• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 removal of system activation limit? How will this affect you?

If they removed system activation limits, it does affect me in that I cant lend out my digital games to friends and family anymore. I share my games with my little brother, if he has to be on my account to play them, then that sucks. What a stupid change.

turnbuckle

Had a PS3 (that just died) at the girlfriend's house and my PS3 at home. On a given week I'd be at her place 3-4 days and mine the other. Requiring me to be online on one or the other to access my content would've been shitty. Or if I'm online at home and her or her son wanted to play the PS3 at their place but couldn't unless they kicked me off my PSN account, that'd be shitty as well.

Unless I'm understanding the policy wrong the scenario above is what would happen on the PS4, right? Worse than the PS3 where you could register a couple of consoles.

So, this affects me negatively. :(

doesn't affect me at all.

it makes sense. your main system can go offline and the others will need a login... makes sense to me.

It makes sense from Sony's / publishers POV. It absolutely stinks for customers. There's no benefit to someone it doesn't affect such as yourself, and definitely a detriment to people it negatively affects such as myself.

androvsky

Depending on how the details work, you could come pretty close to the current way of doing things. You have to make the other person's PS4 your home console, and use the roaming one yourself. That way, the other person can play your games on their account, and you're fine since you'll be playing under your account anyway. The main downside is you'll have to be online to play your games, and buying games might be a touch awkward (but with the web store, maybe not).

Okay. I'm a little confused by this, as I have never owned a 360.

I heard removal of system activation limit and the only thing that pops into my head was how pissed off I was that Sony dropped the amount of handhelds that can be attached to the same PSN account from about 5 to 2. I used to have my PSN account on a PSP 3000, a PSP Go, and a PS Vita. Now, it's only on the Go and the Vita due to the removal of that feature and that annoys me since I have DLC for Little big Planet; but not a digital version of it. Also, I lost about 50+ comic books. So, I'll still a little bitter about that.

Does this fix that problem? I dunno what is going on.

Explain this to me like I am five.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It sounds very simple to me: You can let as many people as you want play your games on the console you choose as your main console; however, if you then decide to use another device or play your library on someone else's console, you will only be able to if you are logged in as the user. Once you are logged out, that content is not available to your friend. That sounds reasonable to me. You could let your friend use your account while you were on holiday I suppose, but he'd have to sign out when you return otherwise you wouldn't be able to play your games.

androvsky

I heard removal of system activation limit and the only thing that pops into my head was how pissed off I was that Sony dropped the amount of handhelds that can be attached to the same PSN account from about 5 to 2. I used to have my PSN account on a PSP 3000, a PSP Go, and a PS Vita. Now, it's only on the Go and the Vita due to the removal of that feature and that annoys me since I have DLC for Little big Planet; but not a digital version of it. Also, I lost about 50+ comic books. So, I'll still a little bitter about that.

Now you can have your content on only one system that can be used like normal on the PS3, offline, other accounts can use it, whatever.

And any system you sign your account into. Main downside is on those systems, you have to use the content under your account, and you'll have to be online (at least sign into PSN).

So you can play your games on as many PS4s as you want, but only one of them can be used completely offline. If I understand correctly.

Also, why don't you move one of your activations over to the PSP 3000 so you can use your DLC?

hesido

As long as you are not sharing your content with anyone else, you'll be able to access your content from anywhere, using your own credentials. So that'll be good for you.

If you have a friend with his / her own PS3, and you are splitting PSN purchases and sharing PS Plus content, this system is worse for you, because you won't be able to play games using your own player ID, because you can only have one "home console", where content is shared between users on the console.

This was the 5ish year old explanation. Now the 10 year old trick: If you have someone you can really trust, you can designate the home console on his console, and he will designate your console his home console. This way, each player could share content they bought, and using their own credentials.

So in theory, if I wanted to continue to share games with my brother (who lives elsewhere), I'd just make his PS4 the home console, so he could log in under his name to use the content. Then I'd log-in on my PS4, and play away? This is how I'm gathering it anyway.

I think it's a "good" implementation, but I really do think one of these companies needs to hit it home with family content options. I believe in everyone buying their own stuff sure, but my brother is too young to work, and I've always liked that I could be the cool older brother who's got the games.

Spy

So in theory, if I wanted to continue to share games with my brother (who lives elsewhere), I'd just make his PS4 the home console, so he could log in under his name to use the content. Then I'd log-in on my PS4, and play away? This is how I'm gathering it anyway.

I think it's a "good" implementation, but I really do think one of these companies needs to hit it home with family content options. I believe in everyone buying their own stuff sure, but my brother is too young to work, and I've always liked that I could be the cool older brother who's got the games.
I'm assuming you'd have to be online with your non-Home account but yeah. This is the issue for me, I have a 12 year old brother who can't afford games. The plan was to go all digital this generation but it looks like I might have to go with disc.

