• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

c00l3ru

I'm a bit annoyed that the Netfix app doesn't support HDR yet. Especially considering they didn't put a UHD blue ray player in the Pro. I suppose it will get patched eventually but still!😔

Lucifon

I'm hearing Mafia 3 has an unlocked framerate and hits 60 at times on the Pro? Is this true? Any footage to back it up?

Memnoch

Ugh wish I waited a year before I pick up my tv... I'm tempted to pick up the ks8000 but what am I going to do with the tv I own now...
Same here. I had no idea about hdr or hdcp 2.2 (mine is 1.4) back in March. Oh well, I still have a 4k TV and it looks glorious with the pro. Battlefield 1 is really spectacular now.

SeanR1221

Just tried manually turning off the ps4 and turning it back on.

Still a blank screen.

UGUosidjg;sldigj;sdjfg;lsiDJF;AISJF:OIASHF:GIHA:H:KASHGFKAHSDF:KAHGKAJDSHG:KSHD:GHASD:GHASDKGJHAKJSDGHALKJSDHGLKADJSH

JESUS. Come on. I've literally spent like half a day setting this thing up now

Solobbos

My local supermarket had about 30 PS4 Pros in stack, so I decided to go for it. Only cost 380€, hopefully I can sell my old one for about 250€. Did a system transfed and made sure P.T. worked (it did). Now I'm heading off for the weekend, can't wait to get back to play Ratchet & Clank for the first time.

Ferr986

Man, I feel weird right now on GAF. Everyone is losing their shit with these supersampling PRO pics yet I can barely see the difference. I mean, I see it, but I don't see it's a big deal compared on how it looks on my peasanPS4.

Thing is, I'm trying to justify a PRO purchase, there's some trade-in offers that sounds good right now, and I would like a new controller (mine has an even worse battery than it never had), bigger HDD, and new warranty (I still have in my mind having to pair to repair my 360 because it was out of warranty).

Thing is, I can't see the tech gains on the PRO worth enough, even if I'm trying it, meanwhile everyone is going mental on GAF and I wonder if it's just me :/

It's because it's discounted on the JP store, If Im not mistaken.

I can't tell if it's just placebo or if cinematic mode on PSVR is vastly improved or not. I only tried it once and remember the image looking awful with full screen size. I played Xenoverse 2 with the headset on and it was FANTASTIC and the game doesn't even have a pro update.

Man, I feel weird right now on GAF. Everyone is losing their shit with these supersampling PRO pics yet I can barely see the difference. I mean, I see it, but I don't see it's a big deal compared on how it looks on my peasanPS4.

Thing is, I'm trying to justify a PRO purchase, there's some trade-in offers that sounds good right now, and I would like a new controller (mine has an even worse battery than it never had), bigger HDD, and new warranty (I still have in my mind having to pair to repair my 360 because it was out of warranty).

Thing is, I can't see the tech gains on the PRO worth enough, even if I'm trying it, meanwhile everyone is going mental on GAF and I wonder if it's just me :/

Keep in mind screenshots aren't the very best indication. You have to see it for yourself because the image quality holds up in motion and that's not something you can appreciate in a screenshot.

Tried to transfer files. 99 hours. FFS

Ended up just transferring saves and downloading games. If I need anything I'll just grab whatever whenever I need something

jett

D-Member
Everybody on the fence of Pro.

You're done. Buy it.

Before after pro mode :

995301a7d5fe6dde8b7db4077f985cc9.png

404d2291605f12ac432db2419bf33f71.png

FYI there are two Pro modes, high performance and high quality. This isn't a comparison between Pro and regular PS4.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I can't tell if it's just placebo or if cinematic mode on PSVR is vastly improved or not. I only tried it once and remember the image looking awful with full screen size. I played Xenoverse 2 with the headset on and it was FANTASTIC and the game doesn't even have a pro update.
I played batman vr, and playroom vr and the quality is definite improvement. But not just that i swear everything looks cleaner. Not sure if its the pro doing something in the background or the psvr was patched.

Gonna try cinematic mode now.

It's because it's discounted on the JP store, If Im not mistaken.

New console launches just make people giddy. I'm patiently watching too and I'm beginning to move on the "going to buy" side now. Not overly hyped, but I like some of what I'm seeing for 1080p gaming, especially news like FFXV having a dedicated 1080p60 mode. If we get more stuff like that going forward, it will definitely be a worthwhile investment.

I played batman vr, and playroom vr and the quality is definite improvement. But not just that i swear everything looks cleaner. Not sure if its the pro doing something in the background or the psvr was patched.

Gonna try cinematic mode now.

Yeah I think the system UI in general runs a higher res in the headset on Pro

I can only confirm, VR is a whole new experience with the Pro and way less straining to the eyes due to increased clarity.

Everyone should try it.

