• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies 2 |OT| It's About Time

Hey also wondering are the zen garden and other mini games in PvZ2. I just started but those were really fun in the original and would love to see them come back. If any one can answer that I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey also wondering are the zen garden and other mini games in PvZ2. I just started but those were really fun in the original and would love to see them come back. If any one can answer that I would greatly appreciate it.

Nothing like that at this stage.

Lol just starting the game. Im interested in how this is gonna be compared to the original. How far in is the Cannons Away level?

About half way through. The harder ones are optional ... and completely stupid.

This game's difficulty curve is definitely much sharper than the first game's. If my builds from PvZ1 didn't work so well I can see newcomers having trouble.. OR spending a shitload on IAP to get through.

The whole in-game economy kinda sucks. I wish there was something I could do with it aside from buying crutches..

Certain levels are especially the side missions...but plant food and the odd power makes the standard missions a breeze, especially with one overpowered plant.

NewGame

Banned
PvZ2 is great but the pay-to-win option is just dirty, even if I'm not using it every now and again the pop up for buying coins appears and reminds you how stupid mobile platforms assume their consumers are.

Ennoia

Banned

RustyO

Whoever designed the Cannons Away levels can go fuck themselves.

This x2. Only star I am missing there. Quite disliked those levels.

Certain levels are especially the side missions...but plant food and the odd power makes the standard missions a breeze, especially with one overpowered plant.

Out of curiosity / comparing notes; what is the one overpowered plant?

Spoiler the answer please?

Well played a couple levels but I'm done for the night. It was very enjoyable yet didn't seem much different from the original. I did not see much wrong with that at all. Though of course I'm gonna need to play a lot more to see how I truly feel about the game as a whole.

SmokyDave

In digging it so far. It very much seems like more PvZ, but that's no bad thing.

I'd forgotten how good the soundtrack was.

I just don't understand F2P models especially for a release like this. Does EA actually make more money from IAPs compared to selling this game for $3-6? I can't believe that! Do casual phone owners really fork up IAPs purchases like this giving EA more money?

Not just EA but any mobile game developer.

Can't believe IAPs is becoming big business. Makes me want to throw up or give up on gaming forever if this is the future. :(

stktt

Banned
I just don't understand F2P models especially for a release like this. Does EA actually make more money from IAPs compared to selling this game for $3-6? I can't believe that! Do casual phone owners really fork up IAPs purchases like this giving EA more money?

Not just EA but any mobile game developer.

Can't believe IAPs is becoming big business. Makes me want to throw up or give up on gaming forever if this is the future. :(

A far larger pool of users who can potentially spend more than $3-6.

Kyari

I just don't understand F2P models especially for a release like this. Does EA actually make more money from IAPs compared to selling this game for $3-6?

Given that individual plants are $3-6, absolutely they do.

This isn't a bad game, but it feels like they are desperately trying to get my money by making previous essentials like the Snow Pea an IAP.

Played a bunch of it.

I have no idea why this is free to play. They've only asked money so far to immediately unlock things that you are gonna unlock anyway by just playing the game normally. So the model isn't bothering me in the slightest.

Polo67

Played a bunch of it.

I have no idea why this is free to play. They've only asked money so far to immediately unlock things that you are gonna unlock anyway by just playing the game normally. So the model isn't bothering me in the slightest.

Does that include all the plants ?

Does that include all the plants ?

I'm not sure about that part yet. I've unlocked some plants that the game was offering for sale earlier, but I don't know if that's how it works for all of them. I would guess there's a couple IAP only plants, but like... whatever. I'm not using half the plants as it is, there being another one for me to not use isn't ruining anything.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Having played this through I was having a great time until I hit the end of the first area, when it told me I had to get 35 stars or something to continue. I had about 4 or 5. I don't really want to replay the previous levels 30 times with some pretty annoying restrictions to get through to the next stage, but there's no other option unless I pay. Maybe I'm not getting the full depth of the game this way, but as a casual PVZ player there's not a massive appeal for me to replay the same levels over and over that way. I don't mind if I had to get maybe 10 stars this way, but around 30 is way too much. Very frustrating. Went from playing it pretty much non-stop to not touching it within a day.

redcrayon

Quite enjoying it so far, but not impressed at having to do the same levels over and over again to see world two. The bit where it forces you to go to the store so it can show you that you can immediately spend £70 on in-game money made me feel a bit ill. I won't be paying a penny on IAP just because of that, but will happily pay a tenner or so for a full-fat version of the game with everything unlocked later on if they choose to release one. Still, I'm sure their gullible 'whale' customers and kids maxing out their parents credit cards will prop them up and they won't miss the £20 I spent on three different copies of the first game.