I'm assuming you'd have to be online with your non-Home account but yeah. This is the issue for me, I have a 12 year old brother who can't afford games. The plan was to go all digital this generation but it looks like I might have to go with disc.

Well I'm fine with the online aspect of my account, I get the logging in to verify etc etc, It's a step down from how it is currently, but at least it seems doable.

Elrina

Neo Member
You are wrong and don't know what you are talking about. I game share with a plus user. I still get the plus discounts etc from his account but I DON'T get the benfit of cloud storage, setting up downloads/system updates, etc. So there is still a need to join plus if I wanted too.

This will probably be how it works on PS4. You can share SOME features of PS+ (the discounts, themes, games, etc) but not ALL (online play). You will probably still have acess to the DL list too.

Please stop spreading misinformation as we have nothing to back up your claims yet and you aren't sharing a system with a PS+ user so you don't know how this works (and I don't even know how it will work on the PS4- the video gives me nothing). But sony is a BUISNESS and they are already taking a loss with the PS4 price point given the hardware. They want you to have two systems in your home if possible. Decreasing the activations would be a bad move for them business wise.

This, and your subsequent posts, show a clear lack of understanding. Zoe has tried to point out your error, but you don't seem to have grasped it.

Sony has said that we can establish a "Home PS4" for our PSN user account (for the sake of this argument, that's also the PS+ account). They have confirmed that any other PSN user account on that PS4 will also have access to online play, as well as to all of the PS+ account's downloaded content.

They have also told us about being able to access our digital content from any other PS4 while logged into our PSN user account. We can download any of it, play any of it, access online play (assuming the account has PS+). This doesn't negate the possibility of having two activated PS4s since they haven't officially said so, but the combination of designating a Home PS4 + the new method of access on other PS4s definitely implies it.

And just so you know, I am a PS+ subscriber, so I know exactly how it works. But thanks for telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about, then spouting ignorance. You might want to check your facts before you start insulting people.

Oh, and for the people who have wondered, Sony has already said that the PS+ ecosystem applies across Vita, PS3 and PS4, so you don't have to worry about losing out on PS3 related PS+ stuff just because you get a PS4.

I don't think they've said anything about removing system activation limits

That's what has me scratching my head. They never said anything about removing activation limits. This thread should start with a fat "What if...."

I don't understand the purpose of this thread at all. It's like trying to create some PS4 negativity based on nothing. Weird.

ShapeGSX

That's what has me scratching my head. They never said anything about removing activation limits. This thread should start with a fat "What if...."

I don't understand the purpose of this thread at all. It's like trying to create some PS4 negativity based on nothing. Weird.

I think it is reasonable to assume that the "Home system" is replacing the activation system.

hesido

In the rather official 20 things to know about PS4 video, they clearly stated you'll designate ONE home console and on that console, any content you own can also be accessed by other users on that PS4. This is exactly the same function on an activated PS3, but we can have 2 PS3's (in other words, we can designate 2 PS3's as "home console".

It is also clearly stated, as long as your are online with your account, you can access all your content on any PS4. Hence the trick I mention if you are desperately in need of sharing your content on others PS4's.

Also, why don't you move one of your activations over to the PSP 3000 so you can use your DLC?

The DLC is tied to the PSP 3000 but not to the Go or Vita and I can deactivate one to activate the 3000 for use every time I want to use purchased DLC on the PSP version. Which is annoying honestly.

If having to sign into my account to use it on all three of those devices is what is being proposed. That would be good for me. All of my purchases, DLC, and so forth are under the same account that I have had forever. Okay. This would be good since it's easy enough to change my main account password should I ever need to.

What does this do for multiple users signed into the same system? Since the PS3 assigns save files to each user, this has been a way for my girlfriend and I to share games. I usually get codes for games -since I review them- and it's pretty useful for her to have her own save for stuff like Hotline Miami or Thomas Was Alone. Apparently, this gets rid of that ability? :-|

Edit: Read the post above mine, realized that this won't effect the current set up much, except for letting me access downloadable content and games on the PSP 3000 again without having to deactivate the Go or Vita.

hesido

Edit: Read the post above mine, realized that this won't effect the current set up much, except for letting me access downloadable content and games on the PSP 3000 again without having to deactivate the Go or Vita.

I'm not sure this system covers every Playstation Product, I'm guessing PS3's will work as they do now, for example, so there's this possibility that you may not gain much, actually, in PSP's regard.

I'm not sure this system covers every Playstation Product, I'm guessing PS3's will work as they do now, for example, so there's this possibility that you may not gain much, actually, in PSP's regard.

On that day, we were reminded that the world is cruel.

prag16

Banned
Bumping this to ask.... (have found no definitive info)...

