• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 removal of system activation limit? How will this affect you?

ptuck874

That will work as long as both of you are always online. You've basically recreated the scenario that everyone moaned about with Xbox One's original DRM plans.

oh yeah, no problems with that, both got great internet connections, very rarely down except when power goes out :)

lucius

I know why some prefer the 360 way of DRM, but I always liked the two activations more. If it is true that they removed one activation I just won't be buying another PS4 for different room no matter how cheap they get. I will also buy less big games releases digital, still will pick up the good PSN and indie release though.

I live in a house with 3 PS3s so I was already screwed over by Sony a few years ago and now again with the PS4. It's like Sony doesn't want people to buy their system for multiple rooms.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I only have 1 ps3. I'll eventually use it along with one Vita and one PS4, so I'd hope nothing stupid would happen in my situation.

Wurdfurd

Doubt this will ever affect me. I plan on having just the one console. That being said I hope they dont make it terrible to switch the "Home" console just in case it ever needs to be replaced (ie hardware failure, theft, etc). Thats a big deal for me since I plan on going 100% digital this gen (at least on PS4).

Red Mage

So basically it's like now except the other console has to be logged on to play anything they download from the owners account?

That's different from the XBO in that I, as the owner, do not have to be logged in to use the stuff I own on my primary system. Sucks for those who have kids, but the only loss I see is personal trophies. Am I wrong?

Shahed

Extremely annoying if true.

What's a family with multiple consoles and gamers supposed to do? Buy more copies of the game or DLC? If anything stuff like this discourages me from going digital just like the stupid account system on the Vita. I pretty much never go digital despite doing so quite often on PS3.

UNCMark

Banned
So basically it's like now except the other console has to be logged on to play anything they download from the owners account?

That's different from the XBO in that I, as the owner, do not have to be logged in to use the stuff I own on my primary system. Sucks for those who have kids, but the only loss I see is personal trophies. Am I wrong?

You are in fact wrong. You don't have to be logged in on the Xbox One on the primary system either. Sony and MS are literally using the same exact system this time. You're also wrong about trophies. Sub-accounts logged into the "home" console get trophies and all the benefits of PS+/XBL.

Me too, it sounds like you have to be logged in on the 2nd PS4 which sucks. I have two PS3s with multiple users, they can all play my games without my main account logged in. Looks like Sony is out to get the gamesharers.

This ain't cool man... Me and my buddies have been gamesharing in pairs by splitting the cost 50/50 for 2 years now! Sony, why you gotta get so smart...

Me and my fiance game share ever so slightly, and only in specific cases. I think we'll be fine.

Worst case scenario we either have to play split screen in the living room or I'll get her a copy.

Red Mage

You are in fact wrong. You don't have to be logged in on the Xbox One on the primary system either. Sony and MS are literally using the same exact system this time. You're also wrong about trophies. Sub-accounts logged into the "home" console get trophies and all the benefits of PS+/XBL.

I was talking about pre-180 XBO. As for trophies that's good then.

Hmm, when MS was doing this people went nuts, it actually is one of the reasons I am not buying an Xbone. Will wait for clarity but yeah, families and all. No reason I should have to buy 2 copies of a game to play with kids especially since they are shit canning spitscreen more and more.

Top Bottom