• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Dubz

So my Pro isn't automatically switching to HDR mode when I watch Netflix. I haven't tried it in a game (need to data transfer) but I suspect it won't do it there either.

When I watched Netflix or Amazin from the main menu on the TV it would switch to HDR mode if the show was HDR. For example, The Man in the High Castle is an HDR show on Amazon, and my TV (Sony XBR850C) would auto switch to HDR. When I try that on the PS4 HDR it is not switching.

I went into settings and changed the external input to enhanced, but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

III-V

So my Pro isn't automatically switching to HDR mode when I watch Netflix. I haven't tried it in a game (need to data transfer) but I suspect it won't do it there either.

When I watched Netflix or Amazin from the main menu on the TV it would switch to HDR mode if the show was HDR. For example, The Man in the High Castle is an HDR show on Amazon, and my TV (Sony XBR850C) would auto switch to HDR. When I try that on the PS4 HDR it is not switching.

I went into settings and changed the external input to enhanced, but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Use your TV apps, not the Pro apps. The pro apps like youtube, netflix, etc. do not yet support HDR - your TV apps are likely of higher quality and support HDR.

Dubz

Use your TV apps, not the Pro apps. The pro apps like youtube, netflix, etc. do not yet support HDR - your TV apps are likely of higher quality and support HDR.
Cool thanks. So games should auto switch I'm guessing. Thanks for the info.

Dubz

So I have a PS4 Pro and the old PS4 in different rooms. If I transfer my data form the PS4 to the Pro, will the data still be on the original PS4? I ask beacuse I want to be able to play the Pro in the living room, and when my wife and kid want to use the TV I want to be able to go downstairs and continue my Nioh game, or whatever.

Is this possible with cloud saves?

kvn

Just got my Pro and I am satisfied. Any free demos or anything with Pro patches to try? I already own UC4, Diablo 3 and Watch Dogs 2. Currently playing Yakuza 0 and it's really great that boost mode eliminates screen tearing for that completely.

Reule

Getting my Pro in five days. Is there a very detailed guide on how to transfer content from my old PS4 to Pro. For the most part I get it but I'm reading both need an internet connection and need to be signed into PSN.

Assuming I need them set up on wireless but can't I only be signed into one console at a time? Halp. Step by step by someone who successfully did this would be nice.

Massa

Just got my Pro and I am satisfied. Any free demos or anything with Pro patches to try? I already own UC4, Diablo 3 and Watch Dogs 2. Currently playing Yakuza 0 and it's really great that boost mode eliminates screen tearing for that completely.

Rise of the Tomb Raider has pretty great Pro support (60fps), the demo should support the Pro but I'm not sure.

Orion514

Got the Pro and realized I've been hacked! My old PS4 is not my primary. Called support and got it sorted, but have to wait 24 hours for them to deactivate all PS4's including the hacked one.

Luckily they didn't get payment info because I don't keep it on their system. Usually buy Amazon PSN money codes.

Anyway got the Pro and very happy so far.

So, I have this same issue with my current PS4. I got hacked a few months back, and reset my password so they no longer have access. However, Sony wont let me activate it back because you can only do that every year or whatever. So i'm still able to use it flawlessly, but its not my default PS4 anymore.

Will this be an issue when I get my Pro and go to do the data transfer? Or will it actually fix the problem because I'll be adding the PS4 Pro as my main console and I can just forget about the old PS4 now?

So, I have this same issue with my current PS4. I got hacked a few months back, and reset my password so they no longer have access. However, Sony wont let me activate it back because you can only do that every year or whatever. So i'm still able to use it flawlessly, but its not my default PS4 anymore.

Will this be an issue when I get my Pro and go to do the data transfer? Or will it actually fix the problem because I'll be adding the PS4 Pro as my main console and I can just forget about the old PS4 now?

You can make a PS4 your primary as many times as you'd like through the system. The only limit with it is how you can only reset your home console online once every three months. So basically, you can activate/deactivate your account as much as you'd like provided it's being done on the system. If you can't deactivate the original PS4 online, then you'd have to have the old PS4 in your possession to deactivate it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just did some loading tests comparing the stock drive to an external 4TB WD USB drive.

Basically I loaded a game on the stock drive then moved it to the external and loaded it then compared results.