Do we know yet what happens if somebody has their PSN activated on two PS3s (say theirs and their kids'), then they buy a PS4...

Do they have to deactivate one of the PS3s, or will the PS4 be "its own entity" and not be subjected to the two system limit for PS3s?

This whole activation thing has always confused me. But wouldn't removing the limit be a good thing?

For example, I think you can have your steam account on as many PCs as you want without worrying about a limit.

Bumping this to ask.... (have found no definitive info)...

Do we know yet what happens if somebody has their PSN activated on two PS3s (say theirs and their kids'), then they buy a PS4...

Do they have to deactivate one of the PS3s, or will the PS4 be "its own entity" and not be subjected to the two system limit for PS3s?
I believe PS4 counts separately. I hope I'm right because that's how it is with Vita.

prag16

Banned
I believe PS4 counts separately. I hope I'm right because that's how it is with Vita.

If it does NOT count separately, that'd certainly be pretty restrictive.

I'd imagine it makes the most sense for the PS4 to be considered separately, since they're getting rid of the concept of "activations" other than the "home console" concept.

BibiMaghoo

We know for a fact this is not true.

The pre-order text for Knack has the usual *activation for two systems* stuff that the ps3 games have.

UNCMark

Banned
This whole activation thing has always confused me. But wouldn't removing the limit be a good thing?

For example, I think you can have your steam account on as many PCs as you want without worrying about a limit.

As an Xbox 360 owner it doesn't confuse me. What Sony has done is make it impossible for two PS4s to be logged into the same account at the same time playing the same games. It's almost identical to the Xbox 360's approach except the 360 offers fewer restrictions when it comes to licenses. On 360 wherever you buy a game is that game's "home" console. On PS4 and Xbox One that changes. Now you designate one "home" and every other console you game on will be a remote system that you must be online on in order to play. Every single user on the "home" console, be it Xbox One or PS4, has rights to play every game that is associated with the main account on that console. Online or offline. And if the main account has an XBL or PS+ account, every sub-account now has it.

The pre-order text for Knack has the usual *activation for two systems* stuff that the ps3 games have.

That appears to be a remnant of past policies that didn't get updated. Sony's made it perfectly clear what their new policy is going to be.

This was already clarified by Yoshida and is actually less restrictive than it was on the PS3 unless I'm not understanding correctly. You have your "Home" console and anyone can sign into theirs with your PSN ID and download games, but only two people can be playing the games at any one time. Of course the second person has to be logged in but this opens up the number of people allowed to access your games.

yosp.png

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=86340130#post86340130

prag16

Banned

That text makes no sense in light of the whole setup with the "home" console, etc for PS4. As others said, probably a mistake.

My question was whether the PS4 would "count" towards the 2 system limit they had for PS3's, but it sounds like (while we don't know for a fact) it will not. If it did, that wouldn't really make much sense.

ptuck874

Here is how me and my bro in law are going to work it I think (yes, got him to switch to ps4 thank goodness), we go midnight to pick up our systems, he at his house, me at mine. He when booting up the console the first time, puts in all my psn info in, me all his. After that, he creates his profile on his system, and mine on mine. After that, hopefully like ps3 we can set to auto sign in on whichever profile we choose. Keeping that in mind, he buys bf4, i get kz4. We can just download to each "home" console and play on our own accounts. We aren't worried about the ps+ stuff, cause he knows he has to play that online. Does this sound right?

Hedge

So if my partner and I share a console, we won't be able to share downloaded content? Not into how this works at all. :p

BibiMaghoo

That text makes no sense in light of the whole setup with the "home" console, etc for PS4. As others said, probably a mistake.

My question was whether the PS4 would "count" towards the 2 system limit they had for PS3's, but it sounds like (while we don't know for a fact) it will not. If it did, that wouldn't really make much sense.

I assumed this meant that the PS4 would have two system activations of it's own, and that Yosp and Sony have simply designated the term 'home' console, to apply to your own, actual main account Ps4. A way of marketing the ability to gameshare, rather than pushing it into a dark room like with PS3.

UNCMark

Banned
This was already clarified by Yoshida and is actually less restrictive than it was on the PS3 unless I'm not understanding correctly. You have your "Home" console and anyone can sign into theirs with your PSN ID and download games, but only two people can be playing the games at any one time. Of course the second person has to be logged in but this opens up the number of people allowed to access your games.

It's more restrictive. And you've completely misinterpreted what was said. Read my prior post.

So if my partner and I share a console, we won't be able to share downloaded content? Not into how this works at all. :p

You can share on the same console.

Zoe

It's only less restrictive from the content owner's perspective. To the people they're trying to share with, it's a lot more restrictive. Before anyone on either of the two PS3's could play the content as if they were the owner.

