• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

N.A

Banned
drkOne said:
I think I missed something mid-way through all of these events.
We're currently able to boot backups from the XMB with some modifying here and there, but not able to get a Loader running with backups listed inside of it? Because of blocked syscalls or something like that?

The jailbreak dongles patched syscalls into lv2 non-permanently which was safe from bricking. The CFW needs to patch lv2 with these syscalls or some other means of mounting the backup. There are two problems:

1) There are numerous checks on boot for lv2 to check integrity.
2) There is new security in 3.55 that is blocking fully accessing the memory.

There was a lot of progress made before all the lawsuits though. But those who were making it have either stopped or gone dark.

Laurent

208f9uc.jpg

drkOne said:
I think I missed something mid-way through all of these events.
We're currently able to boot backups from the XMB with some modifying here and there, but not able to get a Loader running with backups listed inside of it? Because of blocked syscalls or something like that?
Don't know exactly what this means but it seems that there was some change made in the 3.55 firmware that prevents the backup managers that worked on 3.41 from
Working properly:

It seems that efforts of Flukes1 patching of lv2 to add a working "peek and poke" to allow backups, has been partly blocked by an "anti-lv2-hacking" protection that seems to been recently added by Sony in their v3.55 firmware, so developers will have to find another way around these checks, and they are looking now at patching lv1 so end-users will be able to enjoy all the features that people are whining for like "backup managers", that they had so much enjoyed via the Jailbroken v3.41 systems using the lv2 patching Dongle payloads!

Thunderbear said:
Sony has every right to sue, and I support them as much as I love an open platform. It was their decision to keep it a locked down system that they had control over, if you didn't like it you should not buy their product and go with a PC instead. Geohot and crew violated the law and I am completely on Sony's side on this.

Imagine creating a product yourself and releasing it to the masses. Suddenly the masses think that what you created is theirs to do what they want with no matter what your desire is. They set the rules, and now you are pissed off with the fact that you have to follow the rules? Re-write Lord of the Rings and release it and make people happy or make bank, I am sure that would be fair to J.R.R. Tolkien.

I'm a left-wing person, not a capitalist by any means. But I do believe that when someone creates something, it's their choice what rules they apply to it. You vote with your money. They don't owe you anything, you and only you decide if what they created and the rules they apply is good enough for you to purchase their system.

You had a decision to buy the PS3 or not to buy it with the rules they stated when you bought the system. That was your decision right there, whether to follow their rules or not.

If you say "But they took away OtherOS", ask yourself seriously, is this _really_ about OtherOS? I have not seen ONE thread on Gaf about OtherOS between after the PS3 launch and before Sony took it away -- except for the one when the PS3 very first launched which I was apart of and very optimistic about because I wanted to see PS3 Linux apps but the whole thing was too slow. I have not seen an online community around OtherOS where people devoted any amount of time to Linux.

All this talk about "Sony is bad for suing" -- I don't buy it. They have every right to, their whole security has been compromised. They are going to loose software sales to piracy. They might gain PS3 sales but that's not going to help them a great deal. A vast, vast minority cared about OtherOS before Sony took it away. It's a lame excuse for all of you complaining unless you actually used it in any sort of important capacity.

Want freedom to run whatever programs you want? Use a PC.
I'm just curious to know if they actually did "violate the law" tho. Basically every console since the PS1 has been modded in some fashion without the original hackers being sued and the iPhone has actually been deemed legal to jailbreak and its as closed as a system as any, so has geohot and the other contributors actually broken the law or is it just Sony doing anything they can to slow progression?

Shaneus

Wonder if I'm any closer to getting my Amiga emulator with KBAM support? Fingers crossed... some oldschool Shadow of the Beast or Lemmings on a big TV would kick ten kinds of arse.

Jinko

I think Flukes has basically said that lv 2 isn't worth the effort and that he is now concentrating on a lv 1 work around.

Multiman is trying to do the same, automate the process that the caslevania exploit uses.

RJT

expy said:
Both clauses need to be met, and the second is where Sony can get him.
Well, his CFW does not facilitate copyright infringement. Others would have to break additional security features for copyright infringement to happen. It's definitely a grey area though...

