• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

squicken

sajj316 said:
If its a slim, there is a method via screwdriver to twist the disc out manually. you don't actually insert the driver into the disc bay .. the insertion point is under the console. youtube it ..

It's a fat. Sony says it's $140 to fix. Guy on Craigslist can do it for $60.

Weenerz

Banned
Just got my new 160gb PS3 to do homebrew with, and I have a quick question. It came with 3.40 installed, is it okay to install via the network to 3.55 then do the cfw?

Weenerz

Banned
Currently going through the process from the wiki page, but it doesn't seem to be changing directory when typing in "cd e:\patch" it just stays on the C:\users

What am I doing wrong?

NM, I was a fool for trying to change the directory to a temporary drive. All went well once I moved it to my desktop.

3rdman

Hyllian said:
Have you tried Uncharted 2 or Heavy Rain?

Some HDs have stuttering during U2 cutscenes.
Sounds like a bunch of FUD...the first post only lists two drives (Scorpio Drives) and yet on the last page there are people with the same drives claiming no issues.

N.A

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
can't be arsed to sign up.

for dirt 2 you can recover 4gb if you delete the install.nfs file, but only after you've installed the game data.

Thanks, added.

Just so you know, you can edit pages without signing up.

LM4sure

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
can't be arsed to sign up.

for dirt 2 you can recover 4gb if you delete the install.nfs file, but only after you've installed the game data.

Ohhh…that's good information. I wonder if there is a similar file for all games that require an install on the hdd.

N.A

Banned
LM4sure said:
Ohhh…that's good information. I wonder if there is a similar file for all games that require an install on the hdd.

Only a few games do this (I know F1 2010 does, it's another Codemasters game too) but most don't GT5 for example only extracts 60-70% of the files from the 11GB GT.vol, the rest are read from the disc.

You can delete extra content from some games. For example you can delete the Frontline .pkg from the new Medal of Honor.

N.A

Banned
Weenerz said:
Is there any news on N64 emulators?

A couple of people have shown interest in porting one.

The thing with most of the more advanced projects though is the people who are skilled enough to do them usually don't say anything until they have something to show.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Yeah, and apparently mine is one of them? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Oh well, I only have to wait another day. Thanks, Amazon Prime!

Hey I got a really weird thing going on that I don't quite understand. I have a MGS 80 GB ps3 that I put a 640 GB HDD in and have been using flawlessly. I've had no problem installing and playing back my games. Now my friend brought his 60 GB Launch system over last night and we struggled for quite a while to get a 1 TB drive in there (succeeded in the end). All seemed well and good so we set it up properly and ran a restore for all the previous files before going to sleep. Now I wake up to start helping him install his games and run into a huge issue:

When trying to install a game through mulitMAN 1.14 (haven't tried Gaia 2.06 yet). It will let the copy run through until it almost finishes (99%), then freeze up and stop doing anything (HDD access led is no longer blinking and the console becomes unresponsive to any button inputs). I am going to try the Gaia, but this problem concerns me because it works perfectly fine on my system but I am getting these errors on his.

Another weird problem that I don't understand (it might be related) is that whenever I install a game to his HDD (using multiMAN 1.14) it doesn't show what files are being copied in the background like it does when I do the exact same thing on my system. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it just some setting in the .ini that could be changed?

Edit: Picture showing what happens:
126adjk.png

kinggroin

Banned
In the compatibility wiki, it says that ffxiii has files over 4gb, yet it shows ext. Hdd compatible. Are those files non critical ones?

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
YuriLowell said:
So what is the best internal drive to buy?

It looks like some of them have stuttering problems.

Going through the stuttering problem thread linked to earlier, it seems that most people are having problems with the WD BPVT model hard drives, while finding success with the BEVT ones. The Seagate Momentus series also seems to be a good choice, along with some of the Samsung Spinpoints.

Since I can get it with my Prime account, I'm personally gong to try the WD6400BEVT.

While we're at it though, an HDD Compatibility list should probably be added to the wiki.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
ichinisan said:
Can I backup with Multiman or Gaia then FTP to my PC for storage and later use. Then I can just us my PC for storage.

I tried this last night but I think my fireftp won't let me move files over 4gb to my nasbox for some reason.

I imagine you could, I just need to get a legit ftp client. I wonder if cute ftp is still around...

also.

*on knees*

if anyone hears anything about a mame emulator PLEASE PLEASE POST <3

S1kkZ

g35twinturbo said:
I tried this last night but I think my fireftp won't let me move files over 4gb to my nasbox for some reason.