First sign of any more repetitive grinding and it's going to be deleted. I love PVZ but can't support this business model that constantly begs for money with one hand while keeping content behind overpriced paywalls with the other.

Out of curiosity / comparing notes; what is the one overpowered plant?

Spoiler the answer please?

I was able to beat most of the levels easily with
Cannons. They have a slow cool down but can hit zombies in multiple rows. The trick is plant food will immediately wake them up and also wipe out an entire row of zombies. Beyond a certain annoying small type of zombie they have got you covered.

Of course most anything will work in the game most of the time. Having a head start on sun by feeding a double sunflower plant food also helps a huge amount.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game owns. It feels like PvZ. Some of the annoying F2P hooks are there, but I haven't felt the need to spend a cent yet. I would say that the appeal of the first game is for the most part in tact, and the new zombies and plants and the SMB3-style overworld map are all welcome additions. I don't see any reason this won't be my most played mobile game for a long time.

The silver lining of all the F2P stuff is that it might make PVZ2 harder than the first game, which would be great for me considering I never, ever lost a single round throughout the entirety of PVZ1. Hopefully the sequel will get me at least once.

Minsc

Gold Member
Having played this through I was having a great time until I hit the end of the first area, when it told me I had to get 35 stars or something to continue. I had about 4 or 5. I don't really want to replay the previous levels 30 times with some pretty annoying restrictions to get through to the next stage, but there's no other option unless I pay. Maybe I'm not getting the full depth of the game this way, but as a casual PVZ player there's not a massive appeal for me to replay the same levels over and over that way. I don't mind if I had to get maybe 10 stars this way, but around 30 is way too much. Very frustrating. Went from playing it pretty much non-stop to not touching it within a day.

If you're replaying the same level with annoying restrictions, is it really the same level? Restricting what items you can use can drastically change how a levels plays, such a mode sounds like a great addition to me, because otherwise most levels are sorta the same right? Generally I always bring the same 8 or so plants to a level, so mixing that up a bit would make things more interesting than a "new" level where I once again take the same plants and do the same things as all the rest.

Clunker

If you're replaying the same level with annoying restrictions, is it really the same level? Restricting what items you can use can drastically change how a levels plays, such a mode sounds like a great addition to me, because otherwise most levels are sorta the same right? Generally I always bring the same 8 or so plants to a level, so mixing that up a bit would make things more interesting than a "new" level where I once again take the same plants and do the same things as all the rest.
I just started replaying the first world levels for stars, and so far I find the restrictions pretty novel. For reference, the first level has 3 stars to pick up (and all include "don't lose a lawnmower" as a requirement):
1: Don't let zombies trample Dave's flower line (between the third and fourth column from the left)
2: don't plant in first two columns on left, don't have more than 12 plants at a time
3: don't spend more than 1200 sun, don't lose more than 1 plant (includes potato mines and shields)

You have to do these in order and per star (think Mario 64 or Galaxy, so you can't pick up 2 stars at once). It does force you to adapt your build order, which I find refreshing, and knowing the zombie spawn waves and composition is pretty key to figuring out which plants to bring.

So far I'm loving it - the F2P model is really loose as far as letting you play as much as you want without paying (no energy mechanics or Friend requests necessary AFAIK). I can't find any real functional qualms with this being F2P; people might have ideological qualms, but that sounds like a personal problem to me. ;)

Lunzio

I'll dig into this more over the coming weeks. Going to see how long it can tide me over without paying. Still unsure (after 10 minutes of play) where to buy anything with coins, though. It seems everything in the store costs real money.

johnny956

PvZ2 is great but the pay-to-win option is just dirty, even if I'm not using it every now and again the pop up for buying coins appears and reminds you how stupid mobile platforms assume their consumers are.

