• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 removal of system activation limit? How will this affect you?

DieH@rd

Banned
Sounds absolutely terrible.
As a guy who lives in a house with more than one PS3s and multiple family members, the fact that I can only put my stuff on one while the rest can only access my content whejn I'm signed in is bullshit.
More annoying forms of DRM is how I see it.

Nobody officially confirmed anything about system activations. OP pulled that news out of his ass.

impact

Banned
Pretty big actually, I've not bought a full price digital game on PSN in years. Sharing an account with a close friend meant TLoU, NinoKuni, Borderlands 2, Dishonored and many more all at launch for $30 on PSN. I love that Sony kept it in but I can obviously see why its getting removed lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
On consoles other then your home console only I think. Otherwise, what's the point of the home console.

... which is the 360 way of doing things, except that with the 360 you don't have one "home console", you have a home license for the console you buy a piece of content on, so it's on a per-content basis.

HazardBob

Neo Member
so you simply make that ps4 your 'home' ps4, you can still play all your game with another account offline.

this new system mostly hurt gamesharer and people with multiple ps4 because then one of their ps4 need to be online (not sure if it's constant internet required or not)

your daughter can just use your son's 'home' ps4

yea... no

casmith07

I read that as long as you're logged in, you can play your games tied to your account off PSN on any device.

What's this about?

danielcw

... which is the 360 way of doing things, except that with the 360 you don't have one "home console", you have a home license for the console you buy a piece of content on, so it's on a per-content basis.

So on the PS4 you would have to pick one "home" console for all content?

I read that as long as you're logged in, you can play your games tied to your account off PSN on any device.

What's this about?
This is about the console being able to play downloaded content offline or on other profiles/accounts.

Right, but the license migration tool consolidates all licenses from an account onto one 360 console.

The way I've always handled it on 360 is I put all licenses on my television console and play as a guest on my primary console because I'm always online on my primary, and my family and friends have access to my entire library of content
Moot point. This is a regression of what is already offered on the PS3. With an increasing emphasis on digital downloads, why should I not be allowed to share my content with my family members.

I love the fact that me and my brother can both play the same game, online, using two different PS3s.

This new system is horrendous.
You could still do that with the described system as in my example.

I was expecting this but I'm really sad to see the system go. It was really convenient and saved me some money.

I have two different accounts in my household and both are often used to play the same game at the same time. With the old system, I could purchase a game once and download it to both systems (similar to IOS). Now, I have to buy everything twice, which is pretty much the same as every other gaming device.

Vestal

Gold Member
Sounds absolutely terrible.
As a guy who lives in a house with more than one PS3s and multiple family members, the fact that I can only put my stuff on one while the rest can only access my content whejn I'm signed in is bullshit.
More annoying forms of DRM is how I see it.

Btw tell me, how did you get around having game Cartridges back in the day?

velociraptor

Btw tell me, how did you get around having game Cartridges back in the day?

Moot point. This is a regression of what is already offered on the PS3. With an increasing emphasis on digital downloads, why should I not be allowed to share my content with my family members.

I love the fact that me and my brother can both play the same game, online, using two different PS3s.

Vestal

Gold Member

For the same reason why they lowered the 5 console limit to 2 last gen. From my understanding the method they did it last gen was more to do with system limitations instead of how they intended to implement something like this.

Now with a more fleshed out system, they are implementing their vision of how it should be. That is at least my appreciation of the situation.

Now they are basically that the games are attached to a PSN Account. So how you could do it is install games on Home Console and play with a different PSN account and use your PSN account on a separate console.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For the same reason why they lowered the 5 console limit to 2 last gen. From my understanding the method they did it last gen was more to do with system limitations instead of how they intended to implement something like this.

Now with a more fleshed out system, they are implementing their vision of how it should be. That is at least my appreciation of the situation.

Now they are basically that the games are attached to a PSN Account. So how you could do it is install games on Home Console and play with a different PSN account and use your PSN account on a separate console.

why not just allow two home consoles?

I understand their point but it is fairly simple to understand a situation like console in lounge shared by family, and another in a kid's bedroom with their account.

Iorv3th

If thats the case then it will be like the 360 is now. Which for it what we ended up doing was if I bought a game or dlc I would buy it on my wifes console because I would always be signed in on mine. So we could both play it that way. Or if she bought she would buy on mine.

