• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

BKK

Yeah, I don't think that SDK is all that useful really.

E3 Flasher recommended price $88 for limited edition (3000 pcs), comes with esata station, so might be worth waiting for standard edition. Their website is overloaded, so here's the pics;

http://www.e3-tech.net/prdouct.html

Video

WRvvN.jpg

wsUwE.jpg

FYk0O.jpg

qkTal.jpg

dloyu.jpg

Bxa0H.jpg

WvHL8.jpg

MVPK8.jpg

3I8cc.jpg

G2LQE.jpg

Xadjy.jpg

VM6T1.jpg

qbaFO.jpg

CU4lK.jpg

squall23

BoboBrazil said:
Hopefully this leads to improvements for showtime media player so it can play high definition videos well:)
What do you mean? I've been watching 1680x1050 resolution mkv files for quite awhile now.

test_account

XP-39C²
BladeoftheImmortal said:
What exactly does this mean?
It is a "modchip" that allows you to switch between firmware 3.70 and 3.55. The ESATA station is a device that makes harddisk swapping faster (which is needed when switching between 3.70 and 3.55).

jediyoshi

Zimbardo said:
i've had my ps3 jailbroken since 3.55 kmeaw first came to be public.

i'm thinking hard about going back to legit firmware today. my jailbroken ps3 just sits there and does nothing for the most part now, and the games i'm most interested in playing are online games and require PSN ...so makes sense to go back.

so what i'm wondering is if there's any point in staying with the jailbreak? like, is there any word on a new one coming any time soon that would make it worthwhile again?

it sucks not being able to play new games.

pretty sure once uncharted 3 comes out, i'm going to make a post identical to this.

LeleSocho

Banned
Sorry for the bump but what should I do to return the ps3 in a vanilla state without being banned and such? A simple firmware upgrade will be enough?
Need to play 3rd Strike :p

Cruceh

Banned
Anybody know what the 3.70 spoofed firmware does? Will it allow me to play later games on disk? Thinking about buying some newer games, but if I won't be able to play it, what's the point. :\

N.A

Banned
Cruceh said:
Anybody know what the 3.70 spoofed firmware does? Will it allow me to play later games on disk? Thinking about buying some newer games, but if I won't be able to play it, what's the point. :\

It just prevents you from accidentally updating.

NM0dz

Neo Member
Cruceh said:

All it does is prevent your PS3 from updating if you or someone else attempts to update it. It won't help you run new games or access PSN in any way. It sucks, but that's all it does : (

BoboBrazil said:
Hopefully this leads to improvements for showtime media player so it can play high definition videos well:)

or compile xbmc under PS3's linux :D

anyways, somebody from gitbrew is working on getting psp and psone classics games to run on PS3. (he mounted Loco Roco on xmb but wouldn't run yet)

Cruceh

Banned
Lame. Guess I'll just keep playing older games. At least I found some gems like Yakuza 4 being forced to play older ones.

Chesskid1

Banned
newest multiman let's you rip psx/ps2/dvd/blu-rays to an HDD.

you can't mount/play them but i'm sure it will be coming in the future when cobra functionality is worked out.

besiktas1

Yep I've decided 100% I'm defiantly going back to OFW... It's been a fun ride. Now all I need is a worthwhile game to come out so I can have a reason to switch the machine on :3

Chesskid1

Banned
people are reporting ico/shadow of coloussus works on 3.55..

too bad i upgraded amirite?

was worth it for a while, but i moved on. if all games can be backed up one day, i may come back. it's just so nice.

browsing all your box arts, click/play. it's just so good.

Gvaz

Banned
besiktas1 said:
Yep I've decided 100% I'm defiantly going back to OFW... It's been a fun ride. Now all I need is a worthwhile game to come out so I can have a reason to switch the machine on :3

So if there's no games, why upgrade?
Chesskid1 said:
people are reporting ico/shadow of coloussus works on 3.55..

too bad i upgraded amirite?

was worth it for a while, but i moved on.
if it's true, that pretty much secures a buy

So why does this game work? Did they find a new method to make newer games work or was there a patch released mistakingly for 3.55 since it's been in development so long?

Gvaz

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Meh, I already updated. One game working out of dozens of releases in the next few months does not resurrect an otherwise dead scene.
It's not dead, it's just "underground" because of sony

BoboBrazil said:
So why does this game work? Did they find a new method to make newer games work or was there a patch released mistakingly for 3.55 since it's been in development so long?
Because they didn't compile with the 3.60 keys like smart people. they probably simply weren't aware of the current issue on ps3 with backups.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
LOL, this might keep me from going to OFW for a while. I've been thinking about it for some time and whilst this won't change anything in the long run, it's nice bit of luck.