Actually they are really smart (look at Simpsons Tapped Out, been in the top 10 grossing on the app store for ages). Candy Crush is the same. These games bring in more revenue then if they sold the game for $4.99 or whatever price they set it at just due to the larger audience. Now if people didn't actually buy in-app purchases we wouldn't have F2P. Simple as that

mcfrank

So I think this game might be in trouble. It is currently the #1 downloaded app but is not even in the top 100 of top grossing apps (It is #184 as of right now). For the most part, the free to play in this game is not too bad (i.e. no time limits, you can beat the game without paying if you want). It appears, at least in this short time frame, that they struck a really bad balance (from a business perspective) for how much the game annoys you to pay for things. They would have been better off either making the game more annoying in its asking for money, or just making it a paid app with the whole thing unlocked. They seem to have the worst of both worlds, all of the backlash of a free to play game, but none of that addictive revenue. To put it in perspective, PvZ1 is currently outgrossing PvZ2.

Of course the game has only been out for 15 hours or so, so this might change.

That's a really dumb trick just to knock out iPhone 3GS and iPad 1 then.

Which trick would you prefer to exclude those devices?

I just started replaying the first world levels for stars, and so far I find the restrictions pretty novel. For reference, the first level has 3 stars to pick up (and all include "don't lose a lawnmower" as a requirement):
1: Don't let zombies trample Dave's flower line (between the third and fourth column from the left)
2: don't plant in first two columns on left, don't have more than 12 plants at a time
3: don't spend more than 1200 sun, don't lose more than 1 plant (includes potato mines and shields)

You have to do these in order and per star (think Mario 64 or Galaxy, so you can't pick up 2 stars at once). It does force you to adapt your build order, which I find refreshing, and knowing the zombie spawn waves and composition is pretty key to figuring out which plants to bring.

So far I'm loving it - the F2P model is really loose as far as letting you play as much as you want without paying (no energy mechanics or Friend requests necessary AFAIK). I can't find any real functional qualms with this being F2P; people might have ideological qualms, but that sounds like a personal problem to me. ;)

Yeah I don't think people realize the depth and creativity these challenges present-it's really creative. It forces you to change up your plan every level. Some of these levels are incredibly tough.

RivalCore

Anyone know how long the Challenge Zones go on for? I'm at level 13 on the desert one and I feel like I'm about to hit a brick wall in terms of challenge so I might go get new plants.

Silvawuff

Finally got to spend some time with this. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. The higher difficulty is definitely welcome. Not bad for a free game I have no intention of throwing any money at.

RustyO

I hope the minigames/challenge mode you unlocked after completing the first game is still here in the second one. Loved those.

No seperate minigames (as of yet); but there are minigames in the worlds.

I still play PvZ purely for the vase breaker minigame.

Still haven't seen an answer to this and wondering as well. Zen Garden was great.

No Zen Garden

Anyone know how long the Challenge Zones go on for? I'm at level 13 on the desert one and I feel like I'm about to hit a brick wall in terms of challenge so I might go get new plants.

Talking about the pyramid of doom? Infinite as far as I know.

The only iOS device I have is an iPhone 5 and this game is completely infuriating to play on such a tiny, tiny screen. : (

I'm having no trouble at all.

In fact I've been addicted to it all day. Got through the whole of Egypts 40 stars and dabbled in the pyramid. On to Pirates stage now. Having a blast, literally :p

Won't be spending a penny on the F2P model though. And so far nothing has made me have to either. Might buy it if they release a proper version though.

I'm having no trouble at all.

In fact I've been addicted to it all day. Got through the whole of Egypts 40 stars and dabbled in the pyramid. On to Pirates stage now. Having a blast, literally :p

Won't be spending a penny on the F2P model though. And so far nothing has made me have to either. Might buy it if they release a proper version though.

While I definetely didn't see a need to spend any money on it-I did buy a couple of the plants. I figured I spent 10 bucks on the last game-I'll throw Popcap some money for this one.

Top Bottom