• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Played GT4. Very impressed.

Had a chance to clock some time with Grand Tourismo 4 today. All I have to say is it is well worth it. I think everyone will be impressed with what they see. Graphics are ultra clean and top notch and the gameplay is what you would expect.

Bog

Junior Ace
Wario64 said:
Wow, sweet. I wasn't sure about GT4 but now it seems I will definately be buying it..

Man, that post screams Bog. Well, except I wouldn't have misspelled definitely.

Gantz

Banned
Do you still bounce off cars? Is there car damage? Does the car damage affect performance? Is it another rehash with better graphics?

I played it at Chi-comicon. Sony always makes an appearance there. They had Jak 3 (didn't play it) there, Sly Cooper 2 (played it, very nice) and some new Eyetoy games.

Jaggies... they are there, but they weren't bad or distracting. AFA damage, I don't know I never crashed :) . It really looks good, it looks like they are really pushing the PS2 all out with this game.

miyuru

I also played GT4 recently. While I won't elaborate any further, all I can say is, it is well worth your time.

TheGreenGiant said:
you lie. JAGGIES > you
I didn't say there wasn't any jaggies. They are there, just they aren't as prononced. I mean, yeah it doesn't look like the frame buffer shots, but it's damn close.

bjork

I only played the prologue, but the only things I can really recall (I only got like five minutes with it at a friend's house) are the photographers jumping out of your way on one rally track, and that "gear limiter" thing... if you go into a turn too sharp and hit the wall going too fast, it puts a 10-second (or maybe it was 15?) limit on your car's ability to get out of second gear.

Still, what I played of it looked pretty cool.

Zaptruder

Banned
This man has told us what we need to know without bogging us down with unecessary details! poster of the year!

Get your wallets out boys, everyone and their dead grandma will be playing GT4 come december.... or later... :(

wazoo

I'm not concerned with jaggies. There are jaggies in movies, too :)

what are the status on popup ?? Are they still bad like in NY ??

wazoo said:
what are the status on popup ?? Are they still bad like in NY ??

If he's still playing Prologue it's going to be the same. Some people said that the popup was cleaned up alot at E3. And with it seeming like GT4 won't come out till 2005, you probably won't have to worry about any pop up in any course.

Black_Mamba said:
Best impressions ever.

Look, I am not going to write a magazine style preview on the game. I mean there have been 3 previous versions of the game, so I think by now you kind of know what to expect, I mean did anyone honestly doubt the quality of this game? So why blab on and on about something that is pretty much established, every GT game has a minimal level of quality, and so far GT4 is just as good if not better.

I just remember seeing a lot of people fighting over if the game looks as good in motion as in screenshots, to which the game, outside of a few jaggies, which aren't even as bad as you would think, looks damn near close to the screenshots.

Mr Gump

Banned
Duckhuntdog said:
Look, I am not going to write a magazine style preview on the game. I mean there have been 3 previous versions of the game, so I think by now you kind of know what to expect, I mean did anyone honestly doubt the quality of this game? So why blab on and on about something that is pretty much established, every GT game has a minimal level of quality, and so far GT4 is just as good if not better.

I just remember seeing a lot of people fighting over if the game looks as good in motion as in screenshots, to which the game, outside of a few jaggies, which aren't even as bad as you would think, looks damn near close to the screenshots.
So you're saying i should just keep with GT3 then and save my money?

SolidSnakex said:
If he's still playing Prologue it's going to be the same. Some people said that the popup was cleaned up alot at E3. And with it seeming like GT4 won't come out till 2005, you probably won't have to worry about any pop up in any course.

It wasn't prologue, AFAIK, it was probably the E3 build. AFA pop-up, it wasn't that bad actually.

Mr Gump said:
So you're saying i should just keep with GT3 then and save my money?
LOL! Well, of course that has been significant improvments. What I ment was that you pretty much know the quality you are going to get with this game.