I upgraded to the new FW to play Resistance 3. Now I want to go back to 3.55 OFW, but does anyone have a working OFW 3.55? When I go to safe mode on my PS3 and to system upgrade, it says data is corrupt.

Gvaz

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I upgraded to the new FW to play Resistance 3. Now I want to go back to 3.55 OFW, but does anyone have a working OFW 3.55? When I go to safe mode on my PS3 and to system upgrade, it says data is corrupt.
The only way to go back is via a soldered modchip. I can't do it for you, and there's a lot of soldering from what I hear.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Holy shit really? So there's no way to go back to OFW 3.55? I want to go back to 3.55 CFW. :(

Is there any way of doing CFW again? I think It's on OFW 3.66 now. :(
It is possible, but as Gvaz mentioned, you need some hardware to do it. It will cost you about $70 and it requires that you open your PS3. If you have a PS3 Slim, then there is no solder i think.

Gvaz

Banned
People who wanted cfw but wanted to play new games just bought a newer ps3, just like those who wanted to have a modded 360 but not lose their account.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jason's Ultimatum said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Oh well. And I meant to say 3.60. I wanted to play some older games to hold me off until Uncharted 3.
If it was that easy to update and downgrade the PS3 firmware as to just going into service mode, then there wouldnt be that much need for 3.60+ keys :) Then people could just update and downgrade the PS3 real easy when they wanted to play a new game.

The downgrade works from 3.70 (not sure about 3.72) at least, no idea about from 3.60. But it is of course then just to update to 3.70 before doing the downgrade.

ss_lemonade

Weird how Sony allowed this to slip to work on older firmwares. I think El Shaddai is also one of the newer games that was patched/made to work with older firmwares?

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying the new ps3 wireless 7.1 headphones. Will they work on older/3.55 firmware?

Sooo, I was just reading PS3news (not sure if I can direct link) and it talks about a 3.72 Ultimate Spoofer CFW that was just released. Anyone here know anything about it?

NM0dz

Neo Member
Choppasmith said:
Sooo, I was just reading PS3news (not sure if I can direct link) and it talks about a 3.72 Ultimate Spoofer CFW that was just released. Anyone here know anything about it?

Yes, basically all the spoofer does is prevent your PS3 upgrading accidentally. That is seriously the extent of the 3.72 spoofer function...

hopefully a user-friendly version of the hardware needed to downgrade is released at some point ( I want my complete Beatles DLC back that i lost due to a corrupt HDD!!!). but the scene won't become big until people can freely CFW with just a USB stick on any firmware... until then this scene will remain niche at best

georaldc said:
Weird how Sony allowed this to slip to work on older firmwares. I think El Shaddai is also one of the newer games that was patched/made to work with older firmwares?

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying the new ps3 wireless 7.1 headphones. Will they work on older/3.55 firmware?

I think it works fine because there was a japanese version earlier which required lower Fw than 3.60. Probably Eboots were the same. So people used jap. eboot for the EU and the USA versions of the game.

Choppasmith said:

No, it just prevents you or others from installing new fws accidently.

JFW DH firmware:

will integrate an exploit that will allow you to play all future games, we will not release the method but this exploit is not keys related, as we don't need them anymore.

I'll believe it when I see it.

What happened to the people behind the Kmeaw firmware?

test_account

XP-39C²
Wax Free Vanilla said:
JFW DH firmware:

I'll believe it when I see it.
I read about this earlier and honestly i have no idea how it should be possible. If the eboot.bin for every PS3 game was exactly the same, then i could maybe see that there was an exploit around this, but as far as i know, the eboot.bin are different from game to game. And if you cant decrypt it, then the file would look like a mess due to being encrypted.

The only way i can think about is if there is some exploit that allows you to boot games without having to use the eboot.bin, but doesnt the eboot.bin include info on how the particular game shall be booted? Kinda similar to an .exe file on PC? If this is the case, i really wonder how it is possible to get around this.

I think that it is weird that they make such claim if there is no truth to it though, that is what i'm most puzzled about. But only time will tell what happens.

Gvaz

Banned
Maybe they could modify the fw to sort of give a dummy npdrm key while accessing the eboot and then at some point the fw is able to read the npdrm key, then it pulls it and uses that to verify?

Not sure how the checks on ps3 work though

MMaRsu

Banned
Weird, nprdrm seems to have been hacked or something? I'm hearing about PSN games being cracked or something.. :/

Top Bottom