• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

snap0212

Am I the only one who's really, really interested in seeing how Sony will react to all of this? Will they just put out one Firmware after another? Maybe they even actually have (or will have) a way to prevent us from using custom firmware? Will they try to deliver as many features as possible in a short amount of time to get us to constantly update to the newest Firmware? I don't know much about the details, but it just seems so crazy to think that Sony can do absolutely nothing to stop anyone from using a custom Firmware.

//B1G

Banned
all i know is it's probably more than likely going to suck a lot harder for the people that don't even know what custom firmware means

snap0212

//B1G said:
all i know is it's probably more than likely going to suck a lot harder for the people that don't even know what custom firmware means
Well, the updates sucked for everyone who's only interested in Gaming/Blu-Ray. The last good thing was the introduction of Trophies. We've not seen any improvements on the gaming side since then, have we? A custom firmware might finally be able to change that... to enhance my gaming experience.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Diablohead said:
It's amazing how quickly stuff is being pumped out now, it might nearly all be emulators right now but still, so nice. Can't wait to see what happens over the month.

Right now we're getting quick and dirty updates on existing homebrew that was originally created for the Jailbreak dongle. Now that the doors are wide open, i can imagine more coders will jump on board and start doing original projects.

The PSP scene I think will serve as a template for how this will pan out. Emulators and simple programs came first, then we had Youtube and video software, replacement web browsers and wider media support. The PS3 has more features and abilities than the PSP and much more potential.

I imagine the homebrew wishlist posted in the thread here is already under consideration by folks able to bring them to the scene.

Exciting times.

MMaRsu

Banned
apprently there is version 2 of the CFW for 3.41, 3.55

V1: Initial version, Debug options only in Games
V2: Debug options enabled in the Game and PSN

from the ps3SOS site

//B1G

Banned
i'm just saying that whatever sony's steps to circumvent the custom doods' fun is just going to be irritating for every other user, just like all these last-minute FW updates that've come before this, ala GT5's.

MMaRsu

Banned
Well I'm gonna wait it out for a bit.

I don't have a usb stick that works, so that's one. Second I just have a brand new Ps3 slim which is just a month old and I don't want my acces to PSN denied or something. Or my console bricked lol.

They'll probably react the same way they did with the PSP. Release some cool firmware enabled feature. Like back in the day when 1.50 FW on the PSP was the SHIT, sony tried to convince people to update by making FW 2.00 seem viable by adding a Web Browser anndd by forcing it as an install for GTA: Liberty City Stories. It worked for a while.

But once people are underneath, there will always be a way to resurface.

MMaRsu said:

from the ps3SOS site
What sort of debug options are there, exactly?

Unfortunately until a rock-solid 64, DC, or Saturn emu comes out there's nothing the PS3 can do that my oXbox can't. Except for maybe PS1 - PS3 can play PS1 games, right? But can it run backups? No one is touching my FF originals, even myself. :lol

sajj316

darkjedi187 said:
Playing GBA/SNES game sin 720p will be so awesome. now my Wii really won't get used. :D

This are either moving too fast or I'm incredibly slow. I just got the Wii to run snes9x and now the PS3 is running them in 1080p.

I am very excited about FBA Next and potential DC emulation

What I would like in future versions of these emulators (if improved upon) is something similar to Wiiflow and CFG USB Loader. I would like to cycle through a nice catalog instead of a file list.

sajj316

Genesis Knight said:
Unfortunately until a rock-solid 64, DC, or Saturn emu comes out there's nothing the PS3 can do that my oXbox can't. Except for maybe PS1 - PS3 can play PS1 games, right? But can it run backups? No one is touching my FF originals, even myself. :lol

:) ... my FF 7, 8, 9 (not greatest hits) still unopened and will remain that way for a VERY long time.

kitch9

Banned
snap0212 said:
Am I the only one who's really, really interested in seeing how Sony will react to all of this? Will they just put out one Firmware after another? Maybe they even actually have (or will have) a way to prevent us from using custom firmware? Will they try to deliver as many features as possible in a short amount of time to get us to constantly update to the newest Firmware? I don't know much about the details, but it just seems so crazy to think that Sony can do absolutely nothing to stop anyone from using a custom Firmware.

