• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Maligna

Banned
Had my Pro randomly turn itself off during a particularly intense match of Overwatch with my friends last night. Not impressed.

This, combined with all the glitches I now have to deal with on my PSVR VR that didn't occur with the OG PS4 makes me believe this thing is half baked.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
beast-mode-box_large.jpg
You're dead to me.

Had my Pro randomly turn itself off during a particularly intense match of Overwatch with my friends last night. Not impressed.

This, combined with all the glitches I now have to deal with on my PSVR VR that didn't occur with the OG PS4 makes me believe this thing is half baked.

Mine has been turning itself off too.
I fear it may be hardware rather than software related as it just turned off as if the power went out.

Field

Anyone experienced this problem I have? Maybe once every few weeks when I try to turn on my PS4 Pro from sleep nothing happens and just a blue light keeps blinking on the console itself. I have to unplug it and plug again it always works after that but I get the warning that the console wasn't turned off properly so maybe bad for the hard drive.

So I'm having last minute doubts with my Pro purchase.

I have a 55' 4K HDR TV and the funds ready.

But the reviews seem to throw me off (lol I just read the Pro reviews now)

Any of you guys regret the upgrade for whatever reason?

I have a 1080p TV and am upgrading to OLED for this fucking console. I mean, things look better on my 1080p TV, noticeably, with Boost Mode being the killer feature for this console as well as some of the upcoming games (Horizon, hello!?) it's a no brainer to adopt this console immediately, especially as you're already at 4K brother.

Soo I tried my Pro for the first time on a new Samsung 4K HDR TV my dad recently bought and holy shitballs is the image quality insane.

UC4, Ratchet and Clank, Gravity Rush 2 and Watch Dogs 2 were all used as test dummies and the results left me very impressed (even though yeah it's not true 4k or whatever). UC4 in particular was glorious in HDR when I played the car chase sequence and a little of the boat sectin.

Definitely given me a push to buy one for myself down the line, even though I'm still happy with the 1080p downsampling benefits.

Hasney

Or you have a faulty unit? If I can have 12 hours of FFXV without it turning off, it can't be affecting every unit. I'm also not getting any PSVR glitches.

Is your unit loud? It might be overheating.

Order one from sweden if you live in EU and are having trouble finding in stock. Pretty much every online retailer has lots of em in stock here.

madmackem

If it was half baked you had forums filled with people complaining, I've spent hundreds of hours on mine now without issue.

shanafan

So I think I may have messed up.

I have sitting in a box next to my desk a brand new Dell 4K P2415Q monitor. My thoughts were I would hook up my PS4 Pro to the monitor, and everything would be glorious 4K.

As I am reading today however, this monitor only supports HDMI 1.4, 30hz refresh signal. The PS4 Pro will not output a 4K signal over such a connection - based on what I am reading.

However, the monitor does accept DisplayPort, with a 60 hz refresh rate. In theory, could I use an HDMI to DisplayPort cable and be able to experience 4K from my PS4 Pro?

Confused..

Thanks

So I think I may have messed up.

I have sitting in a box next to my desk a brand new Dell 4K P2415Q monitor. My thoughts were I would hook up my PS4 Pro to the monitor, and everything would be glorious 4K.

As I am reading today however, this monitor only supports HDMI 1.4, 30hz refresh signal. The PS4 Pro will not output a 4K signal over such a connection - based on what I am reading.

However, the monitor does accept DisplayPort, with a 60 hz refresh rate. In theory, could I use an HDMI to DisplayPort cable and be able to experience 4K from my PS4 Pro?

Confused..

Thanks

No. HDMI out cannot go into DisplayPort in without an active converter, which generally adds latency.

DisplayPort is funny like that.

DisplayPort out ---> HDMI in works great
HDMI out ---> DisplayPort in does not work

shanafan

No. HDMI out cannot go into DisplayPort in without an active converter, which generally adds latency.

DisplayPort is funny like that.

DisplayPort out ---> HDMI in works great
HDMI out ---> DisplayPort in does not work

Thanks.

So it is still the case that monitors with HDMI 1.4 can't output the 4K connection from the PS4 Pro?

EDIT: I think I found a LG model that would support PS4 Pro at 4K - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPNKFK0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

EDIT 2: This ASUS supports HDMI 2.0. Looks like we have a winner! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DHS30OE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HonMirin

Hey, this might just be me, but has anyone else noticed a bit of a loading speed boost with their pro?