KtSlime

Jinko said:
I think Flukes has basically said that lv 2 isn't worth the effort and that he is now concentrating on a lv 1 work around.

Multiman is trying to do the same, automate the process that the caslevania exploit uses.

This is probably the best method.

Shaneus

Anyone know if there's an app to install packages from the USB? I was all excited when I discovered the 3.41CFW but if I can be even lazier and just install an app via my jig to let me install packages from USB, I'd be set. Otherwise I'll just upgrade to 3.41CFW, don't really care.

N.A

Banned
Shaneus said:
Anyone know if there's an app to install packages from the USB? I was all excited when I discovered the 3.41CFW but if I can be even lazier and just install an app via my jig to let me install packages from USB, I'd be set. Otherwise I'll just upgrade to 3.41CFW, don't really care.

Err.. packages can only be installed from usb currently. And there is no 3.41 CFW, only 3.55 CFW.

Jinko

Shaneus said:

Um yea its called 3.55 CFW :p

A7MAD

Banned
Might have been answered but it may not have been, does Geohot's CFW working on PAL units? That means CFW on top of the PAL 3.55?

I may just buy a 2nd unit, I do not care about PSN or trophies that much but a 2nd unit is still best I think

Shaneus

N.A said:
Err.. packages can only be installed from usb currently. And there is no 3.41 CFW, only 3.55 CFW.
I was more referring to a signed app I could run on OFW that I could install via the jig, that I could run in OFW mode to install apps. That way I could have completely OFW that would install packages.

PS. There is a 3.41CFW... there was an app released from Karawhatever that allowed you to make a CFW from any update. Someone's kindly done that to a 3.41 and put it on one of the many PS3 hacking sites.

N.A

Banned
Shaneus said:
I was more referring to a signed app I could run on OFW that I could install via the jig, that I could run in OFW mode to install apps. That way I could have completely OFW that would install packages.

PS. There is a 3.41CFW... there was an app released from Karawhatever that allowed you to make a CFW from any update. Someone's kindly done that to a 3.41 and put it on one of the many PS3 hacking sites.

OK, I understand now.

There is no app that will do that though. Dev's currently can't sign .pkg's (only .elf's) so CFW is needed to both enable the "Install PKG Files" option and remove the signature check.

Shaneus

N.A said:
OK, I understand now.

There is no app that will do that though. Dev's currently can't sign .pkg's (only .elf's) so CFW is needed to both enable the "Install PKG Files" option and remove the signature check.
Ah, okay. Thanks. Didn't realise CFW would run unsigned stuff (I think that's what you mean) but either way, looks like I'll be throwing on 3.41CFW and seeing what happens.

itxaka

Defeatist
A7MAD said:
How sure are you of that because Sony always advise against using the OFW from other regions.

what? Isn't the OFW file always the same one? You can install a korean one with no problems (that is what I do, download speed FTW) Where have they advised against it?

N.A said:
This. This is a far bigger call for hackers than the removal of otherOS. Sony are just asking for far more of them to get involved. I expect development to actually speed up with anonymous releases in protest of the lawsuits.

I hear that. Guys who were playing nice and trying to stay away from stuff that would lead to piracy are now not going to give a flying fuck and go full on with black hat stuff. Hackers and crackers and pirates are all going to go all out on the PS3 now. Of course, the Sony White Knights are going to blame Geohot and fail0verflow for what's about to happen to the system, but the reasonable amongst us know where the blame sits and the act that brought it on.

A7MAD

Banned
Back in 2007-2008 the official Australian PS site where the firmware was available used to advise against it, just concerned because PAl and NTSC are very different.

I'll check if it still does on their Australian site these days, not trying to be a hard ass I just want to be sure, don't want to go through the unbricking process.

holmes182

Neo Member
A7MAD said:
How sure are you of that because Sony always advise against using the OFW from other regions.

Can't officially verify it but have read it on quite a few sites.

edit: have installed 3.55jb firmware on oz ps3 and all working fine.

sajj316

let's keep the legal stuff out of this thread please ..