No you're not the only one.

I can't believe that during development of the PS3 they didn't discuss various doomsday scenarios like the one that has transpired and how it would be combated.

As far as I'm aware there are 2 levels of security that haven't been broken yet with one being the hardware encrypted SPU on the cell. I don't think the hackers will ever break this unless IBM or Sony leak the key. I'm wondering if the next update will be an update within a update with encrypted code payload that can only be run on the secure SPU which will install a freshly encrypted firmware with keys done right for future games.

All consoles and previous games that don't update will be lost to homebrew heaven, but going forward PSN and future games could be secure.

Saying that Sony appear to be mentally retarded, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd all just sat round drinking tea instead of thinking about doomsday scenarios.

If I was Sony I'd be knocking on Geohots door with a blank cheque saying "make it stop, and show me how this will never happen again." He clearly is much more intelligent than their brightest techs.

I would then present him with a second blank cheque and tell him he can cash it when the console gets to the end of its life unhacked.

PS4 should just embrace the homebrewers and ship with a virtual machine that they can mess around with homebrew without compromising the consoles kernel.

sajj316

Keyser Soze said:
FBA has beaten me... I just do not know

eso76 said:
ooohh, fbanext appears to be rather sweet running on ps3.
There's videos of sf3 and metal slug on the tube and they're both flawless.

from what i read roms should be placed here:

Place your roms in /dev_hdd0/game/FBAN00000/USRDIR/roms

did that work?

Keyser Soze said:
FBA has beaten me... I just do not know

With most of these arcade emus the roms have to have a specific name that matches the ROMList as well. And usually you have to refresh the list after adding ROMS. And they might show up only if the package has the BIOS for the arcade board you're trying to run. I know nothing about this PS3 build of FBA, just how the FB family has operated in the past.

sajj316 said:
did that work?

I honestly tried everything, and nothing works. Tried roms on USB, roms on the hard drive via FTP. Multiple location... any combo I found on the web or thanks to helpful folk on here. I even tried hunting about in FTP, deleting all the rouge files/folders created, completely wiping any existence that FCA was even on my PS3, and reinstalling it again, and that will not work.

:/

angelfly

Keyser Soze said:
I honestly tried everything, and nothing works. Tried roms on USB, roms on the hard drive via FTP. Multiple location... any combo I found on the web or thanks to helpful folk on here. I even tried hunting about in FTP, deleting all the rouge files/folders created, completely wiping any existence that FCA was even on my PS3, and reinstalling it again, and that will not work.

:/
Did you edit the xml file to point to the new locations you've been trying? By default on mine it was using /dev_hdd0/ROMS/FBA as the rom path which worked.

ismaboof

So if I go CFW to play homebrew and stuff but revert back to OFW to go on PSN and play Black Ops, can Sony track my changes?

Sophia

Roms have to be stored at /dev_hdd0/ROMS/FBA/

That's the default in the XML file, at any rate. Capitalization matters. I recommend using the FTP client to set this up.

ismaboof said:
So if I go CFW to play homebrew and stuff but revert back to OFW to go on PSN and play Black Ops, can Sony track my changes?

We don't know yet.

Rur0ni

ismaboof said:
No one really knows yet. This is the safe assumption. You install CFW/MFW and you're forever tainted.

angelfly said:
Did you edit the xml file to point to the new locations you've been trying? By default on mine it was using /dev_hdd0/ROMS/FBA as the rom path which worked.

I think I did that earlier, but I have not since I cleared up all the extra file/folders I created. I will try that now. Thanks!