It is a pain in the ass though and I like how the PS3 is set up because I don't have to worry about being online or which system I download stuff on. Only I have plus right now so I am able to download games to play on my system (which is hooked up to a monitor) or I can download them on the other system in the living room and we can play on the big screen co-op etc. No hassle at all.

Elrina

Neo Member
You are posting a lot of wishful thinking. Yeah Sony will leave a loophole like this unchecked...

I don't see why not. You can already do this using Steam's offline mode (I know this for a fact), and that's exactly how it sounds it will work.

This is a problem for those with multiple consoles and children.

It's not the online bit that's important. It's locking the stuff to one account. That's a departure from how it is on the PS3, so it would suck to lose that ability.

I realize that it's a departure, and agree that a blanket two console activation system is definitely superior. I was hoping the two activation system would continue, and it sucks that it's not.

But I can easily see why they don't want to continue it now that PS+ is required for online play. It would be really easy to set up a dummy PSN and get PS+ with it to share with a friend, that way you both get the free games + online access, and just trade off who pays for it each year. It sucks that it makes it more expensive/difficult for people with two consoles, but at least there's still a work around (even if only the PS+ sub account would have access on one of them).

The best we can hope for, imo, is that we're allowed to activate a second PS4 for content downloads, even if not online access. That way people with two consoles are able to play all the content with any user account on either, even if online access is restricted to the PS+ account on the secondary console.

worse than 5, worse than 2, and the ONLY reason for this is because online play requires PS+ now and Sony doesn't want two peeps splitting DAT PS+ cost.

The current system is way more intuitive and consumer friendly. So it's not surprising Sony is getting rid of it in favor of the Xbox approach.

Vormund

As said, sounds like the 360.

I've tied all my purchases to one console and I just go online for the other one if need be. Easy.

netguy503

I don't see why not. You can already do this using Steam's offline mode (I know this for a fact), and that's exactly how it sounds it will work.

I realize that it's a departure, and agree that a blanket two console activation system is definitely superior. I was hoping the two activation system would continue, and it sucks that it's not.

But I can easily see why they don't want to continue it now that PS+ is required for online play. It would be really easy to set up a dummy PSN and get PS+ with it to share with a friend, that way you both get the free games + online access, and just trade off who pays for it each year. It sucks that it makes it more expensive/difficult for people with two consoles, but at least there's still a work around (even if only the PS+ sub account would have access on one of them).

The best we can hope for, imo, is that we're allowed to activate a second PS4 for content downloads, even if not online access. That way people with two consoles are able to play all the content with any user account on either, even if online access is restricted to the PS+ account on the secondary console.

You are wrong and don't know what you are talking about. I game share with a plus user. I still get the plus discounts etc from his account but I DON'T get the benfit of cloud storage, setting up downloads/system updates, etc. So there is still a need to join plus if I wanted too.

This will probably be how it works on PS4. You can share SOME features of PS+ (the discounts, themes, games, etc) but not ALL (online play). You will probably still have acess to the DL list too.

Please stop spreading misinformation as we have nothing to back up your claims yet and you aren't sharing a system with a PS+ user so you don't know how this works (and I don't even know how it will work on the PS4- the video gives me nothing). But sony is a BUISNESS and they are already taking a loss with the PS4 price point given the hardware. They want you to have two systems in your home if possible. Decreasing the activations would be a bad move for them business wise.

Zoe

This will probably be how it works on PS4. You can share SOME features of PS+ (the discounts, themes, games, etc) but not ALL (online play).

They already confirmed that only one Plus account per PS4 is required for everyone to play online.

Krakn3Dfx

Wish they would do it on the PS3. We currently have 3 PS3s in our house, and it's a bummer having to deactivate one just to get stuff to play on another. In the end, we just deactivated the one in the main home theater while the other two are used for stuff we buy on PSN.

btkadams

i really hope we get a confirmation of this soon. i have 2 ps3s that i use. i don't want the ps4 to deactivate a ps3 if it takes up a spot like how the vita uses a psp spot. it's a really shitty system imo. if there is going to be a limit, let it be something like 5, not this 2 bs.

dubq

I can see why they would do this from a business standpoint. Everyone wants to be able to share their stuff, but in the end it's a loss in profit for the companies creating the content. Right now, I share my PSN login with my younger cousin so he can sign in and download any PS+ content or any DLC I have purchased, and he can then use that stuff (signed in or not) on his own PSN ID (ie: we both use Battlefield 3 Premium content/DLC simultaneously that I paid for.) In the end, that's a profit loss for EA/Dice. I don't have to like it, but I can understand why they're doing it.