On all 5 games (witcher 3, fallout 4, mafia 3, hitman and dishonored 2) the load times were exactly the same on the stock and external.

Great news!

III-V

I just did some loading tests comparing the stock drive to an external 4TB WD USB drive.

Basically I loaded a game on the stock drive then moved it to the external and loaded it then compared results.

On all 5 games (witcher 3, fallout 4, mafia 3, hitman and dishonored 2) the load times were exactly the same on the stock and external.

Great news!

great work, thanks!

Noks415

I'm definitely going to get a pro, but what are the odds that we get a different color option any time soon? I'd be willing to wait.

Haribokart

Banned
On my PS4 (Pro) Plex, Amazon & Youtube won't work at all, all, stating connectivity issues when booting them. All other apps such as BBC iPlayer & Netflix work perfectly. I have deleted and redownloaded the apps but the same things happens. Rebuilt the database, no luck. Have reset my router to its default settings, left the router off overnight and have reset the PS4 internet settings. I have tried Google DNS, have put the PS4 in my DMZ and even updated to the 4.5 beta software thinking it may be an OS problem, but this issue still persists. PS4 is wired straight into my router. The three apps stream fine on my Mac and iPhone. Online games such as GTA work fine.

Help, I'm totally baffled by this one!

XxfinchyxX

Neo Member
my brothers ps4 broke so i bought him a pro but it wont let me activate it as primary.when i go to the website to deactivate it says you can only do it on the ps4 but it wont turn on does anyone know what i should do. thanks for helping

my brothers ps4 broke so i bought him a pro but it wont let me activate it as primary.when i go to the website to deactivate it says you can only do it on the ps4 but it wont turn on does anyone know what i should do. thanks for helping

When you go to the account website click on media and devices and click on deactivate all that is how you do it

So I am currently going through my backlog of games, and last month decided to play the Original Tomb Raider (the first of the new ones) which I played on PC. I liked it so much I just bought Rise of the Tomb Raider on the recent PSN Sale. (Wanted to test out the PS4 Pro).

And I must say, Rise on PS4 Pro performs quite well and I am impressed going from PC to it. (My PC is an ATI R9 390 with a 4670k and played it at 1080p).

The only thing that is driving me crazy going from PC to the PS4 Pro is the SSD. Playing Tomb Raider on a PC with an SSD I virtually had no load times, where as with the pro I am waiting ~30 seconds when fast traveling between base camps.

Once they solve that issue consoles will really close the gap on PC's for general users.

Haribokart

Banned
So I am currently going through my backlog of games, and last month decided to play the Original Tomb Raider (the first of the new ones) which I played on PC. I liked it so much I just bought Rise of the Tomb Raider on the recent PSN Sale. (Wanted to test out the PS4 Pro).

And I must say, Rise on PS4 Pro performs quite well and I am impressed going from PC to it. (My PC is an ATI R9 390 with a 4670k and played it at 1080p).

The only thing that is driving me crazy going from PC to the PS4 Pro is the SSD. Playing Tomb Raider on a PC with an SSD I virtually had no load times, where as with the pro I am waiting ~30 seconds when fast traveling between base camps.

Once they solve that issue consoles will really close the gap on PC's for general users.

The issue is solved, you can easily put an SSD in your pro if you'd like.

Lady Gaia

It depends on the game. There are other examples that show significantly more benefit, and with firmware 4.5 and Boost Mode the advantages of SSD are even more prominent with older titles. Of course that will also open up the potential for using an external SSD, or using a small internal SSD for whatever your current title is and an external HDD for mass storage of older titles.

It depends on the game. There are other examples that show significantly more benefit, and with firmware 4.5 and Boost Mode the advantages of SSD are even more prominent with older titles. Of course that will also open up the potential for using an external SSD, or using a small internal SSD for whatever your current title is and an external HDD for mass storage of older titles.
Cool, still no where as fast as a PC but that is certainly an improvement.

shanafan

As a fellow monitor user, I had no idea that there were viable 4K monitors under $400 out there in the wild already ... this changes things .... hmmmm ...

Thanks for this link fam

Very welcome. It's been super nice so far. I definitely notice the 4K upgrade from the base PS4 to the Pro.

Just make sure you look at a 4K monitor with HDMI 2.0. It has to support 4K/60hz.