I imagine you could, I just need to get a legit ftp client. I wonder if cute ftp is still around...

also.

*on knees*

mame thing is already out, fbanext.

N.A

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
Hey I got a really weird thing going on that I don't quite understand. I have a MGS 80 GB ps3 that I put a 640 GB HDD in and have been using flawlessly. I've had no problem installing and playing back my games. Now my friend brought his 60 GB Launch system over last night and we struggled for quite a while to get a 1 TB drive in there (succeeded in the end). All seemed well and good so we set it up properly and ran a restore for all the previous files before going to sleep. Now I wake up to start helping him install his games and run into a huge issue:

When trying to install a game through mulitMAN 1.14 (haven't tried Gaia 2.06 yet). It will let the copy run through until it almost finishes (99%), then freeze up and stop doing anything (HDD access led is no longer blinking and the console becomes unresponsive to any button inputs). I am going to try the Gaia, but this problem concerns me because it works perfectly fine on my system but I am getting these errors on his.

Another weird problem that I don't understand (it might be related) is that whenever I install a game to his HDD (using multiMAN 1.14) it doesn't show what files are being copied in the background like it does when I do the exact same thing on my system. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it just some setting in the .ini that could be changed?

Edit: Picture showing what happens:
126adjk.png

Try using Gaia or running the fix permissions pkg: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Fix_File_Permissions

kinggroin said:
In the compatibility wiki, it says that ffxiii has files over 4gb, yet it shows ext. Hdd compatible. Are those files non critical ones?

Fixed! It might be possible to run from external if you remove/downsample the FMVs though.

ichinisan said:
Can I rip with Multiman or Gaia then FTP to my PC for storage and later use. Then I can just us my PC for storage.

Yes.

SS4Gogita said:
While we're at it though, an HDD Compatibility list should probably be added to the wiki.

I don't have enough information to start one. If someone compiles a list of good/bad drives I'll add it to the wiki

g35twinturbo said:

It's not full MAME. But FBAnext supports CPS1/2/3, Neo Geo, Cave roms and more.

N.A said:
Try using Gaia or running the fix permissions pkg: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Fix_File_Permissions

That picture was taken when I tried to install Killzone 2. I tried Disgaea 3 with Gaia since that is small and it went through completely. Killzone 2 is running now in Gaia so if I am lucky it will work fine.

I just don't understand how MM could install / copy perfectly for me, yet be so weird for him. I put the 1.14 MM on my usb and installed it on mine right before his so they should be exactly the same. I even tried backing up something onto an external from my ps3 and then copying it to his and that too showed no file data in the background and froze at 99%. I should also mention that this happened on both 1.13.04 w/ lvl2 and on 1.14.

Edit: Killzone 2 just installed fine through Gaia 2.05. Although, it says the game is 12.06 GB, while MM said 12.3. Weird.

N.A

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
hmmm I tried that and had some issues.

I'll play with it again.

thanks

Remember your roms have to be names exactly right. Also most games come in two or three different zips (usually a main game data zip and a language zip) you will need all these files for FBAnext to even see the games.

MMaRsu

Banned
So if I wanna go online tonight, to play a backup up game online ( let's say GT5 or whatever ), what PKG programs should I run and should I make a new PSN account and use that to play online?

I mean sure it's not safe but if I never go online I might be banned already anyway haha.

test_account

XP-39C²
MMaRsu said:
So if I wanna go online tonight, to play a backup up game online ( let's say GT5 or whatever ), what PKG programs should I run and should I make a new PSN account and use that to play online?

I mean sure it's not safe but if I never go online I might be banned already anyway haha.
Wouldnt the safest way be to run the game directly from the disc? Then there isnt any backup manager running at least (assuming that it is easier for Sony to detect any backup manager if it is running rather than just being installed on the PS3).

N.A

Banned
DOBERMAN INC said:
Damn.Is this likely to always be the case or could there be a work around? Thanks.

Apparently it is one of the end movies. If you haven't seen it before you could just play from the disc at the end.

MMaRsu

Banned
test_account said:
Wouldnt the safest way be to run the game directly from the disc? Then there isnt any backup manager running at least (assuming that it is easier for Sony to detect any backup manager if it is running rather than just being installed on the PS3).

Oh I know, but I just want to know what's the safest method aside from running it from the disc, because why even run the BM if you're not going to use it?

I haven't been online since I upgraded to CFW so I'm just wondering.

I just wanna go online and only worry about Sony checking if I have a CFW.

N.A

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Oh I know, but I just want to know what's the safest method aside from running it from the disc, because why even run the BM if you're not going to use it?