I just find it odd that PS2 owners are highly defensive about this game, especially when it comes to compairing it to Gotham. I wouldn't worry if I were a GT fan, it's got Gotham beat in looks, and in the two most important factors:gameplay and sales.

Now should this game have Online support, which I assuming it will, well then, that's pretty much the end of that arguement.

Minotauro said:
So, it still has sluggish control?

I swear people come up with new excuses to bash GT every day. I've heard the slow speed before (which doesn't exist in GT4 anymore) but sluggish controls? WTF?

jedimike

Is this some kind of joke thread or something??? Your impressions are crap.

Duckhuntdog said:
I wouldn't worry if I were a GT fan, it's got Gotham beat in looks, and in the two most important factors:gameplay and sales.

Sales make the game play better? And how many copies has it sold? Dude, just admit you didn't play it. So far you haven't written anything to convince anyone.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
SolidSnakex said:
I swear people come up with new excuses to bash GT every day. I've heard the slow speed before (which doesn't exist in GT4 anymore) but sluggish controls? WTF?

I have Prologue and I swear it feels like I'm driving a bathtub on wheels.

Then again, I've always leaned toward the arcade style racing games (you know, ones with fun) so feel free to completely disregard my opinion. I realize they're trying to do different things but the driving in Rallisport 2 is about a million times more compelling than the driving in GT4. It just isn't exciting.

aoi tsuki

Minotauro said:
So, it still has sluggish control and a nonexistant sense-of-speed?
GT has always felt slow, but from what i've read of a few recent GT4 impressions, they've really improved the feeling of speed (or lack thereof).

ghostface

jedimike said:

Sales make the game play better?
Um, that's not at all what he said.

And GT4 will absolutely anal rape PGR2 in sales, and you know it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Then again, I've always leaned toward the arcade style racing games (you know, ones with fun) so feel free to completely disregard my opinion. I realize they're trying to do different things but the driving in Rallisport 2 is about a million times more compelling than the driving in GT4. It just isn't exciting.
I'm just wondering, when people say things like this - have you even bothered to play the game with anything faster than VW beetle, or to play the rally mode? If you can say that the rally mode in GT3 is slow that's just nonsense to me...

jedimike

ghostface said:
Um, that's not at all what he said.

And GT4 will absolutely anal rape PGR2 in sales, and you know it.

What did he say genius? Let me tell you... sales is one of the two most important factors of the game. Seems clear to me that duckhunt wants you to believe that your buying decision should be based on sales and gameplay.

Minotauro

Marconelly said:
I'm just wondering, when people say things like this - have you even bothered to play the game with anything faster than VW beetle, or to play the rally mode? If you can say that the rally mode in GT3 is slow that's just nonsense to me...

I can't remember which car I used exactly but it was one of the upper level ones available the Japanese Prologue disc. Rallisport and even NFS:HP2 completely trounce it as far as speed goes.

Dilbert

I also had a chance to play GT4, and it was SO much fun! I especially like how you can drop banana peels and launch shells at cars in front of you.

Minotauro

teepo said:
the gt series has the best sense of speed in any racer. period.

Oh, c'mon. Even the most jingoistic Sony fanatic on the planet wouldn't make a claim like this.

ghostface

jedimike said:
What did he say genius? Let me tell you
Regardless of how right or wrong his statement was, you were still incorrect in interprating his post as saying "sales make the gameplay better" (you words, aren't they?), when that's not at all what he said. And with the amount of sales threads around here (how many of them have you participated in again?), you would think that sales are almost as important as gameplay. Whatever.

In any case, I'm sure you still have fun with PGR2, and if not, well, you're still like THE biggest Xbot here anyway. :p

Edit: I personally enjoy arcade racers over sims. To me, GT3 was stunning at first only b/c of it's visuals (still is), but that quickly wore off.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh, c'mon. Even the most jingoistic Sony fanatic on the planet wouldn't make a claim like this.
As far as copying the speed of motion that happens in real life at that same speed, yes, GT3 is doing that pretty much spot-on, which has been tested and proven with people driving a real car with a camera. Is that a good thing, or a 'best' sense of speed, is of course entirely up to individual interpretation.

