touch powerups, that enable you to either zap, pinch, or flick zombies away, but they're too overpriced to use IMO.

So far, I'm able to use all the knowledge I've gained from playing the original PvZ to get through the levels. It'll be interesting to see what the other levels offer.

D3VI0US

So I played a bit, pay wall doesn't seem too bad, you can get by without the plants that are for sale and it looks like there are plenty of other plants to unlock in the game. I am just a little underwhelmed by this game so far, I mean for all the years of waiting it's pretty much the same game so far, but I am very very early. Not sure how many new plants and a few new mechanics that are not that interesting like gestures and plant food, it's just been stupid easy so far but I'm only like 7 or 8 levels in. Maybe it will get better later in the game, I sure hope so, because right now it seems like it's a pretty safe and barebones overall package. I think they released it and will continue to add content but if all that content is generic filler what's the point? I just hope there are just as many minigames and the zen garden and all that other extra stuff that made the first game so interesting. Just wanted to fire it up before bed, we'll see if it gets better.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This game's difficulty curve is definitely much sharper than the first game's. If my builds from PvZ1 didn't work so well I can see newcomers having trouble.. OR spending a shitload on IAP to get through.

The whole in-game economy kinda sucks. I wish there was something I could do with it aside from buying crutches..

I don't know why anyone is worried about the difficulty. The original game was easy as fuck, hell it didn't even take me that long to be able to survive indefinitely in survival mode.

If the extra stuff ends up making the game a little harder i don't mind that at all. It still won't be THAT hard because they are balancing the game around the average player and even with those advantages they won't be nearly as good as anyone who is half decent at the game.

From what i have played the game is more difficult and i'm loving that.

SmokyDave

Woohoo, downloading before I set off to work. Glad to hear it downloads retina assets, the 44.7MB file size had me worried for a minute.

Loving the pumpkin metaphor further up. Sometimes visuals aid learning.

Ennoia

Banned
Please be satisfied and thankful for what PopCap have done, English players, otherwise I suggest you try the OFFICIAL CHINESE VERSION, with 90% plants can only be unlocked by IAP or you want to spend thousands of hours in it.

In Chinese version, most plants can't be unlocked by beating levels, player need to collect 10-40 or even more stars to unlock some, but most stars are super difficult or impossible to challenge without certain plants, and most one-star normal level are difficult enough without them, just like Great Wall Edition, every level is a pay-wall.

Coins can be used to purchase only 5 kinds of plants, but the number needed is 100K-600k, and coins are almost useless because the finger power and plant food need real money to purchase.

This is another PopCap production.

Top Bottom