The best thing to do is disable automatic PSN login. Then mount the backup and log in. multiMAN and Gaia both automatically delete the logs. However Sony will have other means of detecting you and will take action eventually.

test_account

XP-39C²
MMaRsu said:

I just wanna go online and only worry about Sony checking if I have a CFW.
The backup manager would still be useful for games being played offline :) I just thought that it would be safer to run the game directly from the disc if you want to play online. I did get the impression that you werent going to play a lot of PS3 games online (but please correct me if i'm wrong), so it might be worth to run the game from the disc if you want to play online if you wanted the safest method (assuming that it is any safer to run the game directly from the disc instead of using a backup manager) :)

MMaRsu

Banned
N.A said:
The best thing to do is disable automatic PSN login. Then mount the backup and log in. multiMAN and Gaia both automatically delete the logs. However Sony will have other means of detecting you and will take action eventually.

I understand..

Can you still receive updates if you block Playstation.net in your router? Or can you not go online then? Probably not eh.. :p.

MMaRsu said:
I understand..

Can you still receive updates if you block Playstation.net in your router? Or can you not go online then? Probably not eh.. :p.

I haven't been logged into PSN and still receive update requests. I haven't blocked Playstation.net though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Out of curiousity, why is discless mode needed? Isnt it just to have any disc in the PS3 and then the games will start?

DoctorWho said:
I haven't been logged into PSN and still receive update requests. I haven't blocked Playstation.net though.
True, you dont need to login to PSN to be able to download game updates. But seeing that connections are done to Playstation.net without being connected to PSN, i guess that the game updates are also coming from Playstation.net :)

xero273

test_account said:
Out of curiousity, why is discless mode needed? Isnt it just to have any disc in the PS3 and then the games will start?

I don't like having a disc in my ps3. I rather just put the disc in to rip then put it back in the case.

test_account said:

I don't mind having a disc sitting in there, but I think some people rather have no disc at all and others have dead Blu-Ray drives on their PS3. I'm presuming those people have to rip games onto their computers via BD-drive and then FTP or transfer the game over another way.

test_account

XP-39C²
xero273 said:
I don't like having a disc in my ps3. I rather just put the disc in to rip then put it back in the case.
greatestjediever said:
I don't mind having a disc sitting in there, but I think some people rather have no disc at all and others have dead Blu-Ray drives on their PS3. I'm presuming those people have to rip games onto their computers via BD-drive and then FTP or transfer the game over another way.
But isnt it just rip all the games and then leave a "random" PS3 game in there?

But fair enough :) Not having to have a disc in the PS3 can be more handy than having to have a disc in the PS3 indeed, but i was just wondering if there was any bigger advantage to have discless mode, like maybe the game could boot directly from the backup manager (or is that possible now? Or do you have to go back to the XMB to start the game?).

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I think discless will mainly serve the older PS3 model crowd. Some of the fat models have seriously shoddy lasers and spending extra money to fix them, when no longer needed, just makes no sense.

Zoe

squatingyeti said:
I think discless will mainly serve the older PS3 model crowd. Some of the fat models have seriously shoddy lasers and spending extra money to fix them, when no longer needed, just makes no sense.

If you have a fatty though I'd be more worried about YLOD and losing everything on your hard drive...

\bitter

Raoh

Sorry if I'm posting a repeat question.

Suppose i'm playing a backup of one of my games. I play it, earn my trophies and complete the game or come close to completing the game.

I then copy that game save to a non jailbroken ps3 and load an official nlu ray copy of the game.

Will it recognize my game save and update the trophies?

N.A

Banned
Raoh said:
Sorry if I'm posting a repeat question.

Suppose i'm playing a backup of one of my games. I play it, earn my trophies and complete the game or come close to completing the game.

I then copy that game save to a non jailbroken ps3 and load an official nlu ray copy of the game.

Will it recognize my game save and update the trophies?

It might recognize your save game depending on whether your saved game is locked or not but trophies won't be updated.

Raoh said:
Anyone have thoughts on the Rogero Manager?

I've never used it but I don't think it has the new, stable payload integrated yet.

Raoh

N.A said:
It might recognize your save game depending on whether your saved game is locked or not but trophies won't be updated.

That's a shame.

N.A said:
I've never used it but I don't think it has the new, stable payload integrated yet.

Thanks for the response. I had come across it on another site and thought i'd ask.

PowderedToast

squatingyeti said:
is the laser getting used even if you're playing a different game than the one in the disc?

Top Bottom