Tried FBA Next .. far from perfect. Had it freeze on me while trying out different shaders. A game that was playing at 59 fps dropped to 30 fps. Don't think 16:9 is working at all as it clips the screen horizontally. Button mappings do not make sense for Capcom games on Dual Shock 3.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just a heads up since the topic was brought up in the lawsuit thread. Folks are now able to backup games to their HDD and play them in limited circumstances on 3.55jb/Geohot.

The process is a bit complicated but in summary;

• Rip the game to the PS3 HDD using Multiman
  • You may need adjust the game's location on the HDD to match other installed games
  • Modify the game's eBoot. This tricks the game into using the HDD instead of the Blu-Ray disk like a PSN title
  • Install the modified eBoot as a PKG and play like an installed game

The compatibility is low as not every game will work but it's best that you try yourself with your games to see.

One very important thing to note is that NeoGAF is not the place to ask about obtaining modified PKG's as the PKG's contain some of the game's software files in a modified form. You'll have to make these PKG's yourself to avoid any legal issues.

N.A

Banned
Dani said:
Just a heads up since the topic was brought up in the lawsuit thread. Folks are now able to backup games to their HDD and play them in limited circumstances on 3.55jb/Geohot.

The process is a bit complicated but in summary;

• Rip the game to the PS3 HDD using Multiman
  • You may need adjust the game's location on the HDD to match other installed games
  • Modify the game's eBoot. This tricks the game into using the HDD instead of the Blu-Ray disk like a PSN title
  • Install the modified eBoot as a PKG and play like an installed game

The compatibility is low as not every game will work but it's best that you try yourself with your games to see.

One very important thing to note is that NeoGAF is not the place to ask about obtaining modified PKG's as the PKG's contain some of the game's software files in a modified form. You'll have to make these PKG's yourself to avoid any legal issues.

Yes, it's been discussed on previous pages.

I'll not be adding this method to the wiki though unless the process becomes easier and compatibility goes up. I see this as just a stop-gap until backup managers are working again.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
N.A said:
I see this as just a stop-gap until backup managers are working again.

Yup. But it's still an option for some people right now to experiment with as they see fit. I imagine with the whole lawsuit stuff it might take some time for a more streamlined process to crop up and I imagine some folks would take pleasure in sitting by their PS3 and doing this kind of thing in the mean time.

Another problem with Multiman - the author, deank, pretty much just rage quit on PSX-Scene because of piracy whiners in his thread. So it may just remain a proof of concept.

thuway

N.A said:
Yes, it's been discussed on previous pages.

I'll not be adding this method to the wiki though unless the process becomes easier and compatibility goes up. I see this as just a stop-gap until backup managers are working again.
Any progress on this front? The last I heard Multiman was doing something, and than I fell off. Shit changes so much in two days.

test_account

XP-39C²
MMaRsu said:
Pretty harsh language in this quote.

:lol :lol

Jesus christ what the fuck :lol PSX-Scene is one hell of a website
Lol, that quote is almost scary in my opinion. Do someone really take this THAT seriously that they want to kill people? Maybe he is just venting though, but still. I think most people saw it coming that Sony would take some legal actions, so i am not sure why someone would be very surprised by it or be mega pissed at Sony for doing it. Of course people can be pissed about it, but as pissed as that guy in the quote was/is? It's not like the first time that someone gets legal action thrown at them for doing some hacking. But people decide for themself how pissed they want to be of course, i shall not say anything against that :)

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Another problem with Multiman - the author, deank, pretty much just rage quit on PSX-Scene because of piracy whiners in his thread. So it may just remain a proof of concept.
Piracy whiners in which direction? Those who wanted piracy enabled or those who said it would lead to a lot of piracy? (i'm not that familiar with PSX-Scene.com, so i dont know if they allow people to request piracy or not on their forum).

lethial

Reeeeeeee
test_account said:
Lol, that quote is almost scary in my opinion. Do someone really take this THAT seriously that they want to kill people? Maybe he is just venting though, but still. I think most people saw it coming that Sony would take some legal actions, so i am not sure why someone would be very surprised by it or be mega pissed at Sony for doing it. Of course people can be pissed about it, but as pissed as that guy in the quote was/is? It's not like the first time that someone gets legal action thrown at them for doing some hacking. But people decide for themself how pissed they want to be of course, i shall not say anything against that :)

Piracy whiners in which direction? Those who wanted piracy enabled or those who said it would lead to a lot of piracy? (i'm not that familiar with PSX-Scene.com, so i dont know if they allow people to request piracy or not on their forum).