I had 3 PS3's. Luckily the 3rd one died so I didn't have to bother with the 2 console limit. If they got rid of that limit. I'd love it.

Will online game access work cross region with PSN+?

Ex: Someone has a system with 2 US, 2 EU and 2 JPN accounts, but only one of them is Plus. Can they still play online with all 6 accounts or just the one with plus and the other account in the same region?

netguy503

Yeah that would be silly.

what would be silly? There are locked out plus features right now for people who share plus between their systems on the PS3 now why wouldn't it be the same for the PS4. And knowing how the system works now on PS3, why did anyone think they could all share one person's plus online access in the first place? That would be silly. This way Sony gets money for everyone paying to go online for every system (ALOT of money knowing the userbase), and we keep our shares between our systems, It's a win-win situation for everyone and keeps gamers of the current generation happy and I thought that's what Sony said they wanted to do with the PS4 at E3.

netguy503

Will online game access work cross region with PSN+?

Ex: Someone has a system with 2 US, 2 EU and 2 JPN accounts, but only one of them is Plus. Can they still play online with all 6 accounts or just the one with plus and the other account in the same region?

I'd like to know that too as I got a two year EU + subscription when they went on sale last March for like $25 each (should of got more). It would be awesome not to pay for plus (I don't have a US + account) to go online until those years are up. However, that being said, I could only be getting trophies for my EU account while online and I would not like that at all (I have none right now). :( Either way, I'm ready for both outcomes.

pixlexic

Banned
I meant it would be silly for Sony to allow no restrictions on account sharing. You could have 40 people sharing one account !'

netguy503

I meant it would be silly for Sony to allow no restrictions on account sharing. You could have 40 people sharing one account !'

Then you are not getting what I'm saying I still believe (and want them to) keep a two activation limit. I think going under that would be silly. I like how it is set up on ps3 right now (you can share plus between systems but you lose plus features your "main" has). Until I get further confirmation from an actual source, I'll believe this wil be true for the PS4 as well.

casmith07

This is about the console being able to play downloaded content offline or on other profiles/accounts..

I don't understand. Why is this an issue? Just let your friends or family log into your PSN account to play your games if they're too cheap to buy their own.

ShapeGSX

I don't understand. Why is this an issue? Just let your friends or family log into your PSN account to play your games if they're too cheap to buy their own.

Because you can't have two consoles logged into the same PSN account at the same time. If you log in, you'll kick the other one off the service.

Zoe

what would be silly? There are locked out plus features right now for people who share plus between their systems on the PS3 now why wouldn't it be the same for the PS4. And knowing how the system works now on PS3, why did anyone think they could all share one person's plus online access in the first place? That would be silly. This way Sony gets money for everyone paying to go online for every system (ALOT of money knowing the userbase), and we keep our shares between our systems, It's a win-win situation for everyone and keeps gamers of the current generation happy and I thought that's what Sony said they wanted to do with the PS4 at E3.

People aren't disappointed about not sharing Plus features. They're disappointed about not sharing purchases.

Vestal

Gold Member
This should be another none issue.

This was bound to happen, since the only reason for how they were doing multi console activation was the ass backwards architecture they had back in the PS3 era.

Digital Games should be tied to your PSN/Gamertag and be able to use them in different systems while you are logged in. Your home console should be able to play them at all times with any account logged in. This is how it should be, and how it sounds the XbOne is, and the PS4 should be.

KageMaru

This won't affect me at all. I've never been bothered by the DRM in the PS360 this gen and if the PS4 works like that next gen, that's fine by me.

I just hope Sony makes it easy to transfer the license.

I had 3 PS3's. Luckily the 3rd one died so I didn't have to bother with the 2 console limit. If they got rid of that limit. I'd love it.

The "limit" is only on which consoles can download stuff under your psn account. You can have as many ps3's as you want with all your downloads on them with no restrictions.

netguy503

People aren't disappointed about not sharing Plus features. They're disappointed about not sharing purchases.

But you can share purchases now and link me to a source (not some vague thing) where it says that won't be the same on PS4.

Top Bottom