Personally, I think that really fast cars in GT3 feel, well, really fast. Also, rally mode in GT3 is to this day, my favorite rally game released. Nothing made after it beats the sheer fun of that handling for me.

jedimike said:

Sales make the game play better? And how many copies has it sold? Dude, just admit you didn't play it. So far you haven't written anything to convince anyone.

Yeeeeessss... reading comprehension is not strong in this one. I mean do you need Reading GAF for Dummies or something??

I said it will beat PGR in the amount of copies sold and it beats it flat out in gameplay in this version I played, which I assume is an E3 build

BTW, I forgot to mention that God Of War was also there, but I didn't play that one, but watched a few others play it.

Minotauro said:

I wouldn't say it has the best sense of speed for any racer, but it's sense of speed for sim racers is very good. Especially when you get a really high HP car. Ofcourse with alot of other cars it's not going to have a great sense of speed, but that's your incentive to build your car more. With arcade racers the majority of them have preset HP's, or none at all so ofcourse they all have to have a great sense of speed. Check out this video of a McLaren in GT4, the sense of speed is great I think:

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/489/489327/vids_7.html

The NSX vids on that page are good also.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I like the sos in rrv and daytona usa :cool:

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Those who claim GT games have lousy sense of speed probably don't have a driver's license/or don't know how to drive. Next time you're out on the highway and on a nice straightway pay attention to the objects passing you as you're doing 60...give it two minutes and you'll swear time has slowed down and everything's in slow motion (pay attention to the lane dividers especially!). Then drive 80 and do the same thing. Then compare the results you experienced with GT3/Prologue (whichever). If you still don't see it, then you need your license revoked.

I have a tendency to drive on average at 70-80MPH on our highways in NYC. You have no idea how slow it feels sometimes. I was once doing 100 for a constant 5 minutes because I had absolutely no cars/objects around me so I couldn't sense my speed. Sense of speed in GT games is practically perfect - it's the other games that exagerate it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think Burnout 3 would be qualified as having the best sense of speed (if we're only talking about racing games with cars). Not that I've played the full game, only the demo, and previous games. But based on that, it definitely has potential, so to speak. Hell, there are even graphical effects specifically added to improve the sense of speed. Can't go wrong with that. :D

The unreasonable hate towards GT is most unreasonable tonight it seems.

By the way, I love how much Project Gotham Racing fans are in a perpetual state of denial. Why can't they accept the very possibility that Gran Turismo 4 might turn out to be a better game? Don't get me wrong.... PGR2 is a pretty decent game no doubt, but there seems to be a lot of evidence that GT4 might be one of the finest racing games ever.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
GT3's tracks were wide, hence relatively low sense of speed. It was still perfectly accurate.

Go watch the movie posted by SSx to get an idea of how track width affects sense of speed.

mr2mike

Banned
"Why can't they accept the very possibility that Gran Turismo 4 might turn out to be a better game?"

That's not very hard to accept, I mean even PGR turned out to be a better game than PGR2... making a better racer than PGR2 seems like the easy part to me, I mean it's not like PGR2 is especially good or anything...

I know for a fact that GT4 will be better, because I'll be able to rip around the ring in an Aw11 at 60 fps, wich beats doing so in a Spyder that they didn't even finish modelling, at 30 fps, with a wider, more arcade track that makes it so easy even the most brain dead idiots on live can run it.

/my opinion

mr2mike

Banned
well I'm not duck hunt dog, but I doubt it'd be much different from the car sounds we hear in videos, only without the usual web-based video audio compression..

..that means I'm expecting weed whacker engines :(

Top Bottom