That right there.

angelfly

sajj316 said:
let's keep the legal stuff out of this thread please ..

Tried FBA Next .. far from perfect. Had it freeze on me while trying out different shaders. A game that was playing at 59 fps dropped to 30 fps. Don't think 16:9 is working at all as it clips the screen horizontally. Button mappings do not make sense for Capcom games on Dual Shock 3.
Why not just remap them? The option is in the in-game menu.

Jinko

I NEED SCISSORS said:

He's back now.

If all is quiet like it is now then there's no need to close it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Noticed this on PSX-Scene

How to sort PS3 games list/homebrew alphabetically

Using the Awesome File Manager or Blackbox FTP modify the file explore_view.txt.

Open the file and change this part of the code;

Code:
sort_game.time_created_descend&root.sort_selected.game_tags=sort_game.time_created_ascend&root.sort_selected.game_all=sort_game.time_created_descend

to this;

Code:
sort_game.title_descend&root.sort_selected.game_tags=sort_game.title_ascend&root.sort_selected.game_all=sort_game.title_descend

Haven't tested this myself yet, but apparently it works fine but it's always a good idea to make a backup copy of the file just in case.

That's the kind of stuff I would like to see. Sony has been completely shitty with XMB organization and customization. There are simple things they could do to make it much more attractive and organized. PS3 has been out since 2006 and you can't alphabetize your shit. And the folder system is ugly as sin.

thuway

I NEED SCISSORS said:
WHAT?

Cruzader

Banned
Any progress on Linux for hacked 3.41jb/3.55ghcfw???

I'm still waiting on it. I'm sure all the super hackers messing on Lvl1 or something are working on this right now, correct? I mean they have stated that's their goal and I would think that would be their priority. Well anyone got any links concerning this?

Not sure why they don't put loaders/emulators on the side and get Linux unlocked out already.

Sophia

Cruzader said:
Not sure why they don't put loaders/emulators on the side and get Linux unlocked out already.

Because the emulators were already made for the most part, and just required signing.

N.A

Banned
Cruzader said:
Any progress on Linux for hacked 3.41jb/3.55ghcfw???

I'm still waiting on it. I'm sure all the super hackers messing on Lvl1 or something are working on this right now, correct? I mean they have stated that's their goal and I would think that would be their priority. Well anyone got any links concerning this?

We probably won't see anything until the legal action is resolved unless someone other than fail0verflow releases it.

kitch9

Banned
brotkasten said:
That's how it works in that scene.

Remember how Hermes quit, because some Chinese manufacturer put his nickname on a JB dongle? Yeah ...

Either that or the security is busting the hackers ass, so they use any reason to "quit" to buy time.

angelfly

brotkasten said:
That's how it works in that scene.

Remember how Hermes quit, because some Chinese manufacturer put his nickname on a JB dongle? Yeah ...
Then when people moved on and started using PL3 instead of his payload he magically returned :lol

brandonh83 said:
That's the kind of stuff I would like to see. Sony has been completely shitty with XMB organization and customization. There are simple things they could do to make it much more attractive and organized. PS3 has been out since 2006 and you can't alphabetize your shit. And the folder system is ugly as sin.

This is my biggest gripe when it comes to music. I've got several hundred albums all ripped to the PS3, but for the life of me it can't properly alphabetize and group them by artist, then album. It breaks up each goddamned artist/album separately and I ain't manually bunching them together. Even the different organization options don't do shit. I end up just streaming them straight from my USB drive, already auto-organized when I ripped them.

Top Bottom