UNCMark

Banned
Here is how me and my bro in law are going to work it I think (yes, got him to switch to ps4 thank goodness), we go midnight to pick up our systems, he at his house, me at mine. He when booting up the console the first time, puts in all my psn info in, me all his. After that, he creates his profile on his system, and mine on mine. After that, hopefully like ps3 we can set to auto sign in on whichever profile we choose. Keeping that in mind, he buys bf4, i get kz4. We can just download to each "home" console and play on our own accounts. We aren't worried about the ps+ stuff, cause he knows he has to play that online. Does this sound right?

That will work as long as both of you are always online. You've basically recreated the scenario that everyone moaned about with Xbox One's original DRM plans.

Hedge

It's more restrictive. And you've completely misinterpreted what was said. Read my prior post.

You can share on the same console.

Right, thanks! I have exam-brain at the moment, so anything not related to social law takes time to compute. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace

yosp.png

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=86340130#post86340130

I think it is more restrictive for the average family.

The 'home' console is a nice idea, letting everyone play. But any extra consoles you have are more likely to be used by the kids in the family, but this system requires those satellite systems to be logged in with the buyers account. That doesn't work if it is the parents buying the games

If you only have one console, you won't have to worry about it. That will be considered your "home" console, and all of your content you or your partner buys is shared on that console for anyone who logs in without fuss. So if you have a friend come over, he can log in and play Killzone or whatever even when you aren't signed in.

However, if you go to a friends house who has a PS4 and download Killzone on his console (which in this scenario, your friend does not own), you must be logged in to play it and I believe if you play your content on a non-home console, it must be connected to the internet. If he wants to play it after you leave, he'll have to buy it himself.

If you're familiar with how it works on 360, it works the same way here it sounds like.

Tsundere

Banned
I think it is more restrictive for the average family.

The 'home' console is a nice idea, letting everyone play. But any extra consoles you have are more likely to be used by the kids in the family, but this system requires those satellite systems to be logged in with the buyers account. That doesn't work if it is the parents buying the games

This really only affects digital content anyway. They don't mean for you to be able to share content with other people, but more for you to be able to have 100% access to your content across two machines.

With disc based media games, you can only play it on one machine since you have only one disc.

grumble

So convenient isn't it... pls Sony don't remove this..

What good is it for a man to gain the ps4, yet lose his beloved account system??

Well, because this guy and his brother are breaking the system. They're essentially copying the games that they each buy and handing them to the other person. Sony is trying to devise a system by which you can play games on any console you'd like but can't share games between multiple people without compensating developers.

It's somewhat annoying, but in the rare situation where you have multiple offline consoles, you should probably go physical regardless and just walk the disc upstairs. A digital future doesn't make sense for that kind of consumer.

MaulerX

This system seems identical to XBL. So no biggie. Now the question is, are they going to do like Microsoft and provide a license transfer tool in case your "home" console goes bad and you get another one etc...?

I don't think they've said anything about removing system activation limits

The recent additional pre order PS4 games on the webstore does not include any of the system activation wording like the other platforms have.
I'm thinking system activitatons are gone.

They just let us have 2, 3 ,4 whatever # of console as long they are running on the same network.
Who benefits from this:

• Brothers
  • Couples
  • Parents
  • Roommates

I can tell you as someone who had to deal with multiple 360's in his home. Activation limits need to be increased. Having one home console in a house with multiple consoles is just not going to work. Especially if you have multiple users in one home.

My situation was that I had to pick and choose where my content would be played instead of being available on all of my consoles. That meant that others in my own household would not be able to play games or access dlc on my consoles.

Locking it down to users is just a stupid idea especially given these devices are meant to be ecosystems for a household. If the companies idea is to have one of these consoles in each room for entertainment purposes they need to open up these horrendous practices. Allow for main accounts and sub accounts under PS+ and XBL that aren't locked to one console.

Don't get me started on license transfers or vita's activation crap or lack of multiple PSN accounts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can tell you as someone who had to deal with multiple 360's in his home. Activation limits need to be increased. Having one home console in a house with multiple consoles is just not going to work. Especially if you have multiple users in one home.

My situation was that I had to pick and choose where my content would be played instead of being available on all of my consoles. That meant that others in my own household would not be able to play games or access dlc on my consoles.

Locking it down to users is just a stupid idea especially given these devices are meant to be ecosystems for a household. If the companies idea is to have one of these consoles in each room for entertainment purposes they need to open up these horrendous practices. Allow for main accounts and sub accounts under PS+ and XBL that aren't locked to one console.

Don't get me started on license transfers or vita's activation crap or lack of multiple PSN accounts.

I'd be happy for some kind of IP lock, or requiring additional authentication if I unplug it (i.e to move it to another house). Just some system that isn't as restrictive inside a home.

it makes me happy they are doing this

I have owned 6 ps3s since launch. moving movie purchasing/playing game rights from one machine to the next is an assache.

Top Bottom