I'm returning mine for a refund. 70% of the time it refuses to connect to the internet that the PS4 two feet away has no trouble with. I could just replace it but eh. I'm not noticing a huge difference looks wise anyway, and my old one is just fine. I'd rather have the $400.

Malcolm9

I'm returning mine for a refund. 70% of the time it refuses to connect to the internet that the PS4 two feet away has no trouble with. I could just replace it but eh. I'm not noticing a huge difference looks wise anyway, and my old one is just fine. I'd rather have the $400.

Are you actually playing games that are Pro Enhanced? Using a 4K TV etc?

Ok, PS4 Pro is pretty nice. Picked up a new 4K monitor with HDMI 2.0 (4K@60hz)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DHS30OE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And COD: IW looks pretty frickin' nice on it! I prefer gaming at a desk, and this is perfect.

Yup just bought that monitor also. Had a $80 Best Buy gift card left over from Christmas and just got my Fantasy Football money in so I decided to purchase it. Now I'm thinking of getting a 4k capture card to replace my current capture card lol.
A 4k capture card cost $400 >.<

danowat

Banned
Jesus, 16 hours to transfer 369GB?, holy moly.......

System told me it would take 8, which was enough, but it took twice that!.

Maybe because I went via my router, rather than direct LAN to LAN?, even though the blurb said it didn't matter?

Anyway, what is a good game to test out the 4k and/or HDR goodness?

mitchman

Gold Member

Maybe because I went via my router, rather than direct LAN to LAN?, even though the blurb said it didn't matter?

Make sure you use a 1Gbps network, both with the router and any switches you might have. Sounds like you're on a slow 100Mbps network.

As for HDR, The Witness is great looking.

On piece of advise, remove all your games from the system before transferring (except titles like P.T.). Severly decreases image size.

danowat

Banned
Make sure you use a 1Gbps network, both with the router and any switches you might have. Sounds like you're on a slow 100Mbps network.

As for HDR, The Witness is great looking.

My router definitely is gigabit lan, and both PS4's are connected directly to that, maybe I'm using a non Gig lan cable?

Vashetti

Banned
My router definitely is gigabit lan, and both PS4's are connected directly to that, maybe I'm using a non Gig lan cable?

If you have two PS4s, then you should be connecting them directly to each other via ethernet, speeds up the process considerably.

danowat

Banned
If you have two PS4s, then you should be connecting them directly to each other via ethernet, speeds up the process considerably.

Yeah, I know that now, but the literature said it didn't matter which way you did it, and it was less of a bother for me to just plug one into my router.

h3ad0rZ

Just got PS4 pro, got a small question. I play on 1080p monitor. For games that support downsampling, does ps4 resolution in the "Video Output Settings" needs to be set to automatic for it to work or can I just select 1080p and it will still work the same?
It just seems like "automatic" doesn't really detect monitor stuff all that well, like RGB range, it does detect that monitor is 1080p, but I just want to be sure that when game is launched, all possible improvements will work properly.

Caayn

Just got PS4 pro, got a small question. I play on 1080p monitor. For games that support downsampling, does ps4 resolution in the "Video Output Settings" needs to be set to automatic for it to work or can I just select 1080p and it will still work the same?
It just seems like "automatic" doesn't really detect monitor stuff all that well, like RGB range, it does detect that monitor is 1080p, but I just want to be sure that when game is launched, all possible improvements will work properly.
Just select the settings that you want to use, so 1080p as the output resolution in your case. If a game runs higher than the output resolution and supports downsampling it'll automatically downsample to match the output resolution.

This isn't really new either, this happened in the previous generations (and even in this generation before the Pro if you're still using a 720p for example) as well when the rendering resolution was higher than the output resolution. It just seemed to have gotten a marketing boost lately. (Although some games adjusted themselves such as GT.)

h3ad0rZ

Just select the settings that you want to use, so 1080p as the output resolution in your case. If a game runs higher than the output resolution and supports downsampling it'll automatically downsample to match the output resolution.

This isn't really new either, this happened in the previous generations (and even in this generation before the Pro if you're still using a 720p for example) as well when the rendering resolution was higher than the output resolution. It just seemed to have gotten a marketing boost lately. (Although some games adjusted themselves such as GT.)
Thank you. I just get paranoid when setting up new things, lol.

Top Bottom