Rur0ni

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f118/ps3-3-55-cfw-peek-poke-backup-managers-can-work-;-75199/

To create the patched PS3UPDAT.PUP:
1. Use bspatch to apply PS3UPDAT.PUP.bsdiff to Sony's official 3.55 PUP, which is available from their website.
2. Ensure that the md5sum of the resulting PS3UPDAT.PUP is 337831fac6a9b05074f73710c4bb7c86

Simply install the patched PS3UPDAT.PUP onto your PS3, then install geohot's jailbreak.

Our PUP can be installed over any firmware version, including 3.55-geohot. If you install over 3.55-geohot, you must reinstall geohot's jailbreak afterwards.
Seems that this is basically 3.55 full firmware + peek/poke patch + geohot jailbreak for pkg install. Will see if backup managers work on it. Also, backup managers such as multiMAN should allow you to back your disks up. Hesitant to test myself until I know a backup manager signed works on it as expected.

All of this sounds fascinating and great... but Im too afraid to risk getting my PS3 banned from the network if it gets detected.

//B1G said:
i'm just saying that whatever sony's steps to circumvent the custom doods' fun is just going to be irritating for every other user, just like all these last-minute FW updates that've come before this, ala GT5's.

Unless they just go for the straight ban on accounts that use custom firmware, gonna be a lot of work on their part tho.

Oh my, I just got FBANext to recognize roms, although now I am getting hit with a "There was an error loading this game. Please check your ROM set" message for every rom. Also, It does not recognize every rom I have in the folder.. only 3 out 5 show.

Well, at least I have made some headway, thanks everyone!

Wii CFG USB Loader

That's what I'm going to be looking for here. If they can come near the quality of CFG I'll be a happy guy when I get another PS3.

Keyser Soze said:
Oh my, I just got FBANext to recognize roms, although now I am getting hit with a "There was an error loading this game. Please check your ROM set" message for every rom. Also, It does not recognize every rom I have in the folder.. only 3 out 5 show.

Your ROMs are badly dumped and also misnamed. Rename them to the proper naming convention to get them to show up (assuming they are supported by FBANext - does this emu have a whitelist?). Also find better, more complete dumps.

EDIT: Looks like you got it.

Glix

Keyser Soze said:

Are your roms in the wrong format or something? Do they have to be unzipped to run in FBA?

edit - you got it! well done!

@ Genesis Knight - Your MOTHERS roms are poorly dumped and misnamed! BURN!

sajj316

gregor7777 said:
Wii CFG USB Loader

That's what I'm going to be looking for here. If they can come near the quality of CFG I'll be a happy guy when I get another PS3.

Dr. Clipper .. you're services are needed :)

I just spent £200 on a new media server box because my PS3 couldn't play .MKVs properly over the network with PSMS

Now I read this...FML

I even had the damn PS3 BR remote!

ismaboof

Fuck I think I'm just going to buy a 160slim, transfer all my 80GB stuff there, and use the 80GB for CFW. Upgrades are cool.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Until it's proven that this does nothing to mess up your upstanding record (I've bought easily over 2k in PSN content) then I will put this right on my PS3. At this time it's simply not worth doing any of this for emulators and such. I can't justify spending another potential 300 (I would want to buy a new one) at this time. But it is rather exciting for everything except backup support. I don't want to worry about buying a 2TB HDD or something similar, just for PS3 backups.

Durante

MMaRsu said:

from the ps3SOS site
Does this include the ability to disable HDCP?

LiquidMetal14 said:
Until it's proven that this does nothing to mess up your upstanding record (I've bought easily over 2k in PSN content) then I will put this right on my PS3. At this time it's simply not worth doing any of this for emulators and such. I can't justify spending another potential 300 (I would want to buy a new one) at this time. But it is rather exciting for everything except backup support. I don't want to worry about buying a 2TB HDD or something similar, just for PS3 backups.

Don't knock it until you've tried i man. Rolling though your collection of 3d Wii game boxes on a HDD is so so nice. I never have to worry about the kids messing up a disc again. Don't have to get up to switch games, game metadata and such. Themes...

HDDs are cheap these days, and using CFG is quite easy.

Top Bottom