I could be wrong but I've seen multiple HDR shots in this thread now and all have serious black crush. I think screenshots in HDR might be broken on the PS4 Pro right now. Similar issue XB1S had (although that was making everything look washed out) but I believe they've solved now.

I've found playing games in HDR on a Samsung TV does make things a lot darker overall anyway, so likely not just screenshot related!

Yeah VR is a completely new experience.

Thumper appears to have much better draw distance in addition to the image clarity, so you see more of the awesome visual effects and can see more detail in the track as it's being drawn

RIGS is almost crystal clear, there is still some minor aliasing which is to be expected, but the overall image quality is very clear now instead of just the center of your view. On standard ps4 the peripheral of the image was clearly lower resolution.

PlayStation VR Worlds - Robot Rescue has the image quality of an HD Mario game now. It looks simply stunning and the sense of immersion and presence in the game world, despite being a platformer, is vastly improved.

I'm a bit annoyed that the Netfix app doesn't support HDR yet. Especially considering they didn't put a UHD blue ray player in the Pro. I suppose it will get patched eventually but still!😔

Yeah its bizarre - even the Nvidia Shield TV supports HDR in netflix.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Ugh wish I waited a year before I pick up my tv... I'm tempted to pick up the ks8000 but what am I going to do with the tv I own now...

Same here. I had no idea about hdr or hdcp 2.2 (mine is 1.4) back in March. Oh well, I still have a 4k TV and it looks glorious with the pro. Battlefield 1 is really spectacular now.

I feel your pain, I bought a high end av-receiver last year just before HDCP 2.2 was required, I'm told in the shop, "yep, this is fully future proofed, HDMI 2.0, 4k etc!", bollocks., 6 months later I just bit the bullet and traded it in for a upgraded model.

Apt101

Alright I have the day off (always take Vet's off) and decided I'd finally take this thing out of the box. I much prefer the matte finish, and the physical buttons are much better. I think it's just overall a lot better looking.

Now the Long Downloading Begins. I think the first game I'll download is Ratchet and Clank since everyone's raving, then I'll install Batman VR.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
how long does the data transfer usually take?
I have 400gb to transfer and both my consoles are wired to a Gigabit switch and router. it tells me it will take 11 hours? really?

Deft Beck

Today I will be picking up a PS4 Pro for roughly $122.

The math:

$399 retail price (no sales tax, as I live in NH)
- $150 (trade in value at Gamestop)
- $90 (credit card cash back I have stockpiled)
- $24 (workplace purchase program points)
- $8 (credit card cash back earned)
- $5 (Best Buy rewards program certificate earned)
= $122

That's a 70% discount off of retail. I can't wait to play FF15 on this thing.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i hope world of ff gets patched soon, i was int he middle of a playtrough :(

also i thought black ops 3 was getting 4k support??

zoukka

how long does the data transfer usually take?
I have 400gb to transfer and both my consoles are wired to a Gigabit switch and router. it tells me it will take 11 hours? really?

1hr for about 40 gigs for me so prepare yourself :D

I just deleted everything but saves, VR games and P.T. Will download the rest of the stuff later when I need em. I had dozens of games installed that I never play.

Krakatoa

Yeah its bizarre - even the Nvidia Shield TV supports HDR in netflix.

To get HDR support in Netflix you need to be on a certain plan.

Can I stream Netflix in Dolby Vision or HDR?
Netflix supports two different HDR streaming formats, Dolby Vision and UltraHD Premium (HDR).
What You’ll Need:
A TV that supports either Dolby Vision or HDR and Netflix. (If you use a set-top box to stream Netflix, both the set-top box and TV must support HDR.)
A 4 Screen Netflix plan. You can check which plan you’re currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan.
A steady Internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or faster.
Streaming quality set to "High." More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
1hr for about 40 gigs for me so prepare yourself :D

I just deleted everything but saves, VR games and P.T. Will download the rest of the stuff later when I need em. I had dozens of games installed that I never play.

i have now connected both consoles directly and voila its down to 55minutes. its weird..

Netflix supports two different HDR streaming formats, Dolby Vision and UltraHD Premium (HDR).
What You’ll Need:
A TV that supports either Dolby Vision or HDR and Netflix. (If you use a set-top box to stream Netflix, both the set-top box and TV must support HDR.)
A 4 Screen Netflix plan. You can check which plan you’re currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan.
Streaming quality set to "High." More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.

I know - I'm on that plan and have it on Xbox One S and Nvidia Shield TV - but not PS4 Pro

Apt101

I'm not even bothering with transferring data. I'm just downloading games I play and the save data. I had too much on that old PS4 I never played.

c00l3ru

What You’ll Need:
Have you tested this out? Are you sure HDR is working. I know 4k is working fine but I've heard HDR is not implemented yet.

Top Bottom