I first noticed it with mine when Destiny loaded up about a couple of seconds faster than my standard machine. Both from harddrive. Thought I may have been imagining it, but also noticed faster loading with Resi 7 and Sleeping Dogs this evening... Anyone else confirm?

vehn

I just transferred my 2tb HD to my ps4 pro, opting to redownload everything and use the cloud for saves. Before downloading the saves, I loaded up the last guardian, but then exited out at the title screen. When I went to go download the save, it shows my cloud save as being from just now, instead of a few days ago when I played.

Am I screwed out of my old save? And when I tried to download other saves, it said I needed to have the game installed first... so should I download the game or put disc in, then download the save?

Just got one of these today. The power and eject buttons feel really flimsy, I thought I'd like the switch from the pressure buttons but I feel like I'm going to break these when I use them.

rcl66

Any word if the next PS4 firmware update will fix the issue with the screen blacking out often because the HDMI looses connection? Since the firmware update is out in Beta maybe someone can confirm?

Lady Gaia

Any word if the next PS4 firmware update will fix the issue with the screen blacking out often because the HDMI looses connection?

If you're having HDMI connection issues I would replace the HDMI cables you're using. There's nothing firmware can do to fix an unreliable connection.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If you're having HDMI connection issues I would replace the HDMI cables you're using. There's nothing firmware can do to fix an unreliable connection.

Indeed. It sounds like either cable issues or port issues (on either end of the cable).

Kudo

No, there is a clear HDCP 2.2 handshake issue on the Pro, you can read about in the TV thread and all around internet.

ArchAngel

First Pro got a loud whistling sound - yay! So let the exchange-race begin anew! Sony never disappoints with the fans, I just have bad luck ... every time. Well, I hope my second one tomorrow is a console without the whistle/howling noise.

greenegt

First Pro got a loud whistling sound - yay! So let the exchange-race begin anew! Sony never disappoints with the fans, I just have bad luck ... every time. Well, I hope my second one tomorrow is a console without the whistle/howling noise.

I hope Sony can get this straight, soon. It's the only thing giving me pause on buying a Pro vs a Slim. I really don't want a loud console.

Dubz

If I buy the Pro and keep my PS4, I can still download games that I've already purchased on the Ps4, right?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but I just want to be sure.

Kudo

If I buy the Pro and keep my PS4, I can still download games that I've already purchased on the Ps4, right?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but I just want to be sure.

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: You buy games on the account and each PS4 you have your account on, you can play the games on your account, and only on your Primary PS4 other users on that PS4 can play the games you own too.
In account settings menu there is "Activate as Primary", only one system can be primary and you need to disable it from the PS4 you have as Primary as in - If your PS4 is now your Primary but you want the Pro to be the Primary system, first you have to Deactivate it from the normal PS4 before you can activate the Pro as Primary.
Hope all that makes sense, if it raises any questions let us know maybe someone can help answer it better.

witness

Got my Pro last weekend and have been really impressed with it so far. It's so much quieter than my old white Destiny console that I traded in. I knew that the console was big and heavy, but I really wasn't prepared for it as I've never seen one in person.

I have a 1080p set and was worried I wouldn't really notice a difference but it's actually really incredible the image quality improvement you get with supersampling. The night and day image quality difference in games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs 2, and Mordor is incredible to me and totally justifies my purchase decision. I'm really excited about playing Horizon and Mass Effect on this thing and my inevitable 4K upgrade.

Kaiken

Banned
Another Primary Account question. On Friday, I'm ordering a PS4 Pro but I won't receive it until early next week. My current PS4 is going to be traded in before I receive my Pro. Is deactivating my PS4 before I trade in and activating the Pro once received as primary my best route? I suppose what I'm asking is; Is it possible to have no systems labeled as a Primary until I receive my Pro?

spwolf

Another Primary Account question. On Friday, I'm ordering a PS4 Pro but I won't receive it until early next week. My current PS4 is going to be traded in before I receive my Pro. Is deactivating my PS4 before I trade in and activating the Pro once received as primary my best route? I suppose what I'm asking is; Is it possible to have no systems labeled as a Primary until I receive my Pro?

yes of course... make sure you first de-activate your system and then format it (intialize it). Only then send it over.

Dubz

Got the Pro and realized I've been hacked! My old PS4 is not my primary. Called support and got it sorted, but have to wait 24 hours for them to deactivate all PS4's including the hacked one.

Luckily they didn't get payment info because I don't keep it on their system. Usually buy Amazon PSN money codes.

Anyway got the Pro and very happy so